Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Are school shootings "old news" now?

Go down 
+8
NEXT STEP UP
DanielBryer
lognifiiskurk
QuestionMark
Carnifex879
D3TROIT40OZ313
Lunkhead McGrath
remrem25
12 posters
AuthorMessage

Are school shootings "old news" now? Empty
PostSubject: Are school shootings "old news" now?   Are school shootings "old news" now? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 1:05 pm

Are school shootings so "yesterday"?

Remember in the 90's and 2000's when people would actually be shocked by school shootings. Now it seems like there's one every other month. They've become old news and uncreative. People usually do them because they desire fame and notoriety but how many fan clubs are there for Adam Lanza, Nicolas Cruz or any of the modern school shooters compared to Eric and Dylan for instance? It seems like Eric and Dylan were the OG's of this trend. They were the first and they made it "a thing". With christian culture and Marilyn Manson being blamed for everything it seemed that this peaked in the 90's and 2000's for some reason.

Somebody recently made a video and made a really good point on school shootings that we've become so use to them now that they just seem "uncreative" and copycat like with absolutely no thought put into them. Now, to be famous you either have to have a high body count or make what you do really different.

Back to top Go down
remrem25

remrem25

Contribution Points : 44760
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Are school shootings "old news" now?   Are school shootings "old news" now? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 2:49 pm

I agree that they are more common place today then maybe twenty years ago, but I don't think they are done to become famous (perhaps some are). I believe the perpetrators use this as a platform to be heard or voice their frustration or hatred. So many of these school shootings took place at time when bullying was not taken seriously or these kids felt like no one was hearing them or seeing them in the main stream hierarchy of the student body, so in an effort to be "heard" they commit these acts as statements.

Not saying you or the video is wring, just my two cents.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lunkhead McGrath

Contribution Points : 75936
Forum Reputation : 225

PostSubject: Re: Are school shootings "old news" now?   Are school shootings "old news" now? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 5:15 pm

That is precisely why--because we've grown extra sick of them and insulated against them emotionally. I can't even name the perpetrators of the last few.
And of course Columbine had the teen soap opera element that plays on the mind of anyone who has any bad memories of high school whatsoever.

I thought COVID had kind of put a damper on shootings anyway.

QuestionMark and Carnifex879 like this post

Back to top Go down
D3TROIT40OZ313

Contribution Points : 29370

PostSubject: Re: Are school shootings "old news" now?   Are school shootings "old news" now? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2021 12:43 pm

I think with covid going on the school shootings will slow down for the next few years, especially with the extra presence in a lot of American schools out there as well. I don’t think they’ll completely die down though.

Carnifex879 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Carnifex879
Hayden Jagst
Former Top 10 Contributor

Carnifex879

Contribution Points : 68047
Forum Reputation : 391
Location : Gretchen Whitler's People's Republic of "The Mitten"

PostSubject: Re: Are school shootings "old news" now?   Are school shootings "old news" now? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2021 8:51 pm

It always gets swept under the rug when a major shooting doesn't happen for awhile (mass murders in schools are extremely rare so these periods are usually long), but whenever it DOES happen, the media will sensationalize it, people will discuss it, and politicians will start doing their thing.

QuestionMark, D3TROIT40OZ313 and ANOMIC like this post

Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120178
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Are school shootings "old news" now?   Are school shootings "old news" now? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 1:33 am

Carnifex879 wrote:
It always gets swept under the rug when a major shooting doesn't happen for awhile (mass murders in schools are extremely rare so these periods are usually long), but whenever it DOES happen, the media will sensationalize it, people will discuss it, and politicians will start doing their thing.

And considering how partisan politics has gotten, when the politicians start coming out with new plans and policies it means a lot more acrimony than ever before.

Back to top Go down
Carnifex879
Hayden Jagst

Carnifex879

PostSubject: Re: Are school shootings "old news" now?   Are school shootings "old news" now? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 11:38 am

QuestionMark wrote:
Carnifex879 wrote:

And considering how partisan politics has gotten, when the politicians start coming out with new plans and policies it means a lot more acrimony than ever before.
Glad to see you got unbanned. Fuck Ivan.

QuestionMark and Rosie1756 like this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are school shootings "old news" now?   Are school shootings "old news" now? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 11:42 am

there are shootings that are totally forgotten or are very little known. I do not know if this is because they were before 1999 and were "covered" by the columbine incident, but there were also some recent ones that are not talked about much or are not very media and are overlooked. In fact, I'm not very involved in the case but, I remember that in the case of Devon Erickson the media only looked at him, because he was "Gay" and they even said he was a kind of youtuber, but they don't pay attention to true causes of the attack, in fact I think there was a 2nd perpetrator that the media did not talk too much about
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120178
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Are school shootings "old news" now?   Are school shootings "old news" now? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 11:46 am

margaflor wrote:
there are shootings that are totally forgotten or are very little known.  I do not know if this is because they were before 1999 and were "covered" by the columbine incident, but there were also some recent ones that are not talked about much or are not very media and are overlooked.  In fact, I'm not very involved in the case but, I remember that in the case of Devon Erickson the media only looked at him, because he was "Gay" and they even said he was a kind of youtuber, but they don't pay attention to  true causes of the attack, in fact I think there was a 2nd perpetrator that the media did not talk too much about

The STEM shooting was also a relatively low casualty event (only one dead), so that definitely played a role in the attention given. Even so, I've noticed that many high casualty attacks are forgotten about regularly, and none have managed to get the same attention as Columbine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are school shootings "old news" now?   Are school shootings "old news" now? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 12:02 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
margaflor wrote:
there are shootings that are totally forgotten or are very little known.  I do not know if this is because they were before 1999 and were "covered" by the columbine incident, but there were also some recent ones that are not talked about much or are not very media and are overlooked.  In fact, I'm not very involved in the case but, I remember that in the case of Devon Erickson the media only looked at him, because he was "Gay" and they even said he was a kind of youtuber, but they don't pay attention to  true causes of the attack, in fact I think there was a 2nd perpetrator that the media did not talk too much about

The STEM shooting was also a relatively low casualty event (only one dead), so that definitely played a role in the attention given. Even so, I've noticed that many high casualty attacks are forgotten about regularly, and none have managed to get the same attention as Columbine.

That is true, I do not want to say things that are not true but, if I am not mistaken, the attack on Oklahoma City was not as mediatic as columbine was, or for example, virginia tech did not get as mediatic as columbine was, it is strange why, maybe because they are only in charge of crossing them out as "imitators" and for them it is a solved problem, or maybe because they cannot get as much sensationalism as happened with that tragedy ... Vladislav Roslyakov has not had too much attention from the multinational media, at least in my country I have seen almost nothing about him in the media, and I only saw 1 single documentary about the one I found in my Tumblr eras, and I think that documentary was homemade, but they interviewed Vlad's mother among other things ... And let's say that the attack in Kech had much more deaths than columbine and did not receive the same attention at all
Back to top Go down
lognifiiskurk
Top 10 Contributor
lognifiiskurk

Contribution Points : 60714
Forum Reputation : 175

PostSubject: Re: Are school shootings "old news" now?   Are school shootings "old news" now? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 6:02 pm

Many school shootings/ mass shootings that have very little information on them don't get covered as much. With major shootings such as Columbine and Parkland there was so much information there that the media had no other choice than to talk about them and give them so much attention. Also Columbine was the first shooting of it's kind so that was bound to pick up some media attention.

Back to top Go down
Carnifex879
Hayden Jagst

Carnifex879

PostSubject: Re: Are school shootings "old news" now?   Are school shootings "old news" now? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2021 4:31 pm

lognifiiskurk wrote:
Many school shootings/ mass shootings that have very little information on them don't get covered as much. With major shootings such as Columbine and Parkland there was so much information there that the media had no other choice than to talk about them and give them so much attention. Also Columbine was the first shooting of it's kind so that was bound to pick up some media attention.
It also depends on what type of shooting it was and the location. I think Columbine and Parkland got so much attention because they happened at high schools and the death tolls were very high compared to other ones.

QuestionMark and lognifiiskurk like this post

Back to top Go down
DanielBryer

DanielBryer

Contribution Points : 29353
Forum Reputation : 104

PostSubject: Re: Are school shootings "old news" now?   Are school shootings "old news" now? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2022 12:58 pm

I still find them interesting. Why else would I be on this forum?

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
NEXT STEP UP

NEXT STEP UP

Contribution Points : 42548
Forum Reputation : 720

PostSubject: Re: Are school shootings "old news" now?   Are school shootings "old news" now? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2022 11:37 pm

Not to me. I'm still looking into the Frank James case, the Ethan Crumbley case, Orlando Harris, Robbie Crimo.

Think with your noggin, not your n!ggin'.

Kartoffeln likes this post

Back to top Go down
offtopicr

Contribution Points : 35296

PostSubject: Re: Are school shootings "old news" now?   Are school shootings "old news" now? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2022 10:31 am

-

Last edited by offtopicr on Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rosie1756

Rosie1756

Contribution Points : 15546
Forum Reputation : 227

PostSubject: Re: Are school shootings "old news" now?   Are school shootings "old news" now? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2022 4:24 pm

All modern school Shooters are pathetic boring copycats that lack originality.

Samson dislikes this post

Back to top Go down
Alexz

Contribution Points : 26430

PostSubject: Re: Are school shootings "old news" now?   Are school shootings "old news" now? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2023 5:36 pm

Columbine is the one an only

Rosie1756 dislikes this post

Back to top Go down
Rosie1756

Rosie1756

Contribution Points : 15546
Forum Reputation : 227

PostSubject: Re: Are school shootings "old news" now?   Are school shootings "old news" now? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2023 5:41 pm

Alexz wrote:
Columbine is the one an only

Even though they epically failed with their original plan.....

Humanbeing likes this post

Back to top Go down
Humanbeing

Humanbeing

Contribution Points : 11987
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Are school shootings "old news" now?   Are school shootings "old news" now? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2023 7:13 pm

Columbine only served to destroy some genetic lines. apart from that, nothing else.

Rosie1756 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are school shootings "old news" now?   Are school shootings "old news" now? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are school shootings "old news" now?
Page 1 of 1