Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th Empty
PostSubject: Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th   Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2018 7:41 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Alleged Parkland, Florida, school shooter Nikolas Cruz spent an entire court hearing resting his forehead on a table — as his lawyers tried to block the release of the first statement he made to police following the Valentine’s Day massacre that killed 17 people.

The 19-year-old gunman appeared bored or exasperated in court Monday as lawyers for the Associated Press and other outlets argued that the statement should be made public.

But Cruz’s attorneys want the statement suppressed — saying it would improperly influence jurors.

His lawyer David Frankel said “98 percent” of the statement contained some element of a confession and would make it impossible for Cruz to get a fair trial.

“The right of access is not absolute, but the right to a fair trial is,” Frankel said. “This court’s obligation is to go to whatever lengths are necessary to see he gets a fair trial.”

Media lawyer Dana McElroy argued the only portions that should be suppressed were any comments that appeared to be a substantive confession but not the whole statement. Prosecutors said the statement was heavily redacted and ready to be released to the public.

“The coverage of this case will and should continue. It’s important to the public and to everyone who’s watching this case that all of the facts be reported,” McElroy said. “There’s a great public concern about how this case is handled.”

Cruz’s lawyers also don’t want the public to see a 70-page report from Broward County school officials detailing their client’s educational record. Cruz had many behavioral problems and was eventually expelled from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

Broward Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer didn’t immediately make a decision.

So Niko had a court hearing on Monday the 16th, and he really did have his head down almost the ENTIRE time. There was a LOT of bickering back and forth between his lawyers and the prosecution team. SO maybe he was bored or just tired. Although he was caught peeking once or twice. Either way it likely didn't win him any points, as most reports I have read the last two days were hitting hard on the fact that he seemed disinterested in what was going on. From the media's view point disinterested/bored/possibly tired, etc. apparently all mean one thing - not remorseful.  Rolling Eyes

Cruz's next court appearance for a “Status and Discovery Update” will be on August 15th.  The main trial was tentatively set for September 2019 despite the attorney’s protests.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th   Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2018 12:00 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Media organizations asked a judge Monday to order public release of much of Florida school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz's statement to investigators after the Valentine's Day massacre that killed 17 people.

Attorneys for The Associated Press and other media outlets asked Broward Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer to allow disclosure of the statement under public records law. Attorneys for the 19-year-old Cruz wanted the entire statement suppressed, contending it would improperly influence jurors in his trial. The judge did not immediately rule.

Media lawyer Dana McElroy said the only portions that should be suppressed are any comments that appear to be a substantive confession, but not the entire statement. She said Florida's broad public records law requires that much of it be disclosed even in high-profile cases such as this.

"The coverage of this case will and should continue. It's important to the public and to everyone who's watching this case that all of the facts be reported," McElroy said. "There's a great public concern about how this case is handled."

Cruz faces the death penalty if convicted of the attack at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School that also wounded 17 others. His attorneys say he would plead guilty in exchange for a life prison sentence, but prosecutors have rejected that offer.

Throughout the hearing, Cruz sat with his forehead resting face-down on the defense table. His 18-year-old brother, Zachary Cruz, attended the hearing but declined to speak with reporters.

Cruz attorney David Frankel urged Scherer to consider the impact of the wall-to-wall media coverage of the shooting before allowing the statement's release. Frankel said "98 percent" of the statement contains some element of a confession and would make it impossible for Cruz to get a fair trial.

"The right of access is not absolute, but the right to a fair trial is," Frankel said. "This court's obligation is to go to whatever lengths are necessary to see he gets a fair trial."

One of the prosecutors, Assistant State Attorney Steven Klinger, said the statement has been thoroughly redacted and is ready for public release. Under Florida law, most evidence in a criminal case becomes public once prosecutors turn it over to the defense.

Cruz's lawyers also want to prevent public release of a 70-page report prepared by Broward County school officials about his educational record. Cruz had many documented behavioral problems and was eventually expelled from Stoneman Douglas, authorities have said. The report summarizes some 2,500 pages of Cruz's educational record.

"Those records are exempt from disclosure," said another Cruz lawyer, Melisa McNeill. "It's our position that the entire thing should not be released."

That argument is pending before a different judge who last week ruled she would inspect the 70-page educational report and then decide whether it will be made public.

I stand by my comments of the damage already being done when the cell videos were released to the public. Possibly a change of venue would help, or at least give the impression of helping him get a fair trial.

I also stand by my earlier comments of this case dragging on for a while.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120628
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th   Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2018 2:37 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
So Niko had a court hearing on Monday the 16th, and he really did have his head down almost the ENTIRE time. There was a LOT of bickering back and forth between his lawyers and the prosecution team. SO maybe he was bored or just tired. Although he was caught peeking once or twice. Either way it likely didn't win him any points, as most reports I have read the last two days were hitting hard on the fact that he seemed disinterested in what was going on. From the media's view point disinterested/bored/possibly tired, etc. apparently all mean one thing - not remorseful.  Rolling Eyes 

Man I'd be pretty bored if I was him too. I'd practically be asking for the needle already.

PostSubject: Re: Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th   Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2018 4:05 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

Man I'd be pretty bored if I was him too. I'd practically be asking for the needle already.

Also it's hard to say what mix of meds they currently have Cruz on. scratch He could have just been spaced out. Who knows?
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th   Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2018 4:15 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

Also it's hard to say what mix of meds they currently have Cruz on. scratch He could have just been spaced out. Who knows?

I'm not sure if they have him on any meds.

PostSubject: Re: Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th   Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2018 4:22 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

He was supposed to be on medication, but wouldn't always take it. So I would guess he is being made to take it.

This also could explain his sudden weight gain. Well that and eating through the money in his commissary account.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th   Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2018 8:00 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:

He was supposed to be on medication, but wouldn't always take it. So I would guess he is being made to take it. 

While I think they're legally allowed to force him to take the meds, he could still be resisting taking any. 

Too bad the prison refuses to share any information.

Cemetery Jones

Contribution Points : 61130
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th   Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 7:32 am

I agree with ShadowedGoddess. Looks like a mix of depression/medication. Not boredom.
I hope he gets a fair trial as is his right.
Back to top Go down
arnounymus

arnounymus

Contribution Points : 57088
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th   Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2018 9:43 am

Concerning medication: When i saw his self-video ("pew, pew, pew, pew") i wondered if he was on something while recording that. His tone and voice sound to me like he could be on a tranquilizer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th   Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2018 9:53 am

arnounymus wrote:
Concerning medication: When i saw his self-video ("pew, pew, pew, pew") i wondered if he was on something while recording that. His tone and voice sound to me like he could be on a tranquilizer.

Agreed. If you look closely his eyes seem a bit off as well. Almost like he was spaced out. Although I'm not sure if this behavior was caused by meds/drugs, OR if this was just his normal. scratch
Back to top Go down
arnounymus

arnounymus

Contribution Points : 57088
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th   Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2018 10:32 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
arnounymus wrote:

Agreed. If you look closely his eyes seem a bit off as well. Almost like he was spaced out. Although I'm not sure if this behavior was caused by meds/drugs, OR if this was just his normal. scratch

Yeah, tbh the last possibility feels like the most unnerving - in general Nikolas Cruz comes off as very creepy imo.

Last edited by arnounymus on Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th   Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2018 1:22 pm

arnounymus wrote:

I think that's just how he was. Oddly enough I don't think Nick ever took drugs.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th   Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cruz lawyers try to block his confessions. Court date was Mon. July 16th
Page 1 of 1