Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places

Go down 
+7
slippy123
FlyerFan
WendlaBergman
gasolinechild
boringguy
LPorter101
11 posters
AuthorMessage
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 151586
Forum Reputation : 2754

Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Empty
PostSubject: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 7:55 pm

A little while ago, I went out to pick up some dinner.

The restaurants at the nearby strip mall - a smoothie shop, a chicken place, and a sports bar - were all crowded with teenyboppers. Most if not all of the boys seemed to be jocks - they were all wearing shirts with their high-school team logos. I didn't spot a bespectacled nerd in the bunch.

I went into the chicken place and stood in line to make my to-go order. In front of me was this short little muscly albino-blond guy with his short, petite, but busty girlfriend. They both looked to be high-school age - 17 or 18. If he was 5'6" or 5'7" - my best guess - then she was 5'1" or 5'2". He wasn't wearing any kind of team jacket, but his whole demeanor screamed jock - wrestler, or maybe football player. He had his hands all over her like she was a piece of meat - working her (skinny) ass like he was making a pot out of clay. When he wasn't groping her, he was flexing his muscles and looking around to see if anyone was watching him.

I can imagine Eric Harris looking at a guy like that, saying, "What's that guy got that I don't have?" And the answer is: he has muscles, yes, but he also has status. He has that arrogant jock sneer on his face. To me, he looked like a little punk, but to that girl, he must have seemed like acceptable dating material. She didn't seem to mind that he was feeling her up in front of everyone in the restaurant.

As I was leaving, I saw a posse of high-school basketball players entering the smoothie shop. (They were mostly white and Hispanic, not that it matters.) None of them had their girlfriends with them, so they were horsing around like bros. The ones who were wearing sideless T-shirts to show off their physiques were flexing their biceps like they were auditioning for a gym commercial.

I can imagine Dylan Klebold looking at a group like that, saying, "Why do women go for those assholes and not for me?" And the answer is: they're more physically developed than you are, and they have status, and they have confidence. They radiate a kind of authority that says, "Anything I want in this world is mine for the taking."

But anyway...

boringguy

boringguy

Contribution Points : 83010
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 8:24 pm

I think it has to do with how a lot of girls that age are insecure and want to feel like they are more valuable or pretty or something like that. To do that, they try to get with a guy higher on the social ladder. They see these jocks, with their confidence and muscles, and think if they can get with them that they will feel more pretty and will be envied by other girls. I think this is why the guys like Eric and Dylan are just left to rot in the dust, without so much as a second look from most girls.
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 8:36 pm

boringguy wrote:
I think it has to do with how a lot of girls that age are insecure and want to feel like they are more valuable or pretty or something like that. To do that, they try to get with a guy higher on the social ladder. They see these jocks, with their confidence and muscles, and think if they can get with them that they will feel more pretty and will be envied by other girls. I think this is why the guys like Eric and Dylan are just left to rot in the dust, without so much as a second look from girls.

They were gamers, but they didn't know Game.

Contribution Points : 79731
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 9:14 pm

Mr Porter, is Columbine always on your mind? You see a dog and your first thought is that Eric had a dog? Smile
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 9:41 pm

1891 wrote:
Mr Porter, is Columbine always on your mind? You see a dog and your first thought is that Eric had a dog? Smile

If I see a bitch, I think, "Eric was a bitch." Very Happy

Nah, I think about lots of shit.

gasolinechild

gasolinechild

Contribution Points : 85727

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 11:24 pm

Today I was reading Homer's Iliad and kept seeing the phrase "godlike Achilles." I immediately thought of Eric and Dylan. This was more appropriate than I thought at first. The ancient greek concept of a hero had much in common with how they saw themselves and what they strove to be. In the myths of ancient greece, a hero was half-deity half-mortal, and endowed with abilities and talents beyond the norm--not quite human, but living in a human body. They strove to be best at whatever it was they did, driven by some inner impulse or need for Arete, for excellence--for glory. That drive could often be destructive, to themselves and everyone around them, but that was part of why the ancient greeks thought they were worth writing epics about. Their flaws and tragic ends came from the same traits that made them do great deeds.

The Greeks: An Introduction to Their Culture by Robin Sowerby wrote:

...it seems that Achilles is arrogantly acting as though he were a law unto himself. His response may seem disproportionate but it has its origin in something exceptionally pure and noble. No other Homeric hero has the aspiration for glory in so intense a form, for Achilles is not fighting for revenge or the defense of loved ones, neither has any Homeric hero consciously made the sacrifice that is reflected in his stark choice in opting for a glorious death at Troy rather than a long undistinguished life. With this purity of motive, Achilles has an absolute sense of his own worth and of the honor due to him because of it. Any diminution of this honor diminishes the whole man and renders his choice of life null and void. There is honorable truth in such feeling and Achilles honors this single truth so absolutely that he is blind to all other truths, so that this purity of motive proves the ruin not only of many others but of himself too.
(emphasis mine)

Achilles is so very Eric and Dylan.

LPorter101 wrote:

I can imagine Dylan Klebold looking at a group like that, saying, "Why do women go for those assholes and not for me?" And the answer is: they're more physically developed than you are, and they have status, and they have confidence. They radiate a kind of authority that says, "Anything I want in this world is mine for the taking."
boringguy wrote:
I think it has to do with how a lot of girls that age are insecure and want to feel like they are more valuable or pretty or something like that. To do that, they try to get with a guy higher on the social ladder. They see these jocks, with their confidence and muscles, and think if they can get with them that they will feel more pretty and will be envied by other girls. I think this is why the guys like Eric and Dylan are just left to rot in the dust, without so much as a second look from most girls.

I used to hate those kinds of people, back when I was a girl. Sucks to be them though--Dylan is a better companion than any of them, despite no longer being physically present or alive.
Back to top Go down
WendlaBergman

Contribution Points : 90324

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 11:30 pm

It makes me really sad to think that Dylan and Eric didn't get much attention from girls. They were both physically beautiful, social status be damned!
Back to top Go down
gasolinechild

gasolinechild

Contribution Points : 85727

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 12:08 am

LPorter101 wrote:
1891 wrote:

If I see a bitch, I think, "Eric was a bitch." Very Happy

Nah, I think about lots of shit.

Ha, every time I see a scruffy-cut Yorkshire terrier now I think, "it's a Sparky dog!"
Back to top Go down
WendlaBergman

Contribution Points : 90324

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 6:49 pm

Ever since I've gotten into Columbine research I've found myself incredibly attracted to guys who look like Dylan - tall, skinny, big noses/chins/awkward looking, and long hair. Granted, I've always been attracted to these traits in guys but now I see a guy who looks like that and if he tries to talk to me I start laughing from nerves.

My taste in ladies - thin, with long hair and cute faces - has remained unchanged.

Last edited by WendlaBergman on Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 7:30 pm

I'm watching Broncos vs Steelers and from nowhere I just started to wonder if Wayne and Kevin Harris are watching the game together.
Back to top Go down
FlyerFan

FlyerFan

Contribution Points : 77197
Forum Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 8:11 am

1891 wrote:
I'm watching Broncos vs Steelers and from nowhere I just started to wonder if Wayne and Kevin Harris are watching the game together.

I think about stuff like this alot. The other day I was browsing Christine Mauser's facebook pictures (every year in april she puts up a childhood photo of daniel and her together and I love those) and I saw her recent wedding photos and I couldn't help but to think how they all felt that day that he wasn't here to celebrate with them.
Back to top Go down
slippy123

slippy123

Contribution Points : 105738
Forum Reputation : 1235

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 12:25 am

Typical highschool insecurity. They flex infront of everyone else as sort of a defense tactic. I'm sure over half of those kids will graduate and look back and say wow I was a fucking tool. Some will be tools for life. But I get what you're saying about Eric and his thinking.

I hate to sound pretentious, but when I was in highschool the sexiest girls would always date these butt ass ugly guys. Why? Because they played some kind of sport. Highschool is all about status. It really is pathetic.
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 1:22 am

slippy123 wrote:
Typical highschool insecurity. They flex infront of everyone else as sort of a defense tactic. I'm sure over half of those kids will graduate and look back and say wow I was a fucking tool. Some will be tools for life. But I get what you're saying about Eric and his thinking.

I hate to sound pretentious, but when I was in highschool the sexiest girls would always date these butt ass ugly guys. Why? Because they played some kind of sport. Highschool is all about status. It really is pathetic.

I once knew a guy in his late teens who was even shorter than the guy at the chicken place - maybe 5'4" at most. He was very muscular. (Most bodybuilders are short - the shorter your arms, the easier it is to pack muscle onto them. If you're tall, you have to pack a lot more muscle onto your longer limbs to look as jacked as shorter guys.)

Every time he got near a girl who was as short or shorter than him, he started flexing. He wasn't even subtle about it - it was like he was on stage at a bodybuilding competition and he thought the girl was one of the judges. But he never did it around girls who were taller than him. (Fortunately for him, there were lots of petite girls around.)

I don't know if it helped him or not, but he kept doing it for as long as I knew him. People used to joke about him behind his back - but not to his face.

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2016 8:31 pm

Denver Broncos beat New England Patriots to advance to the Super Bowl.

Interesting fact is that last time the Broncos won the Super Bowl, Eric and Dylan was still alive. Just a few months before Columbine.
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 119108
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2016 10:26 pm

1891 wrote:

Interesting fact is that last time the Broncos won the Super Bowl, Eric and Dylan was still alive. Just a few months before Columbine.  
I actually remember that. I can't tell you who won any other super bowls. Denver winning in 1999 is the only one I know the year and the winning team and remember it happening.

Back to top Go down
Rebdomine

Contribution Points : 75946
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 10:08 am

1891 wrote:

Hopefully they can get another win. With the way the Panthers play... I'm worried though.

I often imagine Wayne and Kathy or Sue and Tom sitting down and watching the Broncos play as well.

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 1:17 pm

Rebdomine wrote:
1891 wrote:

Hopefully they can get another win. With the way the Panthers play... I'm worried though.

I often imagine Wayne and Kathy or Sue and Tom sitting down and watching the Broncos play as well.

Yeah, Panthers look really strong. Let's see if there still is some magic in Peyton's arm.

I realize that I only think of Columbine stuff when I hear something about Denver or Colorado. Like when I saw an Avalanche game there was ads for King Soopers on the ice, which made me think that that's where they met that last morning of their lives.
Back to top Go down
Rebdomine

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 2:29 pm

1891 wrote:
Rebdomine wrote:
1891 wrote:

Yeah, Panthers look really strong. Let's see if there still is some magic in Peyton's arm.

I realize that I only think of Columbine stuff when I hear something about Denver or Colorado. Like when I saw an Avalanche game there was ads for King Soopers on the ice, which made me think that that's where they met that last morning of their lives.

Believe it or not, King Soopers has the best doughnuts ever! They make them fresh overnight.

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 3:33 pm

Rebdomine wrote:
1891 wrote:
Rebdomine wrote:
1891 wrote:

Believe it or not, King Soopers has the best doughnuts ever! They make them fresh overnight.

Too bad I don't live in America then Sad
Back to top Go down
FlyerFan

FlyerFan

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 7:18 pm

1891 wrote:
Rebdomine wrote:
1891 wrote:
Rebdomine wrote:
1891 wrote:

more specifically in that part of america. I live on the east coast and we dont have those out here, lol
Back to top Go down
Rebdomine

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 9:20 pm

FlyerFan wrote:
1891 wrote:
Rebdomine wrote:
1891 wrote:
Rebdomine wrote:
1891 wrote:

more specifically in that part of america. I live on the east coast and we dont have those out here, lol

I'm currently on the east coast as well. None of the grocery stores where I live make theirs fresh. I really miss King Soopers. I used to drive right by the Coalmine and Pierce store every morning on the way to work and get doughnuts.

FlyerFan

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 4:33 pm

Rebdomine wrote:
FlyerFan wrote:
1891 wrote:
Rebdomine wrote:
1891 wrote:
Rebdomine wrote:
1891 wrote:

I'm currently on the east coast as well. None of the grocery stores where I live make theirs fresh. I really miss King Soopers. I used to drive right by the Coalmine and Pierce store every morning on the way to work and get doughnuts.

But we do have Krispy Kreme here Smile
Back to top Go down
Freezingmoon

Freezingmoon

Contribution Points : 77820

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 9:28 pm

It's funny to see this post because I actually think the same thing when I see high school kids. It reminds me of my high school days too. I couldn't stand jocks and idiots concerned about status. I would have preferred a nerdy gamer type over some self absorbed tool.
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2016 3:32 pm

I'm sitting in a restaurant right now. I'm at the counter, eating a piece of apple pie.

The TV nearest me is tuned to The Dr. Oz Show.

A few minutes ago, I saw Susan Klebold pop up on the screen. My first thought was, "Oh, shit, I forgot about that!"

Then I realized that she will be on tomorrow's show. That was only a promo.

So anyway...

LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 1:07 pm

So I'm in a restaurant right now.

There's a guy sitting in one of the booths who looks a lot like a younger, straighter Cullen. (He has a blonde woman - his girlfriend or wife - with him.)

boringguy

boringguy

Contribution Points : 83010
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 9:06 pm

LPorter101 wrote:
I'm sitting in a restaurant right now. I'm at the counter, eating a piece of apple pie.

A few minutes ago, I saw Susan Klebold pop up on the screen. My first thought was, "Oh, shit, I forgot about that!"

So anyway...

She deserves to be on a better show than The Dr. Oz Show. That guy needs to have his medical license revoked. All that scam artist does is pitch useless "miracle cures" ( all endorsement deals-which he gets paid handsomely for) to his gullible audience of stay-at-home moms. He should have stuck with heart surgery.
Back to top Go down
Freezingmoon

Freezingmoon

Contribution Points : 77820

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 9:54 pm

boringguy wrote:
LPorter101 wrote:

So anyway...

She deserves to be on a better show than The Dr. Oz Show. That guy needs to have his medical license revoked. All that scam artist does is pitch useless "miracle cures" ( all endorsement deals-which he gets paid handsomely for) to his gullible audience of stay-at-home moms. He should have stuck with heart surgery.

Haha, I agree about Dr. Oz.  He's a quack and there's never a shortage of naive people who will believe whatever BS he says.  I can't stand him.
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 12:33 pm

LPorter101 wrote:
So I'm in a restaurant right now.

There's a guy sitting in one of the booths who looks a lot like a younger, straighter Cullen. (He has a blonde woman - his girlfriend or wife - with him.)

The Cullen lookalike is here again, this time with a guy. (Maybe he goes both ways?)

The creepy thing is that he is wearing this shirt:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Dave, you have a twin in [the area where LPorter lives].

Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96499
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 2:12 pm

I seem to find Columbine reminders places too. I went with my husband to a gaming center and the group we were with were already seated. When I turned around right behind me was a stack of games. Right by my face was the DOOM board game.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places   Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for Columbine in all the wrong places
Page 1 of 1