Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

E/D Followers

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

E/D Followers Empty
PostSubject: E/D Followers   E/D Followers Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 6:12 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
A list of all the people who are obsessed with Columbine, idolize Eric and Dylan and are inspired by them to attack their own schools. No matter how many years go by, it will never end!!
Back to top Go down
Grandma

Contribution Points : 101797
Forum Reputation : 6

E/D Followers Empty
PostSubject: Re: E/D Followers   E/D Followers Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 8:30 am

I think one of the reason for so many imitators is the big media coverage and the lot of stuff you can get online. Especially the surveillance tape from the cafeteria is cruel and fascinating at the same time. Like a car accident, you don't want to look but you can't stop looking.
Back to top Go down

E/D Followers Empty
PostSubject: Re: E/D Followers   E/D Followers Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 8:53 am

Because E/D were fully willing to commit suicide, they were in a powerful position. They were free to live out their wildest fantasies without concern for the consequences. Although that power was short-lived, it was intense while it lasted.

Power feels good. I think humans are naturally attracted to it. I think a lot of people are fascinated by E/D's passion and intensity. I think Columbine is so popular in the media because a lot of people would like to have the same power that E/D had, but at the same time, they don't want to commit suicide to have it.
Back to top Go down
Grandma

Contribution Points : 101797
Forum Reputation : 6

E/D Followers Empty
PostSubject: Re: E/D Followers   E/D Followers Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 12:42 pm

AussieLurker wrote:
Because E/D were fully willing to commit suicide, they were in a powerful position. They were free to live out their wildest fantasies without concern for the consequences. Although that power was short-lived, it was intense while it lasted.

Power feels good. I think humans are naturally attracted to it. I think a lot of people are fascinated by E/D's passion and intensity. I think Columbine is so popular in the media because a lot of people would like to have the same power that E/D had, but at the same time, they don't want to commit suicide to have it.

I totally agree with you.
Back to top Go down
Laeda

Contribution Points : 101956
Forum Reputation : 0

E/D Followers Empty
PostSubject: Re: E/D Followers   E/D Followers Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 3:55 pm

E/D made a big deal about their reasons being widely known and kickstart something, and so they did.
I didn't know any of those though except VTech and Jokela

Contribution Points : 100022

E/D Followers Empty
PostSubject: Re: E/D Followers   E/D Followers Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 9:11 pm

Laeda wrote:
E/D made a big deal about their reasons being widely known and kickstart something, and so they did.

Do you think that V-Tech or Jokela would have happened without inspiration from Columbine?

What do you think would have happened if E/D's bombs had exploded? Do you think that people like Cho would have been inspired to do a bombing rather than a shooting?

Do you think that even if E/D hadn't attacked their school, someone else would have eventually planned something that huge?
Back to top Go down

E/D Followers Empty
PostSubject: Re: E/D Followers   E/D Followers Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 9:51 pm

StinkyOldGrapes wrote:
Laeda wrote:

Do you think that V-Tech or Jokela would have happened without inspiration from Columbine?

What do you think would have happened if E/D's bombs had exploded? Do you think that people like Cho would have been inspired to do a bombing rather than a shooting?

Do you think that even if E/D hadn't attacked their school, someone else would have eventually planned something that huge?

I think it would have happened anyways.  It was a storm brewing to begin with.  Columbine itself was inspired by the condition of living in the United States, and the world, and a global society that had reached critical mass with no more breathing room.

EDITED TO ADD: If people on a heavily-populated planet were literally running out of oxygen, they'd be going postal all over.  It's fine and good to value human diversity and cooperation and things, but try saying that when you won't be able to breathe in a few years.

I think if the bombs had gone off, there would still be shootings.  There would be more bombings, though.  More arsons.  More vehicle hijacking-crashings.  Spree killers might have gotten more creative if there was such glaring evidence that a bombing could work.  Whatever gets 'em dead.

Last edited by FredPete on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:01 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Additional thoughts, clarification)
Back to top Go down
StinkyOldGrapes

E/D Followers Empty
PostSubject: Re: E/D Followers   E/D Followers Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 11:34 pm

Quote :
I think if the bombs had gone off, there would still be shootings.  There would be more bombings, though.  More arsons.  More vehicle hijacking-crashings.  Spree killers might have gotten more creative if there was such glaring evidence that a bombing could work.  Whatever gets 'em dead.

I agree.

I still think it's odd though that people who claim to be inspired by Columbine aren't more creative. A big part of what shocked the world with Columbine was how over-the-top (almost cartoonish) it was. Assorted bombs, knives, matching clothing, etc. People are supposed to go postal because they are desperate, not because it sounds like fun way to spend the day. Eric wasn't inspired by other shooters, he was inspired by Doom (I don't mean that it's the game's fault, but it was clear that it excited him).

V-Tech outdid Columbine by a mile, but I can't even recall a single victim's name. Sandy Hook was gross, but I have no desire to see Lanza's journal. Creativity seems a better way to get remembered. Or do you think there's some other reason why Columbine refuses to die and other mass murderers can't seem to get the same attention? Why exactly does Columbine stick out so much?
Back to top Go down

E/D Followers Empty
PostSubject: Re: E/D Followers   E/D Followers Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 11:46 pm

StinkyOldGrapes wrote:
Quote :

I agree.

I still think it's odd though that people who claim to be inspired by Columbine aren't more creative. A big part of what shocked the world with Columbine was how over-the-top (almost cartoonish) it was. Assorted bombs, knives, matching clothing, etc. People are supposed to go postal because they are desperate, not because it sounds like fun way to spend the day. Eric wasn't inspired by other shooters, he was inspired by Doom (I don't mean that it's the game's fault, but it was clear that it excited him).

V-Tech outdid Columbine by a mile, but I can't even recall a single victim's name. Sandy Hook was gross, but I have no desire to see Lanza's journal. Creativity seems a better way to get remembered. Or do you think there's some other reason why Columbine refuses to die and other mass murderers can't seem to get the same attention? Why exactly does Columbine stick out so much?

There's a lot of reasons why Columbine was and remains the most iconic and unique. Some of the reasons I can think of is the media that surrounded it on April 20th and after. The media practically turned Eric and Dylan into celebrities overnight. The fact that it happened in such a normal, conservative and upper middle class area. All of the myths that came from it. Two shooters instead of one. The amount of information that's available. Eric and Dylan are such relatable teens.
Back to top Go down
StinkyOldGrapes

E/D Followers Empty
PostSubject: Re: E/D Followers   E/D Followers Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 12:05 am

Quote :
Two shooters instead of one.

This could be a large part of it. It's not easy to dismiss someone as crazy if they have a friend who supports them.

Contribution Points : 101956

E/D Followers Empty
PostSubject: Re: E/D Followers   E/D Followers Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 11:28 am

CatherineM813 wrote:
Some of the reasons I can think of is the media that surrounded it on April 20th and after. The media practically turned Eric and Dylan into celebrities overnight. The fact that it happened in such a normal, conservative and upper middle class area. All of the myths that came from it. Two shooters instead of one. The amount of information that's available. Eric and Dylan are such relatable teens.

I agree here

E/D Followers Empty
PostSubject: Re: E/D Followers   E/D Followers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

E/D Followers
Page 1 of 1