Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Suicides of first responders...?

Go down 
+2
Draw_It_White
Oldmare
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Oldmare

Oldmare

Contribution Points : 59374
Forum Reputation : 0

Suicides of first responders...? Empty
PostSubject: Suicides of first responders...?   Suicides of first responders...? Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2018 5:24 pm

I was reading recently that a high number of first responders at Columbine died by suicide following the massacre. Is this true?
I have looked and searched but have not been able to confirm or get any details. The only post massacre suicides I was able to find was Greg Barnes and Carla Hochhalter So sad.

Is this a rumour or fact?

Last edited by Oldmare on Thu May 03, 2018 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suicides of first responders...?   Suicides of first responders...? Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2018 5:39 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I had made a thread on this very topic back in November of last year. I linked the thread. There was some good info in it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Oldmare

Oldmare

PostSubject: Re: Suicides of first responders...?   Suicides of first responders...? Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2018 5:41 pm

Thank you! This was the post that intrigued my intrest!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suicides of first responders...?   Suicides of first responders...? Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2018 5:49 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  Weren't you the one who had found something about Sue Klebold talking about all the suicides of the first responders? scratch
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 98018
Forum Reputation : 154

PostSubject: Re: Suicides of first responders...?   Suicides of first responders...? Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2018 6:02 pm

I have no link or anything but i’m sure I was watching an interview with a guy from the fire service who was saying a lot of first responders committed suicide. The guy had the deepest voice in the world.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suicides of first responders...?   Suicides of first responders...? Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2018 6:05 pm

Draw_It_White wrote:
I have no link or anything but i’m sure I was watching an interview with a guy from the fire service who was saying a lot of first responders committed suicide. The guy had the deepest voice in the world.

Was it on youtube? scratch
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 98018
Forum Reputation : 154

PostSubject: Re: Suicides of first responders...?   Suicides of first responders...? Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2018 6:27 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Draw_It_White wrote:

Almost certainly. It was a documentary.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suicides of first responders...?   Suicides of first responders...? Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2018 6:34 pm

Draw_It_White wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Draw_It_White wrote:

Almost certainly. It was a documentary.

Damn not that much to go on. A Columbine youtube video documentry, an a guy with a deep voice. scratch  

Yeah this might take me some time to track down. Haha
Back to top Go down
Fatheroftwo

Contribution Points : 83263

PostSubject: Re: Suicides of first responders...?   Suicides of first responders...? Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2018 7:18 pm

Professions related to first responders are 10x more likely to commit suicide than the general population.. factor in the impact of 4/20 & no telling the results.
Back to top Go down
Oldmare

Oldmare

PostSubject: Re: Suicides of first responders...?   Suicides of first responders...? Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2018 7:29 pm

I have not been able to find any articles or anything about it but still looking.. something like 10/13 of the ones in the library died by suicide or overdoses .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suicides of first responders...?   Suicides of first responders...? Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2018 9:57 pm

more than 13 victims... these poor people who killed themselves from the pain and dread caused by the shooting are also victims
Back to top Go down
Watcher73

Contribution Points : 55859
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Suicides of first responders...?   Suicides of first responders...? Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2018 3:52 pm

First responders can pay a heavy price for what they do, as can homicide detectives. I've done some research on the latter, and the job can take a terrible toll on them. Some have said that it's a rewarding job, but that it's not for everyone and potential homicide cops have to really ask themselves if it's something that they want to do.

They work long hours, their sleep patterns are disrupted, it affects their family life, and a normal day at the office involves seeing the worst of humanity. Not surprisingly, the cops said that child murders were particularly difficult to deal with.

Given all of the above, it's also not surprising that some of these cops said that a number of their colleagues struggled with alcoholism.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suicides of first responders...?   Suicides of first responders...? Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2018 5:20 pm

Watcher73 wrote:
First responders can pay a heavy price for what they do, as can homicide detectives. I've done some research on the latter, and the job can take a terrible toll on them. Some have said that it's a rewarding job, but that it's not for everyone and potential homicide cops have to really ask themselves if it's something that they want to do.

They work long hours, their sleep patterns are disrupted, it affects their family life, and a normal day at the office involves seeing the worst of humanity. Not surprisingly, the cops said that child murders were particularly difficult to deal with.

Given all of the above, it's also not surprising that some of these cops said that a number of their colleagues struggled with alcoholism.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]       Agreed. It would be a very tough job to have. There is indeed a very high "Burn out" rate with these types of jobs, along with substance abuse.  The nightmares these people have must be terrifying. Sad
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193232
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Suicides of first responders...?   Suicides of first responders...? Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2018 10:14 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  Weren't you the one who had found something about Sue Klebold talking about all the suicides of the first responders? scratch

Yes, Sue talked about it a little bit in AMR I believe.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suicides of first responders...?   Suicides of first responders...? Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2018 10:50 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]   I was thinking you had found something somewhere else. scratch  Sometimes my memory sucks! Haha
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Suicides of first responders...?   Suicides of first responders...? Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2018 10:58 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]   I was thinking you had found something somewhere else. scratch  Sometimes my memory sucks! Haha

I don’t think you’re wrong lol scratch

I just don’t remember where I found it... but I posted something here!
Back to top Go down
sscc

Contribution Points : 83282
Forum Reputation : 598

PostSubject: Re: Suicides of first responders...?   Suicides of first responders...? Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2018 1:08 pm

I think that this may be the video of Sue that people are remembering.
She talks about it around 7:30.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suicides of first responders...?   Suicides of first responders...? Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2018 1:24 pm

sscc wrote:

THANK YOU! Smile
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Suicides of first responders...?   Suicides of first responders...? Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2018 1:39 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
sscc wrote:

THANK YOU! Smile

Thanks!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suicides of first responders...?   Suicides of first responders...? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suicides of first responders...?
Page 1 of 1