Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Harris family

Go down 
+5
shades
Kiwik
Lizpuff
Love
bradt93
9 posters
AuthorMessage
bradt93

Contribution Points : 91156
Forum Reputation : 255

The Harris family Empty
PostSubject: The Harris family   The Harris family Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2016 12:18 am

Sue Klebold at least gave an interview back in February with Diane Sawyer. Why isn't Wayne Harris or his wife speaking out like Sue Klebold did? Are they cowards, because I sort of think they are. They should let the world know what was wrong with Eric like Sue did with Dylan. Give the victims some closure about Eric too.
Back to top Go down
Love

Love

Contribution Points : 67766
Forum Reputation : 38

The Harris family Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Harris family   The Harris family Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2016 6:24 am

I think it's very hard for them. What it's like to be parents one of the most famous teenagers-murderers? What they have to say? Whether they satisfy someone's curiosity? Their son guilty of the death of 13 people (along with Dylan), and had planned to kill hundreds. He expressed no remorse to future victims neither in the diary nor in the basement tapes. He sent his revenge not only on their abusers, but on society as a whole, not caring that there will be innocent victims. He was making a bomb and had stored weapons right under the noses of parents, boasted that so cleverly deceived them. Many consider him a cunning psychopath who persuaded depressed and docile Dylan to go on a murderous rampage. Parents loved Eric and probably still love. Of course they blame themselves for their mistakes, they feel guilty for what their son did.
Sue's easier to talk about her son. He was depressed and, to some extent, this explains his actions. His diary is full of hearts and love agony, while the diary of Eric is full of anger and violent fantasies. After the tragedy many could not believe that Dylan could do anything. So good opinion about him from others. Susan still claims that on the basement tapes was not her darling Dylan. He was just trying to impress. Maybe she is of the opinion that the strange child Eric spoiled her son. Maybe she believes that Dylan was just a follower.
So what you want to hear from parents of Eric? It is unlikely that victims want to hear what a good child was little Eric. Who need more information about Eric's life? Fans, researchers or victims?
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96299
Forum Reputation : 1190

The Harris family Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Harris family   The Harris family Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2016 8:45 am

The Harris family is very different from the Klebolds. I think even Columbine aside they are just very private people. Their family issues stay behind their front door.

But they have it harder than the Klebolds in a sense too. Many people believe that Eric was the ringleader. That poor Dylan would have been a great kid had he not met Eric. His journals do not really help him at all. Who do people blame? They blame the parents. And even Sue herself alludes to it being Eric's influence that corrupted Dylan. I know if it were me I would not want to speak out. Does that make them cowards? To some it does. But not for me. I don't find them to be cowards. They are dealing with this very hurtful and horrible event in the way that they feel is best.
They lost their son. They loved him very much and no matter what he did on the 20, he was once the little infant they held and cared for. I cannot imagine the immense pain that comes along with what he did.

Kiwik

Kiwik

Contribution Points : 74301
Forum Reputation : 25

The Harris family Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Harris family   The Harris family Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2016 12:41 pm

I agree with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that the Harris family is very private. I know this has been discussed before, But they seemed to care very much about their reputation, and they appeared to want to portray the image of this cookie cutter, perfect all American family.  I don't think they knew any other way to handle what their son did other than to keep quiet and stay away from the media. Its possible that they even observed how the Klebolds handled it and how speaking out about how sweet their son was didn't seem to do any good or change people's opinions of him. Especially since more blame was put on Eric. I know initially they were worried about repercussions (legally and illegally) from the victims' families which probably encouraged their decision to stay silent. Personally I feel that their silence hasn't helped their reputation, if anything it made a lot of people suspicious that they were hiding something and gave the impression that they didn't love their son or would rather forget about him. Plus compared to Sue who went public about Dylan, wrote a book about him, did interviews and became an advocate for suicide prevention after the massacre, it kinda throws shade on the Harris family and makes them appear cold.
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

Contribution Points : 79861

The Harris family Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Harris family   The Harris family Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2016 12:58 pm

I think some people are curious as to why the Harrises don't speak on behalf of Eric well the way Sue does. But sue is also sentimental, a creative, a writer, she sugarcoats her words the way Dylan does, kinda like a songwriter. The Harrises are totally different people and especially for Wayne harris, would be so disappointed with what Eric did that they most likely felt there's nothing left to talk about. No point reminiscing about Eric they feel, in their minds.

It's too bad. I feel like Eric always wanted something like that. I doubt he doesn't have a soft side.

The Harris family Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Harris family   The Harris family Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2016 1:30 pm

shades wrote:
I think some people are curious as to why the Harrises don't speak on behalf of Eric well the way Sue does. But sue is also sentimental, a creative, a writer, she sugarcoats her words the way Dylan does, kinda like a songwriter. The Harrises are totally different people and especially for Wayne harris, would be so disappointed with what Eric did that they most likely felt there's nothing left to talk about. No point reminiscing about Eric they feel, in their minds.

It's too bad. I feel like Eric always wanted something like that. I doubt he doesn't have a soft side.
Has their ever been any indication that Eric was abused by his father or mother?
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

The Harris family Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Harris family   The Harris family Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2016 1:52 pm

bradt93 wrote:
Has their ever been any indication that Eric was abused by his father or mother?
No and I doubt so

Contribution Points : 102313
Forum Reputation : 74

The Harris family Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Harris family   The Harris family Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2016 6:30 pm

bradt93 wrote:
Sue Klebold at least gave an interview back in February with Diane Sawyer. Why isn't Wayne Harris or his wife speaking out like Sue Klebold did? Are they cowards, because I sort of think they are. They should let the world know what was wrong with Eric like Sue did with Dylan. Give the victims some closure about Eric too.

You are wrong. The Harris family has spoken to victims' families privately.

As far as speaking in public, the Harris family does not know "what was wrong with Eric." You need psychiatrists and criminal profilers for that.
Back to top Go down
aquillina

Contribution Points : 73498
Forum Reputation : 0

The Harris family Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Harris family   The Harris family Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2016 10:52 pm

I'm not sure about Katy and Wayne Harris. But I would love to hear from Kevin Harris. It's usually the older siblings that play the pinnacle rolls in teenage lives. At least that's what I believe in.

shades

The Harris family Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Harris family   The Harris family Icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2016 3:02 am

aquillina wrote:
I'm not sure about Katy and Wayne Harris. But I would love to hear from Kevin Harris. It's usually the older siblings that play the pinnacle rolls in teenage lives. At least that's what I believe in.

Pinnacle rolls? Kevin had been playing burrito for Eric throughout his years?

Amarantha

Contribution Points : 72597
Forum Reputation : 211

The Harris family Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Harris family   The Harris family Icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2016 3:36 am

bradt93 wrote:

Has there ever been any indication that Eric was abused by his father or mother?

Eric complained that his parents "weren't aware of some mistakes" they made back in time, though he shrugged it off as it was some typical teenage scuffle
Back to top Go down
bradt93

The Harris family Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Harris family   The Harris family Icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2016 6:07 am

Amarantha wrote:
bradt93 wrote:

Has there ever been any indication that Eric was abused by his father or mother?

Eric complained that his parents "weren't aware of some mistakes" they made back in time, though he shrugged it off as it was some typical teenage scuffle
If they were abusive of Eric, they deserved to be in prison. So, I hope they weren't that toward their own son.
Back to top Go down
Love

Love

Contribution Points : 67766

The Harris family Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Harris family   The Harris family Icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2016 9:33 am

bradt93 wrote:
Amarantha wrote:
bradt93 wrote:

If they were abusive of Eric, they deserved to be in prison. So, I hope they weren't that toward their own son.
In any case, Eric has punished them. They will suffer for the rest of their life...
Back to top Go down
Kiwik

Kiwik

Contribution Points : 74301
Forum Reputation : 25

The Harris family Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Harris family   The Harris family Icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2016 3:00 pm

I swear I read somewhere once that Kathy wanted to speak up about Eric and Wayne was the one who didn't think it was a good idea. I tried searching for this info and couldn't find it, so instead here are some old articles that contain interviews with people who knew the Harrises (and the Klebolds) and give some insight on what kind of people they were before the massacre. These articles are long and all of them rehash a lot of the same info about e&d and the shooting, but it seems people that knew the Harrises and lived in the same neighborhood described the family as being "quiet and private".

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Edit: I apologize if these articles have already been posted elswhere on the forum!
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 124184
Forum Reputation : 1001

The Harris family Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Harris family   The Harris family Icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2016 3:38 pm

There is also information from the neighborhood canvas in the 11K.

Pages 010248-010256
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Harris family Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Harris family   The Harris family Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Harris family
Page 1 of 1