Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 
 

 Fact Check Cullen's book

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 2785
Contribution Points : 40634
Forum Reputation : 140
Join date : 2017-09-04

PostSubject: Fact Check Cullen's book   Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:31 am

I think this thread is definitely needed here. I see and hear a lot of people whom say that Dave's book is full of errors, and indeed I've listened to some people point out some of the most egregious ones. But we do not, as far as I know, have a dedicated thread going over every single factual error made in his book. I think any novice researcher or passerby would be greatly aided in learning a few new things, but if nothing else this could be a handy-dandy guide for the rest of us.

Please don't reply to this by saying "LOL EVERYTHING!", it's not funny or clever.

_________________
"My guns are the only things that haven't stabbed me in the back."
-Kip Kinkel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 4675
Contribution Points : 83745
Forum Reputation : 143
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:47 am

There was a blog who went chapter by chapter debunking. However it wa a tcc blog so I can try to find the links. There was a big purge on that platform

I think this thread is great. :-) Thank you for starting it

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:09 am

@Screamingophelia wrote:
There was a blog who went chapter by chapter debunking. However it wa a tcc blog so I can try to find the links. There was a big purge on that platform

I think this thread is great. :-) Thank you for starting it



Just tag LPorter101 and call it a day! It will be brutal, accurate and funny as fuck. Haha
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 4675
Contribution Points : 83745
Forum Reputation : 143
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:01 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
There was a blog who went chapter by chapter debunking. However it wa a tcc blog so I can try to find the links. There was a big purge on that platform

I think this thread is great. :-) Thank you for starting it



Just tag LPorter101 and call it a day! It will be brutal, accurate and funny as fuck. Haha


Yes! They need to be a part of this. But it would be kind of cool to have a lot of resources in one thread. Like the interview with Ann Marie where she says that a lot is inaccurate etc


_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:22 am

@Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
@Screamingophelia wrote:
There was a blog who went chapter by chapter debunking. However it wa a tcc blog so I can try to find the links. There was a big purge on that platform

I think this thread is great. :-) Thank you for starting it



Just tag LPorter101 and call it a day! It will be brutal, accurate and funny as fuck. Haha


Yes! They need to be a part of this. But it would be kind of cool to have a lot of resources in one thread. Like the interview with Ann Marie where she says that a lot is inaccurate etc



Agreed. I would like to see what everyone had to say on the subject. Especially someone who was actually effected by it like Ann Marie.  I would also LOVE to have Amanda's(@Yumeko-chan) take as well.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 2785
Contribution Points : 40634
Forum Reputation : 140
Join date : 2017-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:30 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
There was a blog who went chapter by chapter debunking. However it wa a tcc blog so I can try to find the links. There was a big purge on that platform

I think this thread is great. :-) Thank you for starting it

If you can rediscover it that would be great, but since I think direct Tumblr links aren't allowed here could you PM the link?

Also thanks for the compliment, this thread was a long time coming.

_________________
"My guns are the only things that haven't stabbed me in the back."
-Kip Kinkel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 4675
Contribution Points : 83745
Forum Reputation : 143
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:12 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
There was a blog who went chapter by chapter debunking. However it wa a tcc blog so I can try to find the links. There was a big purge on that platform

I think this thread is great. :-) Thank you for starting it

If you can rediscover it that would be great, but since I think direct Tumblr links aren't allowed here could you PM the link?

Also thanks for the compliment, this thread was a long time coming.


Sure! I think that it was backed up during the purge

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thelmar

avatar

Posts : 193
Contribution Points : 12110
Forum Reputation : 110
Join date : 2018-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:06 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

Yes! They need to be a part of this. But it would be kind of cool to have a lot of resources in one thread. Like the interview with Ann Marie where she says that a lot is inaccurate etc

Here is the interview with Anne Marie. This was when Cullen was in talks with Lifetime to do a movie based on his book:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I was injured ad Columbine, and Dave Cullen’s book is inaccurate and sensationalized.
Cullen never interviewed her; he got all of his information about what she and her family went through from news articles.
It felt kind of violating, to be honest,” Hochhalter says of the experience of reading Cullen’s book. He got the part about how I was injured completely wrong. I couldn’t bear to read the whole thing.”
The fact that this movie is in the works, based on what he wrote- I just feel sick over it,” said Hochhalter to SF Weekly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
slippy123

avatar

Posts : 525
Contribution Points : 37693
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2015-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:20 pm

Cullenbine was a terrible book filled with falsehoods. I'd skip over it if you're looking for a factual based book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 2785
Contribution Points : 40634
Forum Reputation : 140
Join date : 2017-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:59 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Cullenbine was a terrible book filled with falsehoods. I'd skip over it if you're looking for a factual based book.

