Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Parental Relationships

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193207
Forum Reputation : 1317

Parental Relationships Empty
PostSubject: Parental Relationships   Parental Relationships Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 5:45 pm

I wasn't entirely sure where to put this, but from what we know Eric and Dylan seemed to have a pretty good relationship with their parents.

Are they the only ones? Did Elliott Rodgers parents talk about him at all? Has any other shooters friends of families come out with stories about them that were good?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Parental Relationships   Parental Relationships Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 5:49 pm

I think Elliot's dad did an interview about him. scratch  It was on Youtube. I'm not sure if it was good or bad as I didn't watch it. I just remember coming across it.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

Contribution Points : 66478
Forum Reputation : 90

PostSubject: Re: Parental Relationships   Parental Relationships Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 7:11 pm

I know James Holmes was supposedly very smart and did well in school...I don't know much about his upbringing but maybe he had a good relationship with his parents? I think they were present at his trial.
Back to top Go down
sscc

Contribution Points : 83242
Forum Reputation : 598

PostSubject: Re: Parental Relationships   Parental Relationships Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 7:47 pm

Adam Lanza had a decent relationship with his father when he was younger. They spent a lot of time together doing activities on weekends, even after his parents separated and his father moved out. He thought Adam had a sharp sense of humor and they liked to talk politics and economics. The relationship became strained after an argument over schooling and Adam cut contact with him entirely in late 2010.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: Parental Relationships   Parental Relationships Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 7:49 pm

And unfortunately we will never be able to ask Nancy Lanza what her relationship with Adam was like throughout his life :/
Back to top Go down
sscc

Contribution Points : 83242
Forum Reputation : 598

PostSubject: Re: Parental Relationships   Parental Relationships Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 9:08 pm

Littlelo wrote:
And unfortunately we will never be able to ask Nancy Lanza what her relationship with Adam was like throughout his life :/
Adam told a friend in 2011 or 2012 that their relationship was strained and he couldn't communicate with her because "her behavior was not rational and she was unwilling to talk about certain topics that he felt were important."

Someone related a story that Nancy told where she asked Adam if he would be upset if anything happened to her and he responded that he wouldn't. This was some time around 2010. In his younger years, they seemed to be closer. In fact, they were so close that Peter Lanza felt that the relationship sometimes came between him and Adam.

These are e-mails between the two of them from when he was 16 years old. It seems that back then, she was leaning on a teenager with autism for emotional support, which is not a good idea. It might explain why he tried to push her away later on.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

There is an account from someone who worked at the movie theater that Adam often visited which suggests that things may not have been good at home. I can't say that it was the relationship between Adam and his mother which made him reluctant to go home but it's a possibility.

On Nancy's phone, there were only two texts out of nearly 700 in total which referenced Adam. The first one stands out to me, considering how emaciated Adam was. How did she fail to notice that he was malnourished to the point of brain damage? She was clearly in denial about many things, especially Adam's mental and physical health.

I do think that Nancy cared deeply for Adam but she also had her own issues. She told her friends that she was diagnosed with a chronic, potentially fatal disease and this was not true. Her ex-husband didn't know that the diagnosis was not real until after she died and investigators went through her medical records. It's unknown whether she ever told Adam that she was suffering from a fatal disease but it's a possibility.

Matthew Lysiak's book tells this story of Nancy's dream about Adam.

Nancy didn't seem to understand Adam and he didn't understand her but they were both overly dependent on each other in different ways. When Adam pushed her away, she didn't know how to handle it.

QuestionMark likes this post

Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: Parental Relationships   Parental Relationships Icon_minitimeThu Jan 04, 2018 8:52 am

Wow I had no idea there was this much available regarding their relationship. Thanks for sharing. The dream she describes is haunting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parental Relationships   Parental Relationships Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Parental Relationships
Page 1 of 1