Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Victims Funerals

Go down 
+7
Lunkhead McGrath
spinvault
Onyx
Lizpuff
SandraSmit19
remrem25
katherinex
11 posters
AuthorMessage
katherinex

Contribution Points : 61911
Forum Reputation : 125

Victims Funerals  Empty
PostSubject: Victims Funerals    Victims Funerals  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2019 6:05 am

Did every victim have an open casket funeral?

Surely based on injuries, some victims wouldn't have been able to have an open casket, such as Cassie, but she did have an open casket funeral, didn't she?But didn't Tom Mauser say they didn't know about Daniel's injuries, or the extent of them, until a few days before the funeral and they couldn't believe he still looked as they remembered him because whoever worked on him did a really good job so he didn't look like he would have done immediately after he died.

I'm from the UK so never understood why people choose an open casket funeral. As far as I am aware, we just don't do it here.

Sorry if this is a topic that's been visited before.
Back to top Go down
remrem25

remrem25

Contribution Points : 44985
Forum Reputation : 0

Victims Funerals  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victims Funerals    Victims Funerals  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 9:20 am

I would think that some were not considering the severity of the injuries they suffered and where were inflicted.

SandraSmit19

Contribution Points : 103069
Forum Reputation : 235

Victims Funerals  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victims Funerals    Victims Funerals  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 11:01 am

katherinex wrote:
Did every victim have an open casket funeral?

Surely based on injuries, some victims wouldn't have been able to have an open casket, such as Cassie, but she did have an open casket funeral, didn't she?But didn't Tom Mauser say they didn't know about Daniel's injuries, or the extent of them, until a few days before the funeral and they couldn't believe he still looked as they remembered him because whoever worked on him did a really good job so he didn't look like he would have done immediately after he died.

I'm from the UK so never understood why people choose an open casket funeral. As far as I am aware, we just don't do it here.

Sorry if this is a topic that's been visited before.

Actually, Misty Bernall mentioned in her book 'She said yes' that they debated whether or not Cassie looked enough like herself to have an open casket funeral and they decided that she didn't. So I'm assuming that means they didn't have an open casket for the funeral.

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96199
Forum Reputation : 1190

Victims Funerals  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victims Funerals    Victims Funerals  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 11:05 am

I have heard that They placed stuffed animals around Dylan's head leading me to think his very small funeral had an open casket but Im not sure the validity

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Onyx
Top Contributor
Onyx

Contribution Points : 49027
Forum Reputation : 378

Victims Funerals  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victims Funerals    Victims Funerals  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 12:23 pm

Lizpuff wrote:
I have heard that They placed stuffed animals around Dylan's head leading me to think his very small funeral had an open casket but Im not sure the validity

Sue mentioned it in the book:

"No words are adequate to describe the pain of seeing Dylan’s body in that casket. The expression on Dylan’s face was unfamiliar, which Byron later confessed made it easier for him. That unfamiliar expression was perhaps the only thing that allowed us to get through that first, horrific, unreal moment. I smoothed Dylan’s hair and kissed his forehead, searching his face for clues and finding none. Tom and I had brought a number of Dylan’s childhood stuffed animals, and we placed them in the coffin so they rested against his cheeks and neck. Byron and Tom and I held one another’s hands, and together we held Dylan’s. We were finally by his side, a family again."

anna444 and heytdm like this post

Back to top Go down

Victims Funerals  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victims Funerals    Victims Funerals  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 3:55 pm

I don't know if they can be posted here, but there is a photo from Isaiah's funeral and you can see that it is open casket. I believe Kelly's was also open casket and held at the same time as Daniel's funeral.
Back to top Go down
spinvault

spinvault

Contribution Points : 73353

Victims Funerals  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victims Funerals    Victims Funerals  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 4:21 pm

I have seen a picture of people filing by Kelly’s and Daniel’s caskets and the caskets were open. I think Tom Mauser said in his book that he agreed at the last minute to allow an open casket.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lunkhead McGrath

Contribution Points : 76161
Forum Reputation : 225

Victims Funerals  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victims Funerals    Victims Funerals  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 5:25 pm

Rachel's was open casket and Cullen sped down there in his car to get a peek. "So tiny! But so beautiful," he remarked in the 2016 addendum to his book
Back to top Go down
Onyx
Top Contributor
Onyx

Contribution Points : 49027
Forum Reputation : 378

Victims Funerals  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victims Funerals    Victims Funerals  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 6:39 pm

Lunkhead McGrath wrote:
Rachel's was open casket and Cullen sped down there in his car to get a peek.  "So tiny! But so beautiful," he remarked in the 2016 addendum to his book

That sounds creepy as hell pale

heytdm likes this post

Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193257
Forum Reputation : 1317

Victims Funerals  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victims Funerals    Victims Funerals  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 10:41 pm

Rachel's was closed until the very end according to Brooks's book, they opened it as people were leaving the church if I recall correctly.

Top Contributor
HanShotFirst

Contribution Points : 64362
Forum Reputation : 1210

Victims Funerals  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victims Funerals    Victims Funerals  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2019 6:32 am

Lunkhead McGrath wrote:
Rachel's was open casket and Cullen sped down there in his car to get a peek.  "So tiny! But so beautiful," he remarked in the 2016 addendum to his book
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Contribution Points : 75683

Victims Funerals  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victims Funerals    Victims Funerals  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2019 1:53 pm

Lunkhead McGrath wrote:

I've never heard that!
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 124084
Forum Reputation : 1001

Victims Funerals  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victims Funerals    Victims Funerals  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2019 2:56 pm

Apparently Brooks Brown stated in his book "No Easy Answers" that they opened Rachel's casket at the end of the service.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Victims Funerals  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victims Funerals    Victims Funerals  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2019 3:08 pm

sororityalpha wrote:
Apparently Brooks Brown stated in his book "No Easy Answers" that they opened Rachel's casket at the end of the service.

I wonder why they'd only open it at the end?
Back to top Go down
katherinex

Contribution Points : 61911
Forum Reputation : 125

Victims Funerals  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victims Funerals    Victims Funerals  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2019 3:26 pm

hvernon wrote:
sororityalpha wrote:

I wonder why they'd only open it at the end?

Would it be because it was televised? Surely though it would have even more impact having the casket open throughout regardless of it being televised.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Victims Funerals  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victims Funerals    Victims Funerals  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Victims Funerals
Page 1 of 1