Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"?

Go down 
+2
Littlelo
Jenn
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"? Empty
PostSubject: Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"?   Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 30, 2017 4:43 am

Does anyone have any knowledge on who first coined that term for the tapes or did E+D call it that before?
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 118908
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"?   Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 30, 2017 5:34 am

No, Dylan and Eric did not call them "The Basement Tapes". The reason they are called The Basement Tapes is because they were filmed down in Eric's basement where his bedroom was. I believe he had something similar to a living room down there which was right outside of his bedroom and the boys would sit there in the recliners and film themselves.

I'm not sure though who the very first person to call them The Basement Tapes was. That's a good question though.

Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

Contribution Points : 66628
Forum Reputation : 90

PostSubject: Re: Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"?   Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 30, 2017 7:09 am

I am wondering if it was the media that started the name? The Time Magazine article that came out in December of '99 called them the "Columbine Tapes" so maybe that was the start?

Could have also been law enforcement though...
Back to top Go down
Wumselito

Wumselito

Contribution Points : 64799
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"?   Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 30, 2017 7:25 am

I remember Sue saying in her book that "the media" were the ones to coin this term. She doesn't name a specific news outlet, though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"?   Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 30, 2017 7:26 am

I always just assumed JeffCo had dubbed them "The Basement Tapes".
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"?   Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 30, 2017 8:49 am

Actually I just checked, and the Time article from December does call them The Basement Tapes. Maybe that really is where the name came from?
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193357
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"?   Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 30, 2017 8:59 am

It was probably Time, I remember learning a lot from that article and it was around the time that the leak came out from Darrell Scott.

Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 151268
Forum Reputation : 2754

PostSubject: Re: Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"?   Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 30, 2017 2:46 pm

Time called them "The Columbine Tapes":
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"?   Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 30, 2017 2:49 pm

The title of the article was The Columbine Tapes, but there is a section within the article where they call them the Basement Tapes. This isn't to say it's where the name originated, though.

Source: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"?   Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 30, 2017 3:01 pm

Littlelo wrote:
The title of the article was The Columbine Tapes, but there is a section within the article where they call them the Basement Tapes. This isn't to say it's where the name originated, though.

I believe I have a PDF scan of the Time article on my computer at home. I'll have to look for it later.

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"?   Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 30, 2017 3:12 pm

LPorter101 wrote:
Littlelo wrote:

I believe I have a PDF scan of the Time article on my computer at home. I'll have to look for it later.

That would be awesome, thanks! The cover is really the only thing you can find online in good quality.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"?   Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 30, 2017 7:50 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] There we go
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"?   Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 30, 2017 11:06 pm

Okeh, here you are:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"?   Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 30, 2017 11:11 pm

The Time cover story from the week after the massacre:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193357
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"?   Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 30, 2017 11:19 pm

Thank you LPorter!!!

Contribution Points : 76261
Forum Reputation : 225

PostSubject: no one mentioned   Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 30, 2017 11:33 pm

Since no one mentioned it, I will: Bob Dylan's album recorded in 1967 but not released until 1975 was also called "The Basement Tapes." It was very critically acclaimed at the time.

Whether or not the Columbine tapes are explicitly related to that, I guess I don't really know.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"?   Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 01, 2017 7:54 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] okay I see now
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"?   Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who gave it the name "The Basement Tapes"?
Page 1 of 1