Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Can you pray for your child's death?

Go down 
+2
cyn1231
Kida
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kida

Kida

Contribution Points : 73540
Forum Reputation : 0

Can you pray for your child's death? Empty
PostSubject: Can you pray for your child's death?   Can you pray for your child's death? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 8:08 pm

When Dylan was in school, shooting people, Sue prayed for his death as she states in her interviews.
But, as a loving and caring parent (as she describes herself), can you pray for such thing? Can a mother wish for her son to die?

Lets not forget that she only knew Dylan as being one of the shooters. She was still the fooled mother in denial in that moment, unaware of Dylan's true desires/plans.
She didn't seem concerned (and she states this in her book) about the victims in that particular day, her thoughts were focused only on Dylan.

I'm not trying to say that she was a bad mom and I don't blame her for what happened, but she wrote some things I can't get past.

Back to top Go down
cyn1231

cyn1231

Contribution Points : 74307
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Can you pray for your child's death?   Can you pray for your child's death? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 8:22 pm

I saw this brought up recently by YouTuber onision in which he criticized the true crime community on tumblr, namely e&d admirers. Prior to seeing this, I had never viewed her words as inappropriate, wishing her son was dead, I'm not a parent so maybe that's why. Once he put it in perspective it made sense to me. It's odd that she said that because why didn't she wish for Dylan to be safely apprehended by police and for all the killing to stop that way? is a quite unusual and honestly insensitive thing for a mom to say in my opinion
Back to top Go down
Kida

Kida

Contribution Points : 73540

PostSubject: Re: Can you pray for your child's death?   Can you pray for your child's death? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 8:46 pm

You can say that onision's video inspired me to start this topic.
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

Contribution Points : 96941
Forum Reputation : 52

PostSubject: Re: Can you pray for your child's death?   Can you pray for your child's death? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 9:48 pm

I cannot imagine it but then that's a once in a lifetime situation.
To be fair Sue said in The Far from the Tree book that she did it because she couldn't stand to see Dylan go into the legal system and be executed.She said that if he killed himself at least she would know he wanted to die instead of being shot down by police.
I'm not sure why but this context is totally missing from the book and all recent interviews.Maybe she got a lot of criticism for saying it once the FFTT book came out?

Maybe her publishers for her book said this would offend people or maker her look bad in some way?

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
cyn1231

cyn1231

Contribution Points : 74307
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Can you pray for your child's death?   Can you pray for your child's death? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 10:12 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] great to make a topic out of this I never thought of it the way he did...curious to know other opinions
Back to top Go down
jp2892

jp2892

Contribution Points : 72710

PostSubject: Re: Can you pray for your child's death?   Can you pray for your child's death? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 1:20 am

I believe she did this for a few different reasons -
1) As stated above, she didn't want Dylan to have to endure the incredibly harsh legal consequences that would've come down on him if he got caught.
2) She didn't want him to be shot by police. Again, as said above, if he killed himself then at least she'd know that he wanted to die.
3) What I believe to be the MAIN reason she prayed for her son's death: he was hurting/killing people. Sure, she was in denial, but the very possibility that Dylan might be doing what the police say he's doing terrified her. I'm paraphrasing but she said something along the lines of "if my son really is doing these awful things, he needs to be stopped as soon as possible. So I prayed for his death."
I don't see it as an insensitive thing, but rather a prayer of desperation.
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

Contribution Points : 80111
Forum Reputation : 38

PostSubject: Re: Can you pray for your child's death?   Can you pray for your child's death? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 5:05 am

Okay so....alright. So this is my take on this and, strangely enough I was just thinking about Sue saying this exact thing before I saw this thread in the shower today.

I'm not sure if you're asking can a person "pray" for somebody to ___. But for what Sue is saying, I totally get what she means and i understand it. Hoping for Dylan to die is his and her last chance as he was involved so that he wouldn't continue harming others if it means she has to sacrifice hoping for her Son's safety, and would rather he take himself out first. She IS thinking about other's children not about Dylan, hence she WANTED him to die so he wouldn't be shooting other people.

You cannot take words so literally, seriously, you can't understand as the way the sentence is. There's no other way for people to word what they mean sometimes. Hearing it the first time you would think that's weird, who wishes that for their son?
Somebody who means they want them to stop harming others, if it meant he had to go down first. and in terms of praying for something, that's almost talking about religion which I can't get into or indulge in as I'm a skeptic and I don't really believe or settle on prayers or blessings or the whole God wanted this and that and blablabla to happen.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] "2) She didn't want him to be shot by police. Again, as said above, if he killed himself then at least she'd know that he wanted to die."
Pretty much that too.

Bottomline she didn't pretty much "pray" for something to happen as Dylan went and did something he already wanted to do anyway. People make corny things out of crimes and the dead way too much.

NEXT STEP UP

Contribution Points : 43205
Forum Reputation : 720

PostSubject: Re: Can you pray for your child's death?   Can you pray for your child's death? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2022 2:44 am

It's such a strange thing to say imo. I highly doubt she was abusive, but I think her mindset back then was vastly different to the one she has now.

Think with your noggin, not your n!ggin'.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you pray for your child's death?   Can you pray for your child's death? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can you pray for your child's death?
Page 1 of 1