Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Would it still be shocking?

Go down 
+2
Lunkhead McGrath
Screamingophelia
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 195548
Forum Reputation : 1317

Would it still be shocking? Empty
PostSubject: Would it still be shocking?   Would it still be shocking? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 6:44 pm

Say the infamous Basements Tapes are still out there..and they are released or leaked.

I don't think they would be shocking now... just 2 kids trying to be shocking, acting goofy and mad and playing off of each other. With everything else going on in the world today, would the media even care about them after all of this time?

"Hey, here's a video of Eric Harris yelling"... more information at 11, stay tuned.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would it still be shocking?   Would it still be shocking? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 7:41 pm

You make a good point. But I still feel that it would make headlines, mainly because the tapes have been so sought after. 18 years later and the want/need factor to see them has hardly diminished.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Would it still be shocking?   Would it still be shocking? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 7:50 pm

I read a news article that 2 girls who lived relatively close to Littleton were plotting a bombing/shooting and referred to Eric Harris as a "God" they were sentenced over the summer. One of my first thoughts was "have you watched Eric in Columbine?" I mean... they were kids, messed up kids. Though pot calling the kettle black because I felt similarly when I was their age, never plotted a massacre though.

Was rampart range part of the "Basement Tapes"

There is such a mystique about them and Columbine in general. I do sometimes wonder if Eric and Dylan got caught if they would have women wanting to marry them and stuff like other infamous killers... or if we would all seen them as regular guys who did something stupid then they just faded away?

For how organized Eric was, you'd think he would have remembered to send the tapes to the news stations!

Contribution Points : 78861
Forum Reputation : 325

PostSubject: Re: Would it still be shocking?   Would it still be shocking? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 9:12 pm

People want the tapes because they've been denied them. Hey, I myself would be fascinated to see them and would watch them right away if they were available to me....even though I already know what's in them and would likely be disappointed because it is supposedly just two dicks sitting in a basement blabbering shit about who they'd like to kill.

It's because they're a legend that we want them. Hey, sometimes lost legends actually do come back and live up to their rep--Brian Wilson's lost Beach Boys magnum opus "SMiLe" from 1967 really was as great as it was supposed to be, y'know!!!

They would not be shocking to "Columbiners" viewing them today, in part because we know what's in them, and in part because this case has been done over with a fine tooth comb for 18 years like few of its contemporaries.

With the revival of huge 90s scandals/shock stories like the OJ Trial (successful miniseries and documentary), Waco (soon to be a big movie) and Tonya Harding (Margot Robbie movie coming soon) it will be interesting to see if a full blown fictionalization of Columbine ever finally happens (not the Rachel Scott movie) because Columbine is the most influential crime of the 1990s and it never really left.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Would it still be shocking?   Would it still be shocking? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 11:03 pm

It would probably be shocking too because of the language they threw around, we are in such a PC culture now and back then the words they used were thrown around a lot more at least where I grew up and I feel like it was the same way around Littleton.It was a different time.

I want to see Dylan's candy house... from his moms book he used to do origami, built with legos etc.. so I have a weird urge to see his damn candy house from the tapes. He was so proud of it he had to interrupt Eric's rant.

Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Would it still be shocking?   Would it still be shocking? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2017 12:27 am

I may be late to the game but speaking of Basement Tapes, has anyone seen the cover of the "Fly" CD Eric willed to Susan? Kind of foreshadowing?

InsaneIntruder

Contribution Points : 88103
Forum Reputation : 340

PostSubject: Re: Would it still be shocking?   Would it still be shocking? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2017 6:35 am

Probably not. Just some teens ranting about their definition of "natural selection" and how they hate things.
Back to top Go down
1Mare1

1Mare1

Contribution Points : 63844
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Would it still be shocking?   Would it still be shocking? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2017 10:39 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
I may be late to the game but speaking of Basement Tapes, has anyone seen the cover of the "Fly" CD Eric willed to Susan? Kind of foreshadowing?

It was intentional, cover depicts people running away.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would it still be shocking?   Would it still be shocking? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2017 10:49 am

Screamingophelia wrote:

Yeah, Eric liked all that foreshadowing shit.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Would it still be shocking?   Would it still be shocking? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2017 11:56 am

With work they could have probably been good film makers one day. Dylan was super theatrical and they could have made some cool stuff.

goodbyeversailles

Contribution Points : 62168
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Would it still be shocking?   Would it still be shocking? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 07, 2017 2:20 am

I don't think it would be SHOCKING, but it would get attention. People have been wanting these tapes since they found out they exist (existed?). I think the main thing they are worried about at this point is people idolizing Eric and Dylan more than they already do, which I can see validity in, but I think they would benefit from showing the boys being a bit more emotional. Personally, I would really like to see the tape of Eric in his car where he cries a little, I think that would humanize him more. For me, I think the main reason people get inspired by these boys is because of the way they portrayed themselves (especially Eric), and in wanting to be seen as 'godlike' they took their anger and rage and spun it for an audience. It's harder to view someone like that when you see them vulnerable.
Back to top Go down
TheSpiral

TheSpiral

Contribution Points : 77139
Forum Reputation : 63

PostSubject: Re: Would it still be shocking?   Would it still be shocking? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 07, 2017 8:30 am

It wouldn't be shocking.
I never really understood the big fuss over the basement tapes. I'd rather have the full 911 call and the crime scene photos released than the basement tapes.
The fact that they're so forbidden is what attracts many people.
The Columbine craze died down over the years and I think it would only catch wind with the columbiner crowd.

Now everybody dancing, the dance of the dead
The dance of the dead, the dance of the dead
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would it still be shocking?   Would it still be shocking? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 07, 2017 10:43 am

TheSpiral wrote:
It wouldn't be shocking.
I never really understood the big fuss over the basement tapes. I'd rather have the full 911 call and the crime scene photos released than the basement tapes.
The fact that they're so forbidden is what attracts many people.
The Columbine craze died down over the years and I think it would only catch wind with the columbiner crowd.

I would love to hear the full 911 call as well!
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Would it still be shocking?   Would it still be shocking? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 07, 2017 1:47 pm

Could the rest of the 911 call get worse than the extension we had, with Val screaming? Sad

To be honest I JUST heard Eric and Dylan in the background recently, I'm partially deaf in one ear so it may dilute the horror a little bit.. not being able to hear.

1Mare1

Contribution Points : 63844
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Would it still be shocking?   Would it still be shocking? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 07, 2017 1:54 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
Could the rest of the 911 call get worse than the extension we had, with Val screaming? Sad

To be honest I JUST heard Eric and Dylan in the background recently, I'm partially deaf in one ear so it may dilute the horror a little bit.. not being able to hear.

Some voices are actually other operators, people confuse them with Eric and Dylan.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Would it still be shocking?   Would it still be shocking? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 07, 2017 2:08 pm

I only conclusively heard Eric yell "Woo hoo" and Dylan's "Everybody Up!" and then a slight "peek a boo" and "ha ha ha" but I still can't tell if I'm actually hearing it or reading the subtitles and it's my brain imagining what it would sound like, if that makes sense.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would it still be shocking?   Would it still be shocking? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 07, 2017 4:59 pm

deleted

Last edited by mordupen on Fri May 25, 2018 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Would it still be shocking?   Would it still be shocking? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 07, 2017 5:02 pm

Thank you mordupen. It's interesting how the more you read the captions where it says "peek a boo" the more you can convince yourself that you heard it.

PostSubject: Re: Would it still be shocking?   Would it still be shocking? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 07, 2017 6:54 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
Thank you mordupen. It's interesting how the more you read the captions where it says "peek a boo" the more you can convince yourself that you heard it.

This is why I don't put much stock in the transcripts. It is so easy to make yourself hear the words you are reading.
Back to top Go down
Lunkhead McGrath

Contribution Points : 78861
Forum Reputation : 325

PostSubject: bluh   Would it still be shocking? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 01, 2017 8:40 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:

This is why I don't put much stock in the transcripts. It is so easy to make yourself hear the words you are reading.

Definitely seconded...I've listened to them several times and I cannot make out anything other than "GET UP!" and what I think is "EVERYBODY GET UP!" Some of the "words" people are hearing are bits of static and stuff or people in the 911 dispatch place or something!
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Would it still be shocking?   Would it still be shocking? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 01, 2017 8:43 pm

The "hey boy" part that Eric supposedly said was CLEARLY someone in the dispatch office.

InsaneIntruder

Contribution Points : 88103
Forum Reputation : 340

PostSubject: Re: Would it still be shocking?   Would it still be shocking? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 01, 2017 9:45 pm

If you hear Eric or Dylan say something in the call, close your eyes and listen to it again without looking at the captions. This also works with those "illuminati backwards messages in songs" videos.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would it still be shocking?   Would it still be shocking? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 02, 2017 8:42 am

Lunkhead McGrath wrote:
Definitely seconded...I've listened to them several times and I cannot make out anything other than "GET UP!" and what I think is "EVERYBODY GET UP!"  Some of the "words" people are hearing are bits of static and stuff or people in the 911 dispatch place or something!  

I honestly think I have somewhat damaged my hearing, while trying to turn up the volume on the 911 call as loud as I could to try to catch what was being said.

I can hear some things clearly, but other things that people say they hear eludes me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would it still be shocking?   Would it still be shocking? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Would it still be shocking?
Page 1 of 1