Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Westword article

Go down 
+4
spinvault
Screamingophelia
Lizpuff
Yumeko-chan
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Yumeko-chan

Contribution Points : 105390
Forum Reputation : 102

Westword article  Empty
PostSubject: Westword article    Westword article  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2019 11:06 am

Here's an article I got interviewed for. Print version will be out tomorrow.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96199
Forum Reputation : 1190

Westword article  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westword article    Westword article  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2019 11:44 am

Great article. It is nice to hear from many different survivors and sad to see how many are still affected. I thought this was very well written and did not notice until the end that it was written by Alan Prendergast. No surprise there.

Also if it is not too creepy, I really like your living room

Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193257
Forum Reputation : 1317

Westword article  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westword article    Westword article  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2019 11:51 am

Thank you for sharing!!!

spinvault

Contribution Points : 73353
Forum Reputation : 0

Westword article  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westword article    Westword article  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2019 1:35 pm

Really enjoyed reading the article. Thanks for posting it.
Back to top Go down
asloversgo

Contribution Points : 75683
Forum Reputation : 0

Westword article  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westword article    Westword article  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2019 2:14 pm

Amanda, thanks for working with me on it!!!
Back to top Go down
Pixie13

Contribution Points : 56751
Forum Reputation : 270

Westword article  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westword article    Westword article  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2019 3:39 pm

It's a great article. Thank you for sharing your story [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
milennialrebelette

milennialrebelette

Contribution Points : 59415
Forum Reputation : 725

Westword article  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westword article    Westword article  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2019 8:32 pm

Yumeko-chan wrote:
Here's an article I got interviewed for.  Print version will be out tomorrow.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Amazing article Amanda!!! :hugs:
Back to top Go down
thelmar

thelmar

Contribution Points : 82782
Forum Reputation : 3068

Westword article  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westword article    Westword article  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2019 10:35 am

This was a great article, but upsetting at the same time. Especially Amanda's comment about people expecting her to "get over it" just because it has been a certain amount of time since the event.

I've been trying to put my thoughts in order with regard to why that bothers me so much. And I think it's not just because some idiot, who could never even conceive of being witness to that kind of horror, makes a comment which basically dismisses that trauma.
I think it's the broader concept that everyone expects everyone else to respond a certain way in a certain amount of time. As Amanda mentioned, Columbine victims who were not physically injured basically got ignored after a while, as though their emotional/psychic pain wasn't as significant as that of those with bullet wounds. Why are those two groups even being compared?

Why do we have to measure who has "the right" to be traumatized and for how long they can remain so? Shouldn't it be obvious that people are different? That some people feel things more deeply, while others feel things less? Why are people expected to rush themselves through a recovery process or be told they can no longer discuss fears/ feelings related to an event just because that event occurred "X" amount of time ago?

Everybody deals with things in their own way and in their own time. Some people are better at it than others or have better access to tools that can smooth their recovery for them. Some people are unable to reach out, especially right away after the trauma, as mentioned by several of the people in the article.
It frustrates me that our empathy for people who are struggling seems to have an expiration date. It frustrates me that we have expectations of how someone should react to something and if they fail to meet those expectations we judge them for it.
<rant over>

It was nice to read of the ways in which survivors use Columbine to help them appreciate life and other people more, and how despite the lasting trauma from the attack they are managing to find happiness in their lives.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193257
Forum Reputation : 1317

Westword article  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westword article    Westword article  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2019 10:42 am

I have a friend who is a survivor and she told me that her mother did ask a couple years later why she wasn’t over it yet. It’s really surprising how people seem to think you can just get over it. It’s always going to be a part of you.

I was a teenager when it happened and didn’t even live in the area and it still effects me in a certain way. It’s like the ripple effect.

Westword article  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westword article    Westword article  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Westword article
Page 1 of 1