Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

columbine movie

Go down 
+7
katherinex
Tommy QTR
joebox97
LadyStardust
Screamingophelia
V. Pascow
Kerea2244
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Kerea2244
Top 10 Contributor
Kerea2244

Contribution Points : 123650
Forum Reputation : 40

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2019 3:25 pm

if you could direct a movie about columbine, who or what would it be about?
Back to top Go down
V. Pascow

Contribution Points : 49785
Forum Reputation : 55

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2019 3:28 pm

I think a movie loosely based on the deception and manipulation of E & D's peers would be an interesting film. Foreshadowing the events that were to come.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193232
Forum Reputation : 1317

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2019 3:34 pm

I’m a little torn. I’m one hand I think it would be interesting to write something about Dylan or Eric that’s kind of like Dawn Anna. Where you don’t know it’s a Columbine movie be until the end. Maybe I would end it with Dylan leaving the house that morning saying bye.

However there’s so many interesting things you can write about when it comes to the case. It would be interesting also to write a movie about people the kids who survived it.

LadyStardust

Contribution Points : 51342
Forum Reputation : 387

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 9:37 am

I wouldn't restrict it to just a two hour movie. There is enough information, interesting characters, and differing viewpoints to make a long, limited run series! Heck, just exploring the main 2 characters alone, and what led up to NBK, thier psychology, how they did everything, how they hid it - that would take hours in of itself. Then add the parents, friends, and victims and you have 10 or 12 episodes. BUT it would have to be commercial free on a premium station, of good quality, and completely free Cullen's ideas. Some empathy and nuance for the main two. And for goodness sakes - find some decent actors for the boys!
Back to top Go down
joebox97

joebox97

Contribution Points : 69075
Forum Reputation : 255

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 9:44 am

mamaStardust wrote:
I wouldn't restrict it to just a two hour movie. There is enough information, interesting characters, and differing viewpoints to make a long, limited run series! Heck, just exploring the main 2 characters alone, and what led up to NBK, thier psychology, how they did everything, how they hid it - that would take hours in of itself. Then add the parents, friends, and victims and you have 10 or 12 episodes. BUT it would have to be commercial free on a premium station, of good quality, and completely free Cullen's ideas. Some empathy and nuance for the main two. And for goodness sakes - find some decent actors for the boys!

Seriously, I hated the actors in Zero Hour
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 9:49 am

joebox97 wrote:
mamaStardust wrote:

I didn’t like I’m not ashamed but that was the best Dylan.

I could play a better Dylan and I’m
A woman... lol

joebox97

Contribution Points : 69075
Forum Reputation : 255

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 10:01 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
joebox97 wrote:
mamaStardust wrote:

A woman... lol

Even though Zero Day wasn't perfect, I think that was the most believable performance from the boys, actor wise. Even though they looked way too old IMO
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 10:12 am

joebox97 wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
joebox97 wrote:
mamaStardust wrote:

A woman... lol

Even though Zero Day wasn't perfect, I think that was the most believable performance from the boys, actor wise. Even though they looked way too old IMO

I did like the actors who played Dylan and John when they re-enacted the scene of “oh just killing people”

I also thought the actors did well in the scene where Eric and Dylan were wandering around.

LadyStardust

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 10:19 am

If real life Eric were as buff as the actors who protray him, I don't think he would have such low self-esteem. He should have tried lifting weights instead of building bombs.

"I am not Afraid" Dylan was pretty good. But would his acting stand up to meatier material?
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 10:29 am

I imagine it would be hard to play Eric or Dylan for a younger actor. You would not be able to play them as cartoonish.

Contribution Points : 91942
Forum Reputation : 575

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 11:24 am

I'd make a basement tapes movie like Zero day, it would show them making their plans, them casually talking about various topics and so on, the end would be them giving their final goodbyes to their families with news footage of the shooting and the aftermath as the credits roll.

-Lil Peep
Back to top Go down

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 12:17 pm

My movie would be in two parts.

The first part would focus on Eric and Dylan and the way they acted with their family. But I would not focus too much on them only, because at the time no-one knew how important their life would be. They would just be two normal teenagers and their family, so they would almost get a role in the first part of the movie as equal to the one of their brother and their parents. I would not show how they were when they were only together, I would not show them planning the shooting, or drawing violent things, or talking about guns. At the time no-one had any clue so my camera would show them as they acted in society and as they were seen by their parents. I would not necessarily hide red flags, because there may have been a few red flags at the time but I would not hint the viewer about them as their parents didn’t notice them either at the time. If the viewer notice them, good for him. If he doesn’t, good for him too. But they would be very discrete, hidden as they were hidden by Eric and Dylan back them. You know, maybe just a clock on their desk, a drawing in a copy book when they do homework, Eric telling his parents that he is writing an essay about nazis.

Once I would show the Klebold family eat together during the evening, then, for the only time in the movie the camera would follow Dylan saying goodnight to his parents and we would follow him in his room (all in a single sequence-shot) when he is alone at night and show him crying, depressed (but I would keep this scene rather short). I would not show anything suggesting that they could be violent, it is just to create a sharp contrast between the Dylan we know when he is with people and the Dylan when he is alone. This would be the only time in the movie when we see one of them not in public and the only time when we realize that they are not feeling good and that they have serious issues (but still not to the point that we could expect a shooting to happen).

Then the camera would keep filming their daily life as if we had seen nothing and ignore the scene I just told you. And then it will be the second part of the movie: one day, without any clue because I would have shown breakfast and mornings several times before, it would be 20/4. Dylan would leave the house and the camera would stay at home with Sue. We would not expect anything to happen, I would not show the shooting, we would not see Eric and Dylan anymore, just like their parents would never see them again either but didn't know it yet. And the viewer would discover the shooting as Sue discovered it. And then it would be a mix of the aftermath for the parents and the way Eric and Dylan are portrayed in the medias, as monsters and everything. I would really focus on the medias and real TV footage seen at the time so that the viewer would think: “They are wrong, this is not how they were in the first part of the movie. They didn’t act like monsters. And their parents really had no clue.”

And then, although I am not sure about it because I find it too cliche but maybe my last scene would be a TV showing a news report about them and Eric or Dylan's family watching it, and we would keep this TV in the middle of the frame but then show different rooms with different kind of people watching it, a victim, a family of a student killed crying and watching it, a family not related to the shooting, a parent saying: "If my son was planning something like that I would know it", a teenager watching it in his room and being fascinated by it...

I would try to be as respectful as possible to the victims, their families, and Eric and Dylan's families. I think showing the shooting would be counterproductive as I find it hard to remain objective and not to see them as monsters when we see them killing people. I also enjoy shooting scenes in movies but I am aware that it is morbid curiosity and tragedies turned into entertainment so out of respect for people involved in the shooting I would not see any deaths apart from what we could see in TV footage.

And obviously I would end with the name of victims to pay tribute to them, and maybe a short note of sympathy for Eric and Dylan's families although I fear it might be seen as disrespectful to the victims and their families so I'm not sure about that. Maybe there would be no need for a note to them as the movie would be a kind of sympathy note by itself given that if it was done well I would like the viewer to feel sympathy for Eric and Dylan's parents.
Back to top Go down
katherinex

Contribution Points : 61886
Forum Reputation : 125

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 3:53 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I'd love to watch that!
Back to top Go down
cakeman

cakeman

Contribution Points : 80497
Forum Reputation : 1491

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 3:58 pm

Naturally about the massacre to correct the record. Like Zero Hour but accurate, based on witness statements and inference, not storytelling in books.
Back to top Go down

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 5:31 pm

katherinex wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I'd love to watch that!

Find me 1 million dollar and 5 good actors and I'll direct the movie just for you! Smile

The best thing is that it can be done for almost no money. You just need a very few actors, a home and as the shooting is not shown it wouldn't cost much money for effects or to pay for filming it in a school.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 6:32 pm

I can give you one good actor (me) and $10!

Who would I play??
Not that I’ve ever thought of who I’d play if there was a Columbine movie

I’d probably be cast as Patti Nielsen..

arg

Contribution Points : 46966
Forum Reputation : 25

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 6:39 pm

i'd make it a christian propoganda movie
oh wait

arg

arg

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 6:49 pm

in all honesty, i wouldn't want a movie on columbine
it would just give the killers more of what they wanted, eric harris said he wanted to leave a"lasting impression.. start a rebellion" people are becoming desensitised about columbine, some people actually look up to them, and a dramatisation of events now would probably lead to more idolisation then we have now, so the movie should not be about the killers, or barely feature them, I know to most people the interest about the killers is just that, and is completely harmless, but if there's one chance that the movie leads to one more h&k copycat, thats one too many. Documentaries like zero hour are fine, but an actual movie should not be released for the same reason the basement tapes were

LadyStardust

LadyStardust

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 7:13 pm

arg wrote:
...so the movie should not be about the killers, or barely feature them...

Well that wouldn't make for a very interesting movie. E & D are what make this case so fascinating! What would the movie be about? An inept police department? The victims? The victims were all just regular kids. If I want to watch regular kids I'll just go watch my own.

Edgy teens are always going to find something to be edgy about! That shouldn't mean the adults can't watch a movie. (or the basement tapes)
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 7:33 pm

mamaStardust wrote:
arg wrote:

Well that wouldn't make for a very interesting movie. E & D are what make this case so fascinating! What would the movie be about? An inept police department? The victims? The victims were all just regular kids. If I want to watch regular kids I'll just go watch my own.

Edgy teens are always going to find something to be edgy about! That shouldn't mean the adults can't watch a movie. (or the basement tapes)

That was Dawn Anna.

It was about Lauren and her family but you didn’t know it was a Columbine movie until the end.

arg

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 7:46 pm

mamaStardust wrote:
arg wrote:

I was just suggesting alternatives to the movies rather than one just about h&k,
and yes, if everyone who watched a film on h&k was an adult, not succeptible to becoming an "edgy " teen, then i'd happily agree with a film on columbine.

But not everyone who watches that is going to be an adult, no matter how hard somebody tries to stop it a teen susceptible to become desensitsed to the truth about columbine, and end up looking up to the shooters, possibly even becoming a copycat themselves, this is a very small chance as i said, but even that is too large. As a new generation of teens who weren't alive when columbine happened emerges, it's important we don't start dramatising what happened by making a movie about it.

As for "edgy " teens about it, i wouldn't call someone like sol pais who killed herself edgy, rather obsessed with columbine. We do not need or want any more people to turn out like her, and a movie would lead to more disconnect between the drama and the reality, which was mentally ill kids shooting up their school, and hence lead to more people ending up like sol pais. Aswell as this, as previously mentioned it would give eric harris what he wanted, "a lasting impression"

Sorry if this got too ranty or if i took this too seriously but i do feel strongly about keeping what happened real, and not lead people to be misguided about what really happened, i'm perfectly fine with a documentary, but a movie is too much

Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 8:30 pm

On the other hand though, there will always be movies made about uncomfortable subjects.

Look at the uproar about all the Ted Bundy stuff coming out? People are acting like this hasn't been a thing for years and years.

If it is done in a respectful way, it can be a compelling story.

I also don't think the whole no notoriety really works with Eric and Dylan anymore, it has been 20 years. They are like the lightning rod for everything. People know them and with the books, their home movies and the like already released... pandoras box has been opened.

I can see your point of view though, immensely!

I would give my right arm to tackle a movie called "we need to talk about Eric" or write something based on A Mother's Reckoning.

Contribution Points : 61886
Forum Reputation : 125

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 8:35 pm

I loved Dawn Anna. Such a feel good movie until it touches on the massacre and then it really gets you in the gut. But it was so nice to get a glimpse into Lauren's life especially as we had little to no preconceived notions on who she was and what she believed. Whereas I think when Rachel's movie came out it continued to push forward the Christian martyr story instead of focusing on her other passions and other parts of her life that were equally important as her religion to her.
Back to top Go down

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 10:21 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
joebox97 wrote:
mamaStardust wrote:

A woman... lol

I don't know how I feel about that portrayal... the actor that played Dylan kind of looks like a rat lol.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 10:36 pm

hvernon wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
joebox97 wrote:
mamaStardust wrote:

A woman... lol

I don't know how I feel about that portrayal... the actor that played Dylan kind of looks like a rat lol.

The odd meaningful glances between Dylan and Rachel were odd too

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2019 5:28 am

I don't think you can become a copycat by watching a movie only. A copycat is already a person with serious issues, and if he doesn't watch the movie about Eric and Dylan he would find somebody else to copy and fulfill his wish to kill. Besides, if he is already violent it is very likely that he would search about violent people, so he would probably learn about Columbine on the internet for example. Probably very few people would discover Columbine thanks to a movie, they may learn about it but not discover the whole case.

A movie about a shooting can be entertaining, exploitative and sensational depending on how it is directed, but it is also possible to make a movie that is respectful for the victims, modest and even spread an important message. Look at We Need to Talk about Kevin, which advocates for doing something for children with mental health issues. Depending on what you think should be done, you could try to make a movie about Columbine to convince people to focus on mental health issues, gun control, bullying... I am not sure a movie can have a major impact on society, but it may at least have an impact on a few individuals.
Back to top Go down
HanShotFirst
Top Contributor
HanShotFirst

Contribution Points : 64337
Forum Reputation : 1210

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2019 6:35 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
hvernon wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
joebox97 wrote:
mamaStardust wrote:

A woman... lol

The odd meaningful glances between Dylan and Rachel were odd too

Idk if anyone here watches "The League" but when I first saw I'm not Ashamed I was like "oh no no no no they gave Andre a wig and hat and made him play Dylan!"

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Contribution Points : 48718
Forum Reputation : 55

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2019 8:23 am

I don't think we necessarily need a Columbine movie. It would just end up creating even more Columbiners. It could also be inaccurate and spread false rumors or bias. If there was going to be a Columbine movie, it would probably try to explain E&D's motives. That would be complete bullshit because their motives are not known for certain.

But, sure, a well-made Columbine movie could be good, too.
Back to top Go down

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2020 3:06 pm

I would make a film about Eric and Dylan specifically, from when the time they were born to their suicides. It would be live action, and the ending of the movie would be a long length dramatization/Zero Hour style of the shooting from Eric and Dylans POVs. And I would make it as accurate as possible too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

columbine movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: columbine movie   columbine movie Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

columbine movie
Page 1 of 1