Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wounded victims from Parkland school shooting to get $1.63M

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Wounded victims from Parkland school shooting to get $1.63M Empty
PostSubject: Wounded victims from Parkland school shooting to get $1.63M   Wounded victims from Parkland school shooting to get $1.63M Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2018 8:46 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The families of the 17 victims killed in the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting will each receive $400,000 from a $10.5 million fund. Eighteen of the injured survivors will receive $1.63 million.

The Broward Education Foundation and a steering committee for the victims announced Monday the breakdown of the funds that were raised through a GoFundMe campaign. Nearly 37,000 individuals and companies donated to the fund. The fund does not include the millions students have raised through March for Our Lives for advocacy efforts.

Nearly 450 students who were inside the building when the Feb. 14 shooting happened will receive $2,500 and 1,048 students who were on campus during the shooting but not in that building will receive $1,000. Payments will begin on July 16, according to a statement from the foundation.

Nearly everyone who applied for financial support was granted it. There were 1,654 applications submitted and 1,517 were approved, according to the foundation.

The group says 100 percent of the funds raised will go to victims and their families. Payments will begin on July 16.

"These gifts are given without any restriction on their use. The families and recipients are in the best position to determine how these funds would be most beneficial to their healing," said Christina Fischer, Broward Education Foundation Board Chair.

Andrew Pollack, whose daughter Meadow was killed, says he's not taking any of the fund for himself but will give the money to her two brothers and her boyfriend.

"It will help my kids when they're starting out their lives and it will make their sister happy," said Pollack, who has separately raised more than $400,000 to build a playground in her honor.

Other family members who declined to go on record said they were grateful for the kind donations but saddened because it will not bring their children back.

"You can't put a price tag on the incompetence that led to the murder of my daughter. ... It's really disheartening for me to know all these people that committed these acts and no accountability," said Pollack.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wounded victims from Parkland school shooting to get $1.63M   Wounded victims from Parkland school shooting to get $1.63M Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2018 1:59 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:

Nearly everyone who applied for financial support was granted it. There were 1,654 applications submitted and 1,517 were approved, according to the foundation.

So 137 people tried to get advantages of the fund but were not victims, or not victims enough.

It makes me think that after the November 2015 Paris attacks, a couple pretended to be victims and received 60 000 € (69919$ - £53079) from a fund meant to victims of terrorism. They tried to cheat again after the 2016 Nice attack. When the fraud was discovered (their mobile phones proved that they were not in Paris and in Nice during the attacks), they got 3 and 6 years in prison and had to repay the money, then 4 and 6 years in prison (I'm not sure if it is to replace or in addition to the first sentence).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wounded victims from Parkland school shooting to get $1.63M   Wounded victims from Parkland school shooting to get $1.63M Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2018 2:35 pm

Neah wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

So 137 people tried to get advantages of the fund but were not victims, or not victims enough.

It makes me think that after the November 2015 Paris attacks, a couple pretended to be victims and received 60 000 € (69919$ - £53079) from a fund meant to victims of terrorism. They tried to cheat again after the 2016 Nice attack. When the fraud was discovered (their mobile phones proved that they were not in Paris and in Nice during the attacks), they got 3 and 6 years in prison and had to repay the money, then 4 and 6 years in prison (I'm not sure if it is to replace or in addition to the first sentence).

Seriously how damn low would you have to be to try to pass yourself off as a victim? Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wounded victims from Parkland school shooting to get $1.63M   Wounded victims from Parkland school shooting to get $1.63M Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2018 4:42 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Neah wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

Seriously how damn low would you have to be to try to pass yourself off as a victim? Evil or Very Mad

And how damn stupid would you have to be to do it twice? This is how they were discovered, because it obviously made people at the found suspicious.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120503
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Wounded victims from Parkland school shooting to get $1.63M   Wounded victims from Parkland school shooting to get $1.63M Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2018 4:52 pm

Neah wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Neah wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

And how damn stupid would you have to be to do it twice? This is how they were discovered, because it obviously made people at the found suspicious.

Not a lot of criminals are particularly bright. After all, if they were, they wouldn't be criminals.  Smile

PostSubject: Re: Wounded victims from Parkland school shooting to get $1.63M   Wounded victims from Parkland school shooting to get $1.63M Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2018 4:58 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
Neah wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Neah wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

Not a lot of criminals are particularly bright. After all, if they were, they wouldn't be criminals.  Smile

Hopefully they are not bright, it's like a lot of terrorists who get arrested for stupid reasons, or like those E&D wannabees who boast about planning a school shooting on the social medias.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wounded victims from Parkland school shooting to get $1.63M   Wounded victims from Parkland school shooting to get $1.63M Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wounded victims from Parkland school shooting to get $1.63M
Page 1 of 1