Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

North Hollywood Shootout (1997)

Go down 
+6
VOD101
philosopher_king
deathmedic
Koltin
Mj2beat
Falco
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Falco

Falco

Contribution Points : 85907
Forum Reputation : 70

North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Empty
PostSubject: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 1:53 am

Anyone else know about this? Well pretty much its was two robbers robbed a Bank Of America in North Hollywood (as the title suggests) they planned to steal from a money transit van, but when it never arrived they decided to rob the main bank. They had Type 56 assault rifles with drum magazines, which became overpowering compared to the police patrols little M9s. An officer spotted them pretty much a massive stand-off between them and a huge load of the LAPD officers, it all ended once they were shot a few times, one accidentally killed himself and the other bled to death. Surprisingly no officers or bystanders were killed. Just YouTube north Hollywood shoot-out for all the news helicopters actions, Very interesting read!

Contribution Points : 94329
Forum Reputation : 24

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 9:33 pm

I didnt know nothing about this case, it seems like one very interesting. I will look for some info about it.

The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 10:59 pm

That was the most briefest summery I could possibly give you. There is a load of information and videos, also a very "hollywoodised" movie which is pretty decent but tends to go overkill with rescue mission and they add a few extra characters here and there.

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 11:22 pm

Falcolus wrote:
That was the most briefest summery I could possibly give you. There is a load of information and videos, also a very "hollywoodised" movie which is pretty decent but tends to go overkill with rescue mission and they add a few extra characters here and there.

Yes I read something about the movie, it looks interesting so maybe I can look for it one of these days. There are also a couple of documentaries that I want to watch first.

The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 11:28 pm

The news helicopter footage is lengthy but provides good coverage (for 1997 at least) of the whole thing. I haven't seen any documentaries yet, maybe that's what I'll spend my afternoon doing.

Off Topic Moderator, Discord Admin & Top Contributor
Koltin

Contribution Points : 103836
Forum Reputation : 143

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 4:50 am

Both Gunmen at the bank.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
One of them
Their armor
One of the guns

Engel likes this post

Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 9:51 pm

Thanks for those pictures, Ive seen the last to but the security camera footage is great. Apparently their bullet riddled car has been sitting in a garage for the last 15 years, There are some good pics of it somewhere. Has anyone watched that movie I talked about? Cant remember what it was called, something like "37 Minutes".

Contribution Points : 101124
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 10:41 am

That is an AK-47 in the last pic.

Interesting thing about this robbery is that the police were so out gunned that they went to local gun shops to borrow some guns to match those.
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 7:09 pm

deathmedic wrote:
That is an AK-47 in the last pic.

Interesting thing about this robbery is that the police were so out gunned that they went to local gun shops to borrow some guns to match those.

Its actually a type 56 Chinese made copy of the AK-47, I don't think they ever used the guns the police got though.

philosopher_king

Contribution Points : 100597
Forum Reputation : 8

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 2:27 pm

I recently watched the zero hour episode from Netflix on that subject. They certainly didn't need to rob that bank as they had plenty of money from past robberies.
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 1:41 am

philosopher_king wrote:
I recently watched the zero hour episode from Netflix on that subject. They certainly didn't need to rob that bank as they had plenty of money from past robberies.

Yea! They got millions and got away with it, then the stole 300k and it cost them their lives. Probably would of spent it all on gambling or something.

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 9:26 am

philosopher_king wrote:

There is a zero hour episode about this? I will definitely look for it today.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2015 1:14 pm

Just putting this out there. Larry Phillips jr did not "accidentally" kill himself. There are speculations by the police that he may have tried to reload the weapon one handed, but honestly, when you look all that was going on, and the chaos that was going on around him at that moment. Is it really so hard to think that he just decided to shoot himself? All of this and the fact that he had made the statement that he would "Never be taken alive", I think it solidifies what I have already stated.
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 4:35 pm

THEWIDOWMAKER1776 wrote:
Just putting this out there. Larry Phillips jr did not "accidentally" kill himself. There are speculations by the police that he may have tried to reload the weapon one handed, but honestly, when you look all that was going on, and the chaos that was going on around him at that moment. Is it really so hard to think that he just decided  to shoot himself? All of this and the fact that he had made the statement that he would "Never be taken alive", I think it solidifies what I have already stated.

