Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Have you been to Columbine?

Go down 
+16
ThoughtBox
radaddio
boringguy
limpfisch
lio45
Wideawake
Falco
Jenn
Draw_It_White
WendlaBergman
Fatheroftwo
lasttrain
eli27
Archvile
LPorter101
20 posters
AuthorMessage
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 149209
Forum Reputation : 2629

Have you been to Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 10:12 pm

I haven't. I am curious, yes, but I would feel so awkward going there to gawk. But maybe one day I'll work up the nerve. (First I have to scrounge up the money for airfare.)

On the old boards, I chatted with some folks who did go there ... they all said that it was a lot smaller than it looked. One girl said that it was so lovely that, when she went there, she felt so angry at Eric and Dylan for wanting to destroy it.

Has anyone here been there?

Archvile

Archvile

Contribution Points : 79536
Forum Reputation : 18

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 10:26 pm

i've never been to it, but i'd love to travel to America and visit it someday.. now Frank DeAngelis is gone, i'd say this is your last chance to visit it before they completely change it, I know they will.. every year parts are changed and it's slowly going to look less like it did to the boys in the 90's.

I think the school looks futuristic, clean and all around beautiful.. my school was a complete dump, and that mountain view is heaven on Earth... so I see why she was angry!

side note:

any one seen this music video where the singer is inside CHS?
Back to top Go down
eli27

eli27

Contribution Points : 83382
Forum Reputation : 135

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 5:24 am

I would love to visit, but live in the UK and if anyone I knew found out it would be very awkward to say the least. I don't think I would, I would be too nervous and wouldn't know how to go about it.

Archvile

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 1:30 pm

eli27 wrote:
I would love to visit, but live in the UK and if anyone I knew found out it would be very awkward to say the least. I don't think I would, I would be too nervous and wouldn't know how to go about it.

the best thing to do would go with a group, if you know other researchers very well from the UK, you could all go together, i've seen some quite cheap hotels in Littleton, but there is also Denver which is usually a better choice, with buses and trains and a map to find the location, actually Columbine is a 7 minute drive to Eric's house, on a very straight road, it's also about a 30 minute walk, Dylan's house would be harder to get to though.

I have heard from a friend who is 19 and went inside CHS, I asked him how he got inside and he told me "it's a public school not a private school so it's not a problem" he walked in during the lunch break and with the 1000s of students, nobody knew that he wasn't a member of the school, he told me that most of the other students were scattered all around the building, some going out for off campus lunches or smoke so it wasn't unusual for people to be in and out of the cafeteria entrance leading to the parking lot, and once in the cafeteria with the crowds of students that he blended in with, he saw only the cafeteria and the halls, and told me he nearly had a heart attack from the experience of being inside there and it looked pretty much the same as it did back then that he knew the basic route from the videos Eric made inside, he also said that one of the halls above the cafeteria had nobody in it and it was haunting being alone and hearing the echoes of student's voices from other parts of the school, he then decided to leave, although he said he probably could have stayed longer without being caught. I don't know how much of this is true, he did take photos of the outside and other parts of Littleton, but not inside and I also wouldn't recommend this but I just wanted to share the story he told me.
Back to top Go down
lasttrain

Contribution Points : 101988
Forum Reputation : 74

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 2:59 pm

I visited Columbine in the summer of 2000, while construction was still underway. At first I just intended to drive by, but eventually I parked and then just walked into the school. It was completely empty.  I spent at least a couple of hours exploring the building.  It gave me a completely different understanding of the scale of the building. For example, the entrance to the library is very close to the stairs that lead down into the cafeteria. The north-facing west emergency exit, near where the deputies were standing, leads right into the library with just a couple of steps. Eric's car, where he talked to Brooks, was parked very close to the school.

The experience completely changed the way I viewed the tragedy, because I was literally in the same place, looking at the same sidewalks and lockers, barely a year had passed, and I could imagine it unfolding that much more clearly.  What struck me was not only how small it was, but also how new and nice everything seemed (I don't mean the parts that were under construction, but the facilities in general--it was a nice school).

This was part of a broader curiosity trip where I visited every key location in the case, except for Dylan's house.
Back to top Go down
Fatheroftwo

Contribution Points : 83063
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 6:35 pm

I live right by CHS, first visited this spring when I moved here.

As expected, it's a nice area & I thought the school was as large as expected & the grounds are deceivingly large due to the park (very nice amenities, countless high quality sports fields etc).

It's a busy place with the sporting fields drawing various levels of teams not affiliated to CHS.

