Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dylan "dying" at 13

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193746
Forum Reputation : 1317

Dylan "dying" at 13 Empty
PostSubject: Dylan "dying" at 13   Dylan "dying" at 13 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2019 9:01 pm

There was an article back in the day about Dylan's funeral and the person officiating it had said and I am paraphrasing "it is like he died as a child, all of the stories were from when he was young."

We all know that Junior year seems to be this tipping point for Dylan and Eric.

However we know from his writings that he was self harming as early as Sophomore year (grade 10)

We don't hear a ton about Dylan as an underclassman except for the fact that he didn't make the baseball team. I don't even know if he was doing anything for plays then... I think he was, because of Sarah Slater's interviews, i think she was friends with him and Zach when they were Freshman and she talks about Dylan being sad even back then.

I cannot help but wonder if there were more signs even earlier of Dylan's anger etc.. or maybe it was too normal to talk about and when Dylan got into trouble Junior year, that is when Tom and Sue noticed a bit more?

Dylan "dying" at 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan "dying" at 13   Dylan "dying" at 13 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2019 10:14 pm

I have a feeling Dylan was showing signs of depression and anger as early as grade school. I think for every time his parents might have noticed something and gotten him help, they dismissed it as being a little boy, then being a teenager. Sue states a few times in her book how depression in a child or teen does not look like depression in an adult and that makes it overlooked.
It seems as if his sophomore year with self harm was a time HE probably figured out or thought something was amiss. Many times people with depression don’t realize they have it until someone close can get them help.
The funeral was filled with stories of Dylan as a young boy probably because that’s how everyone viewed and remembered him. They never saw him as a raged filled and depressed person. I still don’t think sue will ever view him how he was on the BT. He will forever be a young, shy, helpless boy. Her book is difficult to read in the sense that she is biased him being her son. I know she says she missed things but I don’t think she’d be any different if she got to do it all over again.
Anger when he was a child shows in how upset and angry he got when people would laugh when he’d mess up or do something embarrassing. It started the pile that turned into the heap of anger by the time he was 17 yrs old. His junior year with the incident also points to anger and yet they just toss it to the side as him being a teen.
Back to top Go down

Dylan "dying" at 13
Page 1 of 1