Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?

Go down 
+12
Jaymie
SandraSmit19
LevtinAlex
Acid84
MellonCollie
Wumselito
spinvault
TheSpiral
munchkinphone
Littlelo
Juicy Jazzy
Screamingophelia
16 posters
AuthorMessage

Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Empty
PostSubject: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 12:52 am

I used to own a copy of A Mother's Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy, the book that was written by Dylan's mother published in 2014 I think. It journeys the entirety of Dylan's life from beginning to end. Anyone else read it? I thought it was beautiful and Sue Klebold sure has a colourful vocabulary in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193232
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 1:07 am

Yes! There are a lot of discussion threads about it from when it first came out. There are a few things she writes about that happened to patent. The website thing for starters. Dylan didn't get Brooks the website address.

She does use a lot of colorful imagery. It probably comes from her being an artist.

It's up there for me along with Jeff Klass's book and Brooks Browns book

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 5:14 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] cool cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 5:31 am

I have read it several times, and I consider Sue's book required reading when researching Columbine.
Back to top Go down
Juicy Jazzy

Juicy Jazzy

Contribution Points : 98544
Forum Reputation : 21

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 5:33 am

I read it twice last year and once this year so far.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

Contribution Points : 66503
Forum Reputation : 90

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 8:47 am

I've read it twice so far but I know I will read it again. There is a lot of *credible* info in it and a lot of things to change your perspective.
Back to top Go down
munchkinphone

Contribution Points : 63839
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 10:45 am

I've read it once and I cried like 3 times.. and I thought I was a coldhearted bitch. confused Soft af
Back to top Go down
TheSpiral

TheSpiral

Contribution Points : 74864
Forum Reputation : 63

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 12:21 pm

I've had it since last year.
Never read it though. I've read Columbine and No Easy Answeres, but this book just can't seem to hold me all the way through.
I've read the first part, about the day it happened but that's about it. I find the book mundane, especially the parts about Dylan's early childhood.

Now everybody dancing, the dance of the dead
The dance of the dead, the dance of the dead
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 1:02 pm

I listened to Sue's reading of the audiobook. I was listening to the chapter on Dylan's funeral before I went to yoga and I was crying. My friends asked me if I was OK lol

spinvault

Contribution Points : 73328

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 4:48 pm

I have read it a couple of times completely and have several parts bookmarked and return many times to reread those sections.
Back to top Go down
Wumselito

Wumselito

Contribution Points : 64674

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2017 12:52 pm

I've read it once and have listened to the audiobook (read by Sue herself!) a couple times since.
So obviously I like it a lot because it gives us a unique, intimidate perspective on Dylan that I would never have dreamt of getting.
But I'm a bit annoyed at Sue buying into Dave Cullen. She's saying she isn't trying to "excuse" Dylan's involvement or make it seem any less severe but at the same time she pretty much blames it all on Eric. Although at the same time I can't blame her, as his mother, for doing so.

Screamingophelia wrote:
Yes! There are a lot of discussion threads about it from when it first came out.  There are a few things she writes about that happened to patent. The website thing for starters. Dylan didn't get Brooks the website address.

She does use a lot of colorful imagery. It probably comes from her being an artist.

I didn't like it at all. Yeah, I enjoyed the extra information about Eric and Dylan and on the school climate in general, but with Brooks I can never tell what's the truth and what's a fabrication of his imagination.
I can't stand the Brown's as a whole. They seem so self-centered and nosy looking to seem important/the center of attention at all costs.
Like assuming E&D were in serious trouble with the police just because of Eric's website... And why would they assume Dylan was in trouble because of threats he didn't make? And get himself into trouble by telling brooks about it in the first place? Completely stupid and doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

Contribution Points : 66503
Forum Reputation : 90

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2017 1:47 pm

I forget what Brooks' rationalization was for Dylan also getting into trouble, but I can say that after re-reading his account of that period, I don't believe it. It's easy to make things fit your narrative in retrospect. Especially since E&D are both long gone.

I believe some of what Brooks says, but I agree it's hard to believe anything 100% unless there is evidence.

I also dislike that the Browns say they tried following up with the officer multiple times...if I thought my kids life was in danger, I wouldn't stop calling until I got an answer.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2017 4:08 pm

Wumselito wrote:
I've read it once and have listened to the audiobook (read by Sue herself!) a couple times since.
So obviously I like it a lot because it gives us a unique, intimidate perspective on Dylan that I would never have dreamt of getting.
But I'm a bit annoyed at Sue buying into Dave Cullen. She's saying she isn't trying to "excuse" Dylan's involvement or make it seem any less severe but at the same time she pretty much blames it all on Eric. Although at the same time I can't blame her, as his mother, for doing so.

