Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Question about the car bombs

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Question about the car bombs Empty
PostSubject: Question about the car bombs   Question about the car bombs Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 8:52 pm

Ok, I have a question regarding the bombs in Dylan and Eric's cars.. Did the car bombs go off as planned at the precise time - or did they go off, but at the wrong time - or were they detonated by the police before they were set to go off? Were the car bombs duds incorrectly wired like the ones in the cafeteria? I've seen the small clip of the bomb going off in Dylan's car but wasn't sure if it was detonated by cops. It wasn't that much of an explosion either - seemed to have broken windows but didn't affect cars nearby.
Back to top Go down
StinkyOldGrapes

Contribution Points : 100147
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Question about the car bombs   Question about the car bombs Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 9:58 pm

I'm sorry. I don't know the answer to this.

I've heard that one of the car bombs went off at the wrong time, but I've also heard that the same bomb went off because the cops were tampering with it and it exploded accidentally.

I've seen that picture of the exploded car too. But I don't know if that was only a partial detonation or if the bomb was just weak.

Personally, I think it's most likely that none of E/D's major bombs detonated on their own.

PostSubject: Re: Question about the car bombs   Question about the car bombs Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 4:18 am

Thanks for attempting to help with this one. I tend to think you're right that all of their major bombs failed.

I heard from someone that used to be on the old forum that Dylan's car bomb was set to PM not AM.
Back to top Go down
StinkyOldGrapes

PostSubject: Re: Question about the car bombs   Question about the car bombs Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 4:38 am

Yeah, I've heard that thing about Dylan's bomb being wrongly set to PM too. But I'm pretty sure the cops were aware of the car bombs early on, and that they were working to destroy them. Although, now that I think about it, there are only three possibilities: 1) The car bomb went off on it's own. 2) The car bomb partially detonated 3) The cops detonated it. If Dylan's car bomb WAS detonated by cops, it was still a weak explosion.

FRUSTRATING!

Contribution Points : 102570

PostSubject: Re: Question about the car bombs   Question about the car bombs Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 4:48 am

If it explodeded it HAD to be a weak explosion, otherwise Dylan's car wouldn't be on e-bay after that, I guess?

PostSubject: Re: Question about the car bombs   Question about the car bombs Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 5:06 am

tragedy79 wrote:
If it explodeded it HAD to be a weak explosion, otherwise Dylan's car wouldn't be on e-bay after that, I guess?
Hey, good point!

What do other people make of this? Did they repair Dylan's car to sell it? Why would they do that instead of sending it to the wreckers?

Contribution Points : 101893

PostSubject: Re: Question about the car bombs   Question about the car bombs Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 9:57 am

The car was repaired and given to charity by Dylan's parents. Then it ended up on ebay eventually. Before
they gave it to charity, they offered it to Nate Dykeman but he never returned to pick it up. Can't make up my
mind right now where I read that info... Need to look it up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about the car bombs   Question about the car bombs Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 10:38 am

StinkyOldGrapes wrote:
tragedy79 wrote:
Hey, good point!

What do other people make of this? Did they repair Dylan's car to sell it? Why would they do that instead of sending it to the wreckers?
Yes, I think around 2006-2009 it was sold on ebay, if I recall correctly?  I have all the photos of Dylan's car  on my Tumblr which I'll link in a bit.  I remember the guy who sold it or bought it?, can't recall which it was, seemed to just disappear.  No one has had any contact with him since 2009.  

Anyway, whatever/whoever was the source of the detonation in Dylan's car it wasn't major enough to total it!

Last edited by InFiNiNcEX5 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about the car bombs   Question about the car bombs Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 10:39 am

carrie12 wrote:
The car was repaired and given to charity by Dylan's parents. Then it ended up on ebay eventually. Before
they gave it to charity, they offered it to Nate Dykeman but he never returned to pick it up. Can't make up my
mind right now where I read that info... Need to look it up.
That's interesting that Nate never returned to pick it up. Says a lot about his feelings. He must've felt so betrayed by his friend. Probably had mixed feelings about owning his mass murdering friend's vehicle. That would be..weird.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about the car bombs   Question about the car bombs Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 3:10 pm

EBay Pulls Listing for Columbine Gunman's Car - March 8, 2006
A 1982 BMW advertised as once belonging to one of the gunmen in the Columbine High School killings was pulled from an online auction, a spokesman for eBay said.

"If the owner wanted to sell this car, there’s nothing stopping them from doing so," eBay spokesman Hani Durzy told the Rocky Mountain News. "They just can’t market it as being owned by Dylan Klebold."

Durzy, citing privacy reasons, would not say whether the San Jose, Calif.-based eBay would apply any sanctions to the prospective seller, whose handle is “isubars.”

"The car was bought without knowing who previously owned it," the seller said on the site. "Once I found out it was Klebold’s I put it up here."

Bidding on the black 320i, which has 144,000 miles, reached at least $1,825 before it was pulled Monday. The seller did not respond to an e-mail request for an interview.

Investigators returned the car to Klebold’s family Aug. 2, 2000, once it had “no remaining value” to investigators, said Jefferson County sheriff’s spokeswoman Jacki Kelley.

A police report shows investigators seized Klebold’s car after Klebold and Eric Harris shot 12 students and a teacher before killing themselves April 20, 1999. Among the items inside the car were two 20-pound propane tanks and seven pipe bombs.

The vehicle identification number for the BMW listed on eBay matches the number on a police report, the newspaper reported.