Well this thread for pointing out those falsehoods. You're free to list as many as you like.

_________________
"My guns are the only things that haven't stabbed me in the back."
-Kip Kinkel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
slippy123

avatar

Posts : 525
Contribution Points : 37693
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2015-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:28 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Cullenbine was a terrible book filled with falsehoods. I'd skip over it if you're looking for a factual based book.

Well this thread for pointing out those falsehoods. You're free to list as many as you like.

In that case I would be here until next year  Laughing

It's been 5+ years since I've read it, so I don't remember all of them, but in general Cullen's portrayal of Harris and Klebold was wildly inaccurate.
He essentially created his own narrative, acting like he was inside of E & D's heads, spewing information that is pure speculation, such as what they were thinking or what was going through their minds.
The fact that he called Eric a "lades's man" speaks volumes.
Even survivors who were mentioned in the book like Anne Marie Hochalter came forward saying most things were factually wrong, or blown out of proportion.

As far as I know, he got all his information from the 11k, and didn't sit down with anyone to verify if the information was indeed true, and if he did, he did a terrible job.

If you want to find out more you can just read reviews from sites like this where people nit pick everything that wasn't true: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As you can see, there are an overwhelming number of 1 star reviews from people who seem to have some knowledge about the massacre.

People who have no prior knowledge about Columbine would find it a good read, and probably give it 5 stars just as I did years back before I actually learned the facts and realized most of what I thought was true from reading his book wasn't.

I'm sure there is someone on here who has recently read it that would be able to recall more of the things that were factually wrong since I don't have the time or patience to re-read that mess of a book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 2785
Contribution Points : 40634
Forum Reputation : 140
Join date : 2017-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:41 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Cullenbine was a terrible book filled with falsehoods. I'd skip over it if you're looking for a factual based book.

Well this thread for pointing out those falsehoods. You're free to list as many as you like.

In that case I would be here until next year  Laughing

Technically speaking next year is only a week away. Razz

Anyways, I appreciate your contribution. I suppose it wasn't really obvious when I read the book for the first time but now that you mention it a shockingly large amount of the novel is made up of unfounded speculation.

_________________
"My guns are the only things that haven't stabbed me in the back."
-Kip Kinkel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hallywayhomicide

avatar

Posts : 65
Contribution Points : 4355
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2018-10-12
Age : 15
Location : ireland

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:41 am

what a needed thread.
i wonder if this thread will blow out when his parkland book will get released?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thelmar

avatar

Posts : 193
Contribution Points : 12110
Forum Reputation : 110
Join date : 2018-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:22 pm

The only copy of Cullen's book I have is the original 2009 release. This includes all the Brenda Parker lies. He did, barely, do a mea culpa by taking her stuff out of subsequent editions but basically all he said was that he shouldn't have been so trusting, or some BS like that. It was clear to police in 1999 that Parker was lying, so Cullen acting like he was fooled when his book didn't come out until 10 yrs later is a lie, IMO.

Chapter 1-
Relates Mr. DeAngelis' talk to kids the Friday before the prom. Telling them to be careful, he loved them, etc.
The only thing that is probably questionable in this chapter is when he says the students "adored" DeAngelis. If you listen to interviews from E & D's friends, or others who complained about the bullying at Columbine, clearly not everyone adored him.


Chapter 2-
Eric the ladies' man:
- Cullen writes that dates were not a problem for Eric. That he was a "cool brain" and got invited to parties.

- He "got chicks. Lots and lots of chicks."

- "Eric outscored much of the football team."

- "He was a little charmer. He walked right up to hotties at the mall. He won them over with quick wit, dazzling dimples, and a disarming smile."

- His spiky hair "was edgy and it played well with his swagger. The smile was his trump card, and he knew exactly how to play it: bashful and earnest yet flirtatious. The chicks ate it up."


- Referring to Parker, Cullen wrote Eric "scored with a twenty-three year old at seventeen. He was damn proud of that one."

Parker was a lie, as we all know.
Eric had a handful of dates (3 or less) with a couple of girls. Tiffany Typher, Katie Thompson, and a girl he met at a soccer game in 1998 (pg. 10277). I believe there was also another girl he met at the mall in '97 or '98. And then the one date with Susan Dewitt.
He was with Sasha Jacobs for a couple of months. She said they went out 16- 20 times between October 1997 and January 1998, usually to a movie. She'd been to his house about 4 times and had dinner with his parents once. (pg. 13254).
Aside from Susan, he appears to have asked out just about every girl at Great Clips and was shot down. Not to mention being turned down by girls like Jen Lautenberg (sp?), Megan Minger, Sabrina Cooley, etc.
Eric was hardly Don Juan. No one has admitted to kissing him, but I'd guess he kissed Sasha a time or two. Beyond that, he likely got no action.

Minor quibble, but  Cullen describes Robyn Anderson as "diminutive". She's not particularly short for a high school girl and she was not excessively thin.
Why describe her this way? IMO, it's to make her seem all that more attractive to diffuse the myth that Dylan and Eric were losers.

He also said Robyn was "a month away from graduating as valedictorian".  I could be wrong on this point, but I thought Lauren Townsend was supposed to be valedictorian. Also, I remember reading that Jeanna Park was also in the running.

Cullen wrote that Dylan and Eric attended the football games, dances, and variety shows. I know Dylan did not attend dances; beyond that I don't know the truth in that statement but I don't think they participated that actively in those kinds of events. I'd assume they went now and again but nothing indicates they were regulars.

Cullen wrote that when Dylan was called to the Dean's office for defacing a locker that he "cussed the Dean out" and "acted like a nutcase". That's a gross exaggeration.
Dean Horvath said as they waited for Tom to come Dylan started cussing and was very upset about the way the school system handled people that picked on him and others. He said Dylan was very agitated but he did not direct any of the cussing at him personally. He said Dylan was a pretty angry kid and he had the impression that Dylan was upset with his dad and stuff at home. (pg. 5707).

Cullen wrote that in the videos Dylan and Eric made for class "Eric was so calm and even- tempered, he couldn't even fake intensity. In person, he came of charming, confident, and engaging, impersonating an emotional young man, he was dull and unconvincing incapable of emoting."
This is just stupid. Both Eric and Dylan were lousy actors, just watch their videos. Dylan's screaming in Hit Men For Hire was better than Eric's but not by much, and they are both pretty flat in the other vids. And no one who knew Eric described him as charming, confident, and engaging.  
In "Eric in Columbine" he seems pretty uncomfortable being on camera- fidgeting with the cell phone, touching his face and picking his hands. Awkward around Brandy. Yet, Cullen writes "Eric appeared entranced with his cell phone, aimlessly spinning it in circles." The implication, IMO, is this kid is so detached from everything. This is not at all the impression I get when I watch it. Eric seems acutely aware of the camera and often appears really awkward to me.

Citing the same video, he says, "A busty girl walked by. Eric waved her over and they hit on her."
First, busty she was not and ewww for writing this about a teenaged girl anyway. But clearly his goal was again to hammer home the Eric was a chick magnet theme (and who the hell still calls girls "chicks", anyway?).
Second, Mike called her over, Eric waved his hand but he didn't seem like he cared one way or the other.
Third, Mike and the others were making the suggestive comments to her, Eric was barely listening and I don't believe he said anything to her. The most you see him do is smirk a little after she left.  

