Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Eric's mobile

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
elia

Contribution Points : 101113
Forum Reputation : 0

Eric's mobile Empty
PostSubject: Eric's mobile   Eric's mobile Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 12:35 pm

Do you know what type of mobile phone is the one that Eric has in the cafeteria in this video [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ?
Back to top Go down
Wideawake

Wideawake

Contribution Points : 102226

Eric's mobile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric's mobile   Eric's mobile Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 1:04 pm

I don't know what type of phone it is, but if I recall correctly, it's not his phone. I believe it's actually Mike's and Eric was just playing with it.
Back to top Go down
queenfarooq

Contribution Points : 102812
Forum Reputation : 10

Eric's mobile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric's mobile   Eric's mobile Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 1:31 pm

Yeah I don't think Eric had a mobile phone he says he doesn't in his online questionnaire: #76 "Do you have a pager or cell phone? hell no" pg (26859)

This is a long shot considering I was not raised in the USA but around 1998/99 in my school in the UK the few people that had mobile phones used these types of Nokia phones: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Perhaps someone from the US would know what types of phones were popular with high school kids back then.

In the video posted you can see the phone pretty well at around 3:10 - 12 when Eric slightly tilts it towards the camera.

Last edited by queenfarooq on Mon May 27, 2013 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
elia

Contribution Points : 101113

Eric's mobile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric's mobile   Eric's mobile Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 2:51 pm

Ok...I thought it was Eric's phone...so at the end of his diary when his says that his mates had his phone number he meant his home phone??
Back to top Go down
queenfarooq

Contribution Points : 102812
Forum Reputation : 10

Eric's mobile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric's mobile   Eric's mobile Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 3:51 pm

elia wrote:
Ok...I thought it was Eric's phone...so at the end of his diary when his says that his mates had his phone number he meant his home phone??

I would assume this is what he meant yes. In the same survey on pg (26859) under the question "Do you have a personal phone line?" he answers "kinda, it's the computer line too" so it sounds like he possibly had a phone line in his bedroom. I think this is also mentioned elsewhere.
Back to top Go down

Eric's mobile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric's mobile   Eric's mobile Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 12:27 pm

queenfarooq wrote:
elia wrote:

I would assume this is what he meant yes. In the same survey on pg (26859) under the question "Do you have a personal phone line?" he answers "kinda, it's the computer line too" so it sounds like he possibly had a phone line in his bedroom. I think this is also mentioned elsewhere.

It was very rare to have a mobile then. My dad had one that he payed out the ass for. Home phones were very much the norm. Eric didnt seem like the kid that would actually like a mobile phone
Back to top Go down
tfsa47090
Global Moderator & Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 101488
Forum Reputation : 91

Eric's mobile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric's mobile   Eric's mobile Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 1:07 pm

PanterA wrote:
queenfarooq wrote:
elia wrote:

It was very rare to have a mobile then. My dad had one that he payed out the ass for. Home phones were very much the norm. Eric didnt seem like the kid that would actually like a mobile phone

Yeah, they were exceedingly rare, even in 1999. Beepers were the "thing" at that time (I personally couldn't stand those. They were so annoying and pointless, in my opinion, unless you were a doctor or employed in some other "on call" type of profession).

I also don't think Eric would be into them. He even said something in that chain email questionnaire that emphasizes that, I believe. One of the questions is something like "do you have a cell phone", and I think he wrote "hell no". I don't have it in front of me, but I think he said that. If columbine hadn't occurred, and he were alive, depending on his profession, he may have been forced to become assimilated with them (if he was working with general technology), but if not, I think he'd find the way that everyone is obsessed with them incredibly ridiculous.

I really don't like them, myself. I have a prepaid, ancient piece of junk, and I ONLY have it because there are barely any payphones in existence anymore, and I walk constantly, so I need it in case of emergencies. I'd prefer to just carry some change and run to a payphone if needed, though. I'm not a teen, but I'm not old. My mother has a better phone than I do, and an actual "plan", not prepaid. I just don't like paying so much money for something like that. I'm not into "texting". Everyone thinks I'm insane, but I honestly don't care. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere than on a ridiculous cell phone bill.

I think he'd find this photo to be a very accurate depiction of a large portion of the population today. (It's by Vincent Kerlow).
Back to top Go down

Eric's mobile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric's mobile   Eric's mobile Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 2:49 pm

tfsa47090 wrote:
PanterA wrote:
queenfarooq wrote:
elia wrote:

Yeah, they were exceedingly rare, even in 1999. Beepers were the "thing" at that time (I personally couldn't stand those. They were so annoying and pointless, in my opinion, unless you were a doctor or employed in some other "on call" type of profession).

I also don't think Eric would be into them. He even said something in that chain email questionnaire that emphasizes that, I believe. One of the questions is something like "do you have a cell phone", and I think he wrote "hell no". I don't have it in front of me, but I think he said that. If columbine hadn't occurred, and he were alive, depending on his profession, he may have been forced to become assimilated with them (if he was working with general technology), but if not, I think he'd find the way that everyone is obsessed with them incredibly ridiculous.

I really don't like them, myself. I have a prepaid, ancient piece of junk, and I ONLY have it because there are barely any payphones in existence anymore, and I walk constantly, so I need it in case of emergencies. I'd prefer to just carry some change and run to a payphone if needed, though. I'm not a teen, but I'm not old. My mother has a better phone than I do, and an actual "plan", not prepaid. I just don't like paying so much money for something like that. I'm not into "texting". Everyone thinks I'm insane, but I honestly don't care. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere than on a ridiculous cell phone bill.

I think he'd find this photo to be a very accurate depiction of a large portion of the population today. (It's by Vincent Kerlow).

Wow, I actually really like that painting/picture
Back to top Go down
Scypek

Contribution Points : 101904

Eric's mobile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric's mobile   Eric's mobile Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 4:45 pm

Heh. What can be wrong with mobile phones? They're just useful. I never used my computer to browse most webpages (such as this forum) as I don't want to waste time for that Smile Being home, waiting for the pc to start and so on. Maybe mobiles weren't that good in their early days, but today the're just a bliss. And I don't even have a smartphone, just a nokia 6300 with opera mini Smile

tfsa47090

Eric's mobile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric's mobile   Eric's mobile Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 9:23 pm

Scypek wrote:
Heh. What can be wrong with mobile phones? They're just useful. I never used my computer to browse most webpages (such as this forum) as I don't want to waste time for that Smile Being home, waiting for the pc to start and so on. Maybe mobiles weren't that good in their early days, but today the're just a bliss. And I don't even have a smartphone, just a nokia 6300 with opera mini Smile

For me, they cost too much. I do not have the money to waste on them. Yes, I personally view it as a waste, FOR ME. I'll be paying money to have a bunch of features I don't care about at all, nor will I use them. Again, as I said in my post, everyone around me thinks I'm weird (for this and many other reasons because they live their lives trying to fit in with everyone else), and that is irrelevant to me. I've always said when they whine about me not having a cell phone: "Hey, you want me to have one so desperately---one that's better than the prepaid piece of junk I have? YOU pay for it for me, then. You buy the phone for me and pay the bill. Otherwise, get a life."

I'm not saying this means everyone who uses one is stupid or unoriginal. What I am saying is too many people of ALL ages and generations are too dependent upon them (and again, that does not mean that everyone who uses one is too dependent upon them, but there is no denying WAY too many people are). They allow it to be a complete distraction, particularly at incredibly inappropriate times. They'd rather text than talk ALL the time. Many have absolutely NO attention span whatsoever, and one more time, I am not really discussing teenagers. I'm talking mid 20 somethings and up (WAY UP, even people in their FIFTIES--NO JOKE!!).

There is no way people cannot see how texting has affected people's ability to spell. It's embarrassing. I'd never hire a person who uses "text speak" in any situation aside from texting, and people I know have told me that they've gotten applications from people in their 20s and older who fill out applications using text "speak". And is there REALLY any legitimate reason people think it's alright to TEXT and DRIVE? I think that should be as severely punishable as driving drunk or high. My mother was almost killed by some moron texting and driving in the dark. I've almost been hit more times than I can count because some imbecile is on their phone while driving, my boyfriend has almost been hit numerous times for the same reason, as well.....I mean, how low are people going to go? A lot of people don't see this, though. It has become so commonplace, and it really shouldn't be.

Sorry for going off the thread's original topic, but I just wanted to explain. As a whole, there isn't something entirely wrong with mobile phones in and of themselves, but a large section of the population have allowed these little machines to control their lives, and it is the newest device to do this. Televisions did it, then video games, then pcs, and now these phones. I've never seen anything like what has happened with the phones, though. These phones, themselves, are absolutely wondrous in their capabilities. I can completely see the convenience they offer in a wide range of situations. They've probably been a blessing in emergencies and in situations where someone is always on the move/extensively traveling.

That said, I don't know this, and as was stated in my original post, it is what I think/my opinion, but knowing how into computers Dylan and Eric were, particularly Dylan---but then again Eric, too, with his gaming, I still don't see them being enamored with these phones if they were here today. I only have a rudimentary understanding of computers (more than just turning one off an on, but not quite enough to rebuild my own machine---YET. I am in the process of learning that), but people that I know who are very much into computers, like Dylan and Eric were, aren't huge fanatics of smart phones and the like. One of my coworkers is quite young; very early 20s. He has a basic mobile phone and barely uses it. He is interested in the mechanics of tablets and pads and laptops, but his love is his PC. He built it from scratch and continues to upgrade and tweak it whenever he possibly can. It is truly the best option when it comes to this type of technology. A phone/tablet/pad cannot give you the full experience of many, MANY things that a PC will. And knowing what we know about Dylan and Eric, I personally do not see them being huge fans of those things, particularly considering the professions they were hoping to enter.
Back to top Go down
tfsa47090

Eric's mobile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric's mobile   Eric's mobile Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 9:25 pm

PanterA wrote:
tfsa47090 wrote:

Wow, I actually really like that painting/picture

It is incredible, isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Eric's mobile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric's mobile   Eric's mobile Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eric's mobile
Page 1 of 1