Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
 

 Adam Lanza's motive

Go down 
AuthorMessage
SaucyJimmy

SaucyJimmy

Posts : 43
Contribution Points : 35177
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2017-05-16

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 3:12 pm

There's no such thing as bad. Good and bad are fairy tales. We have evolved to attach an emotional significance to what is nothing more than the survival strategy of the pack animal. We are conditioned to invest divinity in utility. Good isn't really good, evil isn't really wrong, bottoms aren't really pretty. You are a prisoner of your own meat.

Why aren't you?

I'm too clever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DF978

DF978

Posts : 195
Contribution Points : 7767
Forum Reputation : 5
Join date : 2020-11-04
Age : 15
Location : Murica’

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 5:15 pm

Is this what you think can give an idea what Adam's motive was? Interesting. Though why would he want to target an elementary school?

_________________
I hate having homicidal thoughts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Scowail

Scowail

Posts : 14
Contribution Points : 3223
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2020-11-02

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 5:19 pm

Extreme mental illness, social isolation and malnutrition.
He clearly needed help, but no one bothered.

There really isn't a clear motive.

c0yn1n3 likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
pluviam

pluviam

Posts : 68
Contribution Points : 4264
Forum Reputation : 3
Join date : 2020-11-07
Age : 18
Location : southern hemisphere

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 8:15 pm

Targeting an elementary school was the biggest possible 'fuck you' to society and its morals. Lanza loathed society and civilization to the point where he equated it with rape. He regarded schools – particularly elementary schools, as indoctrination centres where the innocent, malleable minds of children are corrupted into accepting this 'perverse' state of existence.

Not only could he disrupt the institution he perceived as evil, but he could also exemplify his rage towards humanity in the most emphatic way possible: slaughtering its most vulnerable members.

_________________
suspicion and contempt for all things civilian


Last edited by pluviam on Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total

cultofdreams, Carnifex879, Ex_nihilo, Kinkeloukaitis, gayforwilla, treehouseofhorror, Blue and like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
MurdocNiccals

MurdocNiccals

Posts : 40
Contribution Points : 5063
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2020-10-09

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 8:40 pm

in my eyes, adam was quite isolated, this isolation grew. he ended up hating society and everything it stood for. the culmination of all his rage was directed at elementary schools, as he viewed schools as the 'indoctrination' into this 'horrible' society. while there isn't a clear motive, i believe that his isolation and other extreme mental issues eventually led to sandy hook.

_________________
"i'll always be here for you, baby, rain or shine, you'll always be mine"

pluviam, Blue and Mr Bubbless like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
lognifiiskurk

lognifiiskurk

Posts : 217
Contribution Points : 17474
Forum Reputation : 25
Join date : 2020-07-18

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2020 6:15 pm

i remember seeing something that said that he wanted to do something infamous and so killing children would get that for him. i'm not sure whether that is true although i do think his mental issues had a hand in what adam eventually did

_________________
“I don't wanna kill anybody. But if I gotta get out that door, and you're standing in my way, one way or the other, you're gettin' outta my way.” - Mr Pink
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
gayforwilla



Posts : 39
Contribution Points : 8842
Forum Reputation : 18
Join date : 2020-06-11
Location : where you aren't

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2020 4:52 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Targeting an elementary school was the biggest possible 'fuck you' to society and its morals. Lanza loathed society and civilization to the point where he equated it with rape. He regarded schools; particularly elementary schools, as indoctrination centers where the innocent, malleable minds of children are corrupted into accepting this 'perverse' state of existence.

Not only could he disrupt the institution he perceived as evil, but he could also exemplify his rage towards humanity in the most emphatic way possible: slaughtering its most vulnerable members.
That's actually what I often try to say too, and I think that's the most accurate motive, because every other motive would just make no sense, like fame or something.

Maybe he too just saw it like killing these children would be better than raising up and getting "mind-fucked" and "raped", so they don't need to go through that suffering, he probably did.

_________________
I incessantly have nothing other than scorn for humanity. I have been desperate to feel anything positive for someone for my entire life.

treehouseofhorror and pluviam like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ossetia

Ossetia

Posts : 88
Contribution Points : 5863
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2020-08-30

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 7:30 am

We can speculate and theorise, but we will never have a concrete motive for the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gayforwilla



Posts : 39
Contribution Points : 8842
Forum Reputation : 18
Join date : 2020-06-11
Location : where you aren't

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 7:47 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
We can speculate and theorise, but we will never have a concrete motive for the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.
Yes, that's quite what we do with every shooting, well, with every shooting where the perpetrator died.
But that's why this is "A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes." Smile

And btw, I think it's pretty interesting to discuss with other persons on this topic, because you maybe'll get a new view on things, you always saw the same way.

_________________
I incessantly have nothing other than scorn for humanity. I have been desperate to feel anything positive for someone for my entire life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ivan



Posts : 4597
Contribution Points : 91502
Forum Reputation : 190
Join date : 2013-03-15

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2020 9:21 pm

I think he couldn't handle his attraction to small children. The evidence is there.

Mr Bubbless dislikes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor


Posts : 1003
Contribution Points : 46597
Forum Reputation : 240
Join date : 2018-12-06

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2020 5:08 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
We can speculate and theorise, but we will never have a concrete motive for the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.
Yes, that's quite what we do with every shooting, well, with every shooting where the perpetrator died.
But that's why this is "A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes." Smile

And btw, I think it's pretty interesting to discuss with other persons on this topic, because you maybe'll get a new view on things, you always saw the same way.


Not all of them. Brenda Spencer, Andrew Golden and Mitchell Johnson, TJ Lane, Nikolas Cruz, Dimitrous Pagourtzis, Kip Kinkel, Luke Woodham. They survived.


But, yes, normally they kill themselves.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gayforwilla



Posts : 39
Contribution Points : 8842
Forum Reputation : 18
Join date : 2020-06-11
Location : where you aren't

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2020 5:12 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
We can speculate and theorise, but we will never have a concrete motive for the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.
Yes, that's quite what we do with every shooting, well, with every shooting where the perpetrator died.
But that's why this is "A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes." Smile

And btw, I think it's pretty interesting to discuss with other persons on this topic, because you maybe'll get a new view on things, you always saw the same way.


Not all of them. Brenda Spencer, Andrew Golden and Mitchell Johnson, TJ Lane, Nikolas Cruz, Dimitrous Pagourtzis, Kip Kinkel, Luke Woodham. They survived.


But, yes, normally they kill themselves.
I mean, I never said that everyone killed theirself, just, that we just can speculate in every case, where the perpetrator died.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2020 7:20 pm

Motive: Autism
Back to top Go down
gayforwilla



Posts : 39
Contribution Points : 8842
Forum Reputation : 18
Join date : 2020-06-11
Location : where you aren't

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2020 7:23 pm

eldigato wrote:
Motive: Autism
Very true.

_________________
I incessantly have nothing other than scorn for humanity. I have been desperate to feel anything positive for someone for my entire life.

Mr Bubbless dislikes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor


Posts : 1003
Contribution Points : 46597
Forum Reputation : 240
Join date : 2018-12-06

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2020 10:18 pm

Most autistic people are hardly violent so that cannot be classified as a motive.

cultofdreams and Mr Bubbless like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2020 10:20 pm

@Norwegian wrote:
Most autistic people are hardly violent so that cannot be classified as a motive.

‘‘Twas sarcasm. I’m autistic myself
Back to top Go down
gayforwilla



Posts : 39
Contribution Points : 8842
Forum Reputation : 18
Join date : 2020-06-11
Location : where you aren't

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2020 7:49 am

eldigato wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Most autistic people are hardly violent so that cannot be classified as a motive.

‘‘Twas sarcasm. I’m autistic myself
Actually true, everyone with autism is commiting homicide. I'll just stay away from you.

_________________
I incessantly have nothing other than scorn for humanity. I have been desperate to feel anything positive for someone for my entire life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2020 8:17 am

@gayforwilla wrote:
eldigato wrote:
@Norwegian wrote:
Most autistic people are hardly violent so that cannot be classified as a motive.

‘‘Twas sarcasm. I’m autistic myself
Actually true, everyone with autism is commiting homicide. I'll just stay away from you.