Cullen wrote that Eric and Dylan both smoked Camel filtered cigarettes. "Eric picked it, Dylan followed." Um, how the hell would Cullen know?  How would anyone know who smoked what first? I call Shenanigans. The goal, obviously, was to make it seem like Dylan followed Eric in every little thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thelmar

avatar

Posts : 193
Contribution Points : 12110
Forum Reputation : 110
Join date : 2018-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:05 am

Chapter 3-
He talks a little about the Denver/Littleton area, how Mr. DeAngelis loved lunch duty, and about school shootings. He claimed "not a single shooter emerged" in the 1998- 1999 school year until Eric and Dylan.
Nothing that hit national news occurred but there were school- related shootings during that time that it shouldn't have been too difficult for a reporter to learn about:
12/10/98- Wayne State University- a doctoral student shot and killed his professor
1/8/99- a 15 yr old girl and 17 yr old boy died in a suicide pact in a girl's bathroom at a school in Carrollton, GA
4/16/99- a 15 yr old boy with bipolar disorder fired 2 shots in a classroom in Idaho. No one was injured.

Chapter 4-
Cullen wrote "Most Columbine parents were affluent enough to endow their kids with cars. Eric had a black Honda Prelude. Dylan drove a vintage BMW his dad had refurbished."
IMO, this is meant to imply that the Harris' and Klebold's were well off, especially in referring to Dylan's junky BMW as "vintage". Sorry, but the definition of vintage refers to something of "high quality"; old does not equal vintage.
Eric's Honda was a 1986-- a 13 yr old car does not indicate affluence. And to be picky, his car was gray, not black.
What's the motivation in implying they were wealthy?

Cullen wrote that when Eric spoke to Susan Dewitt the night before prom "he went on and on about one kid who had betrayed him."
Actually, what Susan (pg. 6196) said was that Eric "once mentioned some kids that he used to be friends with that he was mad at for making fun of him", and she specifically referred to Mike Dinkle. She told police that Dinkle was dating her friend, Megan. Which kind of seems like maybe Dinkle's name came up in reference to her friend and Eric told her why he didn't like Dinkle. She never says that he "went on and on". She told police they also talked about computers because she was at a friend's house trying to install AOL, and that Eric asked her out for Saturday. Susan said they only spoke for about 1/2 hr.  

Chapter 5-
This chapter gives background on Dave Sanders, Patrick Ireland, and Cassie Bernall and what they did in the days before the shooting. I try not to delve into the victims and those affected by Columbine much as I feel they deserve their privacy, so I can't attest to how much of this is true.
I do know that with regard to Cassie that his "At school she got attention, but strictly sexual" is false.
Zach Johnston (pg. 906-907) wrote some really nice things about what a great person Cassie was and how much he liked her on his blog.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thelmar

avatar

Posts : 193
Contribution Points : 12110
Forum Reputation : 110
Join date : 2018-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:51 am

Chapter 6-
Eric pressed his luck. He was crazy for a prom-nite date, but he waited until early evening to call Susan. He was confident. Girls liked him."
More of the Eric the ladies man garbage.

Minor point but after calling Event Horizon a "gore-fest" he says it was Eric's "all time favorite movie." Susan said Eric told her it was "one of his favorites."

Chapter 7-
Talks about how heavily religious the Littleton community is, and how the majority of kids at Columbine were devoutly Christian.

He mentions Dwayne Fuselier's role in the David Koresh/Branch Davidian mess (I don't know what's true or not there), as well as Tim McVeigh doing the bombing on the anniversary of that, April 19th.

Chapter 8-
Cullen claims that Harris came up with the idea of using bombs to "ease" a "reticent" Dylan into killing. Because he wasn't actively doing anything it wouldn't feel like killing and "Most of Dylan's murders would be over before he faced them."
There is no evidence to suggest Eric came up with the bomb ideas first. Heck, Dylan brought a pipe bomb to Blackjack once so he was definitely into making them. And in the Basement Tapes, it's obvious that Dylan is every bit as on board with the bomb idea as Eric.
Cullen is attributing thoughts and feelings to Eric and Dylan that he couldn't know and that are not supported by the evidence.

He also claimed they would wait outside by their cars to shoot those fleeing the cafeteria. But in Dylan's To Do List he specifically says, "Go to outside hill and wait" Cullen even references the list but leaves that line out- wonder why?
Cullen goes into elaborate detail how Eric and Dylan were establishing a US Infantry technique of       "interlocking fire lanes" for maximum kill and to make sure they could see each other and not hit each other.
There's no evidence to suggest that this was their plan.

Cullen claims Eric and Dylan had been "considering a killing spree for at least a year and a half"
Eric didn't write of it until April of 1998. If he was the mastermind, why is that?
Dylan was the one who wrote of it in 1997. If Cullen is claiming they were planning it for at least a year and a half, doesn't that mean he recognizes that pathetic follower Dylan thought it up first?

Cullen claims they finalized the date as April 19th, in anniversary of Oklahoma and Waco, but that it got pushed to April 20th because Manes didn't get the extra ammo in time.
I've heard this a lot and it may very well be true but I personally have not found definitive confirmation of this although I have searched.
I know Manes bought the ammunition Monday night, but still have found no evidence that this ruined their plan for the attack being on April 19th. Also, he only bought them like 100 rounds of ammunition when they already had something like 700. Doesn't seem like they would have cancelled a year's worth of plans for 100 extra bullets.
In early April on the Basement Tapes, Eric is still pondering whether to do it before or after prom, so when exactly did April 19th become "the day"? If someone can point me to something definitive that shows they were going to do it on Monday, I'd appreciate it.

That's it for tonight- more to come soon...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hallywayhomicide

avatar

Posts : 65
Contribution Points : 4355
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2018-10-12
Age : 15
Location : ireland

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:50 am

the brenda parker thing was OH LORD. the girl admitted she did it out of no life and he didn't even include it! just to push the idea he's a ""popular with the ladies"" deadass the man does anything to make eric look like a popular psychopath and a dylan a follower LMAO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thelmar

avatar

Posts : 193
Contribution Points : 12110
Forum Reputation : 110
Join date : 2018-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:25 am

Chapter 9-
Cullen writes of a heart-to-heart that DeAngelis had with Coach Sanders the day before the shooting. Both expressed regret at not spending as much time as they should with their families; Sanders told DeAngelis he would be cutting back on his coaching; he hadn’t told anyone else yet.
Guess you have to decide whether or not you believe DeAngelis that this is true.
Also wrote that on Tuesday morning Sanders and his wife were both in a hurry and forgot to kiss each other goodbye.


Chapter 10-
Cullen’s timeline is off. He wrote that they were running behind the morning of the attack and that they didn’t pull into the school until 11:10 am. He said the meeting with Brooks at Eric’s car occurred before he went inside and planted the cafeteria bombs. He gives a minute by minute account, saying that although the bombs were set for 11:17, they didn’t plant the bombs until just after 11:14. According to Cullen they then, somehow, got back to their cars, geared up and set their car bombs, with seconds to spare. He writes that the cafeteria surveillance video tape missed them planting the bombs because the custodian was late rewinding the tape.
As we know, the videotape DID catch them planting the bombs and they did it at just before 11 am. They had plenty of time to get everything set up.
Did it really make sense to Cullen that they would plan a large scale assault for “at least a year and a half” and then ruin their plan because they were late?!

He writes Cassie Bernall was “an Evangelical junior who had transferred to Columbine to enlighten nonbelievers.” Uhhhh, no. Her parents sent her to Columbine to get her away from friends that they felt were bad influences.

Cullen writes that Robyn Anderson wanted to leave for lunch and she was so upset with her friends for making her wait for them for 5- 10 minutes that when they finally appeared “Robyn snarled at them.”
This is made up. Robyn went to lunch with Monica Schuster and Tammy Golden. Schuster had 4th hour with Anderson (pg. 1141- 1143) and suggested to Robyn, that day, that they go to lunch. She said Robyn seemed unusually anxious to leave and before getting her car to pick them up, told Schuster to hurry up. But Golden (pg. 821) said there was nothing different about Robyn’s demeanor, she wasn’t rushed and that everything was like it always was when they went out to lunch. Neither Golden nor Schuster say Robyn snapped at them when they got in the car and Robyn doesn’t mention feeling rushed at all.

Cullen also mentions Dylan and Eric each waiting at their own cars for the bombs to go off. Which wasn’t the plan according to what Dylan wrote.

Chapter 11-
When the bombs failed to go off, “Either boy might have panicked but Eric was unflappable, the reverse of his partner. The physical evidence also points to Dylan. Eric apparently acted swiftly to retrieve his emotional young partner.” “Within two minutes, Eric had figured out the bombs had failed, grabbed his packs, crossed the lot to Dylan’s car, rushed with him to the building, and climbed the external stairs to the west exit.
Again, this didn’t happen. They were already on the outside hill, just like they planned. In fact, someone saw Eric there without Dylan a few minutes before the attacj started which suggests Eric got their first and was waiting for him. If he was wiping the emotionally crippled Dylan's chin, why weren’t they together?

Cullen details the initial part of the shooting. I confess I am not up on all the ballistics stuff so while I know Dylan fired significantly less outside I don’t know the details. If anyone else knows, please fill this part in. I do know that a lot of witnesses mentioned seeing Dylan looking like he was firing his gun, so Cullen's depiction of him just standing around watching Eric is inaccurate.

Cullen writes that when Eric was engaged by Deputy Gardner “Dylan did nothing.” He then says, “Dylan fled into the school”. In truth, neither Gardner or Andy Marton saw Dylan when they pulled up, only Eric was outside at that time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hvernon
Top Contributor
avatar

Posts : 262
Contribution Points : 25157
Forum Reputation : 100
Join date : 2016-11-22
Location : Missouri

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:54 pm

Thank you [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for delivering! I never even bothered to read Cullen's book. Amazing to see just how much he actually got wrong.

_________________


"...we will be free, to explore the vast wonders of the stars. To cascade down everlong waterfalls, & thru the warmest seas of pure happiness... no limits... no limits. Nothing will stop us. "


-Dylan Klebold
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 4675
Contribution Points : 83745
Forum Reputation : 143
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:04 pm

Dylan before the library will always be interesting to me. It almost seems like he went from stoic to amazingly cruel

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hvernon
Top Contributor
avatar

Posts : 262
Contribution Points : 25157
Forum Reputation : 100
Join date : 2016-11-22
Location : Missouri

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:47 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Dylan before the library will always be interesting to me. It almost seems like he went from stoic to amazingly cruel

It does. Didn't he shoot Lauren like 8 times?

_________________


"...we will be free, to explore the vast wonders of the stars. To cascade down everlong waterfalls, & thru the warmest seas of pure happiness... no limits... no limits. Nothing will stop us. "


-Dylan Klebold
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rebbie556
Top Contributor


Posts : 337
Contribution Points : 28086
Forum Reputation : 25
Join date : 2017-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:05 pm

"i wonder if this thread will blow out when his parkland book will get released?" omg I'm already cringing. How is he even allowed to continue write his fantasy books? ppl will boycott him someday...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 2785
Contribution Points : 40634
Forum Reputation : 140
Join date : 2017-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:38 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Chapter 3-
He talks a little about the Denver/Littleton area, how Mr. DeAngelis loved lunch duty, and about school shootings. He claimed "not a single shooter emerged" in the 1998- 1999 school year until Eric and Dylan.
Nothing that hit national news occurred but there were school- related shootings during that time that it shouldn't have been too difficult for a reporter to learn about:
12/10/98- Wayne State University- a doctoral student shot and killed his professor
1/8/99- a 15 yr old girl and 17 yr old boy died in a suicide pact in a girl's bathroom at a school in Carrollton, GA
4/16/99- a 15 yr old boy with bipolar disorder fired 2 shots in a classroom in Idaho. No one was injured.

Even still I'm puzzled about the relevancy of including this. In the years prior to Eric and Dylan's attack there had been multiple school shootings, such as shootings at Jonesboro Arkansas, West Paducah Kentucky, Springfield Oregon, and Bethel Alaska.


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Glad to see you putting in a lot of work into this, BTW. Very Happy

_________________
"My guns are the only things that haven't stabbed me in the back."
-Kip Kinkel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thelmar

avatar

Posts : 193
Contribution Points : 12110
Forum Reputation : 110
Join date : 2018-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:51 pm

Not much wrong, to my knowledge, in the next few chapters. Here are brief summaries.


