Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dylan's and Eric's relationship with their parents

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Dylan's and Eric's relationship with their parents Empty
PostSubject: Dylan's and Eric's relationship with their parents   Dylan's and Eric's relationship with their parents Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 10:40 pm

I'm new to this and I'm not entirely sure if this is where I should ask this. I hope I don't get in trouble.

Anyways, I need to know what their relationship with their parents were like. I'm doing this school paper and I need some answers this night/day (wherever you are). If you could reply, link me to some articles, etc that would be very much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
philosopher_king

philosopher_king

Contribution Points : 101647
Forum Reputation : 8

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's and Eric's relationship with their parents   Dylan's and Eric's relationship with their parents Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 12:05 am

There are a number of places you can look. The book Far from the tree is one source in relation to Dylan, Susan Klebold's essay in O Magazine, Wayne Harris journal on Eric, And other sources if you look around.  The basement tapes transcript might be helpful too.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97942
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's and Eric's relationship with their parents   Dylan's and Eric's relationship with their parents Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 4:34 am

Well, we have a reported statement by Eric from the basement tapes:

Eric Harris wrote:
"My parents are the best fucking parents I have ever known. My dad is great. I wish I was a fucking sociopath so I didn't have any remorse, but I do. This is going to tear them apart. They will never forget it." He then addresses his parents directly, if briefly: "There is nothing you guys could have done to prevent any of this. There is nothing that anyone could have done to prevent this. No one is to blame except me and Vodka. Our actions are a two man war against everyone else."
source: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

We do not have the basement tapes, but the reported quote fits in well with what Eric wrote in his journal, that we do have:
Eric Harris wrote:
Its MY fault! not my parents, not my brothers, not my friends, not my favorite bands, not computer games, not the media. IT is MINE! go shut the fuck up!

We also have this reported basement tapes quote:
Eric Harris wrote:
"My parents might have made some mistakes that they weren't really aware of."

Eric was also reported to be dissatisfied with how his family had to move five times from city to city due to his father's airforce job.

Overall most people later on mentioned that The Harrises were a strict and conservative catholic family, but taht Eric generally got along well with them.

Now Dylan, he IIRC does not mention his parents much in his journal, so wejust have some reported basement tapes quotes.

Dylan Klebold wrote:
Dylan then recalls how popular and athletic his older brother Byron was and how he constantly "ripped" on him, as did his brother's friends. According to Dylan, with the exception of his parents, his extended family treated him like the runt of the litter.

Dylan: "You made me what I am. You added to the rage."
Dylan's father was a non-practicing christian (luteran iirc), buthis mom was jewish and religious. Dylan and his brother were raised christian and iirc its his jewish part of the family that never accepted Dylan and his brother.
Dylan's parents were reported to have been very politically liberal, lef-wing and pacifist. I think it was Nate who said that the Klebolds did not allow their kids to play with toy guns or army men figurines etc.

Both shooters also address their parents in their last tape:
Eric wrote:
"Yea... Everyone I love, I'm really sorry about all this. I know my mom and dad will be just like.. just fucking shocked beyond belief. I'm sorry, all right. I can't help it."

Dylan wrote:
Hey mom. Gotta go. It's about a half an hour before our little judgment day. I just wanted to apologize to you guys for any crap this might instigate as far as (inaudible) or something. Just know I'm going to a better place. I didn't like life too much and I know I'll be happy wherever the fuck I go. So I'm gone. Good-bye.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
lol

Contribution Points : 103072
Forum Reputation : 325

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's and Eric's relationship with their parents   Dylan's and Eric's relationship with their parents Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 9:39 am

The more you research the more you realize that between the two Dylan clearly was more dangerous. How in the world do people constantly miss it is beyond me.

Eric was constantly apologizing and showing remorse, while even crying. Dylan, on the other hand told his parents and family that "i hated life. Peace out". Dylan was snapping his fingers while Eric kept apologizing. He wanted to get it over with.

They were not psychopaths and were obviously mentally ill, but honestly Dylan intrigues me. He shows more signs of being a guy who would have done a shooting in college than Eric.

42099_4EVA likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97942
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's and Eric's relationship with their parents   Dylan's and Eric's relationship with their parents Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 10:07 am

lol wrote:
They were not psychopaths and were obviously mentally ill, but honestly Dylan intrigues me. He shows more signs of being a guy who would have done a shooting in college than Eric.

I agree. Eric imho would have never been a nice calm guy, I think he would have caused issues and trouble wherever he went. But he is probably the less likley one to go out Cho Seung Hui style alone.

Dylan, if he would put his shit togeather and get over his depression would likely have been a normal and sucessfull person. But if his mental issues continued after columbine, he could have done what Cho did.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's and Eric's relationship with their parents   Dylan's and Eric's relationship with their parents Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dylan's and Eric's relationship with their parents
Page 1 of 1