Screamingophelia wrote:
Yes! There are a lot of discussion threads about it from when it first came out.  There are a few things she writes about that happened to patent. The website thing for starters. Dylan didn't get Brooks the website address.

I didn't like it at all. Yeah, I enjoyed the extra information about Eric and Dylan and on the school climate in general, but with Brooks I can never tell what's the truth and what's a fabrication of his imagination.
I can't stand the Brown's as a whole. They seem so self-centered and nosy looking to seem important/the center of attention at all costs.
Like assuming E&D were in serious trouble with the police just because of Eric's website... And why would they assume Dylan was in trouble because of threats he didn't make? And get himself into trouble by telling brooks about it in the first place? Completely stupid and doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

That is something I never understood either about Brooks. Why would Dylan be in trouble for the website he didn't do anything regarding that. The thing I could think of was the rebel missions but Zach would've gotten in trouble too for those!
Back to top Go down
MellonCollie

MellonCollie

Contribution Points : 58589

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 30, 2017 9:52 pm

I haven't read it yet, but I really want to.
Back to top Go down
Acid84

Acid84

Contribution Points : 68404
Forum Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 01, 2017 5:04 am

Guys, I have read Brooks book and unfortunately I sat through Cullens (hours of my life I wont get back)
My question is this, from the reasearch and numerous articles/topics/forums etc I have read regarding the subject and interactions with members here and elsewhere including the interactions with forum members here that attended the school.

Am I likely to learn anything new from this book? or is it more to paint a picture of Dylans life pre tragedy etc? Basically is it worth me reading when I have lots of other books I havent bothered with as of yet? Smile

Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 01, 2017 6:16 am

Acid84 wrote:
Guys, I have read Brooks book and unfortunately I sat through Cullens (hours of my life I wont get back)
My question is this, from the reasearch and numerous articles/topics/forums etc I have read regarding the subject and interactions with members here and elsewhere including the interactions with forum members here that attended the school.

Am I likely to learn anything new from this book? or is it more to paint a picture of Dylans life pre tragedy etc? Basically is it worth me reading when I have lots of other books I havent bothered with as of yet? Smile

Thanks in advance

In my opinion it is a good book. This is first hand info directly from someone who was involved, as she was Dylan's mom and was there before, during and after Columbine.

Yes, Sue does try to tell you what Dylan's early life was like, and she does seem to try to lessen his responsibility a bit. But its expected as she was his mother. All in all still worth the read. Smile
Back to top Go down
Acid84

Acid84

Contribution Points : 68404
Forum Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 01, 2017 6:17 am

Thanks alot for that I will download it then Smile
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 01, 2017 7:15 am

I agree with ShadowedGoddess.

There are a couple facts that are incorrect, mainly Dylan giving Brooks Eric's website but that's not a big deal at all.

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 01, 2017 7:19 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
I agree with ShadowedGoddess.

There are a couple facts that are incorrect, mainly Dylan giving Brooks Eric's website but that's not a big deal at all.

I wonder if that sort of incorrect info in her book was mainly due to Sue relying on Cullen as her fact checker?! scratch
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 01, 2017 7:46 am

More than likely yes.

Also I'm sure hearing that Dylan let people go and warned Brooks gave her comfort in knowing Dylan's humanity was still there. Even if it's not true or highly debated, I'm sure she wants to believe it for her own sanity so to speak.

Contribution Points : 63839

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 01, 2017 8:08 am

I wonder what makes her want to take the path of believing his humanity was still there rather than acting as if he vanished with his depression, thus forming a "new Dylan" that was capable of those evil acts. I feel like that would be a copingstrategy people would normally use in her situation.

I think it honers her to not use his declining mental health as a way to distance herself from him in that way. It shows integrity

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 6:47 pm

it was a relly good book
Back to top Go down
LevtinAlex

LevtinAlex

Contribution Points : 51575
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2018 9:46 pm

I read and decided that I would even buy this book.

SandraSmit19

Contribution Points : 103044
Forum Reputation : 235

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2018 10:12 am

One of the many things reading Sue Klebold's book has taught me is that you don't know real stress until something like this happens. We all think we know what it means to be stressed but real stress, real trauma, messes you up in every way. She describes her digestive problems, her sleeping problems, her inability to simply function even years after the shooting. That's very different from feeling a little down because things aren't going your way. It humbled me, I can tell you. I don't think I'll be complaining quite so much about how stressed I am in future.

Jaymie

Contribution Points : 42813
Forum Reputation : 275

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2019 6:14 am

This is the german edition. I have read it several times

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SandraSmit19

SandraSmit19

Contribution Points : 103044
Forum Reputation : 235

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2019 10:18 am

Jaymie wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong (please do) but the literal translation of amokläufer is running amok, if you separate the words that's what it translates to anyway. Is that what they consider mass murder in Germany? 'Running amok?' Seems like a pretty mild description.

Jaymie

Contribution Points : 42813
Forum Reputation : 275

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2019 10:37 am

SandraSmit19 wrote:
Jaymie wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong (please do) but the literal translation of amokläufer is running amok, if you separate the words that's what it translates to anyway. Is that what they consider mass murder in Germany? 'Running amok?' Seems like a pretty mild description.

The german word for killing spree is "Amoklauf". And "Amokläufer" is a gunman. It is sometimes difficult to translate
Back to top Go down
Sane One

Contribution Points : 84848

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2019 7:16 pm

She is a strong woman. Let's face it. 99% of mothers in this entire world never have to live with something quite like what one of her sons did. She remains strong and tries her best to help others by going to different schools even today.

For the most part I believe the Harris's knew how dangerous Eric was and that's why we never heard a peep from them. Hardly a peep. Dylan I believe was caught between both worlds more than Eric so I can understand Sue's view.

Even if Eric didnt follow through on 4 20 99, the guy had intentions to do some heinous stuff. Maybe even pull a 9 11 before Osama did. That's how bad this kid was. He used his intelligence for destruction.
Back to top Go down
bradt93

Contribution Points : 91031
Forum Reputation : 255

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2019 12:05 am

I think Eric had low self esteem too, because he was rejected by the army.

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2019 8:19 pm

No but I'm thinking of it.
Back to top Go down
thelmar

thelmar

Contribution Points : 82757
Forum Reputation : 3068

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2019 10:56 pm

bradt93 wrote:
I think Eric had low self esteem too, because he was rejected by the army.

I'm not sure if there is an undercurrent of sarcasm there. If so, my apologies for the info I'm about to dump on you. But in case you aren't aware, it was the Marines, not the army and Harris didn't know that he'd been rejected. Also, he was not serious about joining. The recruiter contacted and pursued Eric and Eric just kept putting him off saying he wanted to think about it. He was too far into planning the attack and intended to die during it. During the time that he was having these meetings with the recruiter, he made the Basement Tape in which he said it was weird knowing he'd be dead in 2 and 1/2 weeks. Harris likely only entertained the recruiters' "advances" because it kept his parents off of his back about his plans after graduation. The recruiter said he called Eric on either Friday or Saturday (4/16 or 4/17/99) and left a message asking him to call back. He did not tell him that he was disqualified from enlistment.
I agree Eric had low self esteem, but the rejection from the Marines had nothing to do with it.
Back to top Go down
bradt93

Contribution Points : 91031
Forum Reputation : 255

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2019 8:30 pm

Sorry, Marines. I had a family tragedy so it's been a rough few weeks for me.

thelmar

Contribution Points : 82757
Forum Reputation : 3068

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2019 9:40 pm

bradt93 wrote:
Sorry, Marines.  I had a family tragedy so it's been a rough few weeks for me.

I'm really sorry to hear that, man. I hope things settle down for you soon and that you have people around you to support and help you through it.
Back to top Go down
Sane One

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2019 10:54 am

Eric always had interest in the military. Most likely from his father but he always talked to people at school about the different types. If he really had serious intentions of joining, who knows. He was so intelligent but had no intentions on living normal in society. It all started out most likely as a joke but slowly became reality because his core negative beliefs took over and what him and Dylan went through added fuel to the fire.

Back than, the social ladder was way more extreme. Internet was just coming into it's own. Today a guy with rainbow hair and plays with teenage girls with a million tattoos with the number 69 can be the hottest selling rap artist even after doing time because that's the world we live in today. We all have the freedom to do whatever we want but know there are always consequences to your evil and negative choices.
Back to top Go down
Sane One

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2019 11:22 am

Columbine will always be the go to and catalyst for school shootings and big shootings in general because it took place during a time period where they rarely happened and rarely played out on television.

The irony is today the issues they went through, kids and people really dont go through anymore. There was some method to their madness and real issues on display at Columbine that were hardly ever addressed. Now everybody is just depressed and whacked out. Not like there is ever justification for murder but there is completely no substance to Cruz or Vegas shooter or James Holmes. There is nothing there but hopelessness, anger for whatever reason and boredom.
Back to top Go down
Butterbean

Contribution Points : 43910

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2019 9:57 pm

I read it a few weeks ago and thought it was very good and very touching. I agree with the poster who said it puts stressful events into perspective. I admire Sue for putting herself out there like this. Her book demonstrates just how deceptive Dylan was with everyone except Eric. I thought I’d find answers in it but I didn’t. Sue presents some evidence and expert opinions he was very mentally ill and not really in control of himself in those last months. I’m not convinced of that, but I’m not convinced of other reasons either. Dylan is still a mystery. Brooks was right. There are no easy answers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?
Page 1 of 1