Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

[[

Go down 
+2
QuestionMark
Screamingophelia
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193507
Forum Reputation : 1317

[[ Empty
PostSubject: Re: [[   [[ Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2019 9:45 pm

I think Eric was more interested in Timothy McVeigh than Dylan was. I get the sense that while Dylan was all in, I think he was thinking of it more as a killing spree, he would get to play God, look "godlike" while Eric wanted to top Oklahoma City and destroy the whole of Littleton, all of Denver even. He wanted to burn everything to the ground. Where as Dylan wanted destruction but also wanted to die.. so I don't think he was as invested as Eric.

Ah, to be fair, I just remembered it was Dylan who said "I hope we kill at least 200 of you, most deaths in human history" or something like that... I imagine that had something to do with the bombs going off.

I believe there was a thread a while back and it listed everything that each boy did for "NBK" I'd be interested in finding that!

At the very least Eric was more vocal about many of his darker interests than Dylan. Which is why a lot of his friends thought at first that was talked into the shooting. Maybe they looked at Dylan's writings in Eric's yearbook as trying to please Eric and make him laugh. The way he was running around the school laughing was for show... Dylan was a willing participant of course I just simply don't know off the top of my head how much he did to prepare. He seemed more interested in buying pants and cool gloves.

Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120653
Forum Reputation : 3191

[[ Empty
PostSubject: Re: [[   [[ Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2019 12:59 am

I think it was a bit more than wanting to just top McVeigh and copy his M.O. (that of a bombing attack) and follow it up with topping his kill count. Observe:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Quote :
McVeigh wore a printed T-shirt with the motto of the Commonwealth of Virginia, Sic semper tyrannis ("Thus always to tyrants", according to legend what Brutus said as he assassinated Julius Caesar, also shouted by John Wilkes Booth immediately after the assassination of Abraham Lincoln) and "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" (from Thomas Jefferson).[

I think it is likely, based on this Wikipedia excerpt, that Eric and Dylan took another page out of Timothy McVeigh's book and elected to make their own custom T-Shirts with phrases that were significant to them.

slippy123

slippy123

Contribution Points : 105688
Forum Reputation : 1235

[[ Empty
PostSubject: Re: [[   [[ Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2019 1:27 am

People used to think it had something to do with Hitler since the shooting fell on his birthday.
I agree with both statements as I also get the sense Eric was more interested in Timothy McVeigh, but more of a blueprint as to the damage bombs could do, if built correctly.

Speaking of the date, I've always wondered how many students were saved because they skipped school to smoke weed on 4/20.
I know plenty did in my high-school, although some skipped that day just because, even though they didn't smoke.

Pretty crazy to think to think that smoking weed possibly saved some lives Very Happy
Back to top Go down
LadyStardust

LadyStardust

Contribution Points : 51617
Forum Reputation : 387

[[ Empty
PostSubject: Re: [[   [[ Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2019 11:06 am

QuestionMark wrote:
I think it was a bit more than wanting to just top McVeigh and copy his M.O. (that of a bombing attack) and follow it up with topping his kill count. Observe:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Quote :
McVeigh wore a printed T-shirt with the motto of the Commonwealth of Virginia, Sic semper tyrannis ("Thus always to tyrants", according to legend what Brutus said as he assassinated Julius Caesar, also shouted by John Wilkes Booth immediately after the assassination of Abraham Lincoln) and "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" (from Thomas Jefferson).[

I think it is likely, based on this Wikipedia excerpt, that Eric and Dylan took another page out of Timothy McVeigh's book and elected to make their own custom T-Shirts with phrases that were significant to them.

Wow, that is very interesting! And it makes sense, because Eric certainly took inspiration from and wanted to outdo McVeigh. After all, the Oklahoma City Bombing was only four years before Columbine, so Eric would have been familiar with it. So now, the shooters who take inspiration from Eric and Dylan and wear shirts with messages, are unwittingly taking inspiration from McVeigh! When in reality, the current shooters may not even be familiar with the OKC bombing.

From my reaerch, I think the attack was planned for 19th and got delayed. But that is definately a debated topic!
Back to top Go down
Lunkhead McGrath

Contribution Points : 76611
Forum Reputation : 225

[[ Empty
PostSubject: Re: [[   [[ Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2019 4:59 am

And OKC happened because of Ruby Ridge and Waco....but Columbine is the most well remembered and influential of the 4
Back to top Go down
Imperator

Imperator

Contribution Points : 73520
Forum Reputation : 175

[[ Empty
PostSubject: Re: [[   [[ Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2019 1:33 pm

Quote :
And OKC happened because of Ruby Ridge and Waco....but Columbine is the most well remembered and influential of the 4
I think the reason that is, is because it involved teenagers targeting defenseless kids in school under the guise of bullying. RR, Waco and OKC revolved around Federal Government. While the latter three did involve the death of children, it wasn't children killing children like in Columbine. That is far more intriguing to the American psyche and sensationalism than the standard fight the Government, anarchist routine.

I think columbine reaches a far more impressionable audience via disenfranchised youth as well which helps keep it in the lime light so to speak. It romanticizes the classic David-Goliath scenario. Bullied stands up to the bully (even though we know that is patently untrue). Real or perceived injustices is irrelevant to those that have been inspired by E & D.
Back to top Go down
Lunkhead McGrath

Contribution Points : 76611
Forum Reputation : 225

[[ Empty
PostSubject: Re: [[   [[ Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2019 10:38 pm

Well, yes, there's a big fat soap opera going on with Columbine, as opposed to the standard angry redneck stuff of RR, the disgusting cult silliness of Waco and the angry young PSTD soldier political lunatic spree of OKC. Few wanted to identify with Koresh or McVeigh but I guess Randy Weaver survived and gives lectures today towards people willing to listen to a guy who wants racial separatism.

You know what killing spree has been REALLY, REALLY forgotten? MARK BARTON. 1999--right after Columbine--pissed off guy lost a bunch of money on the stock market, killed his wife and two kids, then killed a bunch of people at his company and the neighboring company. Left notes about being exonerated in the afterlife. 12 dead, very close to Columbine, hideous tragedy, and you can look up pictures of the guy dead in his car too. NOBODY talks about that one anymore--you go ask ANY kid if they've heard of one of the four tragedies we're talking about, you might get a yes--but they will NOT have heard of Mark Barton.
Back to top Go down
Imperator

Imperator

Contribution Points : 73520
Forum Reputation : 175

[[ Empty
PostSubject: Re: [[   [[ Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2019 10:44 pm

You're right, I've never heard of Mark Barton and I'm old enough to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

[[ Empty
PostSubject: Re: [[   [[ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[[
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Thoughts on the Shooting-
Jump to: