Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Did they ever test their...

Go down 
+2
Screamingophelia
Imperator
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Imperator

Imperator

Contribution Points : 73245
Forum Reputation : 175

Did they ever test their... Empty
PostSubject: Did they ever test their...   Did they ever test their... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2019 3:02 pm

bombs? Not the crickets and pipe bombs but the propane ones?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did they ever test their...   Did they ever test their... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2019 4:13 pm

Ha, yes. In the commons.

Test failed.

Seriously, I think not. Although it seems curious, given how much thought and planning they put into the whole thing. I think i read somewhere the timers they used were being made differently up until not too long ago before the shooting. So maybe they did test the bombs and they worked originally, but new timers ruined it?
Back to top Go down
Imperator

Imperator

PostSubject: Re: Did they ever test their...   Did they ever test their... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2019 6:10 pm

That's why I'm curious. So much planning and so much relied on those propane bombs. They tested their crickets and pipe bombs but didn't bother to make sure a timer method on a propane tank would work?

I have stated for all their planning, they didn't plan as well as they believed.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193232
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Did they ever test their...   Did they ever test their... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2019 6:14 pm

I always assumed they didn’t try because Eric bought a propane tank that morning

PostSubject: Re: Did they ever test their...   Did they ever test their... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2019 6:23 pm

I figured Imperator meant if they tested the same setup on a different occasion (and different tank) some time before the shooting.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Yeah. As this was basically the crux of the plan, they approached it rather neglectfully. It's also possible they wanted to use a different type of bomb altogether and then decided for a new option (for a variety of possible reasons), albeit they didn't have time to test it properly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did they ever test their...   Did they ever test their... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2019 9:04 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
I always assumed they didn’t try because Eric bought a propane tank that morning

Yeah, I agree. The propane bombs were definitely not at all tested. Thankfully, they weren't tested. If they were they might have worked. I don't think they would have done the amount of damage that Eric or Dylan think they would have, but they still would likely have injured people had they been correctly made.
Back to top Go down
Imperator

Imperator

PostSubject: Re: Did they ever test their...   Did they ever test their... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2019 11:08 am

Quote :
The propane bombs were definitely not at all tested.
It does appear that way. I just don't remember seeing or reading anything that suggested they tested the timers at the minimum. Again for all their prep work this was the main method of creating a mass cas scenario. Baffled why Eric at least didn't take the time to ensure this would work. Hell they even took their guns to test them out. Although I'd be interested on how many times. I've seen the Rampart Range video and not to derail my own question/topic but thankfully they were more infatuated with the "look" on when firing their weapons and less on actual proficiency. They could have done even more damage if they had spent more time on proficiency since the bombs ended up failing.
Back to top Go down
ExCentro

Contribution Points : 52587
Forum Reputation : 55

PostSubject: Re: Did they ever test their...   Did they ever test their... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2019 5:34 pm

I'm surprised no one remembers reading it anywhere although I believe I did more than once. Now I don't think this was the source I'm thinking of but there the person claims they tested it before.

Quote :
The sheriff’s report stated: “Because of faulty wiring and poorly constructed devices, the twenty-pound propane bombs did not detonate.”

But that is only part of the story. Several reliable and credible sources told me the reason the propane bombs did not go off had to do with the clocks that were used as timers. The two killers bought one of the clocks to test and it worked to set off a test device. They later bought more of the same make and model of clock which they attached to the bombs they left in the cafeteria. But between the time they bought the first clock and the second batch, the manufacturer changed the hands from metal to plastic which did not complete the electrical circuit necessary to set off the bombs.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I feel like I read somewhere else that they had succesfully tested it but they failed later because the manufacturer changed it inbetween. I have no clue if that was a credible source either though, it was a long time ago.

Imperator

PostSubject: Re: Did they ever test their...   Did they ever test their... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2019 5:41 pm

I remember reading why the bombs didn't go off but not necessarily that they had tested them.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96174
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Did they ever test their...   Did they ever test their... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2019 9:29 am

I always found it interesting that Eric had very detailed notes on his pipe bomb tests. How they worked and how long they took to go off... but didn't test the big bomb

Onyx
Top Contributor
Onyx

Contribution Points : 49002
Forum Reputation : 378

PostSubject: Re: Did they ever test their...   Did they ever test their... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2019 2:44 pm

I remember one of their friends stated (I think Nate) that they were bragging that one of the bombs they tested had left a huge crater behind.
Back to top Go down
Imperator

Imperator

PostSubject: Re: Did they ever test their...   Did they ever test their... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2019 6:16 pm

Onyx wrote:
I remember one of their friends stated (I think Nate) that they were bragging that one of the bombs they tested had left a huge crater behind.
a pipe bomb can do that depending on the size of the pipe bomb.
Back to top Go down
Miasmom1028

Miasmom1028

Contribution Points : 48332

PostSubject: Re: Did they ever test their...   Did they ever test their... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2019 9:49 am

patogen wrote:
Ha, yes. In the commons.

Test failed.

I am sorry...I laughed way to hard at this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did they ever test their...   Did they ever test their... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Did they ever test their...
Page 1 of 1