Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned...

Go down 
+3
Mj2beat
Z_Splatter
iceflames
7 posters
AuthorMessage
iceflames

Contribution Points : 94588
Forum Reputation : 0

Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned... Empty
PostSubject: Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned...   Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 8:17 am

I was just wondering what you guys thought about their faith always being mentioned when someone talks about Rachel and Cassie. Every time you read descriptions about Columbine victims, Cassie and Rachel's faith in God is always mentioned. No other victim's (except John Tomlin sometimes) religion is brought up. I was reading Lauren Townsend's memorial plaque and was reading an article about the Flemings. Lauren and Kelly (from what I've read about her family) both seem religious, yet that's never brought up. Isaiah and Corey (according to their memorial plaques/articles I've read) also seem to have a strong faith. Do you think that Cassie and Rachel's religion is always mentioned because of their families? Both have books written about them (Rachel has multiple) and Rachel's family has Rachel's Challenge. Anyway, it's just always seemed weird to me that they are the only two whose religion is brought up.
Back to top Go down
Z_Splatter

Contribution Points : 97611

PostSubject: Re: Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned...   Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 9:46 am

It seems to me that Rachel and Cassie were both pretty outspoken in their faith prior to their deaths and their families continued to be after their deaths. This seems to be what they are most remembered for. I think it is cool that they are remembered for what they believed so strongly about.
Back to top Go down
Mj2beat

Contribution Points : 95304
Forum Reputation : 24

PostSubject: Re: Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned...   Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 8:57 pm

I think they are more remembered with that, because thats what define them, with the other victims the people recall more how good students or athletes they were because thats what they most remember about them, it was their principal characteristic. I also think its cool that they are remembered more with what they believed so much.

The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light
Back to top Go down
gutenfxckintag

Contribution Points : 92854
Forum Reputation : 8

PostSubject: Re: Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned...   Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2014 12:27 am

I believe it's because of the "she was asked if she believed in God" rumors. Being so outspoken about their faith is probably what started the rumors. And maybe because they're girls. Which could be why John doesn't have a rumor about him being a martyr and why is faith isn't always mentioned.

But in 2012 I read some article by Richard Castaldo saying that the "Do you believe in God" thing really did happen. A thirteen year old confession. What is up with that? Was that article fake or something?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned...   Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2014 7:45 am

gutenfxckintag wrote:
I believe it's because of the "she was asked if she believed in God" rumors. Being so outspoken about their faith is probably what started the rumors. And maybe because they're girls. Which could be why John doesn't have a rumor about him being a martyr and why is faith isn't always mentioned.

But in 2012 I read some article by Richard Castaldo saying that the "Do you believe in God" thing really did happen. A thirteen year old confession. What is up with that? Was that article fake or something?

I also did read that interview and it was not fake, so far I know.
Back to top Go down
Juicy Jazzy

Juicy Jazzy

Contribution Points : 98769
Forum Reputation : 21

PostSubject: Re: Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned...   Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2014 9:51 am

gutenfxckintag wrote:

If she was shot point blank with a carbine rifle, it would have blown the top half of her head off. Physical evidence lines up with her being shot from a distance. I am confident that the supposed exchange her family push so hard is false.
Back to top Go down
TheFragile

Contribution Points : 97284

PostSubject: Re: Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned...   Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2014 4:56 pm

gutenfxckintag wrote:

In fact was Valeen Schnurr who said that she believed in God:

Quote :
Attracted by Val's cries, the shooters both came over to where she was. One of the shooters, who was reloading his weapon at the time, then asked her if she believed in God. She floundered in her answer, saying no at first and then yes, trying to get the answer 'right'. He asked her 'Why?' and she said it was because it was what her family believed. Valeen then crawled back under the table where she lay down and played dead until the shooters left the library. She tried then to wake Lauren but when she couldn't, Val fled the library. She was one of the last to leave the library, of those that could.

PostSubject: Re: Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned...   Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2014 6:23 pm

TheFragile wrote:
gutenfxckintag wrote:

Quote :
Attracted by Val's cries, the shooters both came over to where she was. One of the shooters, who was reloading his weapon at the time, then asked her if she believed in God. She floundered in her answer, saying no at first and then yes, trying to get the answer 'right'. He asked her 'Why?' and she said it was because it was what her family believed. Valeen then crawled back under the table where she lay down and played dead until the shooters left the library. She tried then to wake Lauren but when she couldn't, Val fled the library. She was one of the last to leave the library, of those that could.

Your'e mixing Oranges with Apples. Valeen Schnurr was the one, who answered this question in the library, rather then Cassie Bernall.
Richard Castaldo, however, claimed that the Shooters did ask this question to Rachel Scott, before killing her. I don't know, if he is right with that, but he seemed pretty convinced.
Back to top Go down
JDM87

Contribution Points : 101856

PostSubject: Re: Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned...   Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned... Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 3:49 am

As aforementioned on this topic, I think it's due to the fact that they were both very overt about their religion. Their parents were also the only parents (I think) to write books posthumously about their children's lives.
Back to top Go down
TheFragile

Contribution Points : 97284

PostSubject: Re: Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned...   Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned... Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 5:09 pm

Hale-Bopp wrote:
TheFragile wrote:
gutenfxckintag wrote:

Quote :

Your'e mixing Oranges with Apples. Valeen Schnurr was the one, who answered this question in the library, rather then Cassie Bernall.
Richard Castaldo, however, claimed that the Shooters did ask this question to Rachel Scott, before killing her. I don't know, if he is right with that, but he seemed pretty convinced.

Oops, I got mixed up. So sorry. This is really what I was trying to explain:

Quote :
Early news reports said that one of the gunmen, after having first shot Rachel in her leg, asked the wounded girl if she still believed in God, and that she had simply answered "You know I do", provoking a second, fatal shot to her head at point-blank range.Some accounts attributed this version of events to Castaldo, though he later denied telling this story.

Contribution Points : 92854
Forum Reputation : 8

PostSubject: Re: Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned...   Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 10:22 pm

JDM87 wrote:
As aforementioned on this topic, I think it's due to the fact that they were both very overt about their religion. Their parents were also the only parents (I think) to write books posthumously about their children's lives.

Tom Mauser wrote a book about Daniel. Dawn Anna is writing a book about Lauren. Dave also has a book about him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned...   Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2014 5:53 am

Hale-Bopp wrote:

I don't think he is. Otherwise I would not understand the reason why he gave the police a false account more than once. I believe it is quite hard to suddenly recall new details of the shooting after thirteen years, especially when for all these years another story has been told.
As for Cassie Bernall being associated with her faith, I believe the reason is pretty obvious given that for years she has been believed to have been killed because of her faith. It is true that both her and Rachel Scott were outspoken in their faith, though. I wonder if the fact that was Rachel Scott's brother who spread the rumor about Cassie Bernall in the beginning led many people to mess the story up and believe that the "famous question" was actually asked to Rachel Scott herself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned...   Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rachel and Cassie's faith always mentioned...
Page 1 of 1