Source: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Exterior Shots and Title

More Exterior shots

Ragged interior Shots

Take a tour of Dylan's BMW 320i
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about the car bombs   Question about the car bombs Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 3:14 pm

Dylan's car explosion
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Distance shot

Closeup after the explosion
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about the car bombs   Question about the car bombs Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 3:28 pm

Someone on Tumblr posted this claiming that Dylan shot his own car in the parking.  This seem to be the case of  two animated images being slapped together to embellish as if this is 'insider' information. Dylan's car wasn't even directly facing the direction CHS windows. And, of course, no body can even make out who or what is in the window. People will see what they want to believe, I guess. lol

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

XX:

Dylan shooting at his car.

XXX:
Well anon, I don’t have to find the video… Someone giffed it.

I'll cross post this to the Tumblr thread as well.
Back to top Go down
Wideawake

Wideawake

Contribution Points : 102351

PostSubject: Re: Question about the car bombs   Question about the car bombs Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 5:22 pm

InFiNiNcEX5 wrote:
Someone on Tumblr posted this claiming that Dylan shot his own car in the parking.  This seem to be the case of  two animated images being slapped together to embellish as if this is 'insider' information. Dylan's car wasn't even directly facing the direction CHS windows. And, of course, no body can even make out who or what is in the window. People will see what they want to believe, I guess. lol

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

XX:

Dylan shooting at his car.

XXX:
Well anon, I don’t have to find the video… Someone giffed it.

I'll cross post this to the Tumblr thread as well.
I just saw this and was like wtf, that didn't happen. Although it would be an impressive shot.
Back to top Go down
StinkyOldGrapes

PostSubject: Re: Question about the car bombs   Question about the car bombs Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 12:47 am

InFiNiNcEX5 wrote:

I don't mean to disbelieve you, but is there any actual evidence that the bomb in Dylan's car really went off?

This car picture looks like a car that has been opened up and thoroughly searched. It doesn't look like an explosion.

PostSubject: Re: Question about the car bombs   Question about the car bombs Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 2:59 am

I remember reading somewhere that one of the bombs (partially?) detonated when they were in the process of removing it and taking it to a safe location. Gave them a good scare, too. Perhaps this was the bomb from Dylan's car? (How anyone can see Dylan in that tiny tiny frame is beyond me, by the way.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about the car bombs   Question about the car bombs Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 12:18 pm

StinkyOldGrapes wrote:
InFiNiNcEX5 wrote:

I don't mean to disbelieve you, but is there any actual evidence that the bomb in Dylan's car really went off?

This car picture looks like a car that has been opened up and thoroughly searched. It doesn't look like an explosion.
That was part of my initial question in this post! Smile I think the consensus here is that the bomb in Dylan's car was partially detonated by the cops. I am not sure where
the 11K information is on this.. Anyone can feel free to jump in and fill in the blanks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about the car bombs   Question about the car bombs Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 12:21 pm

thedragonrampant wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that one of the bombs (partially?) detonated when they were in the process of removing it and taking it to a safe location. Gave them a good scare, too. Perhaps this was the bomb from Dylan's car? (How anyone can see Dylan in that tiny tiny frame is beyond me, by the way.)
This is what I have heard as well but still searching for the 11K info on it. There is one still shot from the Morning Ritual video of Dylan walking away from his Beamer. It looks as though those front seats are jacked reeeeally far back to accommodate lanky, long legs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about the car bombs   Question about the car bombs Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 2:37 pm

InFiNiNcEX5 wrote:
thedragonrampant wrote:
This is what I have heard as well but still searching for the 11K info on it.    There is one still shot from the Morning Ritual video of Dylan walking away from his Beamer. It looks as though those front seats are jacked reeeeally far back to accommodate lanky, long legs.
Ugh, I had a citation on this from Cullen but I think I lost sight of it amid my fury over JeffCo's incompetence. So, I went and looked for more sources.. one cites the detonation as being from Dylan's carbomb, the other cites a mishap in bombs in general..

I found this on Wiki:
Quote :
By 6:15 p.m., officials had found a bomb in Klebold's car in the parking lot. The sheriff decided to mark the entire school as a crime scene; thirteen of the dead, including the shooters, were still inside the school at the time. At 10:45 p.m. the bomb in the car detonated when an officer tried to defuse it. The car was damaged, but no one was injured.
And this through CNN, which cites:
Quote :
During the collection and handling of the explosives evidence Tuesday evening, one bomb and other devices within the bomb trailer were accidentally detonated. Two bomb technicians from the Arapahoe Sheriff’s Office were lowering a pipe bomb into the trailer when a striking match attached to the pipe bomb brushed against the trailer wall and ignited. The devices exploded within the confines of the trailer. At 10:40 p.m. April 20, the radio report of “officer down” stunned the entire law enforcement community responding to the Columbine incident. Thankfully, no one was hurt because the technicians were well trained and wearing protective bomb suits and knew to fall backward as they saw the spark from the device.

There were no injuries and no fatalities as a result of any bomb explosions.
Finally, I took a look at the 11k and found the 007689-008274 section that's about the bombs and the first responders. Might have overlooked something (still sick and haven't got all my marbles back together ;) ), but it looks like CNN's correct in their statement and that the 11k doesn't explicitly state that Dylan's carbomb was involved in the explosion.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 124624
Forum Reputation : 1001

PostSubject: Re: Question about the car bombs   Question about the car bombs Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2015 12:03 am

None of the car bombs exploded as planned

What you are seeing above is the disruption by the bomb squad of Dylan's car bomb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about the car bombs   Question about the car bombs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about the car bombs
Page 1 of 1