Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

This is what I've learned as a shooting survivor

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Yumeko-chan

Contribution Points : 105615
Forum Reputation : 102

This is what I've learned as a shooting survivor Empty
PostSubject: This is what I've learned as a shooting survivor   This is what I've learned as a shooting survivor Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2018 4:22 am

...Ever since the Parkland shooting, I've engaged in a few online debates about gun control (I do NOT believe in an outright ban, for the record). I give my opinion and eventually it comes out that I'm a shooting survivor. Sometimes I mention Columbine specifically, sometimes I don't. But every time, the moment it's known that I'm a survivor, the debate pretty much grinds to a halt. That or people start flaming me. Essentially they say that because I'm a survivor, I automatically have too much emotional investment in any gun control argument. Which, to me, sounds like they're saying my opinion is less than worthless.

So much vitriol towards survivors. Almost like people just want them to shut up and be sad. Or silently strong. But no, how dare they speak out against the weapons that were used against them in school. After growing up hearing about these stories, and then having it happen to them, of course they're mad. But outright anger -- and THREATS -- against these newly-traumatized kids...ugh. It disappoints me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This is what I've learned as a shooting survivor   This is what I've learned as a shooting survivor Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2018 4:27 am

i think we need a way to check if someone is mentally ill before they buy a gun that's all. no bump stock either
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193482
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: This is what I've learned as a shooting survivor   This is what I've learned as a shooting survivor Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2018 4:36 am

Yumeko-chan wrote:
...Ever since the Parkland shooting, I've engaged in a few online debates about gun control (I do NOT believe in an outright ban, for the record).  I give my opinion and eventually it comes out that I'm a shooting survivor.  Sometimes I mention Columbine specifically, sometimes I don't.  But every time, the moment it's known that I'm a survivor, the debate pretty much grinds to a halt.  That or people start flaming me.  Essentially they say that because I'm a survivor, I automatically have too much emotional investment in any gun control argument.  Which, to me, sounds like they're saying my opinion is less than worthless.

So much vitriol towards survivors.  Almost like people just want them to shut up and be sad.  Or silently strong.  But no, how dare they speak out against the weapons that were used against them in school.  After growing up hearing about these stories, and then having it happen to them, of course they're mad.  But outright anger -- and THREATS -- against these newly-traumatized kids...ugh.  It disappoints me.

It is sick. I tend to defer to the thoughts of people who have actually lived through this than others.

The media inflames a lot of the issues and I read somewhere that someone posted "wow this is the first shooting I know more about the victims and survivors than the perpetrators!" well whose fault is that??? I agree with them? I think there are a lot of issues that go into what creates a shooter but there is an issue with guns as well and yes 99% of gun owners are law abiding and safe. Bump stocks sound dangerous and only used to harm people. I'm for control not a ban.
Back to top Go down
Tuga

Contribution Points : 64692
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: This is what I've learned as a shooting survivor   This is what I've learned as a shooting survivor Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2018 5:53 pm

It's funny how they paint mass shooting survivors as ''biased'' and ''emotional'' but are biased and emotional themselves. Gun owners are biased cuz any gun reform will potentially make it harder for them to buy their pew pew dangerous toys. And they have an emotional investment in these things. It's delusional thinking that they'll act like Rambo if they encounter a burglar or some other baddie. Guns serve like a placebo for them, give them a feeling of security. Poppycock. The only honest gun nut sentiment is ''I like guns, and if we make it harder to purchase them, that will inconvenience me''. The rest is disingenuous bullshit. A part of me thinks that these types of cunts are more unhinged than they realize and that is perhaps the reason why they oppose even lip service gun control measures.

kejti likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This is what I've learned as a shooting survivor   This is what I've learned as a shooting survivor Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2018 4:56 pm

Tuga wrote:
It's funny how they paint mass shooting survivors as ''biased'' and ''emotional'' but are biased and emotional themselves. Gun owners are biased cuz any gun reform will potentially make it harder for them to buy their pew pew dangerous toys. And they have an emotional investment in these things. It's delusional thinking that they'll act like Rambo if they encounter a burglar or some other baddie. Guns serve like a placebo for them, give them a feeling of security. Poppycock. The only honest gun nut sentiment is ''I like guns, and if we make it harder to purchase them, that will inconvenience me''. The rest is disingenuous bullshit. A part of me thinks that these types of cunts are more unhinged than they realize and that is perhaps the reason why they oppose even lip service gun control measures.

well background checks would eliminate them. we need better background checks and limits on how many magazines and ammunition you can buy.
Back to top Go down
Tuga

Contribution Points : 64692

PostSubject: Re: This is what I've learned as a shooting survivor   This is what I've learned as a shooting survivor Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2018 6:30 pm

eldigato wrote:
Tuga wrote:

well background checks would eliminate them. we need better background checks and limits on how many magazines and ammunition you can buy.
I agree, but to some people even something sane and reasonable like this amounts to ''a slippery slope'' to concentration camps for gun owners. The slippery slope lingo is a non argument, pure pish. I call if whatifery. Also, out of sheer curiosity, what do backgrounds checks entail? Do they check if you have any nutty household members who could potentially kill you in your sleep a la Adam Lanza. If not, not much of a background check IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This is what I've learned as a shooting survivor   This is what I've learned as a shooting survivor Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2018 7:41 pm

Tuga wrote:
eldigato wrote:
Tuga wrote:

I agree, but to some people even something sane and reasonable like this amounts to ''a slippery slope'' to concentration camps for gun owners. The slippery slope lingo is a non argument, pure pish. I call if whatifery. Also, out of sheer curiosity, what do backgrounds checks entail? Do they check if you have any nutty household members who could potentially kill you in your sleep a la Adam Lanza. If not, not much of a background check IMO.

all gun nuts are stupid but banning almost every gun is also stupid imo
Back to top Go down
REBdoomer1999

REBdoomer1999

Contribution Points : 64612

PostSubject: Re: This is what I've learned as a shooting survivor   This is what I've learned as a shooting survivor Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2018 6:59 am

eldigato wrote:
i think we need a way to check if someone is mentally ill before they buy a gun that's all. no bump stock either
Do you think a mentally sound and mature person with a bumpfire stock is going to harm anyone with it? Thorough background checks are the answer. If only responsible people are purchasing firearms, I see no reason why they should be barred from purchasing certain items. Also, have you ever shot a rifle with a bumpfire stock? I got a chance to at a machine-gun shoot years ago, and while entertaining it's incredibly difficult to use them and maintain accuracy. They're really just for having fun.

PostSubject: Re: This is what I've learned as a shooting survivor   This is what I've learned as a shooting survivor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

This is what I've learned as a shooting survivor
Page 1 of 1