Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dylan's humor

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193232
Forum Reputation : 1317

Dylan's humor Empty
PostSubject: Dylan's humor   Dylan's humor Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2017 8:53 pm

I came across a thread here called "Eric the Comedian"

I was thinking also about Dylan's sense of humor too. It was pretty different than Eric's but I don't think we have a lot of examples of his humor. He and Robyn were pretending to light each other on fire, Dylan's mom and Nate said he cracked them up with dry asides, Devon said he had a really dark sense of humor and about things "no one should joke about" that makes me wonder what things he would joke about.

Then we have Brooks who says he was NOT funny. Just painfully awkward in the worst way possible. No charm or personality (this was from his AMA on Reddit)

He was able to laugh at himself when he screwed up in HFH but then in the theatre video when he was dusted as a "joke" he got very angry. So I think one was able to joke around with him if you knew him, but if not, back off. I'm not sure if he opened himself up more if he would have felt more accepted, or if he even cared. He happily roasted Brooks in the Frankenstein video.

His diversion counselor said "Kind of goofy with an odd sense of humor, he makes me laugh"

I just thought it would be interesting to talk about. I always wondered what the things (death and other things you shouldn't joke about) were... were they so dark that people who didn't know him were really freaked out by it?

Last edited by Screamingophelia on Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SandraSmit19

SandraSmit19

Contribution Points : 103044
Forum Reputation : 235

Dylan's humor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's humor   Dylan's humor Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2017 9:02 pm

I think it's odd that Brooks would say that. Not that it can't be true, just that the Browns have always been so quick to defend Dylan and villify Eric, it's strange that Brooks would then say those things about him. Of course, it has been years so perhaps the urge to defend Dylan is gone, but we'll never really know if what he says is true.
From what little we have seen ourselves, I think Dylan had a sense of humor. I think his depression (because yes, he really was depressed) made his humor a little darker, maybe, but I think it was there. He wouldn't have had any friends if he truly had no charm or personality.

Screamingophelia

Dylan's humor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's humor   Dylan's humor Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2017 9:05 pm

SandraSmit19 wrote:
I think it's odd that Brooks would say that. Not that it can't be true, just that the Browns have always been so quick to defend Dylan and villify Eric, it's strange that Brooks would then say those things about him. Of course, it has been years so perhaps the urge to defend Dylan is gone, but we'll never really know if what he says is true.
From what little we have seen ourselves, I think Dylan had a sense of humor. I think his depression (because yes, he really was depressed) made his humor a little darker, maybe, but I think it was there. He wouldn't have had any friends if he truly had no charm or personality.

I agree, I wonder if Brooks said that to dissuade all the "love' E and D seem to get from people who think they were charming and nice.

The thing is to a lot of people they knew, they were, which is why they were able to hide their plan for nearly a year. Give or take.. I think they were planning for a little of a year.

Dylan may have joked about killing himself to see if anyone would take him seriously.

Back to top Go down
SandraSmit19

SandraSmit19

Contribution Points : 103044
Forum Reputation : 235

Dylan's humor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's humor   Dylan's humor Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2017 9:11 pm

It would make sense. There are so many fangirls (tumblr is a disease, I swear) that 'love' Eric and Dylan, thinking they are so cool and handsome and what have you... Maybe they were cool in a way, I don't think they were unattractive, but losing focus of what they have done is just wrong. Maybe Brooks was, as you say, trying to dissuade all of that. Though, good luck with that one after all these years.

And Dylan joking about killing himself is a real possibility. I doubt any of his friends would have taken him seriously. High school can be a literal hell for some people and comments like those are not uncommon. Same as comments about shooting up a school are not uncommon. Nobody takes it seriously (not in 1999 anyway).
Although, I don't think Dylan would have made those jokes to his mother. She wouldn't have found it very amusing, I'm sure. Crying

spidEr

Contribution Points : 69576
Forum Reputation : 145

Dylan's humor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's humor   Dylan's humor Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2017 9:54 pm

Dylan's humor came off as more sarcasm, like when the woman asked if they wanted salt or pepper on their order and he responded "Salt and pepper?" as he thought it would be strange to add that on the cinaminis, and went onto the say the famous "Yeah I want ketchup on my cinaminis" line, it was a joke but it did come out as sarcastic.

When they were filming the serious Tarantino shot of opening up the trunk of the car in Radioactive Clothes, he turned it into a funny moment by waving and making a silly noise. He also came up with the idea to throw the dart at the t-shirt which he was cracking up to.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

Dylan's humor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's humor   Dylan's humor Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2017 10:16 pm

spidEr wrote:
Dylan's humor came off as more sarcasm, like when the woman asked if they wanted salt or pepper on their order and he responded "Salt and pepper?" as he thought it would be strange to add that on the cinaminis, and went onto the say the famous "Yeah I want ketchup on my cinaminis" line, it was a joke but it did come out as sarcastic.

When they were filming the serious Tarantino shot of opening up the trunk of the car in Radioactive Clothes, he turned it into a funny moment by waving and making a silly noise. He also came up with the idea to throw the dart at the t-shirt which he was cracking up to.

That was 24 hours before..

I liked the dart thing in RC. How else are you going to stop a blood thirsty shirt?
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

Contribution Points : 66503
Forum Reputation : 90

Dylan's humor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's humor   Dylan's humor Icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2017 9:37 am

I agree that Brooks wanted to characterize E&D as not funny because he didn't like seeing people admire them after what they did.

Dylan's humor or sarcasm probably went over people's heads a lot of the time. I do remember Sue mentioning his "dry asides" in AMR. After his death she tried to write down all the inside jokes and stories that the four of them had shared so she would not forget them. I think the Klebolds probably shared a lot of laughter when the boys were growing up.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

Dylan's humor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's humor   Dylan's humor Icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2017 11:49 am

Littlelo wrote:
I agree that Brooks wanted to characterize E&D as not funny because he didn't like seeing people admire them after what they did.

Dylan's humor or sarcasm probably went over people's heads a lot of the time. I do remember Sue mentioning his "dry asides" in AMR. After his death she tried to write down all the inside jokes and stories that the four of them had shared so she would not forget them. I think the Klebolds probably shared a lot of laughter when the boys were growing up.

There is that 1% of people that ruin it for the rest of us Sad

Sometimes sarcasm can come off as rude to some people without humor....

LOL
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

Contribution Points : 66503
Forum Reputation : 90

Dylan's humor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's humor   Dylan's humor Icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2017 11:53 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
Littlelo wrote:

LOL

I'd bet that was the case with Dylan..people weren't sure if he was kidding or being a jerk.

I started delving back into AMR yesterday. My heart breaks all over again reading what Sue went through.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

Dylan's humor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's humor   Dylan's humor Icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2017 12:20 pm

Littlelo wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
Littlelo wrote:

LOL

I'd bet that was the case with Dylan..people weren't sure if he was kidding or being a jerk.

I started delving back into AMR yesterday. My heart breaks all over again reading what Sue went through.

I've read it twice, there were parts that I missed the first time!

I definitely feel like Dylan and I had a very similar sense of humor. I know people say that but I'm very Morose and very dry.
Back to top Go down

Dylan's humor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's humor   Dylan's humor Icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2017 12:29 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
Littlelo wrote:

LOL

In my opinion there are two separate types of sarcasm. There is being funny in a sarcastic manner, that most people will get and laugh at. THEN there is being sarcastic with the intent to just be hateful and to be an ass. How people took Dylan's would likely depend on what the subject was.
Back to top Go down
spidEr

spidEr

Contribution Points : 69576
Forum Reputation : 145

Dylan's humor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's humor   Dylan's humor Icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2017 12:32 pm

Sue said Dylan would change the start up sound on their shared computer to farm animal sounds, so when Tom turned it on he would get greeted with those sounds.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

Dylan's humor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's humor   Dylan's humor Icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2017 12:33 pm

spidEr wrote:
Sue said Dylan would change the start up sound on their shared computer to farm animal sounds, so when Tom turned it on he would get greeted with those sounds.

LOL I forgot about that.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

Dylan's humor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's humor   Dylan's humor Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2017 11:37 am

Early 1999 when he was talking about the senior prank he said it involved the "whole class" I wonder if he was being dark and hinting.

Or it may have been what he was doodling about in his journal?

Dylan's humor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dylan's humor   Dylan's humor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dylan's humor
Page 1 of 1