You never know when the tism will break lose and snap. This is a hanging thread!
Back to top Go down
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor


Posts : 1003
Contribution Points : 46597
Forum Reputation : 240
Join date : 2018-12-06

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2020 1:28 pm

eldigato wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Most autistic people are hardly violent so that cannot be classified as a motive.

‘‘Twas sarcasm. I’m autistic myself
.

Its good to see that people can make fun of this, because there are some really horrible people out there that are inherently mean towards people with autism.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gayforwilla



Posts : 39
Contribution Points : 8842
Forum Reputation : 18
Join date : 2020-06-11
Location : where you aren't

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2020 1:32 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
eldigato wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Most autistic people are hardly violent so that cannot be classified as a motive.

‘‘Twas sarcasm. I’m autistic myself
.

Its good to see that people can make fun of this, because there are some really horrible people out there that are inherently mean towards people with autism.
I never meant to offense anyone. It was simply a joke, and we are on the internet, and you shouldn't take something serious, which a random person on the internet is writing. Sure, there are humans that are mean to them, but my message doesn't have anything to do with it, because I don't discriminate autistic people like them.

_________________
I incessantly have nothing other than scorn for humanity. I have been desperate to feel anything positive for someone for my entire life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ossetia

Ossetia

Posts : 88
Contribution Points : 5863
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2020-08-30

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2020 3:10 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Its good to see that people can make fun of this, because there are some really horrible people out there that are inherently mean towards people with autism.
I'm autistic, and something that I'll tell you is this: there is also a huge number of autistic people that always and constantly see themselves as the victim, even when they may not be.

Also, I hope that you saying "people with autism", like you did there, isn't something that you pointedly do whenever referring to autistic people. It has no meaning. You don't need to specify that we're people, despite what some of the "I'm-the-victim" autistic people may claim.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2020 3:30 pm

@Ossetia wrote:
@Norwegian wrote:
Its good to see that people can make fun of this, because there are some really horrible people out there that are inherently mean towards people with autism.
I'm autistic, and something that I'll tell you is this: there is also a huge number of autistic people that always and constantly see themselves as the victim, even when they may not be.

Also, I hope that you saying "people with autism", like you did there, isn't something that you pointedly do whenever referring to autistic people. It has no meaning. You don't need to specify that we're people, despite what some of the "I'm-the-victim" autistic people may claim.

Autism has had an impact on my life greatly but I don't consider myself a victim. Hate when people try to treat me like I'm not capable of providing for myself.
Back to top Go down
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor


Posts : 1003
Contribution Points : 46597
Forum Reputation : 240
Join date : 2018-12-06

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2020 6:05 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Its good to see that people can make fun of this, because there are some really horrible people out there that are inherently mean towards people with autism.
I'm autistic, and something that I'll tell you is this: there is also a huge number of autistic people that always and constantly see themselves as the victim, even when they may not be.

Also, I hope that you saying "people with autism", like you did there, isn't something that you pointedly do whenever referring to autistic people. It has no meaning. You don't need to specify that we're people, despite what some of the "I'm-the-victim" autistic people may claim.

Its more in the direction that they make hateful comments about autism. Not many people, from what I have observed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor


Posts : 1003
Contribution Points : 46597
Forum Reputation : 240
Join date : 2018-12-06

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2020 6:13 pm

AMOG wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Its good to see that people can make fun of this, because there are some really horrible people out there that are inherently mean towards people with autism.
I'm autistic, and something that I'll tell you is this: there is also a huge number of autistic people that always and constantly see themselves as the victim, even when they may not be.

Also, I hope that you saying "people with autism", like you did there, isn't something that you pointedly do whenever referring to autistic people. It has no meaning. You don't need to specify that we're people, despite what some of the "I'm-the-victim" autistic people may claim.

Autism has had an impact on my life greatly but I don't consider myself a victim. Hate when people try to treat me like I'm not capable of providing for myself.

I wasnt trying to make people with autism childlike. Im am well aware that many of them can make their own choices in life.

My point is that there is this assumption out there amongst some people that Lanza, Breivik etc did what they did because they have autism and over the assumption that people with autism lack empathy. To my knowledge autism is very diverse, and it affects people very differently. And also, what evidence is there that people w autism lack empathy? IDK wether this is true. A lot of people Ive spoken with have a lot of empathy for others.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ossetia

Ossetia

Posts : 88
Contribution Points : 5863
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2020-08-30

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2020 7:05 pm

N/A


Last edited by Ossetia on Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sturmer likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
margaflor

margaflor

Posts : 137
Contribution Points : 18022
Forum Reputation : 50
Join date : 2019-09-21
Age : 18

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2020 6:08 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
AMOG wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Its good to see that people can make fun of this, because there are some really horrible people out there that are inherently mean towards people with autism.
I'm autistic, and something that I'll tell you is this: there is also a huge number of autistic people that always and constantly see themselves as the victim, even when they may not be.

Also, I hope that you saying "people with autism", like you did there, isn't something that you pointedly do whenever referring to autistic people. It has no meaning. You don't need to specify that we're people, despite what some of the "I'm-the-victim" autistic people may claim.

Autism has had an impact on my life greatly but I don't consider myself a victim. Hate when people try to treat me like I'm not capable of providing for myself.

I wasnt trying to make people with autism childlike. Im am well aware that many of them can make their own choices in life.

My point is that there is this assumption out there amongst some people that Lanza, Breivik etc did what they did because they have autism and over the assumption that people with autism lack empathy. To my knowledge autism is very diverse, and it affects people very differently. And also, what evidence is there that people w autism lack empathy? IDK wether this is true. A lot of people Ive spoken with have a lot of empathy for others.

You are right that autism is very diverse, although in many cases they tend not to feel empathy, I do not see it by much to a motive to commit murder. I was very angry when some supposed "psychologist" from my country who interviewed to analyze the Lanza profile blamed Asperger's syndrome, it really seems an insult to those people. It is very different to lack empathy in certain situations than to commit a terrible mass murder. Asperger syndrome does not make you murder people, to say that is very serious. Obviously he throws murderer for different psychological factors in which I believe that Asperger's syndrome was not the central cause of them not by much.

Norwegian likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Mr Bubbless

Mr Bubbless

Posts : 6
Contribution Points : 926
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2021-02-01
Location : STRAYA

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 9:08 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
i remember seeing something that said that he wanted to do something infamous and so killing children would get that for him. i'm not sure whether that is true although i do think his mental issues had a hand in what adam eventually did

Honestly I greatly doubt your statement because if he truly wanted to be “famous/infamous” there’s no way he would have taken so many steps in order to obscure his path and who he was, he basically committed virtual suicide, you could use this argument the other way and say that it would be him trying to make himself more “mysterious” but I don’t buy that theory. There are much greater possible alternatives for his motive than “he just wanted to be famous”, I think generalising such a complicated incident down to one theory that’s merely anecdotal, is ignorant. That being said what you brought up should not be entirely dismissed just because the evidence suggest against it, but rather that it’s just kind of a weak point to grasp at in comparison to the complexity of the circumstances.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor


Posts : 1003
Contribution Points : 46597
Forum Reputation : 240
Join date : 2018-12-06

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2021 4:08 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
i remember seeing something that said that he wanted to do something infamous and so killing children would get that for him. i'm not sure whether that is true although i do think his mental issues had a hand in what adam eventually did

Honestly I greatly doubt your statement because if he truly wanted to be “famous/infamous” there’s no way he would have taken so many steps in order to obscure his path and who he was, he basically committed virtual suicide, you could use this argument the other way and say that it would be him trying to make himself more “mysterious” but I don’t buy that theory. There are much greater possible alternatives for his motive than “he just wanted to be famous”, I think generalising such a complicated incident down to one theory that’s merely anecdotal, is ignorant. That being said what you brought up should not be entirely dismissed just because the evidence suggest against it, but rather that it’s just kind of a weak point to grasp at in comparison to the complexity of the circumstances.


Usually, all kinds of factors play a role. But some experts argue that fame is part of it. In the sense that it doesnt matter that its for the wrong reasons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
majipan



Posts : 5
Contribution Points : 285
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2021-02-23

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2021 12:15 pm

I think it was a combination of factors, but I seriously don't think Adam Lanza had some grand ideological motive or that the shooting was extensively planned. I think it was a lot more impromptu than people think. By the end he was also malnourished, extremely isolated and probably suffering from psychosis and delusions. I think he wanted to kill himself and decided to take some other people with him, and elementary schoolers probably made an easy target.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pluviam

pluviam

Posts : 68
Contribution Points : 4264
Forum Reputation : 3
Join date : 2020-11-07
Age : 18
Location : southern hemisphere

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2021 8:07 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I think it was a combination of factors, but I seriously don't think Adam Lanza had some grand ideological motive or that the shooting was extensively planned. I think it was a lot more impromptu than people think. By the end he was also malnourished, extremely isolated and probably suffering from psychosis and delusions. I think he wanted to kill himself and decided to take some other people with him, and elementary schoolers probably made an easy target.
how can you think the shooting was "impromptu" when the abundance of evidence from his internet history contradicts this? he specifically alluded to a desire to become a mass shooter numerous times, photographed himself with the weapons he took to the school on the same day as one of these threats and had been comprehensively researching the topic since his early teens. i would be interested to see your reasoning as to how this could possibly have been anything other than a premeditated, carefully considered attack. 

as for the insanity case, it would be better to present actual evidence rather than make such an arbitrary statement as you did. we can see one instance where this is possible, namely his discussion with a forum member on a possible psychotic episode, but there is nothing to suggest that in the time leading up to the shooting he was experiencing something similar. he was perfectly lucid in an email to an internet pal written during his time, and such a claim it would need to be backed up by evidence of something more erratic than a temper tantrum (behaviour he routinely exhibited). 

that being said, i think it would be rash to discount the possibility of similar psychotic episodes occurring; i just don't think based on the info we have that we can say anything like this happened on dec. 14, especially in the face of adam's long term behavioural patterns and manifest preoccupation with homicide. 

on the ideological point, i think his contempt for humanity and societal structures provide more of an explanation as to the why, while he in my opinion at least somewhat justified his actions to himself with the anti-civ spiel, and while i don't necessarily agree with the an-prim stuff, i still recognize that it is far from delusional.

_________________
suspicion and contempt for all things civilian

Sturmer and c0yn1n3 like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
majipan



Posts : 5
Contribution Points : 285
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2021-02-23

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2021 9:01 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
how can you think the shooting was "impromptu" when the abundance of evidence from his internet history contradicts this? he specifically alluded to a desire to become a mass shooter numerous times, photographed himself with the weapons he took to the school on the same day as one of these threats and had been comprehensively researching the topic since his early teens. i would be interested to see your reasoning as to how this could possibly have been anything other than a premeditated, carefully considered attack. 

as for the insanity case, it would be better to present actual evidence rather than make such an arbitrary statement as you did. we can see one instance where this is possible, namely his discussion with a forum member on a possible psychotic episode, but there is nothing to suggest that in the time leading up to the shooting he was experiencing something similar. he was perfectly lucid in an email to an internet pal written during his time, and such a claim it would need to be backed up by evidence of something more erratic than a temper tantrum (behaviour he routinely exhibited). 

that being said, i think it would be rash to discount the possibility of similar psychotic episodes occurring; i just don't think based on the info we have that we can say anything like this happened on dec. 14, especially in the face of adam's long term behavioural patterns and manifest preoccupation with homicide. 

on the ideological point, i think his contempt for humanity and societal structures provide more of an explanation as to the why, while he in my opinion at least somewhat justified his actions to himself with the anti-civ spiel, and while i don't necessarily agree with the an-prim stuff, i still recognize that it is far from delusional.

I didn't claim it was entirely impromptu, but I don't believe he had some kind of set in stone plan. Most likely he had fantasies and a vague level of planning, but nothing extremely certain. It certainly wasn't an attack planned on the level of the Columbine shooting, and I don't think he was certain that his ultimate fate would be committing a mass murder. I believe he frequently considered it and fantasised about it, but whether or not to take actual action was a fairly late decision, I think. Things like the pictures of him in his gear or pointing the gun to his head doesn't neccessarily imply that he was inevitably going to go and do a shooting. I'm sure plenty of loners with an interest in mass murder have taken similar photographs and engaged heavily in fantasy, but never actually carried out an attack. In fact I'd wager cases like that are far more common than people who fantasise, plan and then actually go on to do shootings. I also didn't claim he was insane, mental health and delusion aren't black and white issues. He was lucid, but it's undeniable that he suffered from pretty heavy mental health issues and I don't think we should discount the psychosis just because he didn't talk about it that often. There's so much we don't know about Lanza's internal world, and he might not have shared a lot of it with others. We do know he was malnourished to the point of 'brain damage', was constantly isolated and had been through an extremely depressive episode through the summer. Whether or not he was actively psychotic during the shooting, I don't know and I don't think it's an assumption worth making.

I don't agree with the anprim stuff but I didn't say it was delusional either. I just don't think it was the main driving factor in why he executed his attack. You say I don't have much evidence for my claims, but there is little actual evidence that he attacked Sandy Hook for ideological reasons (or for pedophilic reasons like a lot of people think). He didn't leave behind any manifesto or motive, and most of the connections people draw between his ideology and the attack seem tenuous to me. I feel if he was on some kind of ideological crusade, he would have left a manifesto or something along those lines, especially since he was clearly very articulate and fully aware it would be widely broadcasted. Instead he actively obscured facts about himself, though I don't believe that was done in preparation for the shooting but just as routine.

His ideology may have played a certain part in justifying it to himself, but I don't believe it was what he saw as the main reason to do the attack. Like I said, I think he was suicidal because his life was only deteriorating further and further, and he decided to take some people with him. This isn't me claiming the shooting was just because of 'mental illness' though, I'm saying that I think he was driven to it through a combination of factors and that his personal beliefs played a minor role, and that the shooting wasn't some kind of masterplan he had been formulating for years or months, but a fantasy he had cultivated in his head that he chose to act on fairly late.

Comedyshortsgamer likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
pluviam

pluviam

Posts : 68
Contribution Points : 4264
Forum Reputation : 3
Join date : 2020-11-07
Age : 18
Location : southern hemisphere

Adam Lanza's motive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adam Lanza's motive   Adam Lanza's motive Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2021 5:20 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
how can you think the shooting was "impromptu" when the abundance of evidence from his internet history contradicts this? he specifically alluded to a desire to become a mass shooter numerous times, photographed himself with the weapons he took to the school on the same day as one of these threats and had been comprehensively researching the topic since his early teens. i would be interested to see your reasoning as to how this could possibly have been anything other than a premeditated, carefully considered attack. 

as for the insanity case, it would be better to present actual evidence rather than make such an arbitrary statement as you did. we can see one instance where this is possible, namely his discussion with a forum member on a possible psychotic episode, but there is nothing to suggest that in the time leading up to the shooting he was experiencing something similar. he was perfectly lucid in an email to an internet pal written during his time, and such a claim it would need to be backed up by evidence of something more erratic than a temper tantrum (behaviour he routinely exhibited). 

that being said, i think it would be rash to discount the possibility of similar psychotic episodes occurring; i just don't think based on the info we have that we can say anything like this happened on dec. 14, especially in the face of adam's long term behavioural patterns and manifest preoccupation with homicide. 

on the ideological point, i think his contempt for humanity and societal structures provide more of an explanation as to the why, while he in my opinion at least somewhat justified his actions to himself with the anti-civ spiel, and while i don't necessarily agree with the an-prim stuff, i still recognize that it is far from delusional.

I didn't claim it was entirely impromptu, but I don't believe he had some kind of set in stone plan. Most likely he had fantasies and a vague level of planning, but nothing extremely certain. It certainly wasn't an attack planned on the level of the Columbine shooting, and I don't think he was certain that his ultimate fate would be committing a mass murder. I believe he frequently considered it and fantasised about it, but whether or not to take actual action was a fairly late decision, I think. Things like the pictures of him in his gear or pointing the gun to his head doesn't neccessarily imply that he was inevitably going to go and do a shooting. I'm sure plenty of loners with an interest in mass murder have taken similar photographs and engaged heavily in fantasy, but never actually carried out an attack. In fact I'd wager cases like that are far more common than people who fantasise, plan and then actually go on to do shootings. I also didn't claim he was insane, mental health and delusion aren't black and white issues. He was lucid, but it's undeniable that he suffered from pretty heavy mental health issues and I don't think we should discount the psychosis just because he didn't talk about it that often. There's so much we don't know about Lanza's internal world, and he might not have shared a lot of it with others. We do know he was malnourished to the point of 'brain damage', was constantly isolated and had been through an extremely depressive episode through the summer. Whether or not he was actively psychotic during the shooting, I don't know and I don't think it's an assumption worth making.

I don't agree with the anprim stuff but I didn't say it was delusional either. I just don't think it was the main driving factor in why he executed his attack. You say I don't have much evidence for my claims, but there is little actual evidence that he attacked Sandy Hook for ideological reasons (or for pedophilic reasons like a lot of people think). He didn't leave behind any manifesto or motive, and most of the connections people draw between his ideology and the attack seem tenuous to me. I feel if he was on some kind of ideological crusade, he would have left a manifesto or something along those lines, especially since he was clearly very articulate and fully aware it would be widely broadcasted. Instead he actively obscured facts about himself, though I don't believe that was done in preparation for the shooting but just as routine.

His ideology may have played a certain part in justifying it to himself, but I don't believe it was what he saw as the main reason to do the attack. Like I said, I think he was suicidal because his life was only deteriorating further and further, and he decided to take some people with him. This isn't me claiming the shooting was just because of 'mental illness' though, I'm saying that I think he was driven to it through a combination of factors and that his personal beliefs played a minor role, and that the shooting wasn't some kind of masterplan he had been formulating for years or months, but a fantasy he had cultivated in his head that he chose to act on fairly late.
Right, I think I might’ve misinterpreted a couple of your original points. When you mention psychosis, is this in reference to his direct motivation or a contributing factor to his mental deterioration in the more general sense? My previous point on that was under the assumption of the former, so if not I would agree with some of your other comments about his decline. I just don’t think his “motive” was a direct result of psychosis given that he had a sustained interest in the mass murder and history of concerning online activity. 

When most people (including myself) reference the ideological aspects when discussing Adam’s motivations, we don’t mean to frame it as some sort of anarchist terrorist attack. He gave the impression that mass murder and anti-civ were the two pervading issues he cared about more than any other, and from a lot of his writings, it can be inferred that he blamed his depression on the ol’ industrial system. I think it’s a fair assumption to make that his own experience in school was fundamental to shaping this worldview. Also, there are instances where he correlated the two topics: he was interested in mass murder in the context of the perpetrators being victims of society themselves, in the sense that they had been “taken out of their environment” and been put through psychological torture. To support this, we have the testimony of one of Adam’s online friends, who indicated that she believed he thought he was “saving them” and “taking them away from harmful influences”. The point I’m getting at is, pretty much, I believe Adam used all of this to allow him to externalize the blame for his mental suffering, meaning that it was them at fault, therefore it should be them who pay the price. 

Finally, on the point of advanced planning, we can see that unlike the Columbine shooters, Adam didn’t leave any journals filled with blueprints or a step by step plan or anything along those lines, which I will attribute to the lack of need for such a thing given the attack he carried out wasn’t too complicated and didn’t need to be. What I was referencing before was an underlying prolonged desire to enact violence on strangers. If one of these “loners with an interest in an attack” didn’t back out, I would call that premeditation also. It’s just like how many kids will draw blueprints of their school for a Columbine-style attack, but they don’t do it because they aren’t serious. Adam was serious, therefore I equate his interest to premeditated planning. This might come down to subjective definitions of the word, but I stand by it regardless. I certainly agree that he probably never had 14/12/2012 in his head as the day he would die, but more that he was a time bomb that had been waiting for years to go off. 

_________________
suspicion and contempt for all things civilian

Sturmer likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
 
Adam Lanza's motive
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Other Crimes :: Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting-
Jump to: