Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dylan plays "himself" in his story?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 119108
Forum Reputation : 1004

Dylan plays "himself" in his story? Empty
PostSubject: Dylan plays "himself" in his story?   Dylan plays "himself" in his story? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 10:36 am

I got this from RPG and thought it was interesting. I don't think we've ever talked about this here before. What do you guys think about this? And yes, I may be a little biased because Ivan wrote it, but needless to say, I still think it would be a good discussion. Very Happy 

Ivan wrote:
I just glanced over Dylan's "gruesome" assignment, and from reading it I suspect he was "revealing" (or purposely leaking) some of his "plans" for NBK. He talked about duffel bags, knives, guns, preps and "the man looking like god".

I believe the "man in a trench coat" in the story was himself on his "shooting rampage". He obviously either wanted to brag about it before he did it, or wanted some help from teachers and other staff. Though, assuming Dylan really was the foul-mouthed, "sick" young man that he portrays himself as, I'd be leaning more towards option one.

Maybe Dylan was the "sick" one after all?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dylan plays "himself" in his story?   Dylan plays "himself" in his story? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 11:11 am

I think its pretty obvious, that the shooter in that story is Dylan himself. The perpetrator is tall, left-handed and wears the typical clothing, that Dylan wore all the time.
To be more specific, I think it would be correct to say, the the perpetrator is someone, Dylan wants to be, his ideal self. I remember, that I did read somewhere at this board, that Dylan was both the observer and the shooter in this story and that the plot really is about Dylan metamorphosis from the first to the second character. The shy, lost and anxious Dylan transforms into a godlike, powerful and frightening being.
He is not any longer a sad little boy, he is the God of Sadness.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dylan plays "himself" in his story?   Dylan plays "himself" in his story? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 11:22 am

Hale-Bopp wrote:
I think its pretty obvious, that the shooter in that story is Dylan himself. The perpetrator is tall, left-handed and wears the typical clothing, that Dylan wore all the time.
To be more specific, I think it would be correct to say, the the perpetrator is someone, Dylan wants to be, his ideal self. I remember, that I did read somewhere at this board, that Dylan was both the observer and the shooter in this story and that the plot really is about Dylan metamorphosis from the first to the second character. The shy, lost and anxious Dylan transforms into a godlike, powerful and frightening being.
He is not any longer a sad little boy, he is the God of Sadness.

Yep, agreed with all you say here and also that yes, it is pretty apparent that "the man in black" is his idealized alter ego. Interesting to note, this essay was found in the glovebox of his BMW. It's been speculated that Dylan purposely loaded it into his car along with all of his gear to read one last time and amp himself up during 'the holy April morning' of NBK. When Dylan imagined himself the avenger and equalizer.
Back to top Go down
maninthebox

Contribution Points : 99827
Forum Reputation : 8

PostSubject: Re: Dylan plays "himself" in his story?   Dylan plays "himself" in his story? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 11:29 am

I'm sure he was writing about himself, or rather the all-powerful persona he wanted to be.
As far as I remember, it was Eric who loved this whole foreshadowing thing - dropping hints to unsuspecting people who could only piece it all together afterwards. Dylan, I think, just enjoyed playing the character. I don't think he necessarily wanted to convey something with it, maybe just to fantasize about it cause it felt good? The same way he fantasized about his "love" like some sort of escapist drug.The real Dylan was insecure, weak and taking crap from people, I'm sure it felt good to imagine being this badass who could teach others not to mess with men like him.
Back to top Go down
maninthebox

Contribution Points : 99827
Forum Reputation : 8

PostSubject: Re: Dylan plays "himself" in his story?   Dylan plays "himself" in his story? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 11:30 am

As I was typing my reply, others already posted Smile Seems to be a consensus here!
Back to top Go down
tragedy79

Contribution Points : 102345
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Dylan plays "himself" in his story?   Dylan plays "himself" in his story? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 1:27 pm

I mentioned it in another topic: I indeed think that Dylan was both the narrative person and the shooter.

Krabbé also thinks that the "little prick" in the story could be (consiously or not) reference to Eric.

PostSubject: Re: Dylan plays "himself" in his story?   Dylan plays "himself" in his story? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 12:54 am

I think the "Dylan as observer as well as shooter" argument dovetails perfectly with the dissociative aspect of schizotypal PD that I have written about in the "Diagnosing Dylan Klebold" thread, blurring the lines between narrator and subject in the same manner, I think, that Dylan must have felt in his own life. The fact that this paper was found in Dylan's BMW after the massacre attests to the power this story and its meaning held to Dylan.
Back to top Go down
JayJay

Contribution Points : 97264

PostSubject: Re: Dylan plays "himself" in his story?   Dylan plays "himself" in his story? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 8:27 am

ThoughtBox wrote:
I think the "Dylan as observer as well as shooter" argument dovetails perfectly with the dissociative aspect of schizotypal PD that I have written about in the "Diagnosing Dylan Klebold" thread, blurring the lines between narrator and subject in the same manner, I think, that Dylan must have felt in his own life. The fact that this paper was found in Dylan's BMW after the massacre attests to the power this story and its meaning held to Dylan.

Well, pretty much any writer can figure for both the narrator and a character in his or her story. It's not necessarily a pointer of a disassociative trait nor of schizoid personality disorder.

"Is evil something you are? Or is it something you do? My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape."
- American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis (1991)
Back to top Go down
JayJay

Contribution Points : 97264

PostSubject: Re: Dylan plays "himself" in his story?   Dylan plays "himself" in his story? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 8:30 am

tragedy79 wrote:
I mentioned it in another topic: I indeed think that Dylan was both the narrative person and the shooter.

Krabbé also thinks that the "little prick" in the story could be (consiously or not) reference to Eric.

Razz  Ha, ha, I had to go back and reread that story.

The exact quote is: ''Yet, the comment I remember the most was uttered from the smallest of the group, obviously a cocky, power hungry prick.''

If that's not a stab at Eric, I wish it was! It fits perfectly. Smile

"Is evil something you are? Or is it something you do? My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape."
- American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis (1991)
Back to top Go down
Lifetime

Contribution Points : 102478

PostSubject: Re: Dylan plays "himself" in his story?   Dylan plays "himself" in his story? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 8:48 pm

JayJay wrote:
tragedy79 wrote:

Razz  Ha, ha, I had to go back and reread that story.

The exact quote is: ''Yet, the comment I remember the most was uttered from the smallest of the group, obviously a cocky, power hungry prick.''

If that's not a stab at Eric, I wish it was! It fits perfectly. Smile

From my understanding, Eric could be kind of bossy and he was the shortest of the group. So it would make sense.

PostSubject: Re: Dylan plays "himself" in his story?   Dylan plays "himself" in his story? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 10:24 pm

..the smallest of the group, obviously a cocky, power hungry prick

Wasn't Rocky Hoffschneider on the short side for a jock?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dylan plays "himself" in his story?   Dylan plays "himself" in his story? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 4:54 pm

He's listed as 6' 1" and 260 lbs.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dylan plays "himself" in his story?   Dylan plays "himself" in his story? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dylan plays "himself" in his story?
Page 1 of 1