Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mortal Kombat and PC vs Console

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Mortal Kombat and PC vs Console Empty
PostSubject: Mortal Kombat and PC vs Console   Mortal Kombat and PC vs Console Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2020 9:45 am

Was there any evidence that either Eric and Dylan were huge Mortal Kombat fans? I can't find anything to suggest that other then the Mortal Kombat WAD Eric made for DOOM.

Also, I wonder what they thought of PC vs consoles. I wonder if they owned a PlayStation or N64. They don't seem to mention those anywhere.
Back to top Go down
Adzybear

Adzybear

Contribution Points : 61386
Forum Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat and PC vs Console   Mortal Kombat and PC vs Console Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2020 12:21 pm

Brooks Brown mentioned in his book that they played Mortal Kombat back when it came out. He said that they laughed at the fatalities. (Edit) It was Dylan that Brooks was referring to.
Back to top Go down
Onyx
Top Contributor
Onyx

Contribution Points : 49552
Forum Reputation : 378

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat and PC vs Console   Mortal Kombat and PC vs Console Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2020 7:51 pm

Here is the part of Brooks' book that mentions Mortal Kombat:

"IT WAS THURSDAY AFTERNOON, AFTER ANOTHER LONG DAY IN SIXTH grade. Dylan, my little brother Aaron, and I were taking our usual thirty minutes of video game play in front of the TV. This had become a tradition for the three of us, now that I was at Shaffer Elementary. Dylan's mom was still at work for the first few hours after school, so my mom would pick Dylan up and bring him over to my house. When Mrs. Klebold got off work, she came over and joined us. Today, though, we were treating our video games far more seriously than usual. After all, we had just acquired a new title: Mortal Kombat. The concept behind Mortal Kombat is simple. It's a martial arts fighting game. The player chooses from eight different warriors, all of who have come to the “Shaolin Tournament” for different reasons. Scorpion, the undead ninja, is seeking revenge on his opponent, Sub-Zero; Johnny Cage is the martial-arts movie star; Sonja, the American fighter, is chasing after arch-criminal Kano; Liu Kang is seeking honor for his family, and so on. Mind you, these plot details don't matter much in the grand scheme of things. All that matters is that you beat the crap out of the other guy before he beats the crap out of you. The player who takes two rounds out of three is the winner of the fight. Aaron and I had saved up our money for weeks to buy Mortal Kombat. We'd even found the “blood code” for the game in one of our gaming magazines. If you entered the right button combination at Mortal Kombat's title screen, it would enable blood to fly from your opponent every time you connected a punch, making the game seem far more “adult,” like an R-rated movie. Now it was finally ours. We had the manual sitting there in front of us, stating the button configurations for each move the characters did. From Johnny Cage's Splits to Liu Kang's Fireball, we had the moves memorized before we even started playing. I chose to play as Scorpion. Aaron chose Sub-Zero. Dylan chose Kano. We were ready. By now, Mrs. Klebold had arrived at the house. My mom started the timer for our thirty minutes, and then she and Mrs. Klebold left us to it.

Only two can fight at a time, so the three of us constantly rotated: the winner of a round took on the person who had sat out the last round. Unfortunately, this meant that my brother stayed in the game while Dylan and I keep trading off. Aaron was two years younger than us, and it drove me crazy to get beaten so regularly by my little brother. But we still played relentlessly. After all, we wanted to see something never seen before in a video game: a fatality. The fatality was a new concept, introduced in Mortal Kombat. After one player won two rounds out of three, the screen went dark. In a deep, sinister voice, the game instructed the player to “finish him.” The player would have about two seconds to hit the right button combination; if he hit it in time, then the winner would do a special “trick” to finish off the other character. We didn't know what the trick would be, of course; we were only ten and twelve years of age. The instructions didn't tell us. My brother was the first to pull it off. After beating Dylan, Aaron quickly nailed the combination. We watched as Sub-Zero reached over, grabbed Kano's head, and ripped it from his body, complete with the gruesome sound of tearing flesh. Sub-Zero then held the dripping head aloft in triumph—the spine dangling from the now- severed skull—as bonus points piled up under Aaron's score. We burst out laughing. Not far away, my mother and Mrs. Klebold were having a conversation about the new violent video game that their sons were playing. Mrs. Klebold—the same mom who wouldn't let Dylan play with toy guns—had reservations about Mortal Kombat. She was scared that this violence might affect us in a negative way. She thought maybe she should take the game away. My mom was concerned as well. Aaron and I had been brought up in a very nonviolent home. When we were younger, my parents watched movies before we could, then noted where the violent scenes were so they could fast-forward through them whenever we were there. In fact, one time my dad fell asleep in front of the TV during the movie Beetlejuice, so my brother Aaron wound up seeing the scenes that my mom had deemed “too scary.” My mom really let my dad have it over that. Now, though, we were older, and my mom was learning to loosen the reins a little. She suggested that she and Mrs. Klebold listen to us while we played. They would decide what to do about the game based on our reaction. We were laughing.

There was blood dripping from Kano's spine, and skin flaps hanging from his severed head. A pool of blood was forming on the ground. We weren't traumatized. We weren't crying. We were laughing—and we didn't feel bad, not one bit. Why? Why did three boys laugh at such a disturbing death? Why were young boys all over the nation laughing? Was this, as some would have you believe, really the beginning of the fall of Dylan Klebold? Mortal Kombat represented the beginning of violence as a selling point in video games. After the success of that game, publishers went crazy with blood and gore. From Doom to Postal to State of Emergency, all violent-themed games owe something to Mortal Kombat."
Back to top Go down
Adzybear

Adzybear

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat and PC vs Console   Mortal Kombat and PC vs Console Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2020 11:10 pm

Thanks Onyx! That's exactly what I was referring to. I was the same age as Eric & Dylan so I remember being about 13 when Mortal Kombat came out for the Super Nintendo & Megadrive (Genesis)
I am from the UK so the Genesis was known as The Mega Drive over here. I also believe that it was only the Super Nintendo that you would have to input the "blood code". The Genesis/Megadrive somehow got away without having the blood censorship.

Great game actually. Street Fighter 2 & Mortal Kombat were huge at the time. I remember wasting many hours with friends during sleepovers playing these 2 fighting games. The winner would stay on, dares would be bet beforehand for the loser sometimes too. I once remember having to BMX naked around the block at 2AM after losing to a 30 match tournament to my younger cousin! Luckily, there were no mobile phones with cameras back in 1992 (Thank God)
Back to top Go down
cakeman

cakeman

Contribution Points : 81097
Forum Reputation : 1491

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat and PC vs Console   Mortal Kombat and PC vs Console Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2020 3:04 pm

As above, Brooks goes on and on about Mortal Kombat, almost to avoid going on about Doom or Duke Nukem 3D. It's chapter 4 and his book is on his archive.org

Eric said he was at the bottom of the "Food chain" on the Basement Tapes, which is a reference to the playstation DOOM poster. I think Brooks said Dylan and he first started talking over both owning an NES (Nintendo 1.0). So they did use consoles, while the evidence does suggest they were more often PC gamers.
Back to top Go down
Lunkhead McGrath

Contribution Points : 76986
Forum Reputation : 275

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat and PC vs Console   Mortal Kombat and PC vs Console Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2020 10:51 pm

I remember being 11 in 1993 when the game came out and nearly throwing up at the sight of MK's stupid spaghetti-sauce-looking blood. Boy am I ashamed nowadays.

But yes, that game probably screwed us 90s kids up a bit. Just a bit, though. I mean, Eric Harris wasn't a pussy-pounding ladies man who got lots and lots of chicks because of it.
Back to top Go down
Adzybear

Adzybear

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat and PC vs Console   Mortal Kombat and PC vs Console Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2020 5:39 am

Lunkhead McGrath wrote:
I remember being 11 in 1993 when the game came out and nearly throwing up at the sight of MK's stupid spaghetti-sauce-looking blood.  Boy am I ashamed nowadays.  

But yes, that game probably screwed us 90s kids up a bit.  Just a bit, though.  I mean, Eric Harris wasn't a pussy-pounding ladies man who got lots and lots of chicks because of it.

I loved Mortal Kombat  & Street Fighter 2.....

Sub Zero for MK....Chun Li for SF2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat and PC vs Console   Mortal Kombat and PC vs Console Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2020 8:34 pm

cakeman wrote:
As above, Brooks goes on and on about Mortal Kombat, almost to avoid going on about Doom or Duke Nukem 3D. It's chapter 4 and his book is on his archive.org

Eric said he was at the bottom of the "Food chain" on the Basement Tapes, which is a reference to the playstation DOOM poster. I think Brooks said Dylan and he first started talking over both owning an NES (Nintendo 1.0). So they did use consoles, while the evidence does suggest they were more often PC gamers.
Absolutley zero evidence that I know of to support saying Eric had a PS1 or N64 which were the popular consoles at the time. Never in any of his journals. Neither does Dylan.

I'm just kind of surprised that they didnt mention them. Those consoles were HUGE at the time because of 3D capabilities and with them being such big gamers you'd think they wouldve owned one.

They were obviously avid PC Gamers. We know this.
Back to top Go down
cakeman

cakeman

Contribution Points : 81097
Forum Reputation : 1491

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat and PC vs Console   Mortal Kombat and PC vs Console Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2020 10:58 pm

Rancid43 wrote:
cakeman wrote:

Absolutley zero evidence that I know of to support saying Eric had a PS1 or N64 which were the popular consoles at the time. Never in any of his journals. Neither does Dylan.

I'm just kind of surprised that they didnt mention them. Those consoles were HUGE at the time because of 3D capabilities and with them being such big gamers you'd think they wouldve owned one.

They were obviously avid PC Gamers. We know this.
I seem to recall one or the other mentioned in the evidence list or somewhere, but yeah, I know; I didn't cite their journals, nonetheless I presented evidence. There's also that clip of Dylan at the beginning of Lost Boys or whatever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat and PC vs Console   Mortal Kombat and PC vs Console Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mortal Kombat and PC vs Console
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Thoughts on the Shooting-
Jump to: