Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Saugus High School Shooting

Go down 
+8
DanielGardner
true_crime
joebox97
Carnifex879
Ankareth
School Massacre Archives
Tommy QTR
QuestionMark
12 posters
AuthorMessage
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120378
Forum Reputation : 3191

Saugus High School Shooting Empty
PostSubject: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 11:38 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quote :
At least six people were wounded in a shooting at Saugus High School when a gunman opened fire on the Santa Clarita campus early Thursday, authorities said.
The shooting was reported at the campus at 21900 Centurion Way sometime before 8 a.m., according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
Television footage from the scene showed teenagers walking in a line behind armed law enforcement officials with their arms raised in the air. Several students were placed on gurneys and transported to ambulances in the school’s parking lot.
Nearby Rosedell and Highland elementary schools were locked down as authorities searched for the shooter.

The suspect is described as a 15-year-old boy wearing a black hat and black clothing, sheriff’s officials said.

They haven't caught the perp yet. This is like Parkland all over again, with the shooter escaping police attention (so far).

Tommy QTR

Contribution Points : 91942
Forum Reputation : 575

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 12:57 pm

Shooter is dead [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And is suspected to be an Asian male dressed in all black.

-Lil Peep
Back to top Go down
School Massacre Archives

School Massacre Archives

Contribution Points : 66394
Forum Reputation : 248

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 1:02 pm

According to NBC, one female victim has died so far.

Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 1:53 pm

Tommy QTR wrote:

They've walked that back and asserted the shooter has been arrested. Allegedly the shooting took place before classes even started, which makes me wonder if it was a genuine rampage or if there was a personal motive.

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 3:14 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
Tommy QTR wrote:

They've walked that back and asserted the shooter has been arrested. Allegedly the shooting took place before classes even started, which makes me wonder if it was a genuine rampage or if there was a personal motive.

Yeah, I had read that not every kid was even at the school yet. It's kind of an odd time for a rampage... I dunno like if you wanted to kill a lot of people you'd want to wait until a bit later in the day I would think. It makes me think it is personal. Since one girl has died maybe she knew him? Ex or something?

Edit: A second victim has died. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Ankareth

Contribution Points : 42430
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 3:49 pm

Last edited by Ankareth on Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 4:13 pm

The suspects birthday was today apparently, if thats the case then thats one hell of a birthday bash!
Back to top Go down
Carnifex879
Hayden Jagst
Former Top 10 Contributor

Carnifex879

Contribution Points : 68247
Forum Reputation : 391
Location : Gretchen Whitler's People's Republic of "The Mitten"

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 4:16 pm

Ankareth wrote:
hvernon wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
Tommy QTR wrote:

Yeah, I had read that not every kid was even at the school yet. It's kind of an odd time for a rampage... I dunno like if you wanted to kill a lot of people you'd want to wait until a bit later in the day I would think. It makes me think it is personal. Since one girl has died maybe she knew him? Ex or something?

Edit: A second victim has died. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Yeah I could see it being something like that, The Sante Fe shooter killed a girl who rejected him I believe so its a possibility. Also I read he is in the hospital, I wonder if the wounds were self inflicted.

Apparently the suspect shot himself in the head, so I don’t think he’ll last much longer.

Ankareth

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 4:17 pm

Back to top Go down
joebox97

joebox97

Contribution Points : 69075
Forum Reputation : 255

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 4:25 pm

TheOne99 wrote:
The suspects birthday was today apparently, if thats the case then thats one hell of a birthday bash!

I always thought it would be cool to die on your birthday, grave stone would look a little weird
Back to top Go down
joebox97

joebox97

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 4:27 pm

Have they found a motive yet?
Back to top Go down
Ankareth

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 4:28 pm

Back to top Go down
joebox97

joebox97

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 4:34 pm

Ankareth wrote:
joebox97 wrote:
Have they found a motive yet?
No, not yet its mostly speculation but with it being his birthday it could just be him being fed up with life or that girl denying him or anything else really. I'll post something if they find out if someone doesn't do it before me.

This is actually why I came here, I refuse to listen to the media right now. I'm sure they will twist the story for more views/attention. Being such a small count, the time he did it, to me it seems like he was after certain people or person. Your guess makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Ankareth

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 5:12 pm

Back to top Go down
true_crime

true_crime

Contribution Points : 58549
Forum Reputation : 296

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 6:50 pm

This is just heartbreaking. He was 15 years old. That’s a child. You’re still trying to find your place in this crazy world. I work every day with children this age.

Today was his birthday.

Imagine how completely desperate , full of self-loathing and pain you must have to wake up the day of your birthday and the only thing on your mind is hurting yourself and hurting others. It’s unimaginable.

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 9:07 pm

Rumors are floating around that the shooter is brain dead and on life support.
Back to top Go down
Ankareth

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 9:08 pm

Last edited by Ankareth on Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 9:11 pm

Are we allowed to share the names of the victims?
Back to top Go down
Ankareth

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 9:13 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 9:16 pm

The female victim is believed to be Gracie Muehlberger. The male victim is Dominic Blackwell. There is no 3rd victim, the police clarified that on their Twitter.

This is information from a Facebook group I'm in that contains people that attend or have children attending the school. People have been sharing memorial stuff for Dominic. But there are just claims right now that the girl killed is Gracie.

Edit: Also, Nate's father was killed by a drunk driver about a year ago. That might have been the trigger for this shooting?

Last edited by hvernon on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ankareth

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 9:21 pm

Back to top Go down
true_crime

true_crime

PostSubject: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 9:54 pm

The female victim is believed to be Gracie Muehlberger. The male victim is Dominic Blackwell. There is no 3rd victim, the police clarified that on their Twitter.

This is information from a Facebook group I'm in that contains people that attend or have children attending the school. People have been sharing memorial stuff for Dominic. But there are just claims right now that the girl killed is Gracie.

Edit: Also, Nate's father was killed by a drunk driver about a year ago. That might have been the trigger for this shooting?

Nate’s father passed 3 years ago at 53 years old of a heart attack. His obituary is online. His mom also filed for divorce and for full custody shortly before that.

A friend stated that Nate hadn’t been acting like himself the past couple of days, claiming that he seemed down and depressed.

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 10:02 pm

true_crime wrote:

Nate’s father passed 3 years ago at 53 years old of a heart attack. His obituary is online. His mom also filed for divorce and for full custody shortly before that.

A friend stated that Nate hadn’t been acting like himself the past couple of days, claiming that he seemed down and depressed.

Hm.... that's interesting. All the news sites were reporting that his father was hit by a drunk driver. Perhaps just a rumor about the drunk driver then and news sites picked it up. The kids interviewed said the death really effected Nate. I bet that's what started this whole thing.

Edit: The father died in December of 2017... so it would be coming up on two years next month. I would guess that is the tipping point. An LA times article mentioned something about a spouse battery charge but then said I needed to subscribe to read. So not sure about that.
Back to top Go down
DanielGardner

DanielGardner

Contribution Points : 56375
Forum Reputation : 83

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 11:18 pm

In an abc news video they said his father died of a heart attack at the age of 55. Very curious what the motive turns out to be. I hope he survives so he can tell why he did it, or at least they find a note or journal or video or something explaining why.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 12:27 am

DanielGardner wrote:
In an abc news video they said his father died of a heart attack at the age of 55. Very curious what the motive turns out to be. I hope he survives so he can tell why he did it, or at least they find a note or journal or video or something explaining why.

Yeah, he definitely died that way. Not sure why so many outlets reported a wreck at first. With the two year anniversary next month, I have a feeling that he was just depressed and it drove him to do this.

I think he's on life support right now. So, I don't really think we will hear from him ever. Might be one of those shootings with no motive announced.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 2:18 am

Why is this getting more coverage than other shootings with 2-3 dead? Is it because it's California? Is  there just nothing going on in the news?
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 118783
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 4:23 am

He and I share a birthday. I was reading about this yesterday, on my birthday, and saw it was his birthday too.

Back to top Go down
Russianman

Russianman

Contribution Points : 52921
Forum Reputation : 157

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 7:57 am

Two school shootings in one day. 14 November was school shooting in Russia.
Back to top Go down
thelmar

thelmar

Contribution Points : 82757
Forum Reputation : 3068

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 8:15 am

Russianman wrote:
Two school shootings in one day. 14 November was school shooting in Russia.

It's terrible. At least the casualty count was low in that one, too, but that brings no comfort to the families of those who lost their lives.

Jenn wrote:
He and I share a birthday. I was reading about this yesterday, on my birthday, and saw it was his birthday too.

I hope the sad news didn't put too much of a damper on your birthday. Happy Belated!
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 10:48 am

Torque187 wrote:
Why is this getting more coverage than other shootings with 2-3 dead? Is it because it's California? Is  there just nothing going on in the news?

My guess is everyone's sick of the impeachment hearings.

Ankareth

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 1:09 pm

Last edited by Ankareth on Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
arnounymus

arnounymus

Contribution Points : 56838
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 4:37 pm

First things first: Belated Happy Birthday to you [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]!

Ankareth wrote:
There's what QuestionMark said and it was a school so it gets more attention, it could also have something to do with it being in California.

Since I am from Germany, may someone explain me, what this "It was in California" means? Honestly do not get why it would be more media-covered because of the state...
Back to top Go down
Ankareth

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 5:41 pm

Last edited by Ankareth on Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 8:55 pm

Nate has passed. The names of the victims have been released to the public now. I posted them earlier in this thread.
Back to top Go down
Ankareth

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 8:57 pm

Last edited by Ankareth on Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 8:59 pm

Ankareth wrote:
hvernon wrote:

Nate has passed. The names of the victims have been released to the public now. I posted them earlier in this thread.
Sort of unrelated to his death so I apologize but "The entire attack took just 16 seconds." that's just kind of insane to me I didn't know about that.

Yes, it all happened very quickly. Probably no one had time to react. He had no bullets left in the gun either. He seemingly knew that he had only one bullet left and used that to shoot himself.
Back to top Go down
true_crime

true_crime

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2019 12:43 am

[quote="hvernon"]
hvernon wrote:

Sort of unrelated to his death so I apologize but "The entire attack took just 16 seconds." that's just kind of insane to me I didn't know about that.

Yes, it all happened very quickly. Probably no one had time to react. He had no bullets left in the gun either. He seemingly knew that he had only one bullet left and used that to shoot himself.

I just noticed that the shooting lasted for 16 seconds on his 16th birthday 😧

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2019 11:52 am

true_crime wrote:

I just noticed that the shooting lasted for 16 seconds on his 16th birthday 😧

What a coincidence

Last edited by TheOne99 on Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : quote)
Back to top Go down
arnounymus

arnounymus

Contribution Points : 56838
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2019 2:53 pm

Thank you for your answer! I know understand it better. Also RIP to the people who died Sad
Back to top Go down
thelmar

thelmar

Contribution Points : 82757
Forum Reputation : 3068

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2019 8:13 am

Saw this article about Nathanial Berhow regarding how other Japanese and Japanese Americans feel about a Nikkei (a descendant of a Japanese emigrant) committing such a crime

J-TOWN BEAT: WHEN THE SHOOTER IS NIKKEI 0 Posted On NOVEMBER 22, 2019

By GWEN MURANAKA

Nathaniel Berhow joins a growing list of young men who have turned to guns and left carnage and horror in their wake.

Inevitably we ask, why did they do it? We comb through their Reddit or Instagram posts, ask if they were bullied or loners, if they were driven by racism or misogyny, or some other demon within. Usually a neighbor or classmate says the kid was quiet and “seemed nice.” Of course, the firearms are the common denominator.

It must be all the more terrifying for Japanese parents residing in the United States. Guns are so rare in Japan — and America’s toxic gun culture is one of the harder parts of our society to understand. How can Americans tolerate such daily violence? In Japan, a single incident of gun violence (usually committed by a member of the yakuza, since they’re the only people besides the police with access to guns) is enough to draw national headlines. Here that would barely be a blip on the local news.

Since the Nov. 14 attack, more than 20 people have died in California from gun violence.

During my time in Tokyo, I recall the headlines during the ’98 Nagano Olympics when biathletes were bringing their .22-caliber rifles and bullets for competition. Strict restrictions upset athletes who were unable to practice shooting. Local authorities made sure that each rifle was locked down, their serial numbers recorded, and bullets had to be registered.

Every single bullet.

When news spread that the shooter at Saugus High School was Japanese, there was a feeling of dread and nausea, that one of us could have perpetrated such horror. It is the worst possible way for a Nikkei to make the news.

For Japanese and Japanese Americans, Berhow could have been their son, grandson or nephew. A hapa kid, born to a white dad and Japanese mom, pretty much fits the description of many in our community. And so, there has been a level of sympathy in the JA community, particularly for his mother Mami Matsuura, who is now a member of a club no parent wants to join.

There were also signs of distress in the family including allegations of domestic violence, divorce and the sudden passing of Nathaniel’s father, Mark. None of it yields easy answers in the aftermath of such tragedy.

Sue Klebold, mother of Columbine shooter Dylan Klebold, wrote: “I wish I had known then what I know now: that it was possible for everything to seem fine with him when it was not, and that behaviors I mistook for a moody teenager were actually subtle signs of psychological deterioration.”

As a community we have rightfully praised the Issei pioneers who traveled from Japan so long ago. But there is another immigration story that is happening more recently.

Many of these new Issei pioneers are bright, talented women from Japan, drawn by freedoms and opportunities in America. Women like Mami Matsuura. The Shin Issei and Shin Nisei are the new Japanese American community, and organizations including The Rafu have to adapt to meet their needs. Organizations offering in-language services can help Shin Issei and Nisei cope with social isolation and offer an empathetic outlet for coping with cultural differences and finding vital social services.

When we held a Rafu roundtable discussion, UCLA anthropology professor Tritia Toyota said of this new generation: “There are so many challenges associated with the Shin Nisei, a generation that is multicultural and multiracial (and have) transnational fluidity because they have Shin Issei moms who are married to Americans.”

There is no hope if a society cannot protect its most vulnerable. Sadly, Japanese and Japanese Americans are not immune to the problems of gun violence in America.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saugus High School Shooting   Saugus High School Shooting Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Saugus High School Shooting
Page 1 of 1