Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

So I did a research paper

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Yumeko-chan

Contribution Points : 105390
Forum Reputation : 102

So I did a research paper Empty
PostSubject: So I did a research paper   So I did a research paper Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2015 7:29 pm

It's not the first time I've used the shooting for a school assignment. First time was in 2002(-ish) for my public speaking class in community college =P

One of my classes is a beginning research class, and we had to do a correlative research project on a topic of our choosing. My research focused on this question: "Does proximity to school violence have long-term effects on mental health?" To put it bluntly, are kids who were in the library or cafeteria more messed up than the others? No research had been done on students this far out from a shooting, so I was curious. (I had to exclude myself from the study for obvious reasons; I also excluded faculty and those who were injured.)

I put together a survey on Survey Monkey, put out the word on a few support group boards focusing on shooting survivors, and waited. I had to throw out a lot of surveys because they didn't fill out the Trauma Screening Questionnaire which was part of the survey, but in the end I did have 26 that I could use. I asked questions about gender, what year of school they were in, where they were when it started, whether they knew anyone who was injured or killed, the TSQ, then an open-ended question where they could say how else the shooting has affected them that wasn't previously addressed in the survey.

Long story short, after crunching the numbers, I didn't see any correlation at all. Location in the school didn't seem to matter when it came to the current level of trauma they still face today. (Though, both me and my teacher agreed that actually having library survivors take the survey would've been a big help -- I had nobody from there participate. A larger sample would've helped, too.)

It just made me aware of just how much my classmates are still suffering today, speaking to the need for long-term counseling.
Back to top Go down
lasttrain

Contribution Points : 102213
Forum Reputation : 74

PostSubject: Re: So I did a research paper   So I did a research paper Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2015 11:16 pm

Very interesting study.

Was this only for Columbine survivors? Did any other library survivors respond to the study?
Back to top Go down
Yumeko-chan

PostSubject: Re: So I did a research paper   So I did a research paper Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2015 10:22 pm

It was only for Columbine survivors, and not a single library survivor took the survey.
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Contribution Points : 86682
Forum Reputation : 70

PostSubject: Re: So I did a research paper   So I did a research paper Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2015 3:50 am

Thats quite interesting. Did anyone reject the survey?

PostSubject: Re: So I did a research paper   So I did a research paper Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2015 2:39 am

I had to toss a lot because they'd fill out the demographic information but not the trauma survey questionnaire itself. Even though I made it clear that was what I needed =P Out of 47, I could only use 26.
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Contribution Points : 86682
Forum Reputation : 70

PostSubject: Re: So I did a research paper   So I did a research paper Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2015 7:38 am

Any reasons on why they didn't fill out the trauma? Just too hard or something like that?

PostSubject: Re: So I did a research paper   So I did a research paper Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So I did a research paper
Page 1 of 1