Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Revisiting Sue's Comment

Go down 
+3
QuestionMark
Ainjel
Screamingophelia
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 195548
Forum Reputation : 1317

Revisiting Sue's Comment Empty
PostSubject: Revisiting Sue's Comment   Revisiting Sue's Comment Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 2:06 am

I came upon a Youtube video from a new commentator whose content I have been enjoying. I usually don't seek out too much True Crime content or Columbine content on YT, sometimes you get people who have no idea what they are talking about (coughOnisioncough)

He was speaking about Sue's interview with Diane Sawyer and how heartbreaking it was when Sue said she was praying Dylan would die if he was hurting people... and he was talking about the moment when a parent could stop loving their child.

I find it interesting because on one hand Sue didn't know Dylan's involvement and it was only in October that she realized how involved Dylan was. She thought he was tricked or threatened into doing it.

I still understand her wish for him to stop and she really wanted to believe and understand his suicidal ideations. I know Dylan would not have lasted in prison and in that moment she just wanted the violence to stop. Though when she made the prayer, Dylan was already dead.

Do you feel any different than you first did when you heard this? Have your thoughts changed at all?

Last edited by Screamingophelia on Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ainjel

Ainjel

Contribution Points : 68133
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Sue's Comment   Revisiting Sue's Comment Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 3:40 am

So I try to put myself in Sue’s shoes and how she must have felt when she realized that her son might be involved in killing other people.  I know I wouldn’t want anyone to die because of a choice that my child made but I believe I would have a hard time praying for their death.  I think my first thought would be is can I try to possibly talk them down.  But we now know that would not have worked with Dylan.  Death was the only escape for him.  

In my opinion, and maybe this is just my beliefs for myself, but it would take a lot of hurt and pain caused on the behalf of your child to stop loving them.  I don’t think Sue ever stopped loving Dylan and I believe she still loves him to this day.  I think in the moment that she claims she made that prayer, she was in shock and disbelief and she just wanted the situation to end before anymore kids got hurt.  I feel like she probably felt like she was trapped in a nightmare that she knew she would never escape.

I have always felt sorry for Sue because she is a mostly innocent victim in this chaos and disaster that her son caused.  But at the same time I feel like there were some missed opportunities by her that could have possibly changed the course of events on 4/20.  With all that being said, I do feel like Sue is making an effort to change others lives with the lessons she has learned from Columbine. None of us will ever know the heavy burden that she will carry for the rest of her life but at least she is trying do something positive with the shitty hand she has been dealt.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Sue's Comment   Revisiting Sue's Comment Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 3:48 am

Ainjel wrote:
So I try to put myself in Sue’s shoes and how she must have felt when she realized that her son might be involved in killing other people.  I know I wouldn’t want anyone to die because of a choice that my child made but I believe I would have a hard time praying for their death.  I think my first thought would be is can I try to possibly talk them down.  But we now know that would not have worked with Dylan.  Death was the only escape for him.  

In my opinion, and maybe this is just my beliefs for myself, but it would take a lot of hurt and pain caused on the behalf of your child to stop loving them.  I don’t think Sue ever stopped loving Dylan and I believe she still loves him to this day.  I think in the moment that she claims she made that prayer, she was in shock and disbelief and she just wanted the situation to end before anymore kids got hurt.  I feel like she probably felt like she was trapped in a nightmare that she knew she would never escape.

I have always felt sorry for Sue because she is a mostly innocent victim in this chaos and disaster that her son caused.  But at the same time I feel like there were some missed opportunities by her that could have possibly changed the course of events on 4/20.  With all that being said, I do feel like Sue is making an effort to change others lives with the lessons she has learned from Columbine. None of us will ever know the heavy burden that she will carry for the rest of her life but at least she is trying do something positive with the shitty hand she has been dealt.

I agree and I sometimes wonder, to me there was the Mothers Day incident where in hindsight she could have asked Dylan to explain more about his anger that may have given her more insight. I think by then Dylan’s mind was made up.

I also wonder what would happen if his parents were like you’re not going to school, we are physically stopping you because you need a day off...
Back to top Go down
Ainjel

Ainjel

Contribution Points : 68133

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Sue's Comment   Revisiting Sue's Comment Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 3:53 am

I often wonder what would have happened if she ran after Dylan the morning of 4/20 when he rudely said bye.  If only she had taken the time to stop him and see why he was so angry...
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 122653
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Sue's Comment   Revisiting Sue's Comment Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 4:06 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
(coughOnisioncough)

Wait what.

This Onision? https://encyclopediadramatica.rs/Onision

Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Sue's Comment   Revisiting Sue's Comment Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 4:21 am

QuestionMark wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
(coughOnisioncough)

Wait what.

Yep!
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Sue's Comment   Revisiting Sue's Comment Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 8:07 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
(coughOnisioncough)

Wait what.

Yep!

I'm not shocked in the least. Onision is a pretty stupid person all around.

Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 98449
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Sue's Comment   Revisiting Sue's Comment Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 4:27 pm

I agree that Sue never stopped loving him. There is no amount of anything my daughter could do to me to make me stop loving her.

I understand her comments. Knowing her child was killing others and relishing in it must have been something that broke her logic. She thought she knew her son, thought he was still the beacon of light that she raised. She wanted to stop the pain before it spread and she probably knew that talking to Dylan wouldn't stop him. Nothing short of death.

Sue seems like a good mother. Then I start to think about what Dylan was going thru and I wonder what she noticed if anything

sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 126349
Forum Reputation : 1001

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Sue's Comment   Revisiting Sue's Comment Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 4:31 pm

I can understand how Susan would pray that Dylan would die if he was killing people.

Extreme to some but

To think that your "pure" son is shooting/killing a bunch of people would be dreadful to any parent.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Sue's Comment   Revisiting Sue's Comment Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 5:15 pm

While I do believe in the moment of horror at the realization that Dylan was hurting or killing people, Sue may have had the passing thought or prayer for his death as a way to stop what was happening. But in no way do I believe she put very much effort into those thoughts or prayers.

Sue said herself that her first thoughts were for her son, and much later she would grieve for his victims. She also talked about how selfish she knew that was.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Sue's Comment   Revisiting Sue's Comment Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 5:49 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
While I do believe in the moment of horror at the realization that Dylan was hurting or killing people, Sue may have had the passing thought or prayer for his death as a way to stop what was happening. But in no way do I believe she put very much effort into those thoughts or prayers.

Sue said herself that her first thoughts were for her son, and much later she would grieve for his victims. She also talked about how selfish she knew that was.

This may be unpopular but I don't think she should feel guilty for her feelings. Whatever Dylan did, he was still her son and he still died. It is sad there were other victims but she was his mother and she loved him. Sue and Tom lost just as much that day

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Sue's Comment   Revisiting Sue's Comment Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 5:55 pm

Lizpuff wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

This may be unpopular but I don't think she should feel guilty for her feelings.  Whatever Dylan did, he was still her son and he still died.  It is sad there were other victims but she was his mother and she loved him.  Sue and Tom lost just as much that day

Completely agreed! You don't just turn the love for a child off. I am sure she hates his actions/hates what he became, yet still loves him. Sad
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Sue's Comment   Revisiting Sue's Comment Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 6:16 pm

Lizpuff wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

This may be unpopular but I don't think she should feel guilty for her feelings.  Whatever Dylan did, he was still her son and he still died.  It is sad there were other victims but she was his mother and she loved him.  Sue and Tom lost just as much that day

I agree as well. It wasn’t selfish of her to think of her son. Dylan up to their day was her pride and joy. She was scared all morning that something had happened TO him not that he was doing anything. Stark. contrast to what we think of the Harrises.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Sue's Comment   Revisiting Sue's Comment Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 6:56 pm

Lizpuff wrote:
Sue seems like a good mother.  Then I start to think about what Dylan was going thru and I wonder what she noticed if anything

If we're gonna go down that road I'd argue that Eric's parents were far more negligent in parenting their child.

Lizpuff

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Sue's Comment   Revisiting Sue's Comment Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 7:03 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:
Sue seems like a good mother.  Then I start to think about what Dylan was going thru and I wonder what she noticed if anything

If we're gonna go down that road I'd argue that Eric's parents were far more negligent in parenting their child.

Never said they were not. I just look at it with facts like Dylan was practically emaciated when he died. He was spending all his time alone in his room or with Eric being secretive, and he was drinking. She must not have been as involved as she states

Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Sue's Comment   Revisiting Sue's Comment Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 7:50 pm

In 1999 in Colorado could they have had Dylan involuntarily committed?

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Sue's Comment   Revisiting Sue's Comment Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 8:13 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:

I'm not sure. scratch  Although they possibly could have IF it was determined he was a danger to himself or others, as he was still underage at the time.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Sue's Comment   Revisiting Sue's Comment Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 8:19 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:

I'm not sure. scratch  Although they possibly could have IF it was determined he was a danger to himself or others, as he was still underage at the time.

I’m not saying Dylan would not have killed himself shortly after...

Then you wonder, if that happened the morning of, what would Eric have done?
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Sue's Comment   Revisiting Sue's Comment Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 8:20 pm

I think if lets say Dylan was committed and was going to be away for a while, Eric would have given up the plan for the time being. No matter what others think, I just don't see him going about the plan alone

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Sue's Comment   Revisiting Sue's Comment Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 8:27 pm

Lizpuff wrote:
I think if lets say Dylan was committed and was going to be away for a while, Eric would have given up the plan for the time being.  No matter what others think, I just don't see him going about the plan alone

Agree. In Eric's own words NBK was his and Dylan's war against the world.

"No one is to blame except me and Vodka. Our actions are a two man war against everyone else."
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Sue's Comment   Revisiting Sue's Comment Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 8:51 pm

Lizpuff wrote:
I think if lets say Dylan was committed and was going to be away for a while, Eric would have given up the plan for the time being.  No matter what others think, I just don't see him going about the plan alone

Me neither. They needed each other to carry this out.
Back to top Go down
Mojo11

Contribution Points : 57729

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Sue's Comment   Revisiting Sue's Comment Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2018 1:27 am

Didn’t she hear that high number of 25 killed and that’s when she’d prayed he die before anymore could be hurt?
Back to top Go down
23september

Contribution Points : 68615
Forum Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Sue's Comment   Revisiting Sue's Comment Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2018 9:12 am

She did also mention in her book that she regretted praying for his death later
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Sue's Comment   Revisiting Sue's Comment Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Revisiting Sue's Comment
Page 1 of 1