Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?

Go down 
+5
whyno
jada887
Screamingophelia
InsaneIntruder
Norwegian
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 78103
Forum Reputation : 304

What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?  Empty
PostSubject: What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?    What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2019 11:42 pm

Just asking questions.
Back to top Go down
InsaneIntruder

InsaneIntruder

Contribution Points : 85078
Forum Reputation : 340

PostSubject: Re: What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?    What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2019 9:04 am

I think this belongs in "Thoughts on the shooting". I also think there was a poll asking the same question.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 192899
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?    What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2019 10:01 am

This is true!

jada887

Contribution Points : 74778
Forum Reputation : 175

PostSubject: Re: What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?    What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?  Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2019 6:49 pm

Norwegian wrote:
Just asking questions.

Randy Brown states that the so-called Nixon tapes explain the motives for the shooting. Unfortunately, Mr. Brown wasn't able to elaborate on what was on the tapes, and I haven't found anything to corroborate it. So, we will have to take his word for it because the tape doesn't exist anymore. It's gone apparently.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?    What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?  Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2019 6:53 pm

The Nixon tape is only Eric, correct?

It may spell out why Eric wanted to do it, but what about Dylan? I think they may have had two different motivations and they just gelled together. I don't think either of them would have committed the massacre on their own.

I wonder too how much information we would have gotten from the Basement Tapes or if it was genuinely the two of them just acting like edgy, angry teenagers with guns.

jada887

PostSubject: Re: What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?    What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?  Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2019 10:00 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
The Nixon tape is only Eric, correct?

It may spell out why Eric wanted to do it, but what about Dylan? I think they may have had two different motivations and they just gelled together. I don't think either of them would have committed the massacre on their own.

I wonder too how much information we would have gotten from the Basement Tapes or if it was genuinely the two of them just acting like edgy, angry teenagers with guns.

Yes, I believe it is only Eric. However, Eric recorded this at 2:00 AM on the morning of April 20. However, Mr. Brown states that "they" spell out their motivations on this tape, and the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department destroyed it. I don't know if Mr. Brown listened to the tape himself, but he is convinced that JeffCo destroyed it to cover up the investigation. I don't know how he knows this because Kate Battan or Dwayne Fuselier never had access to the tape. So, the mystery continues.
Back to top Go down
whyno

whyno

Contribution Points : 67003
Forum Reputation : 50

PostSubject: Re: What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?    What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?  Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2019 10:33 pm

I didn't realize the Nixon tape was only Eric. That almost makes it more mysterious.

Hate to sound like a crazy conspirator, but I'd believe it if the tape would have explained things and JeffCo decided to get rid of it because it didn't fit the narrative they wanted.

Does anyone find it ironic how much work the boys put into these tapes and how much they wanted them blasted everywhere, but only a "handful" of people have even seen them? They wanted their motivations stated and their voices heard, but in the end they were silenced and ignored one last time.
Back to top Go down
gyro

Contribution Points : 51615
Forum Reputation : 28

PostSubject: Re: What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?    What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2019 12:00 am

whyno wrote:
Does anyone find it ironic how much work the boys put into these tapes and how much they wanted them blasted everywhere, but only a "handful" of people have even seen them? They wanted their motivations stated and their voices heard, but in the end they were silenced and ignored one last time.  

I guess it's Jeffco's way of saying 'we're not going to give them what they want' or 'we're not going to let killers talk and influence others'. Quite interesting that you brought this up because it's true. Their original plans didn't go to plan on the day or what they wanted after. "Don't think about arresting Mark Doe and Phillip Doe" etc. they both spent jail time either way. Also, it could be another subtle reminder that no matter what they said, or whatever is on those tapes are just by two crazy dudes who don't deserve any attention

Looks to me as if it was a final 'screw you, we won't give you what you want' but they still managed to influence in one way or another
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119628
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?    What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2019 1:26 pm

shadowofthewill wrote:
Their original plans didn't go to plan on the day or what they wanted after. "Don't think about arresting Mark Doe and Phillip Doe" etc. they both spent jail time either way.

They also said "don't blame our parents" but large swathes of people did that anyway. I wonder how they'd feel if they had lived to see the aftermath of their actions...

Guest83142

Contribution Points : 69573
Forum Reputation : 163

PostSubject: Re: What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?    What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2019 1:37 pm

Last edited by Guest83142 on Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?    What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2019 1:50 pm

Perfect storm.

Time period, the place, the culture, mental health issues, bullying/feeling alienated and their toxic friendship.

jada887

PostSubject: Re: What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?    What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2019 5:27 pm

shadowofthewill wrote:

Looks to me as if it was a final 'screw you, we won't give you what you want' but they still managed to influence in one way or another

I believe you're right on the money, shadow.

I don't understand Mr. Brown's position at all. What would JCSO have to gain by destroying the Nixon tape? Why would the victim's parents sue JCSO over what Eric said on the tape? There's no indication that JCSO destroyed the evidence because Eric of what he stated on the tape. Like I've said in other posts, I don't know where Mr. Brown is getting his information. It's similar to Mr. Brown's Amazon comment where he stated that Eric's father verbally abused him. He wouldn't elaborate, only stated that he uncovered this information "in the course of [his] investigation." I hope he's not lying, as his remarks are libelous.
Back to top Go down
cakeman

cakeman

Contribution Points : 79172
Forum Reputation : 1491

PostSubject: Re: What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?    What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2019 8:44 pm

The Nixon tape was a micro-cassette from Eric's paper on Singapore interviewing some Singapore-dude named Nixon. It was left on the Harris's kitchen table. So, it would surprise me if Dylan was on it at all.

Eric taped over it and three quotes from it have ever been made public:  "It is less than nine hours now" (making it be some time around 2:30 a.m., also doubt Dylan was there then), "People will die because of me" (not us) and "It will be a day that will be remembered forever". Cullen said Kate Battan assured him there was nothing else significant on it.  So, it would be odd if she had never heard it: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I also did not know it was destroyed, but that is not surprising.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?    What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do you think motivated the Columbine massacre?
Page 1 of 1