The memorial is first class, I've been to the University of Texas & Kent State campuses.. Columbine has by far the classiest memorial I've seen for school shootings/tragedies.

The new library wing is very nice, I went up the steps & stood in E&D's parking spots, but did not attempt to enter the school.

Nothing can equal the wave of emotions I felt on my first visit, I've cried once since I was 14 & it was everything I could do to stop from breaking down as I read the memorials with my own HS aged son.

Return visits still have their effect, each visit stirs feelings that I have not felt in any other scenario.. especially when you stand in that parking lot near Dylan's space & look up to where the library windows were on 4/20.

Denver is such a beautiful city & great vacation spot that I would encourage everyone to budget time at some point to visit Columbine. While the CHS visit will hold a special moment for you, this area & specifically the Rockies are a wonderful destination for any traveler.

Frontier airlines, while not my favorite by a long shot, offers direct flights from many spots throughout the US & if you watch their website deals can be around $99-$149 round trip quite often.

If anyone is planning a visit plz PM me & I can share feedback on sight seeing hot spots, restaurants & lodging to your personal style.

It's God's country for sure.. another element on what makes E&D's NBK tragedy so compelling.. they had it far better than most in this world would ever know.
Back to top Go down
Fatheroftwo

Contribution Points : 83063

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 6:41 pm

If anyone has specific pic requests that google can't provide plz post or PM me.. within reason I could swing by & post within a week or so.

The internet likely has them all, but if not it wouldn't be anything for me to snap a few & post here. Excluding pics inside the school of course.
Back to top Go down
WendlaBergman

Contribution Points : 89799

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 11:24 pm

Someone I talked to on Tumblr posted pictures a while back of flowers they left on the gate of the Klebolds' house on the anniversary, and a bottle of Coke that said "Share a Coke with Dylan" (for any non-U.S. posters, Coca-Cola runs a gimmick during the summer in which single-serve 20 oz. bottles are sold with different names on them under the phrase "Share a Coke with" with the intention of people buying them for friends with those names).
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 12:01 am

WendlaBergman wrote:
Someone I talked to on Tumblr posted pictures a while back of flowers they left on the gate of the Klebolds' house on the anniversary, and a bottle of Coke that said "Share a Coke with Dylan" (for any non-U.S. posters, Coca-Cola runs a gimmick during the summer in which single-serve 20 oz. bottles are sold with different names on them under the phrase "Share a Coke with" with the intention of people buying them for friends with those names).

Coke does the same thing in Australia ... in fact, they started doing it there a few years before they started doing it here.

Archvile

Archvile

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 12:48 am

^ they do the same thing with Coke in Europe and Asia now too! really nice that someone did that, I hope his parents found it and were touched by it, remember he may be a monster to 99% of people, but to them he was their baby.

Thanks for the interesting stories you guys shared! I always thought the security would be super tight after the massacre, but it does seem like anyone can just walk in.. this reaally surprises me, I would really think Columbine would be the first school to have security with bag checkers, I.D cards to buzz each student in, armed officers on every gate, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I would love to see some 2015 photos of Eric's house if possible Smile
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 97793
Forum Reputation : 154

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 2:23 am

I've been thinking about visiting but the big thing holding me back is the fact I can't drive. I imagine getting to all the locations I'd want to visit would be a bit of a nightmare by foot/ bus/ taxi.

I'm actually due to be made redundant from work any time over the next six months so getting the time off isn't going to be a problem & I'll have the money to do it. It's a now or never type situation for me.

As Charles suggested above - if anyone else was thinking about visiting (UK or anywhere else for that matter - I'm sure there are plenty of costs to be saved on by meeting up) feel free to drop me a pm. I appreciate it's highly unlikely and maybe somewhat creepy to talk about a potential trip away with a weirdo off the Internet to visit the site off a shooting spree!
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 118575
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 3:03 am

WendlaBergman wrote:

A good gimmick at that. I can't tell you how much time and money I spent looking for and buying the names of all my family and friends. I've never been able to find 'Jenn' though so I had to settle for 'Jennifer'.

Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 97793
Forum Reputation : 154

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 3:47 am

We've had the coke can thing over here for a couple of years now.

Personally, I found it a little annoying when it first came out. Facebook just seemed to be full of girls posting pictures of their name on a can next to a can with their boyfriends name on.

As mentioned though, good marketing if it gets people buying it even if it's just to do that.
Back to top Go down

Contribution Points : 79206

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 4:29 pm

I would like to visit once, the main thing I would enjoy is driving the mountain roads Dylan took from his house.
Those roads up there in the mountains are spectacular. It’s so beautiful.
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Contribution Points : 86457
Forum Reputation : 70

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 2:10 am

CharlesWhitman wrote:
i've never been to it, but i'd love to travel to America and visit it someday.. now Frank DeAngelis is gone, i'd say this is your last chance to visit it before they completely change it, I know they will.. every year parts are changed and it's slowly going to look less like it did to the boys in the 90's.

I think the school looks futuristic, clean and all around beautiful.. my school was a complete dump, and that mountain view is heaven on Earth... so I see why she was angry!

side note:

any one seen this music video where the singer is inside CHS?

Bones! I love him, he is one of my favourite rappers, he dedicated a whole album to Columbine.

I have not been to Columbine, but I want to some day, I really think Colorado is a beautiful state.

Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 11:33 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by LPorter101 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Archvile

Archvile

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 1:08 pm

I had walked into a market and saw two bottle of Coke with Eric and Dylan's name side by side on a shelf. It was probably a coincidence, or maybe someone did it on purpose, but I doubt it as they are not known here.
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 1:10 pm

CharlesWhitman wrote:
I had walked into a market and saw two bottle of Coke with Eric and Dylan's name side by side on a shelf.

Snapshot or it didn't happen.

Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 118575
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 7:51 pm

Radioactive_Clothing wrote:
Facebook just seemed to be full of girls posting pictures of their name on a can next to a can with their boyfriends name on.
Guilty.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 11:22 am

I´m planning to visit columbine next year. probably alone.... but who cares.... it´s columbine. like CharlesWhitman said "this is your last chance to visit it before they completely change it" and that would definitely breaks my heart Sad
Back to top Go down
Wideawake

Wideawake

Contribution Points : 101601

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 4:56 pm

I would love to visit. I don't know that I would want to go alone, although I don't have anyone to go with. Maybe I would brave it if given the opportunity and go alone.
Back to top Go down
lio45

Contribution Points : 85441

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 10:46 pm

Never went. I've been to nearly all Lower 48 States, CO is one of the few I'm still missing.

I spent nearly two months this summer in the northern Texas panhandle for business and it struck me that I was much closer to Denver/Littleton than I normally am... almost did the round trip! Wasn't sure if the school would've been as accessible during the summer vacation, though?

Maybe next time. When are they remodeling it?

Back to top Go down
limpfisch

Contribution Points : 78466
Forum Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2015 7:30 am

Hey. Don't know if you've seen my post but I went to Columbine a few weeks ago. Feel free to ask any questions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 9:31 am

Fatheroftwo wrote:
I live right by CHS, first visited this spring when I moved here.

As expected, it's a nice area & I thought the school was as large as expected & the grounds are deceivingly large due to the park (very nice amenities, countless high quality sports fields etc).

It's a busy place with the sporting fields drawing various levels of teams not affiliated to CHS.  

The memorial is first class, I've been to the University of Texas & Kent State campuses.. Columbine has by far the classiest memorial I've seen for school shootings/tragedies.

The new library wing is very nice, I went up the steps & stood in E&D's parking spots, but did not attempt to enter the school.

Nothing can equal the wave of emotions I felt on my first visit, I've cried once since I was 14 & it was everything I could do to stop from breaking down as I read the memorials with my own HS aged son.

Return visits still have their effect, each visit stirs feelings that I have not felt in any other scenario..  especially when you stand in that parking lot near Dylan's space & look up to where the library windows were on 4/20.

Denver is such a beautiful city & great vacation spot that I would encourage everyone to budget time at some point to visit Columbine.  While the CHS visit will hold a special moment for you, this area & specifically the Rockies are a wonderful destination for any traveler.

Frontier airlines, while not my favorite by a long shot, offers direct flights from many spots throughout the US & if you watch their website deals can be around $99-$149 round trip quite often.

If anyone is planning a visit plz PM me & I can share feedback on sight seeing hot spots, restaurants & lodging to your personal style.

It's God's country for sure.. another element on what makes E&D's NBK tragedy so compelling..  they had it far better than most in this world would ever know.

I´m planning to visit Denver (and Columbine of course) in October next year. i´m new in this Forum and i can´t send pm yet because i haven´t reached the post limit. So maybe you could send me an email or pm. That would be awesome.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 3:51 pm

Fatheroftwo wrote:

Hey Fatheroftwo,
thank you for your quick reply and sorry for the late answer. so i tried to reply back with a pm but it still doesn´t work.

have you ever been to the rampart range? i would love to go there and to all the other famous places like erics and dylans house, the park where they recorded one of their videos, their workplace (even though it doesn´t exist anymore), the memorials... . and of course the school. is it really that difficult to get inside of the school? here in germany you can just walk in and no one would care about it.

so can you recommend some good lodging in littleton?
Back to top Go down
boringguy

boringguy

Contribution Points : 82485
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 6:05 pm

I want to visit littleton sometime. The only problem with that is the cost of plane tickets. If I ever end up going, i'm not going to miss out on the Rockies.

Last edited by boringguy on Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
WendlaBergman

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 6:46 pm

I want to travel to CO around Dylan's birthday and leave a flower, a card, and a Dr Pepper on the Klebolds' gate for it. I have no means to do it though.
Back to top Go down
radaddio

Contribution Points : 83215
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 4:56 pm

I've just checked it out on Google Earth.

I'm afraid that setting up a trip to go there would be crossing some internal boundary for me.
Back to top Go down

Contribution Points : 79206

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 5:36 pm

radaddio wrote:
I've just checked it out on Google Earth.

I'm afraid that setting up a trip to go there would be crossing some internal boundary for me.

Meaning?
Back to top Go down
radaddio

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 7:50 pm

I have a mild obsessive disorder that I use as a double edge sword, so to speak.

I've learned to manage it, and even use it to my advantage. I can create a sort of laser-focused ambition to finish a project or goal using it. I've taught myself how to do everything from Industrial Design, all the way to electronic music production, triathlon and everything in between. I'll even be using it to teach myself the piano very soon. For instance, I used this same disorder to propel me to the director of design at an orthopedics company that I helped establish.

The flip side to that is that the obsessive nature of my mind will latch onto random subjects or ideas. Nothing violent, or harmful mind you. But, I can tell when things are getting out of hand, and I need to try and reign it back in.

This was how I first came to the whole Columbine thing. So, if I were to ever make arrangements to go and physically be at or near the school, it would be a blaring klaxon warning for me to sort some stuff out.

But, that's just me. That doens't mean that anybody else that goes there has some kind of problem. Probably the opposite, since there are many people who still go there to this day.

Sorry to over share : )
Back to top Go down
ThoughtBox

ThoughtBox

Contribution Points : 83721
Forum Reputation : 13

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2015 10:57 am

I have thought about going to visit CHS, but for some reason have been holding back for the last several years since I caught the Columbine bug. I'm kind of afraid actually that I might fall further down the rabbit hole if I actually go there and see the school, the memorial, and some of the key sites involved. And I really don't want that to happen. It's taken up more time in my life and thoughts than it probably deserves, to be perfectly f--king honest. scratch

“Despair is the price one pays for self-awareness. Look deeply into life, and you'll always find despair.” -- Irvin D. Yalom, MD
Back to top Go down
FlyerFan

FlyerFan

Contribution Points : 76672
Forum Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 8:22 am

I would like to visit the memorial, not so much the school itself.
Back to top Go down
radaddio

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 10:10 am

A little after the shooting, there were entire tour buses showing up in front of CHS. It makes me wonder if there is still as much draw to it, since it's had time to become seemingly more infamous.
Back to top Go down
Violenta

Violenta

Contribution Points : 80137

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2015 10:11 am

I now live in Colorado, 2 hrs west of Littleton. I'm open to have visitors, if anyone seriously wants to go. I'm extremely familiar with the campus as a previous student. Just PM me, I'm not quite brave enough to go alone, and none of my acquaintances are interested.

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2015 5:09 pm

that's awesome! Would you be willing to go the the Denver Public Library and dig through the RMN archives there? I spoke with a journalist awhile back that said there were some decent unreleased pics of the shooting.
Back to top Go down
WendlaBergman

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2015 8:21 pm

I want to go there and try to find Dylan's ghost. Devon has said he afterlives (see what I did there? :p) in the auditorium or the school overall. Smile I'd try to speak to him and be nice to him.

cthulhu dislikes this post

Back to top Go down
Broken Angel

Contribution Points : 75963

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2015 12:07 am

Deleted

Last edited by Broken Angel on Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 122083
Forum Reputation : 1001

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2015 10:19 pm

I have never been to Columbine

sororityalpha likes this post

cthulhu dislikes this post

Back to top Go down
Violenta

Violenta

Contribution Points : 80137

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2015 10:49 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Absolutely! It shouldn't be too difficult if I know what I'm looking for.

PostSubject: Re: Have you been to Columbine?   Have you been to Columbine? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Have you been to Columbine?
Page 1 of 1