Chapter 12-
Cullen discusses how the news got a lot wrong in the early coverage because of the chaos of what was happening. He also discusses the early police response, how no one was really in charge, and how loads of law enforcement showed up, set up a perimeter but did not enter the school.

Chapter 13-
Introduces Cassie Bernall's parents and how her mother went to the public library to wait on word of her kids. Talks about the frantic search of parents for their kids and the places the kids went when they fled the school. Discusses the news reports.  
Discusses how Sheriff Stone was put in charge and the distrust and criticism of this decision amongst the different agencies. Also details Robyn Anderson's and Nate Dykeman's activities at that time- the details of this stuff came straight from the police reports; it's obvious Cullen did not interview them. But at least it's accurate.

Chapter 14-
Discusses how this was one of the first major crimes with cell phones available and how information from kids and adults within the school was getting to the outside. Cullen says that police were frustrated with contamination of the witness pool by reporters who were interviewing kids still within the building. Much of what the media reported was speculation and incorrect (oh, the irony!).

Chapter 15-
Writes that police knew who the suspects were early on. Describes how the Harris' and Klebold's reacted to the police coming to their houses. All of this is accurate to my knowledge.
Introduces Dwayne Fuselier and goes into his background. I don't know whether there are any exaggerations there or not.
Talks about how early on, the assumption was that there were accomplices involved, cites Chris Morris being interviewed and seen on TV in handcuffs. Also talks about how all the TCM talk took off.

More tomorrow...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
STK
Top Contributor
avatar

Posts : 749
Contribution Points : 21860
Forum Reputation : 38
Join date : 2017-02-10
Location : Somewhere Hot and Dry

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:21 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] you're doing gods work son. bless you.

_________________
"Let us have a dagger between our teeth, a bomb in our hands, and an infinite scorn in our hearts."
- Benito Mussolini

Some people are born with an urge to jump from high places.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
slippy123

avatar

Posts : 525
Contribution Points : 37693
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2015-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:36 am

Now that [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] pointed all those falsehoods out, I wouldn't mind listening to the audiobook to add to the list. If anyone would be kind enough to message me the audio book of cullenbine, or Sue Klebold's book, I'd love you forever. I have some extra free time around the holidays and wouldn't mind listening again to pick out even more falsehoods. I just don't have the time to read the physical book!


Last edited by slippy123 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 4675
Contribution Points : 83745
Forum Reputation : 143
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:52 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Now that [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] pointed all those things out I wouldn't mind listening to the audiobook. If anyone would be kind enough to message me the ebook of cullenbine, or Sue Klebold's book, I'd love you forever. I have some extra free time around the holidays and wouldn't mind listening again to pick out even more falsehoods. I just don't have the time to read the physical book!

Do you have Scribd? Sue's book is there and is read by her. They have Cullens book too I believe.

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
slippy123

avatar

Posts : 525
Contribution Points : 37693
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2015-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:06 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Now that [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] pointed all those things out I wouldn't mind listening to the audiobook. If anyone would be kind enough to message me the ebook of cullenbine, or Sue Klebold's book, I'd love you forever. I have some extra free time around the holidays and wouldn't mind listening again to pick out even more falsehoods. I just don't have the time to read the physical book!

Do you have Scribd? Sue's book is there and is read by her. They have Cullens book too I believe.

I don't, but I will look into it for sure, thanks for letting me know!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 2712
Contribution Points : 66512
Forum Reputation : 222
Join date : 2013-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:58 pm

You can find almost everything in the Columbine Master Archive

click the link below in my signature for access

_________________
Columbine Master Archive

click [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for access
Back to top Go down
View user profile
slippy123

avatar

Posts : 525
Contribution Points : 37693
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2015-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:14 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
You can find almost everything in the Columbine Master Archive

click the link below in my signature for access


Awesome collection! Do you have the audio book of Cullenbine?
I used to have it but, I think I deleted it by accident. I was able to open the the mobi file, with kindle for PC.
I guess I could just copy and paste it into one of those text to speech sites.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Fact Check Cullen's book
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Marked..Best book?
» Find this book!
» Bingo Book
» Amelia Atwater-Rhodes' Other Books
» Lyrian~~ Keep Elves in Check

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Thoughts on the Shooting-
Jump to: