Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Did any of the "main" survivors attend any of the funerals?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Szabo

Contribution Points : 68203
Forum Reputation : 35

Did any of the "main" survivors attend any of the funerals? Empty
PostSubject: Did any of the "main" survivors attend any of the funerals?   Did any of the "main" survivors attend any of the funerals? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2020 8:07 am

I only found out last night that Emily Wyant attended Cassie Bernall's funeral (they had hid under the same table in the library), and I'm wondering if any of the other survivors attended any of the funerals as well.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193746
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Did any of the "main" survivors attend any of the funerals?   Did any of the "main" survivors attend any of the funerals? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2020 8:22 am

Szabo wrote:
I only found out last night that Emily Wyant attended Cassie Bernall's funeral (they had hid under the same table in the library), and I'm wondering if any of the other survivors attended any of the funerals as well.

I think Nick attended Rachel's funeral and I am not sure if Val was out of the hospital in time for Lauren's (there is a site where it says when the injured survivors were released from the hospital) Amanda Stair I believe talks about the funerals she went to, but I don't remember which ones. I also would assume if Austin was out of the hospital he went to Corey's...

I have to assume many survivors went to almost all of the funerals, except for Dylan's of course. There is a quote at the memorial that says something like "kids shouldn't have to go to so many funerals" There were 14 funerals in like 5 days.

5PMSomewhere

Contribution Points : 54105
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Did any of the "main" survivors attend any of the funerals?   Did any of the "main" survivors attend any of the funerals? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2020 2:58 pm

Brooks (if he counts as a survivor) went to Rachel's funeral
Back to top Go down
milennialrebelette

milennialrebelette

Contribution Points : 59890
Forum Reputation : 725

PostSubject: Re: Did any of the "main" survivors attend any of the funerals?   Did any of the "main" survivors attend any of the funerals? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2020 7:12 pm

I went to Rachel's funeral with my mom and sister. I also attended Daniel Mauser's and Kelly Flemming's joint funeral mass with my mom, sister and my brother that time. It was held at St. Francis Cabrinu, the parish my family was very active in (my sister was a Lifeteen, a Catholix youth group and Confirmation group leader with Val and my brother was friends with Daniel from being in the same Confirmation group and having done Relifious Ed and middke school youth grouo with him)

My sister went to a bunch more funerals, my brother only went to Danny and Kelly's as well as Steven Curnow.

My sister said there were two main groups if you will, after the shooting, based on how people grieved. The main group hung out in Clement Park, went to all the memorials and funerals, did all the Columbine group stuff. Even my sister who did all that because she was a varsity pom and it was her "group" got jaded about it, with so many kids who didn't know the victims taking up more of the spotlight in the student community.

Some other kids more like my brother who was a freshman into computers and wrestled freshman year but quit because he didn't like the jocks, avoided that. Many stayed home, and others went beyond that by missing the opening day oeo rally in the fall and skipping out on classes held that spring at Chatfield.

Val was released from hospital the day of Lauren's funeral my sister remembers and doesn't believe she was there. The Schnurrs lived a block or two away from us and I know my mom cooked some food for them and Rachel's family and dropped it off. I remember helping her in the kitchen and her making extra for Kathy and the Harris family but I don't know if she was able to bring it to her or not.

Screamingophelia likes this post

Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193746
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Did any of the "main" survivors attend any of the funerals?   Did any of the "main" survivors attend any of the funerals? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2020 7:29 pm

milennialrebelette wrote:
I went to Rachel's funeral with my mom and sister. I also attended Daniel Mauser's and Kelly Flemming's joint funeral mass with my mom, sister and my brother that time. It was held at St. Francis Cabrinu, the parish my family was very active in (my sister was a Lifeteen, a Catholix youth group and Confirmation group leader with Val and my brother was friends with Daniel from being in the same Confirmation group and having done Relifious Ed and middke school youth grouo with him)

My sister went to a bunch more funerals, my brother only went to Danny and Kelly's as well as Steven Curnow.

My sister said there were two main groups if you will, after the shooting, based on how people grieved. The main group hung out in Clement Park, went to all the memorials and funerals, did all the Columbine group stuff. Even my sister who did all that because she was a varsity pom and it was her "group" got jaded about it, with so many kids who didn't know the victims taking up more of the spotlight in the student community.

Some other kids more like my brother who was a freshman into computers and wrestled freshman year but quit because he didn't like the jocks, avoided that. Many stayed home, and others went beyond that by missing the opening day oeo rally in the fall and skipping out on classes held that spring at Chatfield.

Val was released from hospital the day of Lauren's funeral my sister remembers and doesn't  believe she was there. The Schnurrs lived a block or two away from us and I know my mom cooked some food for them and Rachel's family and dropped it off. I remember helping her in the kitchen and her making extra for Kathy and the Harris family but I don't know if she was able to bring it to her or not.

I know in Amanda's video she touched on it a little bit and my friend was a senior that year and I know she went to Chatfield the rest of the year but I don't think she really paid much attention in class... I assume she went to Mr. Sanders funeral.

So my question is, was there anyone who just didn't go back and then returned in the fall? How were the classes? I don't believe Robyn or Nate Dykeman returned (not sure if they were allowed to...)

WhereHaveYouBeen likes this post

Back to top Go down
milennialrebelette

milennialrebelette

Contribution Points : 59890
Forum Reputation : 725

PostSubject: Re: Did any of the "main" survivors attend any of the funerals?   Did any of the "main" survivors attend any of the funerals? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2020 10:13 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
milennialrebelette wrote:

Val was released from hospital the day of Lauren's funeral my sister remembers and doesn't  believe she was there. The Schnurrs lived a block or two away from us and I know my mom cooked some food for them and Rachel's family and dropped it off. I remember helping her in the kitchen and her making extra for Kathy and the Harris family but I don't know if she was able to bring it to her or not.

I know in Amanda's video she touched on it a little bit and my friend was a senior that year and I know she went to Chatfield the rest of the year but I don't think she really paid much attention in class... I assume she went to Mr. Sanders funeral.

So my question is, was there anyone who just didn't go back and then returned in the fall? How were the classes? I don't believe Robyn or Nate Dykeman returned (not sure if they were allowed to...)

There were a bunch of kids who didn't go back but for different reasons.

The first and biggest group were seniors, they were so close to being done anyway and their high school experience had already been devastated, they saw no reason to end it with the whole class but no class stuff over at Chatfield.

The next group was people who were traumatized for whatever reason, most had lost close friends like my sister, others had been first hand witnesses to varying degrees, while the remainder was a hodge podge of different trauma based reasons, kids who were in the choir room hours, kids who weren't close with the victims or witnesses to the violence but just couldn't handle it yet. Those groups ended up becoming stratified and judgemental/judged just as Amanda talked about.

Then there were the "outcast" or "loner" kids. A handful were Eric and Dylans friends who were approached by the district saying it might not be a good idea to go back. You have to understand at the time there was so much paranoia, uncertainity and gossip traveled like wildfire and was believed to be factual. Kids like Nate and Robyn who were also seniors acquiesced to the district request, the majority didnt want to go back anyway. Looking back it seems cruel. At the time the cruelness was coming from the student body and community, with rumors and lies aired on national news as gospel fact, kids were scared, there was still no explanation nor just of the motive but of what actually happened that day. For some of the underclassmen who still needed to be in school in the future, alternative schooling possibilities were presented as options if that's what they wanted to do.

Then you have Brooks who went on the news immediately. I'll put aside my views and beliefs about him, his family and what they did for a moment. He was all over the news blaming all the teachers and students, while some of what he said may have been true in some capacity while other stuff was just more dramatized rumors. He was fueling a fire where the community was already dry kindling ready to burst. The trade off for what he did was not to go to the last two weeks of "classes" where nothing was taught and kids were trying to have comradery and grieve.

He wouldn't have gone back anyway, if he never spoke on the news, even if he didn't flaunt being friends with Eric and Dylan, I have no doubt he wouldn't have shown up. But if he hadn't spoken on the news like that snd hadn't started reclaiming Dylan and Eric as his closest friends so publicly, he wouldn't have been asked to not return for those last days. It was for his own safety, as well as the safety and well-being of the other students. They weren't trying to silence him they were trying to protect all their students including Brooks, and try to recreate a safe environment in the midst of the absolute worst chaos, trauma, anguish, etc. Without hindsight of what we now know what happened, no one at the time would have been able to make up a perfect solution.

Screamingophelia likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did any of the "main" survivors attend any of the funerals?   Did any of the "main" survivors attend any of the funerals? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Did any of the "main" survivors attend any of the funerals?
Page 1 of 1