Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Italian Unabomber

Go down 
AuthorMessage

The Italian Unabomber Empty
PostSubject: The Italian Unabomber   The Italian Unabomber Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2020 12:37 am

A creepy-yet interesting case I think you people might already heard from. The Italian Unabomber. I find him intriguing, mainly because of his disguised booby-trap bombs in innocent objects and his mysterious thrill to committ the bombings.

Short description from Wikipedia:

"The Italian Unabomber placed small booby-trapped objects in public spaces in Veneto and Friuli-Venezia Giulia which were designed to detonate when handled by a passerby and seriously injure but not kill the victim. The Italian Unabomber was named by the international press in reference to Ted Kaczynski, the American Neo-Luddite terrorist and mail bomber known as the "Unabomber", but the Italian bomber made no political or economic demands. Over 20 explosive devices were attributed to the Italian Unabomber and resulted in numerous people receiving injuries including the removal of digits and limbs.

On August 28, 2006, Italian police raided the house of Elvo Zornitta, a 49-year-old engineer, who had been under surveillance for a year with assistance from the United States' Federal Bureau of Investigation. In January 2009, after years of investigations, the case was dropped after the prosecutors asked for its dismissal, for lack of evidence. Zornitta received €2,500,000 as compensation for his arrest and trial which included false evidence."

Italian Unabomber - Wikipedia

I found a write-up on UnresolvedMysteries subreddit on Reddit that's really informative: Monabomber: booby trapped nutella jars and votive candles (reddit)

A particular incident which caught my attention was the egg bomb, described below:
"A man buys an egg carton at the supermarket "Continente" of Portogruaro. When he brings it home, he notices wires coming from the carton. He contacts the police, who find that one of the eggs had been boiled, cut in half, filled with an explosive device and glued back together before being put on the shelf again."

In 2004 Elvo Zornitta had his house searched and after another suspect had described him as a "bomb expert", they subsequently find household items that were compatible with items used by Monabomber, like empty BIC pens and bottles of a popular brand of vanilla essence, both of which had been used by the bomber. They also find firecrackers that were missing their gun powder — Zornitta justified them by saying that he had tried to DIY a firework fountain, which didn’t work out.

However, DNA found in the egg from 2000 did not match Zornitta. Plus, the man had a solid alibi for at least two of the attacks.

Zornitta's defense lawyer requests another toolmark analysis, especially of the very first pictures taken of the bomb in 2004. What they find is shocking: no cuts were found in the first pictures - the cuts had been added after the scissors had been retrieved from Zornitta's house. The blame falls on Ezio Zernar, the investigator who had "found" the cuts in the first place. Zernar is sentenced to two years for forging evidence, and Zornitta is officially dismissed as a suspect in 2009.

I don't know but I'm having a feeling that a thread about the Italian Unabomber may had been posted here. Can someone confirm if there's already a post on him? If yes, I'm deleting this thread.

The reason I could not write more about him is that my Internet is a bit crappy at the moment, so I decided to put the basic details here. But, if you want a complete write-up, check the Reddit link I posted above.

Regards.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Italian Unabomber   The Italian Unabomber Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2020 6:41 pm

Funnily enough I just heard about this case like the day before while looking for unabomber copycats.
I say him simply maiming his victims rather than outright murdering them is to make them remember him until the day they die or perhaps its to prolong their suffering mentally after the initial blast.
His motivation was probably just to make the headlines of the newspaper & be remembered for the years to come like this right now for example since we're talking about him 10+ years after the bombings.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Italian Unabomber   The Italian Unabomber Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2020 7:06 pm

Amok Täter wrote:
Funnily enough I just heard about this case like the day before while looking for unabomber copycats.
I say him simply maiming his victims rather than outright murdering them is to make them remember him until the day they die or perhaps its to prolong their suffering mentally after the initial blast.
His motivation was probably just to make the headlines of the newspaper & be remembered for the years to come like this right now for example since we're talking about him 10+ years after the bombings.
About Unabomber copycats, I remembered of Jorge Mirandola, who injured diplomat Andréia Cristina Rigueira David in 1995 with a letter bomb in Brazil. Apparently he sent her many threatening letters, and in one of them he mentioned the then-uncaptured Unabomber, saying that "Unabomber is in São Paulo", etc, and mentioning the bombings in Nagasaki and Hiroshima. However he was later acquitted because evidence was circumstancial. If you are interested in the case, there are 22 newspaper reports in Portuguese about the incident and how it uncovered. You can see it in this link. You can ask me if you want some of the information in those reports translated to English by me, if you want.

The theory about his motivation is in all probability correct. The bombings didn't make any sense really, maybe it was just a person with advanced skills in chemistry wanting to poke fun at others in a bad manner if you understand me.

Greetings!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Italian Unabomber   The Italian Unabomber Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Italian Unabomber
Page 1 of 1