Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Most Scary and devestating melee weapons in a mass murder scenario

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Most Dangerous
 Two Knives
 Hammers
 Sword
 Machete
 Mace/club
 Hatchets
 large Axe
 push daggers
 Spear/Pike/Lance
View results
AuthorMessage
TheyAllFloatDownHere

PostSubject: Most Scary and devestating melee weapons in a mass murder scenario   Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:53 pm

From time to time instead of seeing mass shootings on the news, events such as mass stabbings or axe rampages tend to happen, mainly in places with strict firearms control such as China and Japan. what is unusual is many of these primitive killers tend to kill more people than the average shooting toll which i believe is around 4 -7 deaths. For example during the Sagimahara stabbings at least 19 people died from being stabbed in the neck by the knifeman (reason its so high for a knife attack is probably because the victims being disabled and also sleeping). aside from sagimahara there have been many brutal mass murder events involving melee weapons including:

the Ruzhou No. 2 high school stabbing in China - 9 dead
Osaka school massacre - 8 dead
Kunming Train station attack - 35 dead (multiple perpetrators with knives)
Anne Anne kindergarten stabbings - 6 dead (37 others stabbed)
Cologne school massacre - 10 dead (Lance and Mace responsible for majority of deaths)
William Unek rampage - 57 dead (Used axe and Lee enfield, axe responsible for majority of murders)
Tsuyama Massacre - 31 dead (Shotgun used but Katana responsible for a large amount of deaths)

Following the attacks mentioned above what do you think would be the most lethal melee weapon in an attack scenario? It would be interesting to know as attacks involving melee weapons aren't discussed much and in my view i would be more startled of an attacker with two long knives sprinting around stabbing people up and leaving horrific sets of wounds. In my eyes i would see the Axe as the most lethal melee as it has seemed to rack up many kills in axe murders or these rampages in specific William Unek, also the hacking attack from axes causes lethal open wounds but despite that two knives can inflict numerous wounds in a matter of seconds.

What do you think is the most unnerving and dangerous melee weapon? im curious on peoples thoughts and opinions on quite an unknown and uncommon topic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smiggles94

PostSubject: Re: Most Scary and devestating melee weapons in a mass murder scenario   Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:07 pm

Machete would be a great secondary
Back to top Go down
View user profile
STK

PostSubject: Re: Most Scary and devestating melee weapons in a mass murder scenario   Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:29 pm

TheyAllFloatDownHere wrote:

what is unusual is many of these primitive killers tend to kill more people than the average shooting toll which i believe is around 4 -7 deaths
I've noticed that recent mass shootings , such as the NYC Hospital shooting, have had fewer casualties then before. The Fort Lauderdale airport shooting (5 dead, 6 wounded) and the Weis market shooting (3 dead , 0 wounded) are the worst non-terror related shootings of last year. Meanwhile, terror attacks are occurring more frequently and are causing more casualties.

Cologne school massacre - 10 dead (Lance and Mace responsible for majority of deaths)
I believe that the majority of the deaths (8/10) in the Cologne Massacre were due to injuries sustained by a flamethrower, although I could be wrong.

Mystic808

PostSubject: Re: Most Scary and devestating melee weapons in a mass murder scenario   Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:58 pm

machete and large axe Sad Shocked

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I'll be under your stars ~FOREVER~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheyAllFloatDownHere

PostSubject: Re: Most Scary and devestating melee weapons in a mass murder scenario   Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:35 am

Your right about the non terrorist shootings having a now lower average than before. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by TheyAllFloatDownHere on Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheyAllFloatDownHere

PostSubject: Re: Most Scary and devestating melee weapons in a mass murder scenario   Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:41 am

STK wrote:

I believe that the majority of the deaths (8/10) in the Cologne Massacre were due to injuries sustained by a flamethrower, although I could be wrong.

The flamethrower injured a large number of kids and i only think 1 or 2 died from the burns, i think they were injured by the flamethrower and then finished off with the lance. i may be wrong as Cologne is something i haven't looked into for a while
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sscc
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Most Scary and devestating melee weapons in a mass murder scenario   Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:49 am

STK wrote:

what is unusual is many of these primitive killers tend to kill more people than the average shooting toll which i believe is around 4 -7 deaths
I've noticed that recent mass shootings , such as the NYC Hospital shooting, have had fewer casualties then before. The Fort Lauderdale airport shooting (5 dead, 6 wounded) and the Weis market shooting (3 dead , 0 wounded) are the worst non-terror related shootings of last year. Meanwhile, terror attacks are occurring more frequently and are causing more casualties.
Can't forget Alexandre Bissonnette [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and Ali Sonboly [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] if we are talking about foreign attacks as well. They were fairly deadly.

I will once again take this opportunity to bring up the mass stabbing that occurred on the same day as Sandy Hook in a village in China.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
An adult perpetrator entered the elementary school and stabbed a number of people, in many ways mirroring what went on at Sandy Hook Elementary, except for the fact that a knife was the weapon of choice. There were 24 injuries, some very serious, but no deaths.

I think the idea of mass stabbings being more deadly than mass shootings is untrue. The Kunming attack was only as deadly as it was because there were multiple perpetrators (not to mention that it was terror related). Imagine 8 people attacking inside of a train station with rifles or pistols. I would say that Unek is another special case, both occurring a long time ago and involving firearms, as well as taking place in multiple attacks. A similar exception applies in the Tsuyama massacre, as it was a long time ago and firearms were also involved. As you mentioned in the Sagimahara incident, knife/blade attacks would generally seem to require special circumstances or the addition of firearms to come close to the worst mass shootings.

We can certainly point to a few high body counts in cases of mass stabbings but I think we can point to many more in cases of mass shootings. I have not looked at any statistics detailing the average death toll for one method versus the other but based on my time looking at mass shootings, it seems that I would be able to name at least a dozen shootings (or, attacks where guns were the primary weapons) where the number of deaths exceeded 10, with at least a handful that caused many more casualties than your estimate, as well as another dozen or so that slightly exceed the estimate of 4-7 deaths (and tons that fall within that range). Many of the most recent mass murder attempts using bladed weapons, even including axes and hatchets, have caused a good number of injuries but resulted in no deaths at all aside from the perpetrators, so while 3 or even 5 deaths may seem like "nothing" compared to the deadliest mass shootings, it seems to me that the average death toll for shootings will always top the death toll for stabbings.

I know that this was not the main point of the thread so I apologize for taking things slightly off topic. I thought it was relevant enough to bring up, given that you mentioned the average number of casualties, but I am certainly no expert on mass stabbings so if someone has information that contradicts what I said above, please share.

STK

PostSubject: Re: Most Scary and devestating melee weapons in a mass murder scenario   Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:33 am

sscc wrote:
STK wrote:

Can't forget Alexandre Bissonnette [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and Ali Sonboly [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] if we are talking about foreign attacks as well. They were fairly deadly.
Sorry I forgot to type something in my original comment I meant of THE last year (2017). 2016 had more shootings with greater casualties, but still fewer than previous attacks. That may just be some sick sort of "nostalgia" speaking though.

TheSpiral
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Most Scary and devestating melee weapons in a mass murder scenario   Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:50 am

A spiked battle mace. Cracking skulls wide open, quick and easy handeling. Works against armored targets too.

Now everybody dancing, the dance of the dead
The dance of the dead, the dance of the dead
Back to top Go down
View user profile
InsaneIntruder

PostSubject: Re: Most Scary and devestating melee weapons in a mass murder scenario   Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:52 am

A spear. Someone could just charge at anyone in their path and create a pile of corpses on their spear like a kebab.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Most Scary and devestating melee weapons in a mass murder scenario   Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:27 am

All of those items would scare me. I said the small hatchet but meant to pick the axe. I guess just because of the Shining lol.

In reality though the less common the weapon the more scary it would be for me. I feel knives are less scary than someone wandering the street with a Katana! Just because you don't really ever see those lol

View user profile

Most Scary and devestating melee weapons in a mass murder scenario
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1