Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule

Go down 
+7
Rebdoomer
lasttrain
afrrs
deathmedic
Juicy Jazzy
radaddio
LPorter101
11 posters
AuthorMessage
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 151268
Forum Reputation : 2754

A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule Empty
PostSubject: A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule   A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2015 10:27 pm

A guy who says he's a senior at CHS has this to say about the social atmosphere at the school:

idk exactly what it was like back then. There's still jocks, lots and lots of jocks.

We have 2 cops there all day, 4 deans and 3 security guys. [DeAngelis] didn't do shit for bullying, neither does the new principal. although nobody is shoving anyone into lockers or anything there is still a vibe that is given off that makes kids who aren't involved in school sports feel sort of left out.

There isn't really any physical bullying. Jocks like to team up and make fun of a kid in the class sometimes, they think they're being sneaky about it but they aren't. You can talk about Columbine in a tragic sorta way but you probably can't make jokes around the teachers that were there or the students that are now teachers that were there. We don't have school on 4/20 and only one of my teachers ever talked about the shooting. As for incident reporting, if u snitch you're considered a bitch. I don't care if Columbine is used as a verb, i wasn't there.

Contribution Points : 83540
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule   A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2015 1:38 pm

I figured that they would still be sports-oriented. That'll never change, the place looks like a sports complex.
Back to top Go down
Juicy Jazzy

Juicy Jazzy

Contribution Points : 98669
Forum Reputation : 21

PostSubject: Re: A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule   A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Even though the bullying continues, it seems a lot better than it was in the 1990s there.
Back to top Go down
radaddio

Contribution Points : 83540

PostSubject: Re: A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule   A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2015 10:52 pm

Possibly. From all the accounts, most of the trouble was caused by the jocks during the 97/98 school year.

I have two kids in school, one in middle school and one in high school, and my perception is that bullying isn't as bad now as it was when I was a kid. I could be wrong though...
Back to top Go down
deathmedic

Contribution Points : 101999

PostSubject: Re: A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule   A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2015 10:05 am

I know bullying isn't a rampant issue at my kids school(s). I know it's nothing like when I was in school, they teach acceptance for everyone now.
Back to top Go down
afrrs

afrrs

Contribution Points : 80283
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule   A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2015 12:22 pm

deathmedic wrote:
I know bullying isn't a rampant issue at my kids school(s). I know it's nothing like when I was in school, they teach acceptance for everyone now.
What do you mean ?
Back to top Go down
lasttrain

Contribution Points : 102313
Forum Reputation : 74

PostSubject: Re: A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule   A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2015 8:30 pm

People feeling left out is not the same as bullying.
Back to top Go down
Rebdoomer

Rebdoomer

Contribution Points : 79503

PostSubject: Re: A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule   A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2015 8:54 am

I think bullying is as bad as it was in 1999. We have social media now...

ThoughtBox

ThoughtBox

Contribution Points : 84046
Forum Reputation : 13

PostSubject: Re: A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule   A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 10:13 am

Does anyone know of any CHS students at the time of the shooting who are now teachers there? I hadn't thought (nor heard) about that before.

It would certainly be an interesting dynamic if this were true.

“Despair is the price one pays for self-awareness. Look deeply into life, and you'll always find despair.” -- Irvin D. Yalom, MD
Back to top Go down
Fatheroftwo

Contribution Points : 83388

PostSubject: Re: A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule   A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 2:18 pm

ThoughtBox wrote:
Does anyone know of any CHS students at the time of the shooting who are now teachers there? I hadn't thought (nor heard) about that before.

It would certainly be an interesting dynamic if this were true.

There's a video interview out there (youtube?) I saw & yes, there were 4 if not 5 survivors that were teaching @ CHS @ the time of the interview. I'd guess the video was roughly 10 years post 4/20.
Back to top Go down
FlyerFan

FlyerFan

Contribution Points : 76997
Forum Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule   A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 4:42 pm

afrrs wrote:
deathmedic wrote:
What do you mean ?

I think they mean that with social media and cyber bullying and everything going on these days they are making kids more aware of the effects of bullying, and they are also trying to teach kids tolerance and acceptance for things that were once considered unacceptable in general society. For example, I am 27 and when I was in school if someone was gay they were relentlessly bullied and outcasted and not just by kids but adults as well. By the time I got to high school (I graduated in 2006) I could see more and more LGBT kids being accepted and not picked on or outcasted as much. one boy even got on stage in front of the whole student body and announced that he was gay and everyone applauded his courage.
Back to top Go down
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 78978
Forum Reputation : 304

PostSubject: Re: A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule   A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2020 9:30 pm

I think that the attention towards bullying has gotten better. I tend to stay clear from what people say online, but I assume that in a big school you will always have bullying. I always assumed that american high schools are very cliquey. But I didnt think this was still a thing?
Back to top Go down
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule   A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2020 9:33 pm

lasttrain wrote:
People feeling left out is not the same as bullying.

Depends on the situation. Bullying doesnt necessarily have to be physical. If you trie to ostrasize people its a form of bullying
Back to top Go down
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule   A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 12:41 pm

emanresu wrote:
This is just like any other high school??

I guess I didnt have that experience. I was bullied 1st year, if memory serves me right. But we didnt have that peer structure. I guess cliques are not a thing here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule   A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A kid who goes to Columbine in 2015 says jocks still rule
Page 1 of 1