Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Question about Eric's broken nose

Go down 
+12
slippy123
WhereHateRunsRed
bubbles
Draw_It_White
TheSpiral
ThoughtBox
Freezingmoon
Jenn
Jbow89
tfsa47090
shades
Lizpuff
16 posters
AuthorMessage

Question about Eric's broken nose Empty
PostSubject: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 4:58 pm

First time poster, and I have not seen this discussed. It's reported that after Eric shot Cassie Bernall, the subsequent recoil from the shotgun broke his nose. A witness described him having blood on his face and his nose looked odd, pushed off to the side, or something to that effect.

My question is in the cafeteria surveillance tapes there does not appear to be blood on his face or clothes, particularly his white shirt. Any thoughts or explanations?
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96174
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 5:16 pm

Poor video quality maybe?

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 5:25 pm

It is poor quality but there is a scene of him running I think after they partially detonated the bomb and it just appears that there's nothing either on his face or shirt. It really doesn't matter, but it's one of the things I wonder about, especially since the suicide pretty much decimated his head, as far as determining that fact at his autopsy.
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

Contribution Points : 79736
Forum Reputation : 38

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 5:41 pm

there's one screenshot, I can't find it now but there's basically a realllyyy dark shadow under his nose which I eventually assumed was the blood.
But, yeah referring to the surveillance footage is hard cuz the quality's super poor.

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 5:48 pm

Thanks! It was just something I was curious about and wondering if others had any additional information or opinions on. I definitely believe he broke his nose from the recoil, I just assumed the blood or staining would be visible in the surveillance tapes.
Back to top Go down
tfsa47090
Global Moderator & Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 101063
Forum Reputation : 91

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 6:50 pm

Tomb wrote:
It is poor quality but there is a scene of him running I think after they partially detonated the bomb and it just appears that there's nothing either on his face or shirt. It really doesn't matter, but it's one of the things I wonder about, especially since the suicide pretty much decimated his head, as far as determining that fact at his autopsy.

liquorvamp wrote:
there's one screenshot, I can't find it now but there's basically a realllyyy dark shadow under his nose which I eventually assumed was the blood.
But, yeah referring to the surveillance footage is hard cuz the quality's super poor.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 7:43 pm

I'm trying to see it, but to me, in the first picture it looks like his mouth is partially open and the second photo I can hardly make anything out. Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
Jbow89

Contribution Points : 74985
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 11:40 pm

I've always wondered this too. It's possible he could have bumped his nose really hard causing it to bleed without breaking it.

Also is it possible that he broke his nose when he blew his cranium to pieces?
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 118783
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 1:01 am

Jbow89 wrote:
I've always wondered this too. It's possible he could have bumped his nose really hard causing it to bleed without breaking it.

I'm pretty sure his nose was broken. His shotgun was cut down so the kickback would've been really strong. Strong enough where it was ripping their hands up at Rampart Range. And it hit him full force right in the nose. If getting punched in a nose can break it, I'm almost certain that his shotgun broke his.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 6:21 am

Jenn wrote:
Jbow89 wrote:

I'm pretty sure his nose was broken. His shotgun was cut down so the kickback would've been really strong. Strong enough where it was ripping their hands up at Rampart Range. And it hit him full force right in the nose. If getting punched in a nose can break it, I'm almost certain that his shotgun broke his.

Yes I definitely agree he broke his nose after shooting Cassie. Having had shoulder surgery simply from the recoil force of a legal length 12 gauge shotgun, I can only imagine the injury he sustained to his nose.

Full disclosure, I weigh 100 pounds with not a lot of mass to absorb the recoils. It hurts lol. I shot for a couple years prior to surgery.
Back to top Go down
Freezingmoon

Freezingmoon

Contribution Points : 77495

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 9:18 am

Tomb wrote:
Jenn wrote:
Jbow89 wrote:

Yes I definitely agree he broke his nose after shooting Cassie. Having had shoulder surgery simply from the recoil force of a legal length 12 gauge shotgun, I can only imagine the injury he sustained to his nose.

Full disclosure, I weigh 100 pounds with not a lot of mass to absorb the recoils. It hurts lol. I shot for a couple years prior to surgery.

Do you think it stunned him and made him want to end the shooting sooner.....or made him unable to think clearly? I've never fired a weapon or broken a bone before, so I honestly have no idea with either are like.
Back to top Go down
ThoughtBox

ThoughtBox

Contribution Points : 83921
Forum Reputation : 13

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 10:19 am

Imagine if the force of the recoil hit him hard enough to knock him out unconscious in the library, now THAT would have been something! I could imagine a scenario where Dylan may try to revive him, giving students an opportunity to either escape or to gang up and subdue Dylan. Ah, the things that could have been...

“Despair is the price one pays for self-awareness. Look deeply into life, and you'll always find despair.” -- Irvin D. Yalom, MD

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
TheSpiral

TheSpiral

Contribution Points : 74864
Forum Reputation : 63

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 10:43 am

Tomb wrote:
First time poster, and I have not seen this discussed. It's reported that after Eric shot Cassie Bernall, the subsequent recoil from the shotgun broke his nose. A witness described him having blood on his face and his nose looked odd, pushed off to the side, or something to that effect.

My question is in the cafeteria surveillance tapes there does not appear to be blood on his face or clothes, particularly his white shirt. Any thoughts or explanations?

Maybe he wiped the blood off after exiting the library?
Back to top Go down
ThoughtBox

ThoughtBox

Contribution Points : 83921
Forum Reputation : 13

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 1:29 pm

PotatoSallad wrote:
Tomb wrote:

Maybe he wiped the blood off after exiting the library?

That would be the most reasonable answer to the question, no?

“Despair is the price one pays for self-awareness. Look deeply into life, and you'll always find despair.” -- Irvin D. Yalom, MD
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 98018
Forum Reputation : 154

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 2:28 pm

Noses can be broken without them bleeding. Perhaps the blood came from his mouth. People did say it looked like he was drinking blood.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 4:22 pm

ThoughtBox wrote:
Imagine if the force of the recoil hit him hard enough to knock him out unconscious in the library, now THAT would have been something! I could imagine a scenario where Dylan may try to revive him, giving students an opportunity to either escape or to gang up and subdue Dylan.  Ah, the things that could have been...

I absolutely cringe at the thought of a legal length shotgun hitting me in the face, much less a sawed off shotgun. I'm really surprised it didn't knock him out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 4:24 pm

I tend to agree he probably wiped the blood away. Again thanks for all the input and everyone's perspectives.
Back to top Go down
bubbles

Contribution Points : 75017

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 4:59 pm

ThoughtBox wrote:
Imagine if the force of the recoil hit him hard enough to knock him out unconscious in the library, now THAT would have been something! I could imagine a scenario where Dylan may try to revive him, giving students an opportunity to either escape or to gang up and subdue Dylan.  Ah, the things that could have been...

Never thought of it the way. Such a shame..I really wish one of them, if not both of them, had been taken alive..
Back to top Go down
WhereHateRunsRed

WhereHateRunsRed

Contribution Points : 81829

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2016 3:54 am

Are there any clear photos of the writing on his shirt or blood stains? First photo looks like smeared blood around his mouth and upper lip to me
Back to top Go down
slippy123

slippy123

Contribution Points : 105413
Forum Reputation : 1235

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2016 1:23 pm

He obviously wiped the blood away.

I can see in the first picture where there is a little blood.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96174
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2016 2:04 pm

I have been reading thru the 11k and I remember a few witnesses from the cafeteria reporting blood all over Eric's shirt. But I certainly can't see any on these screenshots

I can see his receding hair line though lmao

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
slippy123

slippy123

Contribution Points : 105413
Forum Reputation : 1235

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2016 5:22 pm

It doesn't help it was recorded with a potato either lol
Back to top Go down
anonacc489

Contribution Points : 74541

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2016 11:09 pm

tfsa47090 wrote:
Tomb wrote:

liquorvamp wrote:

I've never seen the top photo before or anything like it. Where's it from?
Back to top Go down
tfsa47090
Global Moderator & Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 101063
Forum Reputation : 91

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2016 12:10 am

anonacc489 wrote:
tfsa47090 wrote:
Tomb wrote:

liquorvamp wrote:

I've never seen the top photo before or anything like it. Where's it from?

I wish I could tell you where I found that (the top photo), but for the life of me, I cannot remember. What I do know is that I found it a good few years ago, and I did not find it on tumblr. And I know that because of its timestamp (the file on my computer).

The second one I did find on tumblr a few years back. (Again, I know because of the file's timestamp on my computer. I remember when I started going on tumblr).
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

Contribution Points : 96566
Forum Reputation : 52

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2016 1:09 am

If you don't mind me answering the question, I believe that the top photo was shown at the Columbine exhibition back in 2005 and has been circulating since then.If I am wrong, someone please correct me.
I have never seen the second still before.I'm always glad to see something new but wish it was clearer.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
Nirvana92

Nirvana92

Contribution Points : 83214
Forum Reputation : 80

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2016 2:19 am

tfsa47090 wrote:
Tomb wrote:

liquorvamp wrote:

The dark on his shirt between the 2 black straps could be blood. He was wearing a white shirt with NATURAL SELECTION in black letters, but that dark spot looks too thick to be the lettering on his shirt. I can't imagine that he wouldn't have blood on his shirt. Anyone whos ever received a significant wound knows how messy blood is. Its incredibly hard to keep your clothes clean when you're bleeding that much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2016 8:58 am

Something I just thought of is how absolutely annoying (to me, at least) it is having a runny or bloody nose. It's one of the most distracting and annoying sensations to me, so I believe he wiped it off before those stills in the cafeteria.
Back to top Go down
radaddio

Contribution Points : 83415
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2016 1:09 pm

You can see it in the first pic under his nose. I would imagine that the rest would be on his right glove from wiping it off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about Eric's broken nose   Question about Eric's broken nose Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about Eric's broken nose
Page 1 of 1