Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria?

Go down 
+3
radaddio
LPorter101
Sabratha
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97715
Forum Reputation : 440

Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria? Empty
PostSubject: Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria?   Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2015 2:45 pm

Well, Davey boy describes it as "Dylan losing his nerve" while the aussie dude on the "Cleaning Columbine" youtube channel speculates it was just a recon mission and Dylan just wanted to see what's with the bombs (are they smoking, did someone put them out etc I guess).

Well, I think niether Cullen nor the CC aussie guy can prove it either way (neither can I) but I think I see a 3rd possible explanation:

Dylan entered the cafeteria, pointed his Tec at someone and nothing happened. He then realized the TEC had jammed again and he's facing a room full of students without a functional weapon. So he quickly moves away trying not to let people know anything went wrong and runs to Eric, hoping nobody jumps him. Then he reloads or cleans the jam while Eric covers him.

That's my theory. Its just speculation, but I think it would explain both why Dylan doesn't fire at anyone and why he seems to have so quickly have ran to Eric after looking into the cafeteria.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 151268
Forum Reputation : 2754

PostSubject: Re: Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria?   Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2015 5:46 pm

Yeah, I don't think he wanted to draw everyone's attention too soon.

PostSubject: Re: Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria?   Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 7:34 am

I agree with Cleaning Columbine. Dylan didn't know why the bombs hadn't gone off, and it makes sense he would check on them. The bombs where always the first option and priority, shooting was a secondary measure.
It also doesn't make sense that Dylan would have lost his nerve, given that he had just shot Lance Kirklin. By the time he went into the cafeteria he was already a killer, if he had lost his nerve it would have lost it when he was killing Kirklin, not right after.
Back to top Go down
radaddio

Contribution Points : 83540
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria?   Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 12:48 pm

Until recently, I didn't know he had so much trouble with his tec 9. If only all of their guns could have jammed and failed.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria?   Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 2:19 pm

radaddio wrote:
Until recently, I didn't know he had so much trouble with his tec 9. If only all of their guns could have jammed and failed.
Almost all did. I think the stevens shotgun was the only one that didn't jam or malfunction even once. But it took a long time to reload and had just 2 rounds.

The TEC-9 malfunctioned at leats once, with the 50 round clip. Eric's carbine jammed on a round during the ecchange with Gardiner. I can't rememebr where that slug was found, but it seems there was one slug from Eric's shotgun that got mangled and seems Eric had to manually dislodge it from teh gun at some point without firing it (have no idea, maybe he just fumbled with laoding? Who knows). So that just leaves the stevens shotgun.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
browneyes11

browneyes11

Contribution Points : 84769
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria?   Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 2:56 pm

HUMANE55 wrote:
I agree with Cleaning Columbine. Dylan didn't know why the bombs hadn't gone off, and it makes sense he would check on them. The bombs where always the first option and priority, shooting was a secondary measure.
It also doesn't make sense that Dylan would have lost his nerve, given that he had just shot Lance Kirklin. By the time he went into the cafeteria he was already a killer, if he had lost his nerve it would have lost it when he was killing Kirklin, not right after.

Dylan didn't kill Lance Kirklin. He may have thought he did though

To experience life after death, in solitude, in compassion, in love.-
Back to top Go down
lasttrain

Contribution Points : 102313
Forum Reputation : 74

PostSubject: Re: Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria?   Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 6:21 pm

He didn't shoot anyone in the hall either, except Stephanie Munson, which doesn't seem like shooting to kill. It is possible that the Lance Kirklin shooting, his first, unnerved him. He didn't shoot anyone else until after Eric asked him, "Are you with me?"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria?   Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 6:50 pm

Yeah, but my point was that by the time Dylan went into the cafeteria, the point of no return had already been crossed, and if he was going to freak out, or lose his nerve, or anything else, it would have most likely happened when he was shooting Lance Kirklin.
Still, there are a million ways to analyze the details and we will never know the right answer, so who really knows?
Back to top Go down
WhereHateRunsRed

WhereHateRunsRed

Contribution Points : 81954
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria?   Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2015 2:19 am

I'm probably coming across as ignorant but how is it known that he actually aimed or "swept" his gun across fleeing students in the cafeteria? I haven't read every single page of the 11k so forgive my question. Did the cameras not pick this up even after the tape change?
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria?   Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2015 7:00 am

lasttrain wrote:
He didn't shoot anyone in the hall either, except Stephanie Munson, which doesn't seem like shooting to kill. It is possible that the Lance Kirklin shooting, his first, unnerved him.  He didn't shoot anyone else until after Eric asked him, "Are you with me?"

That's always the big question - Did Dylan decide not to shoot to kill, or was he just a poor shot? Given that he did kill several people point blank or near point blank, I'm leaning to the latter explanation. The TEC-9 is an unreliable gun, but once it fires its said to be rather accurate at short ranges.

Shine29 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Archvile

Archvile

Contribution Points : 79861
Forum Reputation : 18

PostSubject: Re: Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria?   Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2015 8:32 pm

waste of ammo, the bombs were going to take out that entire room in a short period of time.. or so he thought.. I wish that part of the CCTV wasn't removed, I always wanted to see Dylan walk in and see how people reacted.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria?   Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why Dylan didn't shoot at anyone first time around in the cafeteria?
Page 1 of 1