Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing

Go down 
+6
maninthebox
Yumeko-chan
tragedy79
em81
tfsa47090
jettfyre80
10 posters
AuthorMessage
jettfyre80

Contribution Points : 94560
Forum Reputation : 0

Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Empty
PostSubject: Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing    Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 2:20 am

I was a senior in 1999 when Eric and Dylan were and I remember kids in my school (in Florida) wearing trenchcoats as well. This was before the massacre. I think it was inspired by The Matrix movies. Did kids in your school wear trench coats before Columbine?

PostSubject: Re: Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing    Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 3:07 am

Bam Margera wore one in the first CKY :')

I've never seen people wear them in my high school, I wonder if it was more of a trend in the states?
Back to top Go down
tfsa47090
Global Moderator & Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 101363
Forum Reputation : 91

PostSubject: Re: Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing    Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 3:31 am

When I was a child, I saw teens/young adults wearing trenchcoats, primarily black or dark brown ones, in the later 80s. And I saw it well into the 90s, long before columbine. A good number of kids in my high school wore them, too. I am from Massachusetts (Boston area), by the way.
Back to top Go down
em81

Contribution Points : 101549
Forum Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing    Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 8:43 am

I wore a black trench coat (1998-2000) and it had nothing to do with Columbine. I only liked the style. But of course is was moore a "girly" coat, waisted and no leather.
Back to top Go down
tragedy79

Contribution Points : 102320

PostSubject: Re: Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing    Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 9:55 am

Greetje wrote:
Bam Margera wore one in the first CKY :')

I've never seen people wear them in my high school, I wonder if it was more of a trend in the states?

In the Netherlands the tough guys wore 3/4 leather jackets in 98/9

The Matrix was only released just a view weeks before the massacre, btw

PostSubject: Re: Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing    Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 10:24 am

I only got into high school a year after Columbine, so I don't know what it was like before. I remember seeing a few of the older guys walk around in trenchcoat-esque styles, though. I don't think the 'trend' took off here half as much as it sounds like it did in the States. (We had more of a bandshirt-phase and those freakin' wide pants and random chains that looked like they were coming out of your ass going on trend-wise..  Laughing )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing    Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 12:22 pm

thedragonrampant wrote:
I only got into high school a year after Columbine, so I don't know what it was like before. I remember seeing a few of the older guys walk around in trenchcoat-esque styles, though. I don't think the 'trend' took off here half as much as it sounds like it did in the States. (We had more of a bandshirt-phase and those freakin' wide pants and random chains that looked like they were coming out of your ass going on trend-wise..  Laughing )

Haha overzeas! I wore those in high school.. Dark times..
Back to top Go down
Yumeko-chan

Contribution Points : 105665
Forum Reputation : 102

PostSubject: Re: Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing    Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 1:28 pm

They were wearing them before the Matrix movies came out.
Back to top Go down
tragedy79

PostSubject: Re: Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing    Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 1:31 pm

Yumeko-chan wrote:

That was what I said! The Matrix movie just came out a couple of weeks before the massacre. So, that couldn't be the reason, right?

Contribution Points : 105665
Forum Reputation : 102

PostSubject: Re: Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing    Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 4:25 pm

They were wearing them for several years before the shooting. Not to look cool, but just 'cause they were warm.
Back to top Go down
maninthebox

Contribution Points : 99802
Forum Reputation : 8

PostSubject: Re: Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing    Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 4:49 pm

And they weren't technically trenchcoats, right? I thought trenchcoats always had two rows of buttons and a belt, sort of more elegant, a-la Burberry
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 119083
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing    Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 5:03 pm

They were not trench coats, no. They were actually Australian dusters. A trench coat is actually a kind a rain coat made to wear in the rain/snow.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing    Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 5:04 pm

maninthebox wrote:
And they weren't technically trenchcoats, right? I thought trenchcoats always had two rows of buttons and a belt, sort of more elegant, a-la Burberry  

I think they were referred to in a lot of places as "dusters" or even "Australian dusters."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing    Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 5:13 pm

At my High school and where I live most kids wear them to stay warm or to hide food/drugs which the cops always end up finding one way or another. I Wear a more shorter/white Duster.
Back to top Go down
queenfarooq

Contribution Points : 102687
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing    Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 8:19 pm

jettfyre80 wrote:
I was a senior in 1999 when Eric and Dylan were and I remember kids in my school (in Florida) wearing trenchcoats as well. This was before the massacre. I think it was inspired by The Matrix movies. Did kids in your school wear trench coats before Columbine?

I wouldn't call them trenchcoats as such, but a group of kids (me included) did occasionally wear long black coats pre-1999. I had two of them if i remember correctly but they were more of a girls version, one of mine was made out a cotton type material as opposed to leather. But i do remember at least one friend of mine owned one of the more traditional looking trench coats / dusters, although i think they wore that more for warmth rather than fashion. The actual trench coat / duster was never popular at my high school, but some form of long black coat was just something the goth kids would wear.

thedragonrampant wrote:
(We had more of a bandshirt-phase and those freakin' wide pants and random chains that looked like they were coming out of your ass going on trend-wise..  Laughing )

I cringe when i think about the amount of wide pants / chains i used to own. I still love my band shirts though  Smile I had to wear a school uniform at my high school but you could get away with wearing a band hoodie as long as it wasn't offensive and you took it off in class. I would say for me personally and my group of friends this was more of a trend than anything else.

maninthebox wrote:
Duster mafia... TCM sounds cooler!

"Duster mafia"  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jettfyre80

PostSubject: Re: Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing    Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 1:35 am

In Florida there was really no need for them, but kids wore them along with those huge baggy black "bondage pants" (that's what we called them with the straps and stuff hanging down). I remember one kid in particular would wear a woman's black trench coat and makeup and he was a guy. People in my school never teased him about it. It was like "Oh that's cool! He's being different."
I miss my school so much! lol I can't believe its been 15 yrs.

PostSubject: Re: Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing    Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 1:38 am

Yumeko-chan wrote:

Ahh ok. Everything before 2005 is a blur to me. lol

PostSubject: Re: Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing    Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 2:40 am

Trench Coats are one of the classic pieces that will never go out of style. I highly recommend the Burberry trench coats for those who can afford it. I would love to wear a trench coat but like Eric I'm very tiny and would look like I'm drowning in one like he did.
Back to top Go down
tragedy79

PostSubject: Re: Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing    Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 2:49 am

thedragonrampant wrote:

Better then a view years before that...trainingsuits and pumped up kicks with bold heads. Yuck! I hated the Gabber-look Mad 

Contribution Points : 97239

PostSubject: Re: Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing    Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 5:13 am

A close friend wore a trench exactly the same as E & D from 1995 to 1999. My sibling who was a senior student during Columbine got the speech from teachers about school shootings and violence. Kids with trenchcoats were looked at disapprovingly. You just could not wear a trench anymore after that.

"Is evil something you are? Or is it something you do? My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape."
- American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis (1991)

Last edited by JayJay on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing    Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 1:47 pm

jettfyre80 wrote:
Yumeko-chan wrote:

Ahh ok. Everything before 2005 is a blur to me. lol

I second that! lol! 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing    Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2014 2:12 am

when im in the rain i wear a trenchcoat because it reminds me of a raincoat
Back to top Go down
mrc123

Contribution Points : 97967

PostSubject: Re: Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing    Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2014 10:39 pm

I just remembered that the 'rebel' character in 'The Breakfast Club' wore a trench coat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing    Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trenchcoats are not just a Columbine thing
Page 1 of 1