Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Charged Santa Fe High gunman to remain in state hospital for another year

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NoThanks

NoThanks

Contribution Points : 44265
Forum Reputation : 0

Charged Santa Fe High gunman to remain in state hospital for another year Empty
PostSubject: Charged Santa Fe High gunman to remain in state hospital for another year   Charged Santa Fe High gunman to remain in state hospital for another year Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2021 7:49 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The teen accused of killing 10 students and educators during a shooting rampage in May 2018 will remain at the maximum security North Texas State Hospital in Vernon for up to 12 months. Dimitrios Pagourtzis was first found incompetent to stand trial in November 2019 after a trio of mental health experts determined he could not aid in his own defense.

Initially, Galveston County Judge John Ellisor ordered Pagourtzis committed for a period of no longer than 120 days with the goal of doctors restoring his competency. Court records show as that period of time was ending, doctors at the hospital informed the court Pagourtzis’ competency was not likely to be restored within the next 90 days. At that time Judge Ellisor extended his initial order for up to 12 months.

On Tuesday, KPRC 2 Investigates learned doctors have again informed the court Pargourtzis’ competency has still not been restored. Judge Ellisor is expected to sign another order for Pagourtzis to remain at North Texas State Hospital for 12 more months.

“The Court recently received, and transmitted to the State and Defense, a report from the North Texas State Hospital that Dimitrios Pagourtzis remains incompetent to stand trial. Subject to the provisions of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, this requires that he be recommitted for an additional period up to 12 months as the State’s doctors continue to try to restore him to competency. We extend our heartfelt thanks to the entire staff of North Texas State Hospital, who have labored under very difficult pandemic conditions over the last year to restore our client to competency so that he can stand trial,” defense attorney Nick Poehl wrote in a statement to KPRC 2.

The husband of educator Glenda Ann Perkins, who was killed during the rampage, told KPRC 2 he was called this morning by the Galveston County DA’s Office and informed of the decision.

“The laws need to change for victims rights,” said Steve Perkins.

Flo Rice, a substitute teacher critically wounded in the attack, also spoke with KPRC 2 about the decision for Pagourtzis to remain hospitalized.

“His being truly incompetent is difficult to fathom. I remember watching him on the court screen laughing and talking with his attorney. Hearing this news just makes the constant nightmare all that more vivid,” Rice wrote.

“It’s another dark day for justice in Texas when you can plan a mass murder and carry it out with devastating results and laugh in the face of the victims and not have to stand trial,” wrote Rice’s husband, Scot.

Pagourtzis was 17 at the time he was charged with walking into Santa Fe High school and opening fire on his classmates and teachers. Eight students and two educators were killed and 13 others wounded. Pagourtzis’ is also facing federal charges related to the shooting. However, since Pagourtzis is still considered a juvenile in federal court, the details of the charges remain sealed.

In state court, Pagourtzis is considered an adult but his age at the time of the shooting prevents him from receiving either the death penalty or life without parole. Pagourtzis defense attorney successfully won a change of venue for the trial, citing intense pre-trial publicity. The case was scheduled for trial in Fort Bend county in February of 2020, but was postponed after Pagourtzis was found incompetent.

If Pagourtzis’ competency is eventually restored, then a new trial date can be set.

Carnifex879, MilverSoxie and Employer_Square like this post

Back to top Go down
Carnifex879
Hayden Jagst
Former Top 10 Contributor

Carnifex879

Contribution Points : 68247
Forum Reputation : 391
Location : Gretchen Whitler's People's Republic of "The Mitten"

PostSubject: Re: Charged Santa Fe High gunman to remain in state hospital for another year   Charged Santa Fe High gunman to remain in state hospital for another year Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2021 9:54 pm

Man, I feel like him being "incompetent" is some bullshit lie made up by his defense attorneys. I can't see what's so messed up about him mentally that he has to be in a mental hospital for 2 years. But then again, Galveston county doesn't want to share any facts with us, who knows when they will. If they ever do! Evil or Very Mad

lognifiiskurk
Top 10 Contributor
lognifiiskurk

Contribution Points : 60914
Forum Reputation : 175

PostSubject: Re: Charged Santa Fe High gunman to remain in state hospital for another year   Charged Santa Fe High gunman to remain in state hospital for another year Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2021 11:39 pm

I hope some more information is released about the case as well as a possible trial. Santa Fe always seems to be a somewhat overlooked case IMO.

Carnifex879, MilverSoxie and Employer_Square like this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charged Santa Fe High gunman to remain in state hospital for another year   Charged Santa Fe High gunman to remain in state hospital for another year Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2021 4:51 am

Well, fuck. I hope up to a year doesn't mean a year.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Charged Santa Fe High gunman to remain in state hospital for another year   Charged Santa Fe High gunman to remain in state hospital for another year Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Charged Santa Fe High gunman to remain in state hospital for another year
Page 1 of 1