Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Noob question about number of deaths

Go down 
+5
TheSpiral
Jenn
shades
slippy123
Lizpuff
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Noob question about number of deaths - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob question about number of deaths   Noob question about number of deaths - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2016 10:42 pm

Eric's use of Luvox may not have been depression related. Luvox has many uses , including but not limited to : OCD, social phobia,panic disorders, and depression.

Given that it was prescribed for his racing thoughts, my guess would be that it was prescribed for OCD that may have been something more, such as Bipolar Disorder that was as yet unrecognized. Though Bipolar can not be diagnosed posthumously, it would account for some of the behaviors that were attributed to psychopathy and other symptoms described such as:

Rage (journal & outwardly displayed)
Grandiosity (journal)
Sleep disturbances (mentioned by his father)
Racing Thoughts (mentioned by him)

I am not a medical professional, but I do have Bipolar Disorder myself, and while I won't claim that he definitely did or did not have it, I will say that this is why I don't consider the diagnosis of psychopathy reliable. Some of the symptoms displayed on the psychopathy checklist are explainable by other disorders as well.

Source - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Editing to add - again, I'm not saying he did have it. I'm using these symptoms & diagnosis only as examples of what other conditions may explain some of his symptoms.

Last edited by lilypadlane on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NotYourRobot

Contribution Points : 74574
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Noob question about number of deaths   Noob question about number of deaths - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2016 10:43 pm

Let's not forget that Dylan shot a kid, Lance I think, point blank, in the face minuets after the massacre started when he asked for help, so how far can Cullen's theory about Dylan behind weak, depressive, and reluctant in the beginning, so easily manipulated by the big bad psychopath that was Eric really go.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Nirvana92

Nirvana92

Contribution Points : 83189
Forum Reputation : 80

PostSubject: Re: Noob question about number of deaths   Noob question about number of deaths - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 9:51 am

JessSmith wrote:
In My Opinion Eric and Dylan had a mixture of ego and complexes.

It is like, in some places, we have inferiority complex (but deep down we know we are equal) and elsewhere we have superiority complex (but deep down we know we are equal).

When we feel inferiority complex and low ego (in their case, maybe at school) we developed a depressive feeling that often leads to depression.

When we feel superiority complex and high ego, we feel like gods, as something unshakable and superior to all others. We thought that we can do everything and the others will venerate us.

Maybe a thing has fed the other. At school they were depresse and they developed a  severe increasingly depression .
When they leave school (to go home or something) their ego began to rise , and they began to think that the people who put them down were just a piece of shit and they would have to do something to counteract this . How they could continue to be demoted for peoples below them? It made no sense. (On their mind)

So , combining the fact Eric take luvox (which did he have suicidal and murderers thoughts all the time) and the fact he has a huge manipulation power, he may have convinced Dylan to join the scheme. How? Easy. Doing what the most terrorists do in order to recruit new members.

He took possession of the weaknesses of Dylan and his depression to convince him that the massacre was the best thing to do.

No offense but you seem to have a very "day 1" view of the case. Many people (myself included) fell for the ego stuff before digging deeper into the case. The truth is there is massive amounts of evidence that contradict the view that E/D saw themselves as Gods. Eric's ego was specifically tied to the "REB" character he created to supplement his own unwanted sense of self. Dylan's talk of zombies was nothing more than a depressed kid giving himself reasons to die. Eric committed the shooting to finally feel some sense of power, whereas Dylan did it simply to ensure is own death. Even then that's just putting it in simple terms. I'd definitely recommend you read around the board some more, and as others have stated stay away from Dave Cullen. It'll take you a while before you get a good grasp on the case. There's a reason we all keep coming back to it after all these years.

anna444 dislikes this post

Back to top Go down
shades

shades

Contribution Points : 79711
Forum Reputation : 38

PostSubject: Re: Noob question about number of deaths   Noob question about number of deaths - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 1:05 pm

Nirvana92 wrote:
Quote :
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

It is like, in some places, we have inferiority complex (but deep down we know we are equal) and elsewhere we have superiority complex (but deep down we know we are equal).

When we feel inferiority complex and low ego (in their case, maybe at school) we developed a depressive feeling that often leads to depression.

When we feel superiority complex and high ego, we feel like gods, as something unshakable and superior to all others. We thought that we can do everything and the others will venerate us.

Maybe a thing has fed the other. At school they were depresse and they developed a  severe increasingly depression .
When they leave school (to go home or something) their ego began to rise , and they began to think that the people who put them down were just a piece of shit and they would have to do something to counteract this . How they could continue to be demoted for peoples below them? It made no sense. (On their mind)

So , combining the fact Eric take luvox (which did he have suicidal and murderers thoughts all the time) and the fact he has a huge manipulation power, he may have convinced Dylan to join the scheme. How? Easy. Doing what the most terrorists do in order to recruit new members.

He took possession of the weaknesses of Dylan and his depression to convince him that the massacre was the best thing to do.

No offense but you seem to have a very "day 1" view of the case. Many people (myself included) fell for the ego stuff before digging deeper into the case. The truth is there is massive amounts of evidence that contradict the view that E/D saw themselves as Gods. Eric's ego was specifically tied to the "REB" character he created to supplement his own unwanted sense of self. Dylan's talk of zombies was nothing more than a depressed kid giving himself reasons to die. Eric committed the shooting to finally feel some sense of power, whereas Dylan did it simply to ensure is own death. Even then that's just putting it in simple terms. I'd definitely recommend you read around the board some more, and as others have stated stay away from Dave Cullen. It'll take you a while before you get a good grasp on the case. There's a reason we all keep coming back to it after all these years.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I feel both of you make equally good points. It's a debate but it'e entirely possible what Jess pointed out happened. It's a psychological trip.

eli27

Contribution Points : 83557
Forum Reputation : 135

PostSubject: Re: Noob question about number of deaths   Noob question about number of deaths - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2016 12:34 am

JessSmith wrote:

Lets not forget that Dylan was the first to mention the idea of a shooting. Eric was no scheme leader. With their journals, the complex/ego theory makes sense - HOWEVER - their journals are in no way an accurate account of who and how they were. More of a performance, so to speak. From the short clips we have of Eric's behaviour in real life, and from messages with girls or anyone other than just himself (in his journal) he is very different. I do not see him as or believe him to have been this super charming recruiter that others think he was, he wasn't leading Dylan along like some kind of pet dog. No - both were doing it for themselves, for their own reasons, and those were much deeper and more complicated than ego vs complex.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
shades

shades

Contribution Points : 79711
Forum Reputation : 38

PostSubject: Re: Noob question about number of deaths   Noob question about number of deaths - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2016 8:09 am

Just to be clear I agree with what [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] said as a possibility up till the manipulating of Dylan to join the scheme because, we all know how that truly went down.
No doubt about it they fed off each other but we got to be clear that NBK was Dylan's initial thought and Eric made it come to live, while Dylan was just as manipulative as Eric if not more as he had everyone fooled.

PostSubject: Re: Noob question about number of deaths   Noob question about number of deaths - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Noob question about number of deaths
Page 1 of 1