Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings

Go down 
+6
Littlelo
Wumselito
STK
QuestionMark
Lunkhead McGrath
Sane One
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Sane One

Contribution Points : 84848
Forum Reputation : 0

Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Empty
PostSubject: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2017 8:18 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2017 9:11 pm

vegas,pulse,vtech,sandy hook, lubys, mcdonalds, texas, edmond, San Bernardino..these were all before the sutherland springs shooting

..you could also argue that the Binghamton in which 13 got killed that was committed by a single shooter are  "higher ranked" then columbine..also the Seattle massacre in 1983 had 13 deaths
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2017 9:28 pm

I agree there are several shootings that are higher ranked then Columbine, yet in my opinion Columbine still remains one of the most discussed and researched.
Back to top Go down
Lunkhead McGrath

Contribution Points : 76136
Forum Reputation : 225

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2017 11:43 pm

If you could go back in time and stop Columbine think how many related/inspired shootings you'd stop....too bad it wouldn't stop Pulse or Las Vegas or Sutherland Springs, but it *might* stop V-Tech and Sandy Hook...

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120378
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 12:27 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
I agree there are several shootings that are higher ranked then Columbine, yet in my opinion Columbine still remains one of the most discussed and researched.

It is perhaps the most infamous mass shooting in history.

moresojuplease likes this post

Back to top Go down
STK

STK

Contribution Points : 72969
Forum Reputation : 330

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 12:48 am

Lunkhead McGrath wrote:
If you could go back in time and stop Columbine think how many related/inspired shootings you'd stop....too bad it wouldn't stop Pulse or Las Vegas or Sutherland Springs, but it *might* stop V-Tech and Sandy Hook...
Don't forget the various shooters inspired by Cho and (to a lesser extent) Adam; and remember the various shooters who were inspired by those shooters. It's possible the 2007-2017 period of large scale mass murder would have been entirely prevented, or at the very least been far less severe.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Wumselito

Wumselito

Contribution Points : 64674

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 7:45 am

Doesn't that just confirm that it's not so much about the numbers of victims?
I guess Columbine is somewhat unique with two teenage shooters that hatch an elaborate plan of mass destruction for, what, a year in advance? Plus the wealth of information available to anyone who cares to look.
Yes, numbers do matter, but there's other things that contributed much more to making Columbine into the thing it is.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

Contribution Points : 66503
Forum Reputation : 90

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 8:34 am

Columbine was initially about numbers, since at the time it was the deadliest school shooting in the US. I feel like over time it has become something else and people remain interested for varied reasons. In a weird way, it's almost nostalgic for those who were growing up in the 90s.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Wumselito

Wumselito

Contribution Points : 64674

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 8:38 am

Littlelo wrote:
Columbine was initially about numbers, since at the time it was the deadliest school shooting in the US. I feel like over time it has become something else and people remain interested for varied reasons. In a weird way, it's almost nostalgic for those who were growing up in the 90s.

My bad! I wasn't quite old enough to "get it" at the time.
It does explain the continued interest imo, though.
Back to top Go down
1Mare1

1Mare1

Contribution Points : 61569
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 8:58 am

Columbine was shocking for it's time. News coverage also plays a big role in the infamy.
Back to top Go down
Giga143

Giga143

Contribution Points : 60773

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 1:14 pm

Remember Dylan saying most deaths in u.s history. If they saw this they would be pretty embarrassed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 1:34 pm

Wumselito wrote:

no, columbine happened at a time when no real big mass shootings were happening. Sure there was lubys and McDonalds but those were written off as mentally sick adults. COlumbine was with 2 shooters for the intent of mass killings on the scale of okc. With round the clock news coverage they became "legends"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 1:35 pm

Wumselito wrote:
Littlelo wrote:

My bad! I wasn't quite old enough to "get it" at the time.
It does explain the continued interest imo, though.

Texas sniper killed more then columbine
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 1:44 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] You're very right about that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 1:48 pm

is Kiki's Delivery Service good?
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 6:59 pm

-warrior wrote:

is Kiki's Delivery Service  good?

Yup!
Back to top Go down
Tuga

Contribution Points : 64442

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 7:01 pm

Wumselito wrote:
I guess Columbine is somewhat unique with two teenage shooters that hatch an elaborate plan of mass destruction for, what, a year in advance? Plus the wealth of information available to anyone who cares to look.
Yes, numbers do matter, but there's other things that contributed much more to making Columbine into the thing it is.

People should not be viewed as numbers. I also dislike when they employ something aptly called ''the hierarchy of death''.
Back to top Go down
Lunkhead McGrath

Contribution Points : 76136
Forum Reputation : 225

PostSubject: bleurgh   Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2017 6:38 am

STK wrote:
Lunkhead McGrath wrote:
Don't forget the various shooters inspired by Cho and (to a lesser extent) Adam; and remember the various shooters who were inspired by those shooters. It's possible the 2007-2017 period of large scale mass murder would have been entirely prevented, or at the very least been far less severe.

I didn't know Cho and Lanza were having that much influence, but I forgot to mention the Aurora Batman fuckwit who probably jerked off to Columbine (there's a pic of him where he's holding a bomb and making an "oooo" face that looks uncannily like Eric in "Hitmen For Hire") Not to mention the guy we had posting here recently who actually did kill people (shudder).

