Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Egotistical God

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Akknowslife

Akknowslife

Contribution Points : 45626
Forum Reputation : 25

Egotistical God  Empty
PostSubject: Egotistical God    Egotistical God  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2019 1:39 pm

Hello there people
I'm new here and but I have a pretty decent knowledge on Columbine incident. I made my final opinion about the whole situation but have and will have questions in the future and would love to hear your own thoughts on them.

One of my first question is related to a hate writing written by Harris where he says that he hates religions and that he sooner burn to death than say that he worships some egotistical God.

This made me ask. Why egotistical? Couldnt he just say 'I sooner burn to death than say I worship some (fictional) God or (fictional Santa)?

Was it personal to him? Did Harris hated the way how people viewed God that made his life a misery? or Did he say that to piss off 'delusional Christians'?

Or is there some other simple or complex answer to it?
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96724
Forum Reputation : 1190

Egotistical God  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Egotistical God    Egotistical God  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2019 1:56 pm

I think you could view it many ways. Only Eric knows exactly what he was thinking.

However the area itself was very very Christian and God centered so it wouldn't surprise me if he was tired of the whole concept of religion and the "goody goody" Godly people.

There are theories out there that Eric and Dylan wanted to be/thought of themselves as their own kind of "god" which maybe that would explain him not wanting to follow another god, but I think of that more for Dylan rather than Eric

cakeman

cakeman

Contribution Points : 81097
Forum Reputation : 1491

Egotistical God  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Egotistical God    Egotistical God  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2020 12:39 am

While of course I don't know, I think the answer is pretty simple. God's purported ego is tied to worship. He's saying he doesn't wanna worship him. An egotistical thing would need to be worshiped, is presumably the claim. Fictional would contrast with other things, but not the wish not to worship. A fedora might instead say "I'd rather be doing REAL stuff than reading about some fictional God." if God being a fiction was their criticism.

Also it's just a really common claim to say God is not just nonexistent but immoral, and I feel probably Eric was parroting somebody a teenager would listen to during his atheism phase.
Back to top Go down
thelmar

thelmar

Contribution Points : 83307
Forum Reputation : 3068

Egotistical God  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Egotistical God    Egotistical God  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2020 11:06 am

cakeman wrote:
God's purported ego is tied to worship.

Re-iterating that none of us can know what Eric believed, but I think it's something along these lines. From my understanding, a basis of most of Christianity is that is doesn't really matter what kind of life you lead, how good of a person you are. If you don't accept God or worship God, then you won't go to Heaven just because you haven't accepted him as your Savior. That seems pretty egotistical- like God is keeping you out of Heaven just because you didn't kiss his feet, even though you've led an exemplary life. Like, it's more about what you do for God than what you do for mankind.

It might also have to do with some of the biblical stories like that of Job. I'll spare the details, for those unfamiliar this is a pretty succinct summary
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
But basically, God allows Satan to destroy Job's life and physical health just to prove that Job will remain loyal to God no matter what. And when Job does, ever so slightly falter (IMO) in his devotion, God basically says, "how dare you question me, I created everything, I am power itself" and gets Job back into line.
Sounds pretty egotistical.
Back to top Go down
cakeman

cakeman

Contribution Points : 81097
Forum Reputation : 1491

Egotistical God  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Egotistical God    Egotistical God  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2020 4:25 pm

I think he would agree, or was copying someone who would agree.

Then again, of course they said they were gods and for example the t shirts seem to have been "wrath" chosen over "revenge" - and wrath is most associated with His wrath, though I know it's also e. g. the last song on Xtort.  Much the same for playing God and being natural selection embodied.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Egotistical God  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Egotistical God    Egotistical God  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Egotistical God
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Thoughts on the Shooting-
Jump to: