Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

why didnt dylan continue

Go down 
+4
novaprospekt
Screamingophelia
Lizpuff
ChaotixBoy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ChaotixBoy

ChaotixBoy

Contribution Points : 66117
Forum Reputation : 0

why didnt dylan continue Empty
PostSubject: why didnt dylan continue   why didnt dylan continue Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 1:59 pm

So when Eric killed himself first, I don't find it surprising that Dylan killed himself right after. But why don't you think Dylan didn't just continue shooting at people, etc? He just gave up when he was all alone.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96449
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: why didnt dylan continue   why didnt dylan continue Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 2:09 pm

Dylan was not good at doing things on his own. He liked the comfort of a group. Which is why despite his rantings and ravings he always wanted a partner for his plans. He was very codependent.

I think personally once they saw the cops closing in they thought the end was near. And then boom Eric was dead. I don't know if Dylan knew Eric was going to shoot himself then and there but I think once he saw that Eric was dead he realized there wasn't anything else to do but kill himself.

I imagine the lonely feeling after Eric died was huge for Dylan.

NEXT STEP UP, anna444 and Culturalphilistine like this post

Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97917
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: why didnt dylan continue   why didnt dylan continue Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 2:14 pm

ChaotixBoy wrote:
So when Eric killed himself first, I don't find it surprising that Dylan killed himself right after. But why don't you think Dylan didn't just continue shooting at people, etc? He just gave up when he was all alone.

There was nobody left to shoot at, except cops outside. None of his weapons was of much use to shoot distant targets.
Maybe he could have taken Eric's Hi-Point, gather the remaining 9mm rounds (BTW, does anyone remember how many 9mm bullets they jointly still had left at the time?) load one or maybe 2 clips maximum and fire them at the police.

Plus I think for Dylan the whole massacre was just an addendum to the suicide. I think the fact taht Eric didn't shoot at the cops until he almost ran out of ammo is more puzzling.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193507
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: why didnt dylan continue   why didnt dylan continue Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 2:14 pm

ChaotixBoy wrote:

To be honest I think they were both done they were coming down from the high. Also remember at the beginning of the massacre Dylan was screaming how he wanted to kill himself and today was the day he was going to die. Dylan was ready to die finally

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: why didnt dylan continue   why didnt dylan continue Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 5:31 pm

Dylan went into the attack knowing his death would be coming at the end. But just as he wanted death, he also seemed to need something on a HUGE scale to finally make it possible for him to follow through with his long talked about suicide.

His participation in NBK provided the push he needed to actually do it.
Back to top Go down
novaprospekt

novaprospekt

Contribution Points : 60430

PostSubject: Re: why didnt dylan continue   why didnt dylan continue Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 6:12 pm

I still find it odd that he put in the effort to go to prom and Arizona to pick out his dorm even though he and Eric already planned the massacre.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120653
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: why didnt dylan continue   why didnt dylan continue Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 7:55 pm

novaprospekt wrote:
I still find it odd that he put in the effort to go to prom and Arizona to pick out his dorm even though he and Eric already planned the massacre.

It was to provide cover. He was making it seem like nothing was wrong. 

Lurk moar.

Grenier_VoDKa

Grenier_VoDKa

Contribution Points : 62057

PostSubject: Re: why didnt dylan continue   why didnt dylan continue Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 9:15 pm

Well, you gotta put the fact that his partner in crime just blew his head off in front of him. He probably had thoughts while seeing Eric's bloody corpse like "It has all come down to this, I'm alone." Also it has been like 50 minutes, he wasn't exactly feeling the thrill of it anymore. He has gunned down dozens of people and the police have him surrounded, the fire alarms are going off, dead bodies are around him including his best friend's, and there's smoke all over. Dylan was very sentimental and this made him do what he wanted to do: die.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: why didnt dylan continue   why didnt dylan continue Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2018 2:20 am

his guns were shit and he was a bad shot
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: why didnt dylan continue   why didnt dylan continue Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2018 10:42 am

I think they both decided to stop and kill themselves. Correct me if I'm wrong but Eric probably didn't just shoot himself without telling anything to Dylan. It was probably a mutual decision and Eric simply did it first. And I don't even see the point for Dylan to keep the shooting. Together in the killing, together in death. But I don't know if they decided that Eric do it first or if it was just that he was quicker than Dylan.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97917
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: why didnt dylan continue   why didnt dylan continue Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2018 1:33 pm

There is one more thing that I did not mention. I don't believe in the leader-follower thing, but I think (and Krabbe makes a good point to that extent as well), that by the time April arrived it was Dylan that needed Eric more than the other way around.

Dylan needed Eric to be with him to go on with the suicide. Krabbe refers to that he needed Eric as a "halcyon guide". I believe in a similar, though less earthy explanation: Dylan was too afraid to stand at the gates of death alone. He wouldn't be able to pull himself to suicide without knowing Eric went in first.

That's imho why he waited for Eric to do it first, but them almost instantly went as well.

Neah wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but Eric probably didn't just shoot himself without telling anything to Dylan.
Nobody knows for sure, as there were no conscious witnesses. But I think its entirely unlikely for them to do it without some sort of final goodbye, especially Eric. Eric was an extravert. In his diary you can find the term "me and V" far more often than any mention of Eric in Dylan's diary.

For Eric this was a joint operation, I'm pretty sure up till the end he felt like that till the end. Plus I also think his ego wouldn't allow him to just randomly shoot himself like its some afterthought or something he needs to hide with. I'm sure he wanted to appear "in control" up till to the end and see it all through.

Dylan, as mentioned above, wanted to imho wait for Eric to "lead the way". He was much more afraid of being left alone than vice versa. That's the way I see it, but I think this speculation is well substantiated by their writings.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
nukethemnoobs

Contribution Points : 66002
Forum Reputation : 6

PostSubject: Re: why didnt dylan continue   why didnt dylan continue Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2018 2:35 pm

Simply almost out of ammo, he probably got scared seeing how big the Police force was outside.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: why didnt dylan continue   why didnt dylan continue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

why didnt dylan continue
Page 1 of 1