Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Anyone ever feel like Littleton sort of follows you?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
fatlittleparasite

Contribution Points : 97952
Forum Reputation : 4

Anyone ever feel like Littleton sort of follows you? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone ever feel like Littleton sort of follows you?   Anyone ever feel like Littleton sort of follows you? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2016 7:45 pm

It's far less populated than some of the other nearby Denver suburbs, yet Littleton seems to come up often for me outside the context of Columbine. For example in high school a girl I knew had to move to Colorado with her family and she ended up in Littleton going to Chatfield. Also, I was recently reminded of a karate instructor my friend and I thought was cute when we took lessons as kids, so I decided to look him up on Facebook out of curiosity and it turns out he lives and works in Littleton now. I know there have been other situations where there have been few degrees of separation between me and someone in Littleton but I can't remember them. I just find it interesting that at out of the only 44k in Littleton, at least 2 are from my own suburb of about 60k 1500miles east. I know these aren't tiny populations but it's not like knowing someone who moved to Denver.

It's got me wondering if Littleton has some unique pull factors that could be making this situation more than a coincidence. Anyone know anything about Littleton being a hot spot to move to or see it popping up in your own life like this?
Back to top Go down
slippy123

slippy123

Contribution Points : 105663
Forum Reputation : 1235

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever feel like Littleton sort of follows you?   Anyone ever feel like Littleton sort of follows you? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 1:33 am

Idk anyone from Littleton, so I couldn't tell you, but I'd like to check out the Denver area sometime!
Back to top Go down
Nirvana92

Nirvana92

Contribution Points : 83464
Forum Reputation : 80

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever feel like Littleton sort of follows you?   Anyone ever feel like Littleton sort of follows you? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 1:27 pm

There's actually a name for that. Its called the Baader Meinhof effect. Basically once you learn about something you're more likely to notice when it comes up. If someone is big into reasearching Columbine then they're more likely to recognize a reference with relevance to the tragedy. Here's an article about it:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I know what you mean though. Littleton seems to come up quite a bit for a town of its size. About a month after I first got into reading about Columbine I found out some friends of my family moved to Littleton. Then my brothers ex wife moved to right outside the Littleton area about a year ago. I thought it was kind of odd at the time lol.
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

Contribution Points : 79986
Forum Reputation : 38

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever feel like Littleton sort of follows you?   Anyone ever feel like Littleton sort of follows you? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 1:41 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] INTERESTING. thank you!

Nirvana92

Contribution Points : 83464
Forum Reputation : 80

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever feel like Littleton sort of follows you?   Anyone ever feel like Littleton sort of follows you? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 1:49 pm

No problem! I actually just learned about that the other day, so I got Baader Meinhof myself by teaching you about Baader Meinhof hahaha.
Back to top Go down
fatlittleparasite

Contribution Points : 97952
Forum Reputation : 4

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever feel like Littleton sort of follows you?   Anyone ever feel like Littleton sort of follows you? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 5:23 pm

Lol Nirvana92 I almost mentioned that in my post! I'm sure that's all it is. I have been researching for about 10 years so it makes sense that it would come up a lot. I was going to say it shouldn't count since I've been interested for so long and those were so recent but then I remembered how long I've actually been out of high school Razz
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

Contribution Points : 79986
Forum Reputation : 38

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever feel like Littleton sort of follows you?   Anyone ever feel like Littleton sort of follows you? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 6:38 pm

I have yet to read up and learn more about the Baader Meinhof phenomenon, key words surrounding it is something like synchronicity , etc, but just to ask, is it also something such as one subconsciously expects the thing to show up again, or be brought up again in your day, like...in a way you are expecting to face the particular thing again but without even realizing it? or is it more like a the work of higher forces or stars aligning and it just aligns with your life.
do you know what I mean?

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96424
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever feel like Littleton sort of follows you?   Anyone ever feel like Littleton sort of follows you? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 5:38 am

My brother's girlfriend just moved to our state from Colorado. I found out on Saturday she was from Littleton and went to Ken Caryl middle school. I was like wow...small world.

She knows about Columbine but doesn't really care about it.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever feel like Littleton sort of follows you?   Anyone ever feel like Littleton sort of follows you? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever feel like Littleton sort of follows you?
Page 1 of 1