If Elliot Rodger is influencing people, then it's time for the human race to just lay down and die. I'm not being serious, but maybe I am. TELL me that's not happening.

To whoever else in this thread said it's a 90s nostalgia thing: yes it is.

There were no *mass* shootings happening in 1999 really but people had not *forgotten* the Jonesboro, Paducah and Oregon shootings--those got their fair share of coverage, just not as much as the well-implemented, far-more-planned, far more ambitious Columbine. Hey, I'm pretty sure the two little Arkansas redneck kids who did Jonesboro landed on the cover of Time.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2017 12:59 pm

Lunkhead McGrath wrote:
If Elliot Rodger is influencing people, then it's time for the human race to just lay down and die.  I'm not being serious, but maybe I am.  TELL me that's not happening.

Christopher Harper-Mercer listed Elliot Roger as his biggest influence.

Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2017 1:08 pm

The fact that Rodger was dubbed "The Virgin Killer" and still somehow has followers is beyond me...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2017 1:09 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
Lunkhead McGrath wrote:
If Elliot Rodger is influencing people, then it's time for the human race to just lay down and die.  I'm not being serious, but maybe I am.  TELL me that's not happening.

Christopher Harper-Mercer listed Elliot Roger as his biggest influence.

where, i didnt know they released any of his writing
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2017 5:58 pm

Eric wasn't even sure if they would have copycats after they went NBK. If the shooters who claimed to be following E&D really examined their writings and journals in-depth, they would realize how immature and misguided they really were.
Back to top Go down
STK

STK

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2017 11:21 pm

-warrior wrote:

The police completed their investigation into the shooting earlier this year and a bunch of stuff related to the attack was released. You can find it all here:
In his manifesto he specifically mentions Lanza, Eric and Dylan, Vester Flanagan, Cho, and Elliot. In it he complains about the sexuality of black men and his virginity. Based on this he appears to have either incorporated Elliot's ideas into his belief system, or his pre-existing belief system is what caused him to take an interest in Elliot's case.

"If opportunities for role fulfilment fall far short of the demand by those capable of filling roles, and having expectations to do so, only violence and disruption of social organization can follow. Individuals born under these circumstances will be so out of touch with reality as to be incapable even of alienation. Their most complex behaviors will become fragmented. Acquisition, creation and utilization of ideas appropriate for life in a post-industrial cultural-conceptual-technological society will have been blocked."
- John B. Calhoun

"If I died thirsty, it wouldn't matter for me if it rains ever again"
- Abu Firas al-Hamdani
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2017 11:24 pm

STK wrote:
-warrior wrote:

The police completed their investigation into the shooting earlier this year and a bunch of stuff related to the attack was released. You can find it all here:
In his manifesto he specifically mentions Lanza, Eric and Dylan, Vester Flanagan, Cho, and Elliot. In it he complains about the sexuality of black men and his virginity. Based on this he appears to have either incorporated Elliot's ideas into his belief system, or his pre-existing belief system is what caused him to take an interest in Elliot's case.

i feel a lot of shooters reference vester, i swear another big shooter talked about him. But he only got 2 kills, maybe because he recorded it/ was broadcast live
Back to top Go down
STK

STK

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2017 11:36 pm

Lunkhead McGrath wrote:

4chan's /r9k/ board loves him; just search up "Elliot Rodger" on /r9k/ here:
These are the same people who gave Chris Harper-Mercer tips on killing people. nice place.

"If opportunities for role fulfilment fall far short of the demand by those capable of filling roles, and having expectations to do so, only violence and disruption of social organization can follow. Individuals born under these circumstances will be so out of touch with reality as to be incapable even of alienation. Their most complex behaviors will become fragmented. Acquisition, creation and utilization of ideas appropriate for life in a post-industrial cultural-conceptual-technological society will have been blocked."
- John B. Calhoun

"If I died thirsty, it wouldn't matter for me if it rains ever again"
- Abu Firas al-Hamdani
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 1:16 am

Littlelo wrote:
The fact that Rodger was dubbed "The Virgin Killer" and still somehow has followers is beyond me...

Roger's followers are largely comprised of people called "incels" (meaning "involuntary celibate"). People who refer to themselves as an incel are generally just as deranged, entitled, and misogynistic as Roger himself, so naturally they see him as some sort of role model. It's to the point where they call him "Saint Elliot".

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 8:26 am

QuestionMark wrote:
Littlelo wrote:

Roger's followers are largely comprised of people called "incels" (meaning "involuntary celibate"). People who refer to themselves as an incel are generally just as deranged, entitled, and misogynistic as Roger himself, so naturally they see him as some sort of role model. It's to the point where they call him "Saint Elliot".

Elliot's Incels are much like Eric's and Dylan's Fangirls.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2018 10:57 pm

Guest wrote:
vegas,pulse,vtech,sandy hook, lubys, mcdonalds, texas, edmond, San Bernardino..these were all before the sutherland springs shooting

..you could also argue that the Binghamton in which 13 got killed that was committed by a single shooter are  "higher ranked" then columbine..also the Seattle massacre in 1983 had 13 deaths

Seattle was more of a gang-intended shooting gone wrong
Back to top Go down
DanielBryer

DanielBryer

Contribution Points : 29553
Forum Reputation : 104

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2022 9:53 am

Columbine would be 2nd if it happened here in England.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings    Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Columbine isn’t even in top 10 U.S. worst mass shootings
Page 1 of 1