Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career

Go down 
+7
sscc
suburbanmessiah
W.A.R.
STK
silentprocess
1Mare1
sororityalpha
11 posters
AuthorMessage
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 121538
Forum Reputation : 1001

Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career Empty
PostSubject: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career   Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 12:37 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

*Dylan actually did have a Marilyn Manson CD
Back to top Go down
1Mare1

1Mare1

Contribution Points : 60819
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career   Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 12:55 pm

He also had his car sticker, if I recall correctly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career   Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 12:57 pm

sororityalpha wrote:

*Dylan actually did have a Marilyn Manson CD

I think him saying that it destroyed his career is a bit much. MM has always been controversial, he became even more so after Columbine. I am sure he gained followers simply because he was always in the media regarding Columbine.

I have always liked MM, he was different and his music videos were always wild as hell. Plus people do not seem to realize that he is a very intellectual guy.
Back to top Go down
1Mare1

1Mare1

Contribution Points : 60819
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career   Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 12:59 pm

By the way, take CNN news articles with a grain of salt, they are not a fairly reliable source of information.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career   Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 1:00 pm

1Mare1 wrote:
By the way, take CNN news articles with a grain of salt, they are not a fairly reliable source of information.

AGREED! Haha
Back to top Go down
silentprocess

silentprocess

Contribution Points : 61334
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career   Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 1:21 pm

From what I remember he gained popularity because of the media attention. I had friends (back then) that picked up the album just cause they heard he "caused" Columbine lol.

I think he's a great musician and enjoy his music.

STK

Contribution Points : 72184
Forum Reputation : 328

PostSubject: Re: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career   Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 2:57 pm

1Mare1 wrote:
Seconded.

"If opportunities for role fulfilment fall far short of the demand by those capable of filling roles, and having expectations to do so, only violence and disruption of social organization can follow. Individuals born under these circumstances will be so out of touch with reality as to be incapable even of alienation. Their most complex behaviors will become fragmented. Acquisition, creation and utilization of ideas appropriate for life in a post-industrial cultural-conceptual-technological society will have been blocked."
- John B. Calhoun

"If I died thirsty, it wouldn't matter for me if it rains ever again"
- Abu Firas al-Hamdani
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 121538
Forum Reputation : 1001

PostSubject: Re: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career   Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 6:02 pm

Take ALL media information with a grain of salt.
Back to top Go down
W.A.R.

Contribution Points : 69573
Forum Reputation : 345

PostSubject: Re: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career   Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 9:24 pm

I wouldn't say it destroyed his career but i do think he was unfairly persecuted and it stigmatized his fanbase as being school shooters. The crazy part is E&D didn't even listen to MM like that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career   Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career Icon_minitimeSat Sep 23, 2017 3:31 am

deleted

Last edited by mordupen on Thu May 24, 2018 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
suburbanmessiah

suburbanmessiah

Contribution Points : 67953
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career   Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 7:02 pm

Hahahaha, Columbine destroyed your career? Riiiight, Mr. Manson--it has absolutely nothing to do with you releasing a bunch of shitty albums.

If you ask me, the whole thing probably invigorated his quickly diminishing influence and made some people sit up and take notice, as others before have already mentioned.

If anything, it made him 'dangerous' again.

Let's not forget how he directly profited from the massacre, with both 'Disposable Teens' and 'The Nobodies' being issued as singles.

Not to mention...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

PostSubject: Re: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career   Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 7:07 am

W.A.R. wrote:
I wouldn't say it destroyed his career but i do think he was unfairly persecuted and it stigmatized his fanbase as being school shooters. The crazy part is E&D didn't even listen to MM like that.

I agree with you on that. If you were a teen who listened to Manson, that alone was a red flag to a lot of people after Columbine. But the MM/Columbine connection also sparked a whole new trend of teens ONLY listening or wearing MM T-shirts, etc because they wanted to look dark and dangerous. Even if they didn't know anything about his music, or even listened to it before Columbine. Same with KMFDM and Rammstein.

In the entertainment industry, most think any publicity is good publicity. If you are in the news, then you are being talked about, people see you, hear your name. I am sure that MM did lose a good portion of his fan base, but it was replaced by others who wanted to fit the dark, Goth mold.
Back to top Go down
sscc

Contribution Points : 82271
Forum Reputation : 523

PostSubject: Re: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career   Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 6:03 pm

Manson was injured by a prop during a concert in the last couple of days and had to be taken out on a stretcher.

