Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Interview with Eric’s friend

Go down 
+4
munchkinphone
Demented
Guest83142
Rebbie556
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Rebbie556

Contribution Points : 92006
Forum Reputation : 225

Interview with Eric’s friend Empty
PostSubject: Interview with Eric’s friend   Interview with Eric’s friend Icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2017 8:05 am

This interview is by Cypressdustwitch

In the 18 years since Columbine, there has been a fair amount of new information about Dylan Klebold released mostly by his family. This gives us more insight into his mindset and what type of person he was. However, hardly anything new has been released by Eric’s family or friends. He remains largely a mystery, as his family and friends have kept silent about him. Now, I realize that the transition from child to teenager changes people drastically, but any insight into the mind of Eric Harris at any point in his life can provide a more complete view of who he was as a person.

Q: Can you tell me a little about your childhood up to the point you met Eric? 
-How old were you when you met Eric Harris? 
-Can you recall the first time you met him?

A: I met Eric when I was about 9 or 10 years old. The first time I met him was during my first baseball practice. I’ve already told you the story of that day, so I won’t re-tell it unless you’d like me to.

Q: How close would you say your friendship was with him? Were there any defining moments in your friendship?

A: I won’t lie and pretend that we were best friends or anything. He was a grade above me in school, so he had more friends that were in his own grade, so we only would hang out or talk during recess or outside of school hours. We did stay over at each other’s house once or twice maybe. In hindsight, the biggest thing that stands out is how he reacted when he accidentally hit me with a baseball at my first practice. It’s quite a thing to think that he was so upset and sorry that he had hurt me at practice, then fast forward to seeing him on the news during high school.

Q: In a few sentences, how would you describe Eric’s personality during the time you knew him? Was he a nice person, or mean? 
-Do you recall any of his interests? What sort of things did you two bond over?

A: He was a really normal kid from what I knew of him growing up. He wasn’t some obnoxious kid, nor was he overly shy. He was very vanilla, in a good way. Around that age, most kids liked playing outside since there were always so many kids living on the air base, and video games.

Q: Where did Eric rank on the social totem of the elementary school you two attended? Was he considered popular? Unpopular? Somewhere in between?

A: My recollection of Eric was as a very middle of the road kid. I never recalled him getting picked on during recess or by other kids in the neighborhood. He wasn’t mean to other people, at least as far as I can remember.

Q: Did you ever meet Wayne and Kathy Harris or any other members of Eric’s family? If so, what did you think of the family dynamic/atmosphere of the household? 
-What was his relationship with his father like? His mother? 
-Have you ever met Kevin Harris? If so, what did you think of him? 
-Do you have any memories that stand out of the Harris family?

A: I couldn’t say what his relationship was like with his parents behind closed doors, but I remember his dad or mom being at little league practices and games, which wasn’t the case for all of the kids growing up. I don’t recall his dad being “that guy” who would yell at his kid from the stands or anything like that (my dad was “that guy”).
I was never really around Kevin, so nothing stands out about him to me. 
Our dads worked together in the military, so they already knew each other before Eric and I ever met.

Q: Did he ever give you any indication that he was violent or unstable? If so, could you elaborate? 
-Did he bully anyone in school, or was he bullied?

A: No, there was nothing I saw that would have ever indicated that he was violent or unstable, which is why it was so shocking to me when I saw him on the news. I don’t recall him ever bullying someone or being on the receiving end of it.

Q: Do you have any specific memories that stand out of Eric? We’ve heard about the little league story, I’m wondering, are there any other memories that come to mind?

A: I just remember him being a nice kid, overall. The little league story only stands out now in light of what happened with Columbine. If not for that, I wouldn’t really have any story that stands out about him.

Q: Did Eric ever speak about wanting to do anything violent, or said anything weird along those lines?

A: No, he was not an angry kid when I knew him. I definitely would have remembered him saying something outlandish, even if Columbine hadn’t happened.

Q: Did you keep in contact with Eric after he moved away?

A: We ran into each other on occasion at Plattsburgh, since both of our families moved there, but again, he was at a different school and we didn’t see each other much. No internet back then, so I completely lost track of him after Plattsburgh.

Q: Are there any inaccuracies you have noticed in the media/culture surrounding the persona of Eric Harris?

A: I’ve only seen the part of Bowling for Columbine that pertains to the kids from Oscoda that were interviewed. I was off at college during that time, so I wasn’t aware of the interviews after the fact. I wouldn’t have agreed to be on camera talking about it, because that’s just not who I am. I will say that at least one of the kids interviewed seems a little “iffy” to me. I know it’s bad to say, but Eric’s father was a high-ranking officer, so I have a difficult time believing that he would have been in the same social circle as some of the kids interviewed. Not to say that Eric would have thought himself better than them, it’s just that he wouldn’t have been in the same circles by virtue of his circumstance as the child of a military officer. I can’t say with 100% certainty that the people interviewed in the documentary were lying, but i’m skeptical.

Q: What are your personal thoughts/opinions of Eric Harris and the Columbine massacre? What do you personally believe led to Eric and Dylan killing their schoolmates and then themselves?

A: Growing up in the air force, you move frequently. After the base in Wurtsmith, we moved 2 more times. At Wurtsmith and then Plattsburgh, I was a relatively popular kid and did not have any real social issues with people. At the very last base we moved to, I was instantly a social pariah and picked on incessantly. It’s a weird thing to go from one end of the social spectrum to the other, just based on the air base you’re at, but it can definitely happen. The last move completely scarred me socially and I still have issues based on the experience. I think it’s completely possible that Eric experienced this when he moved to Colorado, possibly even before that, when he moved to Plattsburgh. I rarely saw him there since we were in different schools. It would not surprise me if he didn’t start getting bullied until after he moved to a new base. It can be that simple that someone is a regular kid who gets along with people at one air base and then moves to another where you get bullied constantly and completely change your mentality.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Rebbie556 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Guest83142

Contribution Points : 70298
Forum Reputation : 163

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Eric’s friend   Interview with Eric’s friend Icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2017 12:58 pm

Last edited by Guest83142 on Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Demented

Demented

Contribution Points : 58096
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Eric’s friend   Interview with Eric’s friend Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 11:00 am

MrHorror93700 wrote:
Do not take it badly, but who will read all this Surprised

Aiiiie ! My eyes... affraid

I did
Back to top Go down
munchkinphone

Contribution Points : 63814

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Eric’s friend   Interview with Eric’s friend Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 11:09 am

I read all this and I find it very interesting. It makes me believe that Eric did not have to keep up his orderly and positive persona when he met Dylan and that he found great comfort in that. I really believe Dylan was Erics outlet maybe even more than Eric was Dylans. I always thought of Dylan as more emotional but that is probably because I cant easily grasp the kind of mental changes that Eric went through.

When looking at the essays that Eric write about his past you can sense that he talks about having negative feelings that he does not seem to fully commit to. He describes being very sad but quickly go on to the next event of his story. To me it is prominent how he seems to not grasp or feel the seriousness of his emotions when he writes about them, it is as if they do not matter to his current situation and he has detached from his former life.

By moving around alot I can imagine you become very sensitive to context, you learn to adapt to whatever is around you and it can become exhausting to always be the cameleon.

We dont know much about what happened at Ken Caryl but my theory is that he found himself comfortable in a lower social status that he had previously had and that he struggled to climb up, also finding he might not want to.

When he started High School he had contradicting feelings about how to approach this new social environment. Either he could act cameleon and blend in and get accepted by these people he did not really like or he could just BE. Which is what he did in my opinion and this state of not trying let his suppressed feelings (of both love and sadness) from his past find an outlet in the form of rage towards his bullies and also himself. I actually believe that Eric never really felt justified to feel his feelings unless he felt they were constructive and that the only way for him to stop suppressing his negative feelings was to make a way for them to be constructive, thus creating a negative goal in his life.

I think alot about how Dylans thoughts about the contrasting symbol might have been presented to Eric and how it made him realize this part of him that was not always trying to "be good" and instead just trying to be true and I think is this effort to be true to himself he became egocentrical and also felt justified to have feelings and express them, no matter what they were.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Eric’s friend   Interview with Eric’s friend Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 11:33 am

I may have strained my eyes, but I did read it.   Smile  I also find it very telling that Eric seemed to be a fairly normal kid BEFORE the last move, at least on the surface.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193207
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Eric’s friend   Interview with Eric’s friend Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 1:57 pm

This is a great article, thank you for sharing it Smile

There is so much about Eric that is interesting. His life before Littleton and the way his classmates and teachers thought of him seem to be the same way people in Littleton felt about Dylan.

I do remember reading, I think Devon, stating that Eric would always tell Dylan no one liked him and they were in it together. They were both outcasts.

Contribution Points : 92006
Forum Reputation : 225

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Eric’s friend   Interview with Eric’s friend Icon_minitimeSat Jan 06, 2018 10:22 pm

Sry about the eye cancer folks !
Edit: I made corrections to read it better

Last edited by Rebbie556 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 97993
Forum Reputation : 154

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Eric’s friend   Interview with Eric’s friend Icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2018 3:43 pm

Why did the interviewer ask about 12 questions at once!? Give the guy a chance to answer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Eric’s friend   Interview with Eric’s friend Icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2018 6:45 pm

Wish we could get an in-depth Q&A with Nate D.. Or Chris M.. (Friends during the "downward Spiral)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Eric’s friend   Interview with Eric’s friend Icon_minitimeSat Jan 13, 2018 10:31 am

MikeyMayes wrote:
Wish we could get an in-depth Q&A with Nate D.. Or Chris M.. (Friends during the "downward Spiral)

Me too.
Back to top Go down
evelynssye

Contribution Points : 56353

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Eric’s friend   Interview with Eric’s friend Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2018 1:04 am

Can someone please tell me what the "little league story" was pertaining to Eric? I am out of the loop on this one.

Contribution Points : 83257
Forum Reputation : 598

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Eric’s friend   Interview with Eric’s friend Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2018 1:10 am

evelynssye wrote:
Can someone please tell me what the "little league story" was pertaining to Eric? I am out of the loop on this one.
Thanks for bumping this thread because I was just asking about this interview in another thread. Very Happy

I looked up the little league story and I think that she posted it on Tumblr.
Quote :
So I’m not heavily involved in the tcc that much, but recently I’ve sparked an interest in the columbine shootings. I was like 7 years old when it happened, so I didn’t really know what it truly was all about til around a month ago.
So yesterday, my husband who’s a tattooer invited one of his clients over for some euchre and drinking with a couple other friends. His friend is 34, and an Air Force brat. SOMEHOW we get on the topic of columbine, and this man GREW UP WITH ERIC HARRIS!!!!!
Their dads were on the same base, so they went to school together, and stayed a few nights at each other’s houses when they were in like 2nd grade. He told a story about how they played little league baseball together. He wasn’t paying attention at the time Eric was pitching, and Eric accidentally hit him in the face with the baseball. He started crying and Eric saw what happened and came over and cried too and was apologizing and all that.
He said Eric was just like any other kid at that age.
I didn’t get any other stories besides that one, but you can bet your ass I’m asking more questions next time I see him. It’s just crazy, cause today’s the anniversary of the shootings….and it’s just like cosmic. Probably for no reason, but still cosmic.
Back to top Go down
evelynssye

Contribution Points : 56353

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Eric’s friend   Interview with Eric’s friend Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2018 1:49 am

sscc wrote:
evelynssye wrote:
Thanks for bumping this thread because I was just asking about this interview in another thread. Very Happy

I looked up the little league story and I think that she posted it on Tumblr.
Quote :
So I’m not heavily involved in the tcc that much, but recently I’ve sparked an interest in the columbine shootings. I was like 7 years old when it happened, so I didn’t really know what it truly was all about til around a month ago.
So yesterday, my husband who’s a tattooer invited one of his clients over for some euchre and drinking with a couple other friends. His friend is 34, and an Air Force brat. SOMEHOW we get on the topic of columbine, and this man GREW UP WITH ERIC HARRIS!!!!!
Their dads were on the same base, so they went to school together, and stayed a few nights at each other’s houses when they were in like 2nd grade. He told a story about how they played little league baseball together. He wasn’t paying attention at the time Eric was pitching, and Eric accidentally hit him in the face with the baseball. He started crying and Eric saw what happened and came over and cried too and was apologizing and all that.
He said Eric was just like any other kid at that age.
I didn’t get any other stories besides that one, but you can bet your ass I’m asking more questions next time I see him. It’s just crazy, cause today’s the anniversary of the shootings….and it’s just like cosmic. Probably for no reason, but still cosmic.

Sure, no problem. Interesting story... Thanks so much!

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Eric’s friend   Interview with Eric’s friend Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interview with Eric’s friend
Page 1 of 1