Yea that seems like the most likely reason. Even if he ran out of ammo or something he most likely would of been shot by the police.

VOD101

Contribution Points : 92751
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2015 5:18 pm

Ive read up and watched this, i believe they were somewhat inspired by the 1995 movie HEAT. I too think it was more of a suicide than accidental death you can see it on some of the videos on YouTube. Don't ask me what minute though its been a while since i read up about it.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119628
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2019 3:35 pm

This crime caught my attention recently, so I figured I'd go ahead and bump the thread.

Considering their extensive loadout and weaponry, I'm shocked nobody except the robbers themselves were killed in the act. Surely I'm not alone in wondering how severe the casualties would've been had the robbers been mass murderers instead. Certainly a scary thought.

According to this article, the pair might also be responsible for a robbery in Littleton, Colorado. Small world, right?

The movie 44 Minutes can be found here:

The Zero Hour episode can be found here:

Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 192899
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2019 3:47 pm

I lived in North Hollywood as well. Not during that time though

Top 10 Contributor
Primate Murder

Contribution Points : 63333
Forum Reputation : 446

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2019 3:58 pm

Imagine getting shot in the leg to death. That would have been one of the most embarrassing ways to die, especially if you have body armor and an OP gun.
Back to top Go down
Primate Murder
Top 10 Contributor
Primate Murder

Contribution Points : 63333
Forum Reputation : 446

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2019 4:05 pm

I watched the Zero Hour episode of this case. It was one of the most GTA moments in history. It reminds of me the Paleto Score mission from GTA 5.

Engel likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2019 12:13 am

Ah yes! I remember this. I was just talking about it like a month or two ago. I clearly remember watching it on tv and it felt like watching a movie. I was glued to the news. It was so amazing how two guys could just keep going despite being so outnumbered. Their arsenal was mind boggling. You’re so right, if they weren’t bank robbers they could’ve done a ton of damage being mass murderers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2020 10:28 pm

The Zero Hour episode reupload (uncut):

Back to top Go down
James411

Contribution Points : 84198
Forum Reputation : 89

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2020 1:40 pm

I watched the zero hour episode. It seems like they wanted a confrontation with the police because why would they carry all the body armor just to rob a bank.

And why would they not hire a get away driver. Another thing is it seems like the police let the second shooter bleed to death it took one hour for the paramedics to get there.

Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119628
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2020 2:02 pm

James411 wrote:
And why would they not hire a get away driver.

The more people you have involved in a criminal conspiracy, the more likely your plan will fail. And you have to part with more money.

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2020 4:06 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
James411 wrote:
And why would they not hire a get away driver.

The more people you have involved in a criminal conspiracy, the more likely your plan will fail. And you have to part with more money.

Plus the doc just also said they were LONERS. That they knew nobody else in the criminal underworld except for EACH OTHER. I doubt they probably knew how to contact or even find a getaway driver
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2020 4:07 pm

TheOne99 wrote:
The Zero Hour episode reupload (uncut):

Now that I think about it does anybody know what the difference is between the uncut and the cut version of these versions of the episodes?
Back to top Go down
James411

Contribution Points : 84198
Forum Reputation : 89

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2020 2:42 pm

I wish zero hour would make a comeback. The last season was in 2007. SO many events have happened. I would like to see zero hour episodes on

1. Las Vegas Shooting
2. Pulse night club
3.2015 Paris attacks
4. The 2015 Muslim couple who had the car chase with the police and tried to blow up their work place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: North Hollywood Shootout (1997)   North Hollywood Shootout (1997) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

North Hollywood Shootout (1997)
Page 1 of 1