Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rachel's Funeral

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
katherinex

Contribution Points : 61911
Forum Reputation : 125

Rachel's Funeral Empty
PostSubject: Rachel's Funeral   Rachel's Funeral Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2019 2:20 pm

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I was reading Brooks' book and he mentions after Rachel's family had left the church Rachel's coffin was opened. Does anyone know who would have allowed that? Why didn't they choose an open casket funeral if the coffin got opened after the service? Did her family not know it was going to happen? What was the point of opening it? According to Brooks, she had an awful look on her face, understandable considering how she died. Surely it would have been better to have left it closed.
Back to top Go down
andthentherewas1

andthentherewas1

Contribution Points : 54536
Forum Reputation : 25

Rachel's Funeral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rachel's Funeral   Rachel's Funeral Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Maybe they voted on it
Back to top Go down
HanShotFirst
Top Contributor
HanShotFirst

Contribution Points : 64362
Forum Reputation : 1210

Rachel's Funeral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rachel's Funeral   Rachel's Funeral Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2019 2:52 pm

I think her family was there? And it's not unusual for a casket to be opened at the end even if it was a closed casket service. Alot of times it is opened at the end and family and friends file past the body to pay respects one last time as they exit. We did that at my grandpa's funeral

Rachel's Funeral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rachel's Funeral   Rachel's Funeral Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2019 3:53 pm

Ah I didn't realise that. Thank you for explaining it to me HanShotFirst. I'm from the UK and have never been to an open casket funeral or even one where they open it at the end.
Back to top Go down
HanShotFirst
Top Contributor
HanShotFirst

Contribution Points : 64362
Forum Reputation : 1210

Rachel's Funeral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rachel's Funeral   Rachel's Funeral Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2019 4:37 pm

No prob

Rachel's Funeral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rachel's Funeral   Rachel's Funeral Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2019 4:57 pm

Why do people make the deaths of Rachel and Cassie almost like martyrs?
Back to top Go down
katherinex

Rachel's Funeral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rachel's Funeral   Rachel's Funeral Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2019 4:59 pm

@Ziamber because of all the confusion surrounding the shooting. It's like a he said she said situation but no one can verify 100% the accounts of what happened before they died. Other than Cassie, I'm sure that was debunked as being someone else being asked about their beliefs in God.
Back to top Go down
Lunkhead McGrath

Contribution Points : 76161
Forum Reputation : 225

Rachel's Funeral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rachel's Funeral   Rachel's Funeral Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2019 11:06 pm

Ziamber II wrote:
Why do people make the deaths of Rachel and Cassie almost like martyrs?

Because they were both members of Evangelical Christian communities, i.e., fundamentalists, i.e., those Christians who place an emphasis on a strict, literal reading and following of the Bible.
These people are American right-wingers and are, in general, opposed to government intrusions into the lives of American citizens, feeling that the government is part of a Satanic worldwide conspiracy to bring about the end of days and the takeover of the Antichrist.
They always look for proof that American life is something that Christians must fight, and that others are out to persecute and destroy Christians for their beliefs.
Columbine plays right into that--it took place in a public school (i.e., a profane place due to the separation of church and state where one cannot pray freely) and the victims were killed by two boys immersed in modern, godless, nihilistic, hedonistic, heavy-metal pop culture.

The defining incident for these people was the 1992 Ruby Ridge standoff in which a fundamentalist, separatist Christian family got involved in a firefight with government agents; the family wife/mother was shot dead by an FBI agent while she was holding their baby. Ruby Ridge and the 1993 Waco siege led to the 1995 Oklahoma City Bombing, an attack on the government by terrorist Timothy McVeigh, who in turn influenced the Columbine massacre itself, with Eric and Dylan wanting to top Timothy McVeigh's body count.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rachel's Funeral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rachel's Funeral   Rachel's Funeral Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rachel's Funeral
Page 1 of 1