The prop was a display in the shape of a couple of gigantic handguns.

silent

Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 192899
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career   Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 8:19 pm

I bought a Rammstein Tshirt (the one EH had) and a spiked necklace after Columbine to scare the bullies away. I figured I had 2 months left in High School maybe people would leave me the hell alone. They didn't. I do like some KMFDM and Rammstein though and I read Atlas Shrugged because of Brooks Brown... sighs.

MM was a scapegoat that shouldn't have been. He had said he would have listened to them because no one else would. The thing is from what I gather from Eric and Dylan is, they weren't honest 99% of the time in their feelings. They seemed to have friends and have each other, so I doubt they'd tell some well meaning adult that they were planning a massacre and if someone would just tell them they were okay they wouldn't do it. Eric did say "maybe if I just got laid" who knows if that was true? Without Eric, would Dylan have backed out? If the girl he liked was like "Dylan, I really want to date you, I know we are going to college but dammit you're amazing, let's get coffee and really get to know each other" would that have changed?

PostSubject: Re: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career   Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career Icon_minitimeTue Oct 03, 2017 6:54 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
I bought a Rammstein Tshirt (the one EH had) and a spiked necklace after Columbine to scare the bullies away. I figured I had 2 months left in High School maybe people would leave me the hell alone. They didn't. I do like some KMFDM and Rammstein though and I read Atlas Shrugged because of Brooks Brown... sighs.

MM was a scapegoat that shouldn't have been. He had said he would have listened to them because no one else would. The thing is from what I gather from Eric and Dylan is, they weren't honest 99% of the time in their feelings. They seemed to have friends and have each other, so I doubt they'd tell some well meaning adult that they were planning a massacre and if someone would just tell them they were okay they wouldn't do it. Eric did say "maybe if I just got laid" who knows if that was true? Without Eric, would Dylan have backed out? If the girl he liked was like "Dylan, I really want to date you, I know we are  going to college but dammit you're amazing, let's get coffee and really get to know each other" would that have changed?

The 'what if's' of Columbine are endless. Who knows what may have transpired if just one tiny little thing happened or didn't happen at the right moment to either of them.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 192899
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career   Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career Icon_minitimeTue Oct 03, 2017 10:53 am

The possibilities are pretty incredible.

PostSubject: Re: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career   Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career Icon_minitimeTue Oct 03, 2017 3:57 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
The possibilities are pretty incredible.

Yes they are or were. Which only makes Columbine all the worse. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career   Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career Icon_minitimeTue Oct 03, 2017 8:08 pm

The public/media was desperate to find answers to why something like that would happen. So they were blaming anything they could get their hands on. TCM/Bullying/Video Games/Music. It may have hurt his career a year or two after the shooting due to parents not wanting their kids to listen to his music and become brainwashed. But at the end of the day. Money is money and if he made a hit song. It would have been played all over the radio just like any other hit.
Back to top Go down
Kiwik

Kiwik

Contribution Points : 73426

PostSubject: Re: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career   Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career Icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2017 6:09 pm

suburbanmessiah wrote:
Hahahaha, Columbine destroyed your career? Riiiight, Mr. Manson--it has absolutely nothing to do with you releasing a bunch of shitty albums.

If you ask me, the whole thing probably invigorated his quickly diminishing influence and made some people sit up and take notice, as others before have already mentioned.

If anything, it made him 'dangerous' again.

Let's not forget how he directly profited from the massacre, with both 'Disposable Teens' and 'The Nobodies' being issued as singles.

Not to mention...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I forgot about that painting! I always thought it was a pretty unflattering portrait of e&d haha

Kinda OT but a group of us freaky kids went to a MM concert a couple weeks before Columbine happened. From what I remember it was a decent show, but I was in the pit so most of my memories of it are focused on my experience in the pit haha
Back to top Go down
InsaneIntruder

InsaneIntruder

Contribution Points : 85078
Forum Reputation : 340

PostSubject: Re: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career   Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career Icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2017 5:01 am

No, the media's reaction to Columbine made some soccer moms angry at MM. Columbine itself didn't completely "destroy" his career. The media blamed him a lot for Columbine at some soccer moms threw temper tantrums but that's about it. He's still releasing music with quite a big fanbase. I wouldn't call his career "destroyed".
Back to top Go down
Moonshadow

Moonshadow

Contribution Points : 71131
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career   Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career Icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2017 12:05 pm

Yeah. As far as I know, Manson's career is far from destroyed. Period.
Back to top Go down
Kiwik

Kiwik

Contribution Points : 73426

PostSubject: Re: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career   Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career Icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2017 1:31 am

Here's an old Rolling Stone article from 1999 about Manson's feelings on Columbine, the media and being scapegoated:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career   Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career
